courage

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manchichirtchit
what is courage? a fireman running into a burning building? a policeman running after an armed suspect? a marine securing a perimeter? a kid standing up to his bully?

the meaning of courage to me is standing up for your own words and actions. it is finding the will to change things, accepting theses changes then moving on. courage is word of honor. courage is being able to say no when every one else is saying yes. courage is sayin i love you only when you truly mean it.

courage doesn't mean you go looking for trouble and beating up people because you can.

what is courage to you?

Fiery Eyes
Courage to me is, all those things you named. It's taking a stand when everyone else around you is doing cuz someone else is doing it. It's when everyone around you is saying the opposite, but you stand your ground. It's running in a burning building to save a life, standing up to the bullie---when you know he can get your tail hehe

Darth Revan
To me there's a fine line between "courage" and "lack of common sense". For example, running into a burning building if you are a fireman is courageous. Running into a burning building if you are NOT a fireman, though courageous, also shows some of the latter. Courage, IMO, is mostly to do with being able to think independantly from the crowd.

Rico31
I believe courage can't be measured, it depends on the individual and there limits. But if i had to define courage then it would be a terminal patient with a year or less to live and still able to smile and be happy in life..

Fiery Eyes
Well, if it's your kid and you're running in the burning bldg, it is couragous, well......i thk it would be no matter what. smile

manchichirtchit
that was a good rendition. it takes a lot to accept your fate especially when you knnow you're time is almost up.

Storm
Courage is doing what you' re afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you' re scared.

The real test of courage is in our daily lives. Or should be.
The courage to speak the truth. All the time. Because lies are the biggest and most obvious sort of cowardice that all of us hide behind.

The courage to speak our mind and not stay silent, simply because we are afraid that other people might not agree with us.

The courage to stand up for what we believe in.

Courage is the ability to act regardless of the feelings or potential consequences. Courage is following your intuition when the facts are against it. Courage is saying 'I am sorry' when you are at fault, 'I don't know' when you don't and 'I love you' despite the hurt, anger or fear.

Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it.

shaber
That list is all sound material. But much of it would get you arrested.

Fire
on some occasions.

as maajk always says courage is (altho I think can be with be working better) a poor substitute for common sense.

Darth Revan
Well put thumb up

big gay kirk
A brave man is a coward who gets on with the job.....

Cyd
Courage is somethig some people have deep inside, just as the honor. Courage is a feeling which make you do anything to reach your dreams. Courage make somepeople brake the rules, and also kick the common fear which Frighten the common people.

hh?
Originally posted by Darth Revan
To me there's a fine line between "courage" and "lack of common sense". For example, running into a burning building if you are a fireman is courageous. Running into a burning building if you are NOT a fireman, though courageous, also shows some of the latter. Courage, IMO, is mostly to do with being able to think independantly from the crowd.

co-sign^

PRINCE XIZOR
ok then whats cowardice?

BlackC@t
Courage is taking a risk, a scarifice.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Darth Revan

That's what it is alright.

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by PRINCE XIZOR
ok then whats cowardice?

Just the opposite.

alcoholicpoet
Courage is standing up for what you think of as right when you know everyone thinks your opinion is shit, that opinion could be liberal or conservative, it's courage in all respects.

cking
courage is when a person stands up for what is right even if they have to die for their belief.

KPrince
What is true courage? Can it be described clearly or is it an abstract concept? Is it a personal feat, or a selfish one? Can an individual be courageous only in one's own struggles, or does true courage only come through individual sacrifice for the many? What is true courage to you?

inimalist
Courage is somehow related to the odds of success or failure, though only in situations where failure has exceedingly negative consequences.

Courage always seems to be associated with ideology of some type, and to the "underdog" narrative. In this way it is a very personal and (in the Randian sense) selfish. In this same vein it is related to honor, which is almost entirely a social construct, meaning that in various instances the "personal ideology" could be replaced with "ideas of honor", and would make the courage much more altruistic, again in the Randian sense.

To me, it is an abstract concept, yet not overly complicated. Courage is standing up for what you know is right in the face of powerful opposition, when you stand to lose much from your stance.

KPrince
Originally posted by inimalist
Courage is somehow related to the odds of success or failure, though only in situations where failure has exceedingly negative consequences.

Courage always seems to be associated with ideology of some type, and to the "underdog" narrative. In this way it is a very personal and (in the Randian sense) selfish. In this same vein it is related to honor, which is almost entirely a social construct, meaning that in various instances the "personal ideology" could be replaced with "ideas of honor", and would make the courage much more altruistic, again in the Randian sense.

To me, it is an abstract concept, yet not overly complicated. Courage is standing up for what you know is right in the face of powerful opposition, when you stand to lose much from your stance.

Thanks for your response. It is interesting that true courage can be perceived as involving a sense of right and wrong. Here's another dilemma in defining courage: what about people who overcome a horrible sickness, or have survived after great losses in their lives? Can they be labelled courageous?

inimalist
Originally posted by KPrince
Thanks for your response. It is interesting that true courage can be perceived as involving a sense of right and wrong. Here's another dilemma in defining courage: what about people who overcome a horrible sickness, or have survived after great losses in their lives? Can they be labelled courageous?

Well, it satisfies pretty much everything I said about someone being courageous....

ragesRemorse
courage is attacking danger
Bravery is defending against danger

debbiejo
Courage is doing something even though you are scared to death.

Atlantis001
Courage is dealing with our fears. But it is too stressing to have courage all the time, relaxing is much better... for who can do it.

Cornlady
Originally posted by super pr*xy
what is courage? a fireman running into a burning building? a policeman running after an armed suspect? a marine securing a perimeter? a kid standing up to his bully?

the meaning of courage to me is standing up for your own words and actions. it is finding the will to change things, accepting theses changes then moving on. courage is word of honor. courage is being able to say no when every one else is saying yes. courage is sayin i love you only when you truly mean it.

courage doesn't mean you go looking for trouble and beating up people because you can.

what is courage to you?

Yes, I agree, courage is standing up in what your believe in.

Peace,
Amanda

Deja~vu
Courage sure is something we need a lot more of today.

Cornlady
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Courage sure is something we need a lot more of today.

Yes we do.

Peace,
Amanda

SpearofDestiny
A lot of people tend to mistaken courage as the opposite of fear.

It is not. There has to be fear first, for thier to be courage, courage is facing one's fear.

Cornlady
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
A lot of people tend to mistaken courage as the opposite of fear.

It is not. There has to be fear first, for thier to be courage, courage is facing one's fear.

I agree; it does take courage to face your fears.

Peace,
Amanda

Deja~vu
Courage is pulling everything that is within you, everything, to stand up for what you believe in, no matter the consequences. That is what the "Purple Heart" medal was for.

Courage are those that ideas they knew wouldn't be excepted but yet made their evaluations/studies/publications, knowing they wouldn't be accepted easily. These people are very known in our history books today.

Without some peoples courage I dread what we may have become today.

Cornlady
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Courage is pulling everything that is within you, everything, to stand up for what you believe in, no matter the consequences. That is what the "Purple Heart" medal was for.

Courage are those that ideas they knew wouldn't be excepted but yet made their evaluations/studies/publications, knowing they wouldn't be accepted easily. These people are very known in our history books today.

Without some peoples courage I dread what we may have become today.

I read that quite a few people did things, out of courage, that was not accepted easily.

Peace,
Amanda

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by super pr*xy

what is courage to you?

Anyone who dares to take on the demon king Halen, that or anyone who says Jar Jar Binks was good.

Or anyone who can say Sonic the Hedgehog makes great 3D games.

bodach
Courage is the will to live life with honor and dignity, to treat others with respect even when they don't treat you with it, to not allow the cowards and the weak souls to bring you down to their level.

Basically, courage is living a good life and being good to other people in what some will try to convince you is a shitty world.

Deja~vu
Courage is something that people can't do because of what others will think of them...........Loss too us all.

Dr. Leg Kick
http://mag.awn.com/issue11.03/11.03images/strike07_CourageTheCowardly.jpg

Courage

Deja~vu
laughing out loud

Adam_PoE
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear," Ambrose Redmoon.

lord xyz
Courage is where you do something and do not care about the consequences. Or is that confidence? stick out tongue

beast1234
you have to be specific when your trying to define courage because they is different type of courage. moral courage, physical courage, emotional courage etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.