Buying a name.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Papaumau
As there are a good few youngsters here I would like to hear their opinions about how right it is to buy designer gear when you know that doing so means that you are actually paying for the name on the label and not necessarily the excellent quality that the name might suggest ?

Please consider that in many cases now these designer-goods are manufactured in third-world sweat-shops where poor people and often children are working up to fourteen-hour days to make your goods for pennies so that you can get your designer stuff at an extortionate price.

ANY opinions are welcome !

Moo Cow
i dont buy desighner clothes no expression they are a waste of money

Darth Revan
Personally, I hate wearing name brand stuff... Especially Abercrombie. Basically what you're doing by shopping at places like that is paying the company to advertise for them. It costs them so little to manufacture their clothing, they should be paying ME to wear the "Gap" logo! It's like corporatism is trendy or something... Fashion styles may come and go, but supporting huge corporations is always in style. It really sucks...

It's yet another reminder of how effed up the so-called "civilized" world is...

Dexx
awh well. i can't say i mind owning a clothing of a certain brand. but since i'm not at the point of actually buying my own things i can only say what i THINk i'd do. and i wouldn't by an insultingly expensive clothing just for the brand...no way..

but people generally care about their image...and companies like some you guyz have mentioned can take advantage from that to charge their prices. SOME more expensive things really are better.....but most of those REALLY expensive ware aren't worth the price

Capt_Fantastic
Well, I do buy designer clothes. I like to keep up with whats in style, and the places you buy clothes that are in style are in designer clothing stores.

There's a difference between a tee shirt and a tee shirt that is cut in such a way as to be "in-style". You can go and but a 3 pack of FTL tees at K-Mart, but is it going to fit the same, or be cut the same, as a shirt made at Banana Repbulic? No. The FTL t shirt is going to be baggy and fit like shit. The Banana Republic T is going to have a tailored fit and look the way I want it to.

Also, in my case at least, typical stores don't carry clothes my size. I wear an extra small t shirt, the only place you can find them is in designer stores, unless you go to a womans store...but I'm not that gay. I wear a small dress shirt...but small at places like Dillards or JC Penny's fit like a tent.

Suits for example: You can go to the mens wearhouse and buy a 300 dollar suit that fits like a box and feels like sand paper, or you can go to Armani and buy a 2000 doallar suit that fits the way it's supposed to and feels and looks like silk.

It's all a matter of personal opinion in the long run, and the standards you hold yourself against.

As for the children working in sweat shops, I can't address that in any certain terms. Do I agree that kids should be worked to death? No. But I also don't believe in the deaths of people in the middle east over oil...but that hasn't stopped me from driving a gas powered car. Do I agree with animals becoming extict and the earth suffocating on our glut? No, but I live in a city that was built on a forest that no longer exists.

Mr Zero
AH! The old "there are worse thing than this happening in the world so i don't have to accept responsibility for my actions" argument.

Lets hope the guy who burgles your house or steals your car or worse puts up the same defense in court - i'm sure you will understand.

Capt_Fantastic
Oh, no. You misunderstand. I simply don't care. That's why when my house gets...burgled....I'll give a shit.

But, I'm not sure I see the logic in your thought anyway. What are you doing to "save the children"?

Scholar
well i like designer clothes but i just dont get them very often...i often find myself in JcPenny's and enjoying myself. I also wear a size x-small but um yea you can find them at pretty much any store, just look harder.

Silver Stardust
I don't buy designer clothes. Why? I buy most of my own clothes. And guess what, I don't have $60 to spend on a single pair of jeans. Besides which, I don't like wearing clothes that have a brandname written all over them. And I simply don't like the look of most brand name clothes, like Abercrombie or American Eagle or whatever, because they're far too preppy for my tastes.

lil bitchiness
To be honest, im not a big 'designer' person.

However, Papaumau i disagree with you about the quality. The reason these designers are so big and so expencive and so very popular is because they have excellent quality. Thats how they got so big.

Take electrical goods for example. I would rather buy sony things than some other random brand i see. Simple as.

silver_tears
I wear designer clothing mostly because of the quality, which I find to be much higher than other clothing, also because of the fit, most designer labels have different types of fits tailored into their clothing, and maybe on a subconcious level a little for the name.

Same goes for shoes even, the 120 dollar Nikes are made to last longer and fit and wear better. That is why they cost what they do for the most part. In shoes mostly, I don't buy cheap shoes because they aren't made for comfort and support as much as the expensive ones. Specially running shoes for gym class or such that will be getting alot of action.

Or electronic goods, my t.v. vcr, dvd player, stereo, camcorder and etc. is only Sony, here also for the quality and warranties and such on them. I trust Sony because I haven't been disappointed before with their products.

However I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a no name brand piece of clothing. If I see something I like, and it fits, then of course I would buy it regardless of the name. Or if I was light on cash and parents didn't provide me with the funds I wanted, I wouldn't necessarily mind a Old Navy tee shirt over a Guess one. happy

Df02
wear very little designer clothing...other than Fred Perry, because its a damn quality label, and its really well made clothes smile

Tex
Sil on a shopping spree : . . . . . . . taz "Me want cheap cheap cheap"

silver_tears
Not all of us shop at thrift stores like you doll cakes! winkiss

lil bitchiness
madmad Teeex, what have you done to my Daryl?!!!! madmad

Tex
Daryl? I gave him the works liver lips! winkiss

silver_tears
Still looks much more ****able then Bjork ever did! winkiss

Tex
Like what you see?
Too bad for you!
Yours I'll never be! winkiss

silver_tears
Who said anything about disrespecting myself so much as to wanting you puke
Oddly enough the make-over you gave my sig pic reminds me of you Texy! winkiss

lil bitchiness
OMG im so gonna book mark these pages, laughing out loud we provide such a good KMC entertainment!

BackFire
I don't buy clothes, my mom buys them all for me. If it were up to me I'd be wearing the same clothes I wore in 8th grade, despite the fact that they would hug me harder then Oprah hugs a fried chicken container. My mom knows this and just buys me K-Mart clothes. I really couldn't care less. I've never been one for style.

Tex
droolio

Detroit_Byatch
I don't buy designer clothes. Waste of money. Why pay 70 dollars for a pair of jeans when you can get them for 20?

BackFire
That's a nice pic of you in your avatar, Tex.

Tex
Does it tickle your man peninsula? smokin'

BackFire
Yes, it makes me all gooshy inside.

lil bitchiness
OMG im gonna fall off my bed from laughing! laughing out loud

BackFire
Yeah, that douche in your avatar is pretty funy looking. He must be taking a crap on all of his fans better judgement.

lil bitchiness
There are few more Daryl fans arround the board i just happened to run into smokin'

I'll change my avy, since its causing so much chaos! diva

Tex
Dont talk that way about my Daryl BF!

I'm completely in love with him after his recent makeover!
I've transformed him into a Cher back-up dancer reject! winkiss

Is lil on her bed again?
Such a hard worker she is, never wants to leave the work place!

Tramp! diva *snap snap*

BackFire
Now he looks like Forrest Gump.

lil bitchiness
mad

And Tex, yes, i am on my bed, unlike you, i dont sleep or do it in a ditch! mhm mhm! diva

manchichirtchit
it doesn't matter most of the time. if it looks good, i'll buy it regardless. but i love girbaud... been wearing it since high school.

BackFire
For your information, Tex is on my bed, spread eagle and waiting for my plane to land on his runway.

lil bitchiness
Ah, Texella, shes a busy girl, im just in my PJ's getting ready for bed, well you two have fun...and dont forget to pay up BF. no2

BackFire
Mine are always on the house, sweetheart.

Tex
I'm BF's hoe!

lil bitchiness
Free service, its what our Texella is well known for! happy

lil bitchiness
mad Stop that with my precious Daryl!! mad

The colours are kinda nice embarrasment

mad

BackFire
Yeah, that guy in your avi also gave me a hummer the other night for free.

Tex
I turned him into a 80s pleasure doll! winkiss

lil bitchiness
What is it with you and 80s roll eyes (sarcastic)

silver_tears
It's due to his lack of taste! winkiss

Silver Stardust
OMG you guys crack me up...laughing out loud

silver_tears
It's a gift when the three of us are near eachother laughing out loud

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud I've noticed!

Papaumau

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.