Should Anakin hold himself responsible or the Jedi (why Anakin had to fall)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Capt_Fantastic
So, do you guys think it would be more interesting for Anakin to wake up in the suit and hold himself responsible for Padme's death, or the Jedi. I know that there are certain facts that state that Anakin is responsible for her death and that Palpatine will tell him he killed her, but will he think to himself "What have I done"....or will he say "look what you (as in the Jedi) made me do!"?

I think that if Anakin realizes that he is at fault for her death that his fall to the dark side will be complete and total. It's clear that since he met Padme when he was nine that she has been the only thing that he really loves, besides his mother. Not being a Jedi, not flying space ships or pod racers, not fixing things. Those things are just interesting to him. Once he has lost his mother, Padme is all he has left. And once she is gone, no matter who's fault, he has nothing left. Basically, her death will be the catalyst to his final fall. I say final fall because he's been falling to the dark side since he hugged his mother goodbye on Tatooine. It's the first time he really felt fear...and we all know that fear is what leads to the dark side. What will make the total fall so instant and over whelming is when he realizes that it was his fault, just like he blames himself for his mother's death.

It's also what makes Palpatine the ultimate villain in the story. From the moment he met Anakin and found out that he may be the ultimate Jedi...the chosen one....that he would make the best apprentice. Palpatine hates the fact that Anakin is a Jedi. It's obvious, IMO, that Palpatine was never a Jedi. Palpatine views the Jedi way as weak and inferior. It makes Anakin the best candidate for being a Sith. Since Maul was destroyed on Naboo(and Palpatine clearly had the most time to mold him of any of the apprentices he has in the whole story) he knows that the only alternative (due to time constraints) are Jedi. Hence Dooku and Anakin. I think Palpatine knows from their first meeting that Anakin will become "Vader" so to speak. He knows he can turn him to the dark side....that's why Luke tells him his overconfidence is his weakness in ROTJ. (Granted Vader was right in ESB when he tells Luke that only his hatred can destroy him. When Vader finally pushes that button in Lukes heart and mind about Leia...Luke gives in to his anger and beats Vader. Only when he sees what he will become in the form of the twisted wires hanging out of his fathers wrist is his goodness cemented and permanately instilled) It's also the ultimate fullfilment of the propechy of the chosen one. The Emperor thinks he can avoid bringing balance to the force by corrupting Anakin...but in his short sightedness he doesn't realize that it is the LARGEST and most important aspect of the prophecy.

Clearly however, Obi-Wan feels a major sense of responsability in the whole situation.(other wise he wouldn't have spent the last half of his life hiding on Tatooine watching over Luke) He trained Anakin, he failed to show him the error of his ways...and emotions. But when you get right down to it, Obi-Wan is really the most innocent person in the whole story. He found himself in a position where he felt obligated to take on Anakin as a padawan. On top of that, as good and innocent as Anakin seemed...he was just a weak child when he left his mother. And on top of that still, Anakin is the chosen one...and Yoda, Qui-Gon, Windu, Kenobi...all of the others, are just pawns in the will of the force. Yoda knew what was going to happen...maybe not to the extent that actually came about...but he knew that Anakin shouldn't be trained...he already had too much attachment to the things in his life. That's why kids are taken away to be Jedi before they're old enough to become attached to their parents. It was the short sightedness of the other members of the council that eventually led to Yoda being "out voted", in a manner of speaking, and Anakin being trained as a Jedi. BUT that's the whole point of the prophecy in the story. It happens because it was meant to happen. Only Yoda, and Obi-Wan to an extent, knew that it would be bad for the future of the galaxy. The rest of the Jedi got caught up in the death of Qui-Gon and fulfilling his last request.(which of course was that Anakin be trained) They just didn't realize that Anakin HAD to fall in order to be redeemed at the right time and place where he could destroy the Emperor and bring balance back to the force. Which is why Anakin is the chosen one.

You know what would be really helpful, would be to read the actual wording of the prophecy...rather than just hear them talk about it.

robakin
Wow! you havn't been thinking about that have you???
But i agree with many of your points .. Yoda knew Anakin should not have been trained but if he is the chosen one he should be. I think Palpatine fears Anakin ( keep your friends close etc..) and knows he can destroy him.
GL says Anakin is selfish he doesn't want anything to change . But change is a natural part of life and its part of the Jedi code to accept change.
i don't think we should hear the wording of the prophecy it may spoil it.
Obi wan failed to train Anakin correctly so he does feel obligated to look after Luke.
Anakin holds the Jedi responable for their downfall but its Vader and Palps who are to blame maybe Palps the most as Anakin may have grown calmer as he got older as do we all!!

Jedi Priestess
If you read the book The Phantom Menace the prophecy is in there. Or at least a good description of it.

yerssot
hmphf, the one I don't have the novel off... can ya send it to me JP?

Jedi Priestess
could if I still had it, it belongs to my nephew and I gave it back when I was done reading it...try the library maybe?

Master Kadub
Anakin's selfish personality and love for Padme will cause him to blame the Jedi.....

You can see it coming from a mile away......

yerssot
JP... girl... I don't live in the States, I actually get my books from people visiting the country cause there is NOTHING here to get. (besides the comics, in an old dodge ugly nasty store you rather wanna run by instead of entering)

Cowboyography
Yeah I would love to hear the prophecy, and Who made the Prophecy, and who was there to hear it.

PVS
once anakin becomes vader, he will accept blame for nothing.
someone who is evil cannot feel remorse, or be honest, even to one's self.
vader is living a lie throughout the whole OT, until the very end, when he snaps out of it.

Cowboyography
another question is why does vader become so obedient. In the New series Anikin is a punk to his master, however Vader is very loyal and obeys the emporor's every command without question.

PVS
vader serves the darkside.
he's a slave.

smoker4
You dont understand the power of the darkside, i must obey my master! confused

Master Kadub
Anakin is already looking up to the Emperor in AOTC,
and I am sure this will go on in ROTS,
then he is basically brought back to life by the Emperor...

So by the end of ROTS and ANH, Vader is the apprentice
that runs the galaxy for his master.....

Obedient...

PVS
sit vader...SIT....good boy

smoker4
Poor sod, first wattos slave now palps doggy the circle is complete smokin'

PVS
yeah, seriously

out of the pot and into the fire...

smoker4
It made me wonder about his fall, the fact that he cant handle his independence and freedom cause he was brought up a slave??? smokin'

Master Kadub
laughing

Darth_Duffy
people mistake the actual purpose of vaders suit. its actually his gimp costume for sideous' pleasure

smoker4
The suit is very phalic like also, darkside submission, u are unwise to lower your defenses smokin'

PVS
damn, i can see this thread is on a downward spiral laughing laughing

cavola
The Jedi:

Had they not appeared on Tatooine none of this would have happened. besides they took him on when their ability to use the force had diminished. They became too sure of themselves.

Darth_Duffy
but whos to say that had anakin not been their, obi-wan may well have died during the clone wars as we know he saves his life in ep3 as did he in AOTC. he was a powerful jedi and a vital ally in his early years

PVS
sidious would have taken over one way or the other.
that is why the will of the force was to create anakin,
to eventually defeat sidious.

robakin
yeah i agree with that

Cowboyography
but why would "The Force" want to kill Sidious? when he is clearly the most powerful Force User!

Cowboyography
someone will say balance im sure.

PVS
because he is evil, and it is in his nature to extinguish all good.
thereby upsetting the balance.

the "will of the force" may not be biased toward good or evil...just balance.

EDIT> HEY! you posted that as i was typing...thanks for making me look so predictable stick out tongue

but of coarse its about balance, thats the prophecy

Darth Cain
Palpatine is all about controlling and, more importantly, destroying life. The Force is created by living things.....

cavola
i dont; Anakin worked as an insider. probably Jedi order espionage for palpatine as palpatine convinces him that the Jedi are corrupt.

he is said to be responsable for many Jedi lives. they trusted him and he literally stabbed them in the back.

Anakin was a barkin' fastard

Cowboyography
to bad were never given Palps motives. We see everything that compiled into Ani turning, I would like to know why Palp wants total control of the universe. Was it bad upbringing? Sexual Molestation? Perhaps he had ADD and was made fun of? We Dont know!!

cavola
i know that women go to the toilet together to plan world domination big grin

darktim1
I think he will be in pain when palpatine says that he killed padame and when that happens I would'nt want to be in the distance of him because his force powers are strong when using his painful memories.

cavola
he who ?? who killed Padme ??

PVS
the clones were ordered before anakin came.
the federation attacked naboo before anakin came.
sidious would have been elected chancelor anyway.
the fedration and republic would have went to war anyway.
palpatine would have been granted emergency powers.
the jedi would have been outnumbered by the stormtroopers and killed.
it all would have happened anyway.

the addition ofanakin just sped up the whole process

Ushgarak
Yes, I doubt we will see that Anakin turning was NEEDED for the Emperor to win.

We don't know that it is necessarily the Will of the Force that it becomes balanced (remember, Balance=Good, not neutral); it might be that the possibility is simply there.

Jedi Priestess
He's a Sith and the Sith crave power that's your motive.

PVS
...that and revenge

smoker4
that and a shrubbery smokin'

PVS
followed by another shrubbery, except a little higher than the other,
with a path down the middle stick out tongue

Jedi Priestess
and now the thread has went the way of the darkside... messed

smoker4
That should please you my lady!!! smokin'

On a serious tip! He will blame everyone else as is the nature of evil, one of the tag on lines for ep3 is betrayel?? isnt it?? he will think that he was betrayed by the jedi??!!

PVS
oh yes, that is what fuels his rage.
that is why he is different in ep5 & 6,
ben is dead, he has his revenge. there is no more fuel for the fire.
maybe thats part of the reason ben sacrificed himself, to extinguish vader's
rage, so that he could be brought back to the good side...

oh yeah...NEE NEE NEE NEE stick out tongue

smoker4
cool

guiro72
PVS, i thought it was more that he became aware of luke, and this started him thinking....they never say why he was obsessed with finding luke, and when he has him cornered instead of killing him, he tries to make buddies.....the prophecy was already coming to fruition....

and on the topic of the prophecy, there is a lot more to it than we know at present....more will come in ep III, but i don't know if it will just be more hints or a full reveal, but we only have the tip of the iceberg so far....

i will have to reread that novel again JP.....i had forgotten the prophecy reference in it....

Capt_Fantastic
I would agree for the most part. It's the discovery of his children that truely brings him back. He sees a lot of he and Padme in Luke and Leia.

PVS
yes, i was just pointing out other factors in vader chilling out from episode 4, where he's just a freakin madman, choking and yelling and killing. comparitavely, he's totally mellow in eps 5 & 6. even when he kills ozzel, he keeps his composure.

queeq
Did someone mention....the prophecy???? Call Ush and we debate it again.... laughing out loud

guiro72
i need to read that post....i was just saying what's in the ep I novel isn't the full prophecy....lucas has been hinting at a few surprises on that front that no one is currently aware of....

queeq
He even promised us some hints to the Jedi disappearing act in AOTC. That was some half-ass hint he gave us there. Useless.

PVS
yeah, that he did...and that he didn't miffed

we were lied to

queeq
Indeed. He better gives us ONE decent PT with ROTS....

guiro72
i feel like i'm owed a 7 hour movie with so many twists, answers and shock revelations it will take me eight years to fully comprehend them all.....

by the way, agree with your point from earlier PVS....i think in the cold light of day, facing obi wan helped vader start to remember his true self.....

PVS
yeah, killing ben gave him something less to feel hateful about,
ironically bringing him closer to the good side...or more open minded if anything.

smoker4
A harsh mistress the force is!!!! smokin'

queeq
The Dark Side is even worse. cool

Master Kadub
GL lies a lot.....he better get to the point this movie, and answer our questions and not leave us hanging for another 20 yrs....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.