Save My Computer Please

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dave123
OK, here's the deal: I have a WinXp PC (home) and everything was peachy happy i did a recent virus check, AdAware check and it was all good smile

but then, this morning, a friend tries to use Championship Manager as i watch Family Guy. Everything started screwing up, so i tried to fix it, but all I could do was restart. CTRL ALT DEL didn't work, so i manually restarted.

now when i turn it on, 90% of the time I get a blue screen with the egg timer - note: keyboard and mouse work fine.

the other 10%, i get a list of my usernames, the Windows logo and the "turn off" command.... except i can't click any of them no expression

i don't really wanna wipe my computer, i don't have a reboot disk, and i'm using my Win ME PC with 56k at the moment.... what do i do cry

anyone that can help - even you, yers, much appreciated happy

silver_tears
That's beyond screwed laughing out loud
And that was me being a help ninja

dave123
Irene, that's probably more useful than the crap i'm gonna get from the technical staff

"did you try running it in safe mode?"

"of course i ****ing did, do i sound disabled to you?" no expression

Clovie
do you have system restore thing working? erm

i have no other idea i'm very sorry for you cry

dave123
well, on the plus side I have broadband on my old PC now big grin

and i have no restore disk.... my friend has a WinXp disk i can borrow.... and there is no way to access system restore TMK erm

Clovie
yes. one good point.

but really you let someone to use it and it is totally broken blink

dave123
he was only using Champ.... it must have been a coincidence erm

Clovie
maybe he did it on purpose ninja
btw have you asked him what were he doing exacly?

dave123
laughing out loud he's not smart enough to do this, so i realy doubt it stick out tongue

and i saw what he was doing, just putting Champ into different disk drives getting it to work

note: it did work, but he closed it when he lost.

silver_tears
I say you shoot your friend yes

dave123
eek! thanks for the advice sweetie, the PC works great now but I have a dead body to deal with..... now I've just made another problem sad

btw, i'm kidding, i still need PC help sad

yerssot
excuse me? I just wanna help people out y'know sad

dave123
i know stick out tongue you and raz are the most useful people here (besides me)

any ideas?

yerssot
well, ... yes. but I don't like your tone mister!

seriously, which version of Championship are you playing? cause there were some people who had problems with playing/installing it up to the point it went spaz
and which team did he pick?

Clovie
HA eek! i told you it is your friend's fault.

dave123
bastard friend mad

it's the latest one.... i THINK he selected chelsea and my other friend i'm SURE was newcastle yes

yerssot
1.5? was it the early one where you don't need the CD to play it for? cause that pushes things to hell

hmmm, why pick one from Premier? take one from Third and get them to the top

dave123
well it does require the CD, yeah

and Scunthorpe were never intended to get that far up the table stick out tongue

yerssot
how about you place the HD in another PC (your old one?) set it as slave and start the PC up, delete CM from it, place it back in your new one and see if that solves the problem

isn't cambridge in that one? in the last edition I have, they were decent with that dutch goalie, Young, etc.

dave123
god knows, i haven't even checked it out myself

and no can do Mr Yers no this old PC ain't gonna let it happen no

firstly, it physically can't

secondly, i'm not sure if different OS's can let you do that

thirdly, i can't modify my new computer else i lose the guarantee erm

yerssot
then you can play it easy... since it's under guarantee, give it to the guys from the shop...easy, free and it's their fault wink

dave123
thats what i'm gonna do, but i'd rather see if it can be fixed tonight yes

and hopefully without wiping all my precious data.... i just got AVP sad

yerssot
and CM! though you could have just waited for FM2005 y'know

but my guess would be that the installation or something screwed up some windows files for logging in... since it's no virus or something like that

dave123
well CM was fine last night.... why would it only screw up this morning?

yerssot
misunderstood, thought it was you installed it messed

still... to me it sounds like a windows error... have you changed anything in your BIOS lately?

dave123
i removed some programs, thats all.... i don't touch the BIOS, ever.

and since the PC last turned on, all i did was run Champ

yerssot
it doesn't necessarily have to be CM of course, could be something in the background getting stuck

better get this one in I believe

dave123
well another source tells me that it can take 8hours for some crap to happen/remove itself..... so it might work in the morning. that true?

yerssot
selfhealing yes... but I'm not sure it will work now

dave123
*crosses fingers* i guess we'll find out.... erm

lil bitchiness
Ok, the first problem occured here:

Feel the pain Dave cry its unbarable!

Reborn Again
That's Ad aware for ya. It gets rid of pop-ups and behind the scenes programs that site's install, but it also screws up your computer royally! That's why I had to get rid of it and do a restore to a time when Ad aware was not installed. Now everything works fine. Free programs you dl are nothin' but trouble.

dave123
Ooooook, here's an update:

this morning I turn it on and.... eek! it works fine big grin

so I use my keyboard to turn the computer off PROPERLY

I get my mouse & modem wires from my old PC and put them into the new one, turn on the new PC and it's stopped working confused

so i think to myself "maybe it's the mouse/modem causing the problems"

i unplug them, turn it on again and still nothing sad

so basically: the PC still works, SOME times.... but very rarely

yerssot
there ya go... it worked fine and you still tried to fix something stick out tongue

when you unplugged the old ones, did you place the new ones in it again?

dave123
the new PC is currently working fine with everything, if that's what you want to know big grin

yerssot
then what isn't working now? blink

furryman
I always knew CM was bad happy

yerssot
no, the other footballmanager games are... but the new game should be Football Manager 2005 since the guys have cancelled their contract with Eidos and needed a new publisher

dave123
well it WAS working fine, but when i turned it on for a second time i still have the same problem

yerssot
but you said

so, ... the OLD one is not working now?
sorry, but I'm tired

dave123
OLD one is fine thumb up

NEW one WAS fine but is now SCREWED AGAIN thumb down

Clovie
FORMAT C happy

dave123
cry someone.....

Raz
Could you summarise the problem? confused

Generic answer: Get a XP CD and overwrite your current installation.

dave123
OK, I am currently sitting on my chair infront of a working PC.... now what do I do to stop it happening again?

yerssot
ask it politely?

first off... if you think it was CM, delete it completely
or to be on the safe side, do a system restore to a point where there were no problems with the pc?

dave123
ok, i removed Champ.... and now i'm back to my old one embarrasment

yerssot
your new one is still running I hope? in case you know what the problem is

dave123
.........new one is dead again

yerssot
why did you switch it off sad

dave123
well i went to the microsoft update website...

and it sorta stopped working erm

yerssot
the word "DUH" comes to mind... it works and you go to microsoft stick out tongue

what about giving it a rest for auto-healing again and then go to your system restore?

dave123
i THINK in the morning it will load up fine..... so in the morning i should restore it? big grin

Clovie
i hate microsoft.

yerssot
good thinking dave, exactly my thought wink

and who doesn't clovie

Clovie
bill gates eek!
it gives him money stick out tongue

dave123
sad

yerssot
did it load up well?

dave123
not at all

yerssot
tried giving it to the repairshop?

dave123
it's a weekend.... i'm gonna phone the technician's on monday

yerssot
it's your call

Raz
Have you tried doing an overwrite install? You won't lose your settings, but you will have to install all your patches again.

dave123
raz, you're talking dutch embarrasment

Raz
Get a Windows XP CD and boot off it. When asked where you want to install Windows, select the current Windows XP directory.

You should be asked whether you want to overwrite this installation, or something along those lines. Select YES.

Fire
Dave FFS Noobie :P

dave123
well the first thing i would have done is tried to reinstall my OS.... except I don't have the disk to do that stick out tongue

Fire
borrow ONE :P

yerssot
I thought I should do that?

dave123
well chaps, Champ WAS the problem, and I was the solution

thanks for all your help, much appreciated big grin

yerssot
but how did the season go now sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.