Lovecraft-themed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fever red
Please help me poison my mind...
I'd like to revisit two movies I saw long ago; they have lingered. I cannot recall names!
One I saw long ago, as a child. It featured a scientist who had created a machine to bring a paralell dimension into synch with ours. It made alien critters- horrific, lamprey-like floating things- visible to his senses. Unfortunately, it also made him visible to them! The machine was destroyed through the intervention of another charactor- a young assistant, perhaps? But the experience had caused physical changes in both men's brains. Their pituitary glands were stimulated and evolved into organs that brought them back into synch with the other dimension. They also developed a taste for human brains. They end up in an asylum, fighting one another, with the fate of the world in question. I don't even know, objectively, if the movie was good. It made a big impression on me, though!
The other I saw more recently. In it, a man- perhaps a writer or a film-maker?- returns to his childhood town after an incident of madness. But the town has changed- or is he still mad? He sees children chasing a dog, at first in innocent fun. But as the movie continues, the children change, the mood of the chase changes, and eventually he glimpses the dog running through the town missing a limb. No-one else seems to notice. Finally he confronts the children with the corpse of the dog. They turn, showing devolved faces. And they are not the only ones changing. Something is happening to him; some Lovecraftian heritage is claiming him.
I'd really like to take another look at these films.
So please- any info is appreciated.
ALSO- reccomend other movies with a Lovecraftian theme (yes, I'm familiar with Re-animator series).
THANKS ALL.

roundisfunny
Here is what should be a comprehensive list of movies and TV show episodes associated with works accredited to Lovecraft himself. Now, as to works inspired by Lovecraft, here is a site that delves into those films.

fever red
Wow, thank-you. How silly, I didn't even think to use a search engine. I guess I just figured I'd hit on a thousand bookstores and fan sites before I got the info I was looking for...

jenlaine
first movie- From Beyond( i think) second is From the Mouth of Madness.
both very lovecraftian bothe Great movies

jenlaine
movie "Dagon" (shortstory of the same name) from the book 'The Transition Of H.P. Lovecraft- The Road To Madness"

fever red
Yes, Dagon was deliciously Lovecraftian- and I think you have confirmed my tentative identifiation of the movies. Now, I'm off to Blockbuster ASAP. (which in my life is hardly timely)
Gosh, I really want to thank the people at this forum for being so helpful to some-one less knowledgeable. big BIG thanks!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.