"Birds of the same feather flock together."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
Is this always true? Explain. cool

finti
if that was the truth we could kiss our asss godbye when it comes to humanity

Victor Von Doom
It's probably an unfixed normative value from which deviation often occurs.

Manôkhâu
Hmm.....the title rhymes....stick out tongue

Darth Revan
Depends on how you interpret "birds of a feather". What is it that makes people similar, or different from one another? Beliefs, values, hobbies, appearence, what?

Cipher
People with common interests, religions, ethnicities, etc. tend to associate with others like them. Its part of human nature....

Alpha Centauri
It's called having buddies.

-AC

Mr Zero
I went to a comics fair this weekend past - and wading around through hoards of geeky nerdlings I discovered that as much as I hate everyone - I reserve my bitterest hatred for people who are in any way like me.

And informational education zero sez:

The phrase is from the greek "Birds dwell with their kind" - the english translation (1st recorded in 1545) is "Birds of a feather flock together" - where you got this "of the same feather" I do not know.

Jury
confused I don't know...

I've heard that since I was in elementary...

"Birds of a feather flock together"
"Birds of one feather flock together"
"Birds of the same feather flock together"

Don't they mean the same thing? confused

Cipher
Yeah, they do. Its not complicated, really. Its human nature to asssociate with people who think like you do and/or have similar beliefs or interests.

And yes, birds of a feather flock together.......

Papaumau
Of course they do...It's called "safety in numbers" !

People always feel more comfortable with other people who are like themselves. Once they are part of a group - gang - they then have the group consciousness and the strength that goes with it.

Sorry Finty...but that IS the way of the human just now !

Maybe when we evolve into Homo-Superior we will not need such support !

Imperial_Samura
I would say so, in terms of broad personality types and often race at least. Look and cows and sheep, in the day they might mix while grazing, but come night they divide and clump together. Also look at school, I am sure everybody notices how people just seem to move towards the group they feel most comfortable with (their birds of a feather).... although not always, after all there is some truth in opposites attract.

Turbo-Cajun
There is no such thing as human nature....its a cop out answer used when confronted with an question which is difficult to answer if answerable at all

TheFilmProphet
I agree.

Gregory
People act in certain manners. We call those manners human nature, and it's silly to say that it doesn't exist.

Reborn Again
If you're referring to social isolation and groups, then perhaps yes. Most social groups, idealogies, stay in the same neighbourhood because they feel comfortable with their birth race. Chinatown is a great example. There's one of these in everyone city around the world. The Bronx is another example. Hope no one takes offense to this but mostly African American's reside here. We feel more comfortable with people that look like us. This is what I have noticed. Please don't take offense to this.

TheFilmProphet
Alot of times they live there not because of choice but because they can't afford to move somewhere else.

Reborn Again
True, but they become a social group.

shaber
Only in some senses.

TheFilmProphet
Well if your going to be forced to live somewhere you might as well make the most of it and become friends, social groups, etc.

Syren
I think it's true to a certain extent. Personally, I like that some opposites attract, but I think the saying itself stems more from the fact that most species will stick to their own. Because humans are so much further adapted, I don't think it applies to us as deeply.

Reborn Again
Sometimes being forces somewhere creates a social group, however leaving is more difficult because you enjoy conversing with people of your own race. It's debatable.

Syren
Race? It could mean anything other than race.

TheFilmProphet
True. It doesn't neccessarily have to be race it can be anyone else who is being forced to live in the same area or location as you are.

Syren
Agreed. I read it more as people with similar interests, peer groups, intelligence levels etc....... but I guess race is another element.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah I agree.

Syren
big grin Oh, the irony wink

TheFilmProphet
Ghetto:A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

Although in my oppinion they make it seem as if there is only one minority group in a "ghetto".

Syren
Yeah, and in my (limited) experience, people from 'the ghetto' haven't seemed to exude "I was forced to live there".

TheFilmProphet
I myself have known or experienced the life of lving in the "guetto" and ALL times it has been because of an insufficient amount of money that people live in these areas.

Syren
Yeah, but I meant that you (who live in or have experienced the ghetto) still come across as very proud of your roots.

TheFilmProphet
True. Very proud when I as a individual can say I have overcome it all.

Syren
yes I understand that at least........

TheFilmProphet
Thanks

Silver Stardust
That's how I read it...

Yeah, I think that people do tend to stick with people they can relate to, just because they feel more comfortable with people they know they have a lot of things in common with. But I also believe that there's truth in the saying "Opposites attract" because of the fact that humans will always (for the most part, anyway) be curious about something that's different.

Syren
Lana, we are twins big grin

Silver Stardust
Wow, we not only like almost all of the same things, but we think alike, too...big grin

TheFilmProphet
"Birds Of The Same Feather Flock Together!" eek!

Syren
laughing

Excellent!!!

Silver Stardust
big grin

Nice!!!

Cipher
The statment is just so obviously true its hard to debate.

In response to an earlier post, changing the subject in your post is also a cop-out. What I meant by human nature was not difficult to understand....

People associate with others like them: ethnicity, common interests, etc.

Syren
Yeees, but hasn't it also been proven that opposites compliment one another well? For example, my father and mother are very alike, but they divorced. Fighting fire with fire and all that. But now my father is remarried to a woman who couldn't be more different. She sees him as her 'ball and chain' (in the best possible sense), he sees her as his wings. Ergo, they bring the best out in one another. I understand that in essence they do have some things in common, but fundamentally they are extremely different people.

Cipher
You make a good point, though marriage is a little different....

Even when people are friends with someone different than themselves, they still have some common interests. If they didn't, why would they have gotten to know each other in the first place?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.