hay wondering if anybody could give me a hand?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nancy_boy
Hi I'm a new member and would like to say hi first to every one. I'm directing a horror movie that me and my friends are going to be makeing i was wondering if anyone could help me buy giveing me any links to sites or such like, this is the first movie that i will have made so i have little knowledge and no expereace. We will only be able to stump up a few hundred quid so it is very low buget and we dont even have a camera sad. the plot is sorted though.
any ideas would be great thnx, especally relateing to specal effects (lots of gore WOOO!!! eek! eek! ) and the recording process, thanks.

chops
well a great begiiners camera is the nisis dv2 camera which is only $100 but it has no flash or special effects but its still good

Nancy_boy
we dont really need any specal effects on the camera other than zoom if it does that i'm happy

SlipknoT
I tried making a horror movie with my friends.. The New Jersey Machete Massacre. I was the killer named Hugo. All we got done was lighting toy cars on fire, and a few cheesy deaths.

TheFilmProphet
What state do you live in because I'm an amature scriptwriter who could possibly help out with the writing part.

SlipknoT
If you were talking to me I live in New Jersey

TheFilmProphet
I was talking to Nancy_Boy but his production is way too small so nevermind.

roundisfunny
Wow, this is bringing back some fond memories of childhood. When we got our first video camera in 1986, I must have made a dozen cheap but fun horror movies with it. Here's a rundown of a few (remember, I was just a kid at the time):

1) "My Bloody Birthday"-- Simon, a young man celebrating his birthday, is attacked with a butcher knife by his jealous twin brother ("Don't you want your present from ME, Simon? Yee hee hee!"wink. He shoots the brother, who dies horribly (i.e., he holds a tube of vampire blood by his stomach and squirts it out from a side angle--cheesy effect, but it worked!).

2) "Midnight Massacre"--I got my cousins to be actresses in this one. One of them played an old man, and I was playing cards with him. When he kept winning, I called him a "pain in the neck", and then got an axe stuck in my neck. It was cool because we had my other cousin holding the camera in one hand with the hatchet extended in front of it with the other. When she "plunged" it into my flesh, it cut away to an angle of me holding it there and falling over. We also used the "Psycho" shot of a butcher knife leaving the frame, presumably into my other cousins body, while she made gagging and dying gurgle noises.

3) "Bug Trouble"--My sister and brother-in-law helped me with this one. A giant, killer insect (which we never see) kills a man in his home (we just see him get "dragged" under the bed, which shakes while he screams horrifically), and his terrified wife calls the pest control guy (me). I show up and get my arm ripped off and thrown down the stairs. We used a CPR dummy's arm that my dad had brought from work (it was a real family effort). Then, of course, the camera zooms in on the wife as she screams and is done in by the creature.

The visuals for the giant bug were created by showing its POV during its scenes. This was accomplished by using two sticks as antenna (which were put at the bottom of the lens, facing out). The sound effect for the bug was the rapid back-and-forth movement of the zipper on the camera bag.

Um...sorry, you were asking about horror effects. Here are a few sites of interest:

1) Homemade Special Effects has sections on action, violence, and blood. They suggest (and I agree) that realistic-looking blood should be dark and gooey (I heard once that Hitchcock used chocolate syrup, but that, of course, was on black-and-white film!).

2) No Budget SFX (warning: popups) has a TON of information. Check it out!

3) I don't know how valuable this page is, but it does provide quite a few links about SFX in general, and might be informative.

Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun!

slayer
Interesting Websites............

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.