Anakin's training

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

morgan01
Was wondering what would have happened if Qui-Gon had beaten Maul and trained Anakin himself. Would things have turned out differently? It seemed Obi-Wan didn't quite know how to handle Anakin, and it seemed Anakin as a boy respected and looked up to Qui-Gon more so than Obi...

Just a thought... I mean without Qui-Gon's dying request would he even have been trained...

Lyn
There definitley is a lot of 'what if's' in regards to Anakin's training. I get the same impression about Ani respecting Qui-Gon more. Then again, Qui-Gon did save him from a life of slavery. I suppose Obi-Wan had massive shoes to fill in that respect. Perhaps Anakin was just the kind of Jedi who couldn't have been trained by anyone.

Darth Cain
Qui-Gon probably would have done a better job than Obi did. But his not dying would change a lot wouldn't it? Dooku might not have left the order....
The most important difference Qui-Gon could have made is being a surrogate father to Anakin, that might have kept him away from Palpatine. Plus, Qui-Gon was willing to bend the rules a bit and that might have helped Anakin deal with his training.

Jedi Priestess
GOOD Q! I have wondered this myself. And I think QG would have been able to reign Anakin in a little more. It seemed like Anakin had more respect for QG than he did for Obi-Wan IMHO. Whould QG been able to stop Anakin from turning to the darkside? Not sure but I think he would have had a far better chance than Obi-Wan did.

ASSMAN
Nice thought, that does make me think. But if I had to guess Anakin probably woudn't have become Darth Vader because Qui Gon's death was one of the resons that Count Dooku left the Jedi Order. If Dooku never left the order Sidious never would have had an apprentice.So Sidious's plan never would have worked out. Plus Anakin probably would never have been trained anyway because the only reson he was was trained is that Obi-Wan said to Yoda that he gave Qui Gon his word Anakin wasn't gonig to be trained before Qui Gon's death...

***ASSMAN***

Lyn
DC has a good point. Anakin didn't have Qui-Gon and didn't really respect Obi-Wan so, he went looking elsewhere for guidance. Nicely pointed out...thumb uphappy

Darth Cain
Thank you, Lyn, we Sith can be very insightful sometimes......

embarrasment

darktim1
I think he would have been stil bothered by his mothers nightmares who knows qui gonn could have joined count dooku maybe not but I think anakin would still have been bothered but not as much.

Jedi Priestess
ooooooo Cain have I got a thread for you.....click the link below my sig wink

Lyn
Your welcome DC...happy

yerssot
it doesn't matter what "if's" you can come up with... in the end it stays the same: Anakin is the Chosen One who will bring balance to the force

if QGJ didn't die, the story would have been completely different of course, but Anakin would still kill Sidious in the end

smoker4
Nice question, i agree with the ass master that anakin wouldnt have been trained if qui-gon had lived, so therefore would palps have recruited him? just think darth vader with a totally different training, awesome!!! smokin'

guiro72
agree on some level with most of what's posted above, so this next point isn't an argument against any of it.....

supposedly anakin's rebellious nature and anti-authoritarian stance was passed from dooku to qui gon, and then on to anakin....this has been stated oficially a long time ago (though don't ask me where, or for direct quotes)..... if qui gon had survived to train anakin then, i guess you might think this would have exaggerated the problem rather than avoided it....

but on a gut level i think it would have been better for the reasons everyone else has stated....

oh yeah, another thought....keeping in mind that qui gon and dooku supposedly had so much in common, and how strongly qui gon felt about anakin's training, even against the wishes of the council, is it possible qui gon might have quit the order to train anakin outside the jedi establishment?.....just a thought.....

Master Kadub
This isnt even a question:

Qui Gon wouldn't brought Anakin to his full potential without Anakin falling to the darkside......

Obi Wan would've been just another Jedi had that happened though;
and not propelled to the level he was propelled to by defeating Maul.

Maul is gone, Dooku is still with the Jedi Order and Palpatine is still
hiding out in the Senate for a in route to full fill his plans....

Also, we have no Luke/Leia and no heros in the OT.....

Darth Cain
If Anakin had been carrying a torch for Padme since the age of 9, that still might have been a problem. I'm sure Anakin would have found his potential with Qui-Gon training him- he did with Obi's less than stellar teaching. The real question would be: how would Anakin bring balance in that scenario?

queeq
By killing Sidious (i.e. the Dark Side/Sith) in ROTJ.

Darth Cain
Would that situation have occured in this scenario? Maybe if Maul hadn't died.
In that case, Anakin might've been the galaxy's greatest hero rather than its second worst villian..........

yerssot
DC, it doesn't matter what would happen and what could have happened, the ONLY thing that matters is that anakin IS the chosen one, the one who will bring balance in the force.

The entire SW Saga is how Lucas envisioned his fall/redeeming would go, and the numerous if's in the story still will give the same results: the death of sidious

PVS
quigon loved anakin like he was his son

obiwan loved anakin like he was his little brother

it might have been better for anakin to have more of a father figure than obiwan. but who knows, maybe the bottom line is sidious would have corrupted anakin one way or another. he managed to corrupt quigon's master, so there you go

Master Kadub
PVS,

I couldnt agree with you more, except for Anakin still falling to the darkside...
I believe the bond between Qui Gon and Anakin was strong; and that father figure would've played big....
Palpatine would've never succeeded....

smoker4
But if qui gon had lived anakin wouldnt have been trained????

guiro72
this is why i thought perhaps, being such a stick in the mud, qui gon might have quit the order and trained anakin solo.....he seemed pretty obstinate about it....

and i kind of think anakin would have turned somehow anyway, whatever the situation....i guess it would depend on the specifics of the prophecy (whether it mentions him turning and then coming good or not).....

Capt_Fantastic
Thats kind of what I was thinking. Qui-Gon seemed pretty adamant about training Anakin. Even to the point of kind of abandoning Obi-Wan to do so. Qui-Gon was kind of like the father who dies and leaves the older brother to do the best he can with the younger.

This also raises the point of Dooku leaving the order. I think he would have left had Qui-Gon not died anyway...he was under the control of Sidious at that point anyway. But, I also believe that had Qui-Gon lived and lef teh order to train Anakin, that that would have made Anakin turn that much sooner.

guiro72
agree capt fantastic, i think it would have sped up anakin's turning....we don't know for sure that dooku was under palpatine's influence when he left the order though, it could have happened after (not that that changes anything).....never understood why he quit because qui gon died (i understand him being annoyed or upset, but why would you hold the jedi responsible for it?).... i always thought he was just using it as an excuse....

SOCKpuppet
maybe this would have made a difference in the early stages of training but none in the latter children which is what anakin was in ep1 naturally look up to there elders and have more respect however when thos good old teen years kick in they become decidedly more rebellious sparking conflict etc so whether it was qui-gon or obi wan i still think the outcome would have been the same

Master Kadub
I think that Qui-Gon, understanding the prophecy, would have completed Anakin's training......
Yoda, and the rest of the council would've agreed in the end....
ObiWan wouldve completed his trails....

And Palpatine wouldve been set back another 100 yrs....

I think the wild card would've been Dooku...."is Qui-Gons death the Catalyst that causes Dooku to leave the Jedi order.....or was is evident that he would leave the order and Palpatine was an opportunity for him to set off and try to fix the galaxy by his own means...?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.