Titanic Special Edition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpiderGurl
Does anyone know whether Paramount is going to release an anamorphic widescreen version of Titanic? It's the least they could do for the biggest blockbuster of all time. I hate letterbox DVDs since they look like crap on my widescreen TV.

Dr. Strangelove
I go to a lot of DVD sites and at least from what Ive read, I havent heard anything about a Titanic special edition.

WindDancer
Special Edition? What more could they add to the movie? Another 2 hours of delete romance scenes? More icebergs? 30 mins of Celine Dion's music?...

.......AAHHHHHH!!!! no

Neo Baggins
LOL

SpiderGurl
at least make it anamorphic widescreen. I'm fine if they dont add any extras.

britsboi123
Titanic Special Edition DVD Available October 2005
From IMDB:
Well... we're just back from Paramount and 20th Century Fox's special press event this afternoon in Beverly Hills. Director James Cameron and producer Jon Landau were on hand (as were Paramount CEO Rob Friedman and Fox chairman Jim Gianopulos) to announce the DVD release of the long awaited Titanic: Special Collector's Edition. As we first reported here at The Bits in February, there will be two versions... a 2-disc release and a 4-disc release, both of which will street on the same day in October. The exact street date and SRP are both still TBA (Paramount will release the discs in the U.S. and Fox will release them internationally on the same day). Just so you all can relax, the 2-disc version will basically be identical to the first two discs of the 4-disc release, so there's no need to buy both. If you buy the 4-disc release, you'll get ALL the extras and supplemental content available. Longtime readers of The Bits will be pleased to know that Van Ling, a regular collaborator with Cameron on his past DVD releases, has been tasked with supervising the production of this new edition.

Cameron and Landau revealed some details about the DVDs during the press conference, and I was able to get additional information during the Q&A session that followed their presentation. Both versions will feature the original theatrical cut of the film, which Cameron considers to be his 'director's cut'. He's just supervised and approved a new high-definition transfer of the film, so you can expect it to be presented (at long last) in anamorphic widescreen on the DVDs. Both DVDs will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 EX audio (DTS MAY be included as well, but this has yet to be decided - it's an issue of how much content needs to be included on the discs, and how much room will be available once all the extras are finalized). As with the recent 4-disc Lord of the Rings DVDs, the film itself will be split over the first two discs to allow for the highest possible video and audio quality. I was also able to learn that the film discs will likely include multiple audio commentary tracks - certainly one with Cameron, but also separate tracks with various crew members and possible a cast commentary as well.

In terms of bonus features, the film discs will offer a special 'branching' option (similar to what Fox has used on its complete season sets of The X-Files) that allows you to jump out of the film at various points (when an icon appears on screen) to view footage that was deleted from that particular point in the film. Some 58 minutes of deleted scenes will be available in all. Keep in mind, this will NOT be edited back into the film. The deleted scenes will be offered separately on the discs (in addition to their accessibility via the branching feature while viewing the film). The deleted scenes will reportedly have special video lead-ins and optional Cameron commentary that explains why the footage was cut. The deleted material is reportedly fairly substantial and will include a number of nice character moments with Jack and Rose, as well as additional less important (but historically accurate) footage. Cameron is currently making the creative decisions necessary to 'finish' this footage in order to bring it up to release quality (including any visual effects that might need to be completed, as well as supervising sound mixes and scoring the material).

Other extras you can expect on the new DVDs include a wealth of rare behind-the-scenes footage from the Lightstorm vaults - 2 full discs worth. This will include time-lapse footage of the massive set and studio construction, new and vintage cast and crew interviews and other never-before-seen material. Nearly 400 hours of behind-the-scenes footage was shot during the production of Titanic in all. Another long-time Cameron collaborator, Ed Marsh (who shot much of this footage originally), is culling through it all to produce a definitive feature-length documentary on the making of the film, taking you from the very beginnings of the idea with Cameron pitching the concept to the studio, through all of the stress, angst and criticism generated by the production, to the film's eventual release and massive worldwide success. Along the way, you'll hear from literally everyone involved in the production, including all of the major cast and crew. Both Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio have agreed to participate in the DVD production, for interviews and possibly commentary if schedules permit. By the way, you should already be familiar with Ed Marsh's work - he's the man who created the outstanding Under Pressure: Making The Abyss documentary on Fox's previous The Abyss: Special Edition (both the laserdisc and later DVD).

After the press conference, I had the chance to speak with Cameron directly for a few minutes. Asked about his take on the looming format war between HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc, Cameron said that he'd seen demonstrations of both formats, and has looked at each critically with an eye toward spotting artifacts and other quality related issues. He's impressed with both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, and feels that it's a bit of a wash in terms of which format has the technical edge. Although Cameron is looking forward to a future high-definition release of Titanic (and the new transfer of the film was done in HD), he's not planning an HD release anytime soon. This new SCE will be standard DVD only. When asked if he has a preference for either HD-DVD or Blu-ray, he wisely noted that he's letting the industry and the market decide which format will prevail, although he does hope that a single format will quickly be adopted by the industry as a whole.

Interestingly, Cameron also said that there were two main reasons why it took so long for a special edition DVD of Titanic to happen. The first is that the previous movie-only version is still selling quite well (meaning there was no urgent economic pressure to get a more elaborate version done before this). The other is that the process of making the film was such a grueling experience that most involved needed to leave the project behind for a few years in order to feel the desire to revisit it again for a worthy special edition. That said, Cameron and Landau have been planning this new edition for nearly two years, and have put a great deal of thought into what they want to include for the film's many fans.

On an interesting side note, Cameron also spoke about his passion for 3-D film presentation. He and fellow filmmaker George Lucas are spearheading a major effort to get movie theaters around the world to upgrade not only to digital projection, but also to add the capability to exhibit films in 3-D format. In fact, Cameron and Lucas are hosting a demonstration of the 3-D process for theater owners at the ShoWest convention in Las Vegas this week (in addition to CG-animated 3-D films, Lucas's people have reportedly developed a way to render 3-D versions of existing 2-D films). Cameron says that this is the main reason he's waited so long to begin pre-production on his next major theatrical film - a live action version of the Japanese anime Battle Angel Alita. Cameron plans to shoot the film digitally in 3-D format. What's more, he says that Lucas and other filmmakers (like Robert Zemeckis and possibly Peter Jackson too) are also planning to shoot 3-D films in the future. They expect that the availability of good 3-D film content will drive interest in the 3-D experience theatrically, and that in turn could fuel demand for bringing the 3-D process into the home as well. Cameron noted that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc (and current DVD as well) could be adapted to deliver 3-D footage, but that the main obstacle to high-quality 3-D at home is the low refresh rate of current TV monitors. Displays offering much higher rates will be needed in the future to show flicker-free 3-D images in your living rooms.

So there you have it. All the available details regarding the forthcoming Titanic: Special Collector's Edition and some other interesting stuff too, all straight from The Man himself. I have to tell you, I really enjoyed the opportunity to speak with Cameron in person. He's clearly very thoughtful, intelligent and savvy in terms of the latest developments in film and video technology, and I found him to be very genuine and personable. I look forward to having the chance to speak with him at greater length in the future.

Just so you know, there's no cover art available yet for these forthcoming DVDs, and all of the specific disc specs are still being worked out. You can be sure that we'll get them to you as soon as they're finalized by the studio. I'll try to post a few pictures from today's event in the next day or two for those of you who might be interested. In the meantime, I hope you've all enjoyed my report.

Until tomorrow... stay tuned, DVD faithful!

Bill Hunt, Editor The Digital Bits [email protected]

SpiderGurl
Thanks for the info britsboi. Really looking forward to buying my copy.

tabby999
i didn't read that info but i dont think there is any need for anything to be added to it. in truth, they should cut 3 1/2 hours out. introduce jack, then sink the damn boat, we all knew how the movie was going to end, it was just 3 1/2 hours of filler

Jackie Malfoy
That movie sucks.The musical they made out of it was so much better.JM

tabby999
the movie sucked, the music sucked, out of ten i gave it 1 (for the sets)

GeorgeStu
601 million, highest grossing movie of all time....yeah, it sucked!

OB1-adobe
Cameron's extended versions of his movies are so god awful.

Aliens: ehh "Why did you put that back in?"

T2: puke "this movie is dragging on"

tabby999
Originally posted by GeorgeStu
601 million, highest grossing movie of all time....yeah, it sucked!

just because you can suck 601 million out of idiots dosn't make it good.

GeorgeStu
Originally posted by tabby999
just because you can suck 601 million out of idiots dosn't make it good.

Actually that is exactly what it means!! If it sucked, people would not have not kept going back to see it! That's just common sense.

jaden101
hahaha...special edition titanic...with alternative ending...the boat doesn't hit the iceberg

Darth_Vader05
What is wrong with you people why do you hate the movie Titanic did you people forget Titanic actually ****ing happened and you all are insulting those who lost there live on the Titanic so that other people could live....

Darth_Vader05
What nothing to say come on im wating for a reply and you people dont know what James Camron did to make this film.

Darth_Vader05
And how can you poeple hate Celine Dion after all she went through in her life to get were she is today she has a wonderful voice and is better than any other chick singer out there!

jaden101
Originally posted by Darth_Vader05
What is wrong with you people why do you hate the movie Titanic did you people forget Titanic actually ****ing happened and you all are insulting those who lost there live on the Titanic so that other people could live....

laughing

i know it happened...so why spoil the memory of those who died by turning the tragedy into a ridiculous love story about 2 people who were never on the titanic

and why show actions from people who did die on the titanic that never actually happened...tainting the memory of 1st officer murdoch who really died on the titanic...by showing him shooting a passenger and then killing himself...when the reality was that he was a hero who saved many people yet perished himself

GeorgeStu
Originally posted by jaden101
laughing

i know it happened...so why spoil the memory of those who died by turning the tragedy into a ridiculous love story about 2 people who were never on the titanic

and why show actions from people who did die on the titanic that never actually happened...tainting the memory of 1st officer murdoch who really died on the titanic...by showing him shooting a passenger and then killing himself...when the reality was that he was a hero who saved many people yet perished himself

Actually no single account of Murdoch's actions has been deemed the right one. It is written that he actually did control the crowd with a gun and also did kill himself with that gun. I found no evidence of him shooting any passengers but like I said, there are so many different accounts. The movie did not make stuff up, it was actually extremely historically correct. Cameron used 5 Titanic experts as technical advisors so nothing was just made up for the hell of it when it came to the history. Now of course the story of Jack and Rose had to be for the movie purposes but Murdoch was the one, along with the captain because he lacked the balls to stand up to Ismay, who was at fault and it was shown perfectly in the movie.

Murdoch opened the broad side of the ship towards the iceberg and he put the engines in full reverse thus slowing the rudder down. As the 1st officer he should have known all of that and just stopped the engines and hit the iceberg head on, the ship would not have sank and all those people would not have not died. But it was not just him like I said, the captain is ultimately in charge and should have stood up to Ismay more. If anyone is the hero, it is the 2nd officer Lightoller. I know this is about the DVD and not a history lesson so if anyone wants to talk Titanic, feel free to leave a PM.

tabby999
Originally posted by GeorgeStu
Actually that is exactly what it means!! If it sucked, people would not have not kept going back to see it! That's just common sense.

there were people who went back to see the Spice Girls movie again and again. $601 million is money from all the thick as shite teen girls who go to see Leanardo time and time again, irrelevant of how shit the movie was. thats common sence

GeorgeStu
Originally posted by tabby999
there were people who went back to see the Spice Girls movie again and again. $601 million is money from all the thick as shite teen girls who go to see Leanardo time and time again, irrelevant of how shit the movie was. thats common sence

you are entitled to your opinion. Fact still stands that it is the highest grossing film of all time!

Gaetane
I've read a lot of books about the real event on the night Titanic sank.
And i must say i agree with 'Georgestu'
no one really knows what really happened that night, only what the survivors said, and even their story were contradicted. Shots were fired
but no one knows by who. Madeleine Astor claimed she SAW Murdoch shoot two steerage passengers who stormed the remaining lifeboats and then killed himself. Others claimed it was Chief officier Wilde.
All in all i think the movie was pretty accurate.
And i can't really understand people can say they didn't like it.
It was after all the biggest blockbuster off all time!

Dresta
you know i still don't know how this film got an Oscar let alone 11. i'm amazed i actually was able to watch the whole crap thing.

Stealth Agent
What are you peoples problems. It was a love flick about the titantic. No one said you have to like it but you dont have to be ass holes about it. People liked it, as a love stroy it was a good movie. im siorry it was a science fiction, or action flick movie or whatever the hell you guys are into.

Science Fiction how the titantic went down

Dresta
it was shit end of story it was over 3 hours of Dicaprio and Winslet talking crap. the only good bit of that film was when it ended i was bored to death and i watched it on a plane. i would rather sit and stare at a blank wall then watch that film again.

Clementine
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
What are you peoples problems. It was a love flick about the titantic. No one said you have to like it but you dont have to be ass holes about it. People liked it, as a love stroy it was a good movie. im siorry it was a science fiction, or action flick movie or whatever the hell you guys are into.

lol...I think it's funny how so many people hate it now roll eyes (sarcastic) Alot of people are afraid to admit that they actually liked it *gasp*, and, heaven forbid, went to see it in the theatres more than once! laughing out loud The fact is, it is the highest grossing film of all time, and if it sucked that bad...well something's wrong with that picture. I personally like it still, and I know a dozen more people who do too (but are too embarrassed to admit it roll eyes (sarcastic) ). If you don't like it, that's fine, I can understand why...lots of people don't like romance movies, and this is definitely one of them. I'm not into action/sci fi flicks myself, so I know where you're coming from. smile

BabySpark54
WHATS YOUR PROBLEM!!! If u didnt like the movie that doesnt mean u have to insult the people that did!!!

tabby999
we're just pointing out why we think the movie sucked

Clementine
That's sort of like me going into an Ice cube thread and saying how I think rap sucks

indie_director
well first, let's not go onto a forum about the movie where people would be praising it. if you want to diss it, create your own damn thread, alright? second.. there are two things that have ruined my life because I never got to experience them. 1) the hysteria of Titanic, I was 7 when it came out and never got to see it in theatres. 2) never getting to see Spice Girls in concert. laughing out loud

Snowbeast
The movie's good despite it's flaws, looking forwards to the 3 disc SE.

ledonias
you guys should not run the movie down people died in real life so if you dont like the movie keep it 2 urself anyway im looking forward 2 the SE here in australia we get a 4 disc set or a 2 disc set we dont get the 3 disc set so yea

04wayne
To all you none beleivers out there, Titanic is the highest grossing movie of all time having made nearly 2 billion dollars at the box office and the reason for this is simple - Celine Dion's Soundtrack

olchik
I haven't heard anything about special Titanic edition

tabby999
haha, yeah i'm sure it was all Celines doing. and i only just found out that in the movie, the ship sinks in real time. if i'd known that, i'd have gone back in time and sunk it quicker.

Susan-Storm
Heck i am only going to buy it cause Ioan Gruffud has like a five minute part in it as a British officer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.