My Reviews

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Ok, so, now I've got into my favourite University, they have an opening on the newspaper team for a Book Reviewer - moi! big grin

So, I have to practice, and have some good sample reviews for them by next month.

So, I'm gonna post them here! I'd appreciate some feedback on my review, but if you want to discuss the book, can you open a discussion thread for that? I'm sure if you ask BadKitty nicely, she'd even put a link to your discussion thread in my review! big grin

I'm gonna try to do a review a day, and they will get longer as I have more practise.

Here we go!

Phoenix
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0007106963.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Danny Lamb is different - though its hard to say why - and Toby dreads being seen as his friend. Toby doesn't want to bully Danny and he certainly doesn't want to hurt him. But on a school trip to Normandy, close to the D-Day landing beaches, a harmless game goes dreadfully wrong..."

'Hangman' is a bleak story which believably shows the depths of depression and depravity teenagers can sink to. A quote from Mercedes Lackey comes to mind - 'He was being tortured. That's what we'd call it in an adult and I see no reason to call it by a lesser name in children.' This is my view from working with children subject to bullying, and it is certainly the view portrayed by Jarman through this book.

Old before his years, Danny is a sensitive, shy boy, with a flair for languages the other boys deplore. With a passion for life and learning rather than football and farting, Danny is an easy target for the prepubescent pack, boys too ready to follow the crowd rather than stand alone and be an individual. Abused an alone, Danny is mentally tormented day after day, given false hope that he might be finally accepted. The gang's worst trick could prove to be their last, as the situation takes a turn for the worse, heading down a path that could lead to an end to Danny's pain - for ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.