The "Two" Towers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Discos
Ok just want to ask a question on the actual "two" towers.

Many people believe it to be Orthanc & Barad-dur due to the film version - The cover of the book version (A-format paperback) has Orthanc and the Tower of Gondor (I believe).

Also I believe there is 2 more towers which were introduced in a later thread ages ago.

Help...

Manôkhâu
Well, Tolkien himself never settled on two towers.
It COULD be:
Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith
Cirith Ungol and Orthanc
Barad-dur and Orthanc
Minas Morgul and Orthanc
etc.
etc.
I think he preferred the second.

Exabyte
He wrote that he wasn't happy with the title as it wasn't really clear what he meant

But he himself drew a cover for TT

Which clearly shows Minas Morgul and Orthanc as you said wink

edit
btw
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23688

Darth Sauron
Discos, we have a search function you know.
*points to the door*

Manôkhâu
It 'twas Orthanc/Isengard and Morgu, since he had a Moon underneath the Black Tower (representing Minas Ithil), and the Hand of Saruman under the White tower.

Discos
the cover is Minas Morgul - a half cresent moon?

I would of thought myself it was Orthanc & Cirith Ungol. Probably because of the first half of th ebook being about Orthanc and its over-taken on Rohan + the other half of the book being about Frodo in Cirith Ungol.

Cheers dudes,

Exabyte

Manôkhâu
Cheers,
Drinks on me! stick out tongue

Discos
yes I know there is a search function, I was going to use it until I realized no one reads bumped topics and when people say a brand new topic "by discos" they would go "ooohhh this must so totally hardcore stuff"

Agent Elrond
Here are all posiblities for the Two Towers

Orthanc/Barad-dur
Orthanc/Minas Morgal
Orthanc/Cirith Ungle
Orthanc/Minas Tirith

Barad-dur/Minas Morgal
Barad-dur/Cirith Ungle
Barad-dur/Minas Tirith

Cirith Ungle/Minas Morgal
Cirith Ungle/Minas Tirith

Minas Morgal/Minas Tirith

Just pick the one you like

Minas Tirith/Barad-dur sounds more like RotK
Cirith Ungle/Orthanc follows the book
Orthanc/Barad-dur shows the powers of evil

Darth Sauron
Then as usual they are let down.

Manôkhâu
Mean Sauron.

Smodden
Well..yeah I wasn't even gona bother with the thread...but when I saw who made it, I just HAD to go in! I mean IT'S DISCOS!

yeah def orthanc...as for the other one...minas morgul, or cirith ungol...

Agent Elrond
def Orthanc and it's either Barad-dur or the Tower of Cirith Ungle. Both work

Flying High
i thot it was orthanc n minas morgul.....cos of the hole saruman n sauron thing going on....no expression

Discos
^^ sauron wasnt really at Minas Morgul, he was at Barad-dur with his freaky eye.

I dont think we hear of Minas Morgul in the books do we?

Flying High
well i thot it was the tower his eye was on...wotever one that is....

Discos
yeah thats Barad-dur, Minas Morgul is where The withcking dwelt (the green lit up city - we seen it right next to the stairs towering up to shelb's lair in the movie ROTK).

Flying High
hmm...nah i think the eye barad-dur n orthanc....cos they were working together....

Discos
yeah in the films they were, the book version focused on Orthanc and Cirith Ungol (the book version has frodo there in the TTT and not ROTK).

Flying High
i havnt finished reading the books....infact i havnt read a bit of them in 3 months no expression
oops....

stupid magazines disracting me.....n mcfly comps lol...

Discos
Mclfy comps.......Boo!

I wouldnt mind it being Orthanc and Cirith Ungol since they didnt have much to do with each other to confuse people big grin

Exabyte

Discos
yeah the treason of isengard would resort to orthanc, we all know it is most definetly Orthanc as 1 tower.....but the other wouldnt be Barad-dur as in the films, it aint mentioned barely enough in the book.

MorgulLord

ladygrim
smile

big gay kirk
To quote the final passage in The Fellowship of the Ring
" The second part is called THE TWO TOWERS, since the events recounted in it are dominated by ORTHANC, the citadel of Saruman, and the fortress of MINAS MORGUL that guards the secret entrance into Mordor..." (emphasis theirs) therefore it is quite clear which two towers Tolkien had in mind...

ladygrim
indeed so

Mane
agreed.

Ushgarak
Nope, not at all.

The problem is, Tolkien made SEVERAL drawings, with different Towers in each. That section at the end of FOTR was added in later, I think, and not by Tolkien. Tolkien himself was never clear on the matter:

"The Two Towers gets as near as possible to finding a title to cover the widely divergent Books 3 & 4; and can be left ambiguous- it might refer to Isengard and Barad-dur, or to Minas Tirith and B; or Isengard and Cirith Ungol (1)."

and

"I am not at all happy about the title `the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading."

So he didn't know, so nor can we ever be clear. The original responses to this thread were right; the attempts to pin it down later have been misleading.

ladygrim
very understandable... no of us are tolkien so we cant prove each other wrong..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.