Best Spider-Man Artist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Vote for the best Spider-Man artist and discuss their work.

badsymbiote
I don't think it's fair to pick one. Besides these guys, there's also Mark Bagley and Skottie Young that I'm very fond of, too.

TheFilmProphet
Then just vote other instead.

Mane
my all time favorites are Todd McFarlane, Skottie Young, Mike Deodato Jr., Mark Bagley, Romita Jr.

TheFilmProphet
Mines is John Romita Jr. I actually got to meet him last week at Wizard World Chicago.

badsymbiote
Roger, Wilco. Over and out. <(Radio freq. static crackles)>

TheFilmProphet
I'm surprised nobody has voted for Steve Ditko yet.

Spiderman_RJ
How DARED U NOT MENTIONED MARK BAGLEY<<<<? I`M GONNA RIP UR LOWER INTESTINE AND :USE AS ROPE TO GO OUT WITH MY DOG.

Spiderman_RJ
i never liked steve dikto, the onyl good the done to spidey was to design the costume. u also let out the guy who has good trace like eric larsen, sadalthough all woman he did looke like whores) and some other guy miss simbiote posted , the one who made the fist scarlet spider and venom enconter i like his art and the second guy to do it.
also SAL buscema , i used to hate his art, but now i realise how his style was in fact impressionant by the fact he used nankin clean style much before other, then he updated his style and it turned into crap, that happpened in parke trial issue

TheFilmProphet
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/nono.gif
I'll let that one pass for now because your just a kid.

Spiderman_RJ
oh really im a naivy kid, DIE DIE

TheFilmProphet
What is that post suppose to mean?

Spiderman_RJ
dunno, i was trying to find the meaning of naivy by someone repleying to it.

badsymbiote
We can only vote once. sad

RJ--you mean naive? It means innocent, unsophisticated, or unworldly--not well-traveled.

TheFilmProphet
1. Yeah it was difficult for me not to choose Steve Ditko since he was the one who made Spider-Man who is visually.

2. Yeah he spelled it wrong thats why I was confused.

badsymbiote
Well, I can't be sure that that's what he meant, either, but we shall see.

TheFilmProphet
Here is a Steve Ditko sketch http://www.musial.org/comicart/faq/images/asm8.gif

TheFilmProphet
And here is a Todd Mcfarlene cover http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManM/Large/AmazSpid311.JPG

Spiderman_RJ
thanks bad simbiote thats what i meant. i have all spiderman old comics till number 60 something, i just dont scan cos they are too old, and would fragmentate

TheFilmProphet
Not if you scan it with the plastic still over it.

TheFilmProphet
Here is a John Romita Jr. cover http://www.spiderfan.org/cgi-bin/cover.pl?80123,spiderman_amazing,226.jpg

Mane
no! thats John Romita Sr.

this is a Romita Jr. cover

Spiderman_RJ
mane the one you posted is from mike deodato.http://www.spiderfan.org/cgi-bin/cover.pl?80123,spiderman,066.jpg
http://www.spiderfan.org/cgi-bin/cover.pl?80123,spiderman,067.jpg
http://www.spiderfan.org/cgi-bin/cover.pl?80123,spiderman,065_alt.jpg

you see romita jr is the more squared TOP ART from marvel.
like they say son of fish,little fish is

Mane
no thats not Deodato. i ahve the comic. its Amazing Spider-Man #491.

it says Romita Jr.

Spiderman_RJ
its john romita INSIDE the comics the cover not always is done by the same art.

TheFilmProphet
The Amazing Spider-Man # 226

* The Amazing Spider-Man
* Issue # 226
* Marvel Comics Group
* March 1982
* Featuring: Spider-Man.
* Written by Roger Stern.
* Penciler John Romita, Jr.
* Inker Jim Mooney.
* Artwork by John Romita, Jr.
* Cover Art: John Romita, Jr.
* Editor Tom DeFalco.
* Regular Series
* U.S.A.

badsymbiote
Two points each for FilmProphet and Mane.

TheFilmProphet
He tried to make me look like a fool but failed. wink He must think I do not research my covers.

TheFilmProphet
Another Todd Mcfarlane coverhttp://www.spyder-25.com/covers/ppsm/volume1/ppsm1_05.jpg

badsymbiote
Well, everyone's bound to make a mistake here or there--I've made a couple in the past few months myself--once I named the wrong series of #s for an Amazing Spidey arc (whoops!), and somebody pointed out that I may have gotten the # wrong--and of course, I apologized for sending someone to look for the wrong arc, and corrected the mistake, and last month, I did the same thing on the baseball thread with a minor-league call-up, whose minor-league stats I correctly cited, but neglected to mention the span of time that his home run record ran...I apologized for that, too. (With as many things as I'm interested in, it's pretty incredible that I can even remember my own name sometimes)

embarrasment

Here's one of Skottie Young's Spidey...

TheFilmProphet
Yeah but its even worse when somone tries to correct someone else but they themselves are wrong.

TheFilmProphet
Mark Bagley http://www.comix-shop.co.uk/cx-marvel/marvel-comics/Marvel-pix3/ultsm-34.jpg

Mane
well, either you made a typo, they made a typo, or you just spittin shit...

first off, you probly didnt write that from memory, you probably copied and pasted it from a website--therefore proving your ignorance.
second, with every statement you make, you slowly prove it yourself...

and i can guarantee you 100 percent that im a bigger Spider-Man fan that you and that that is Romita Sr.

Mane
Romita Jr.

Mane
Romita Sr.

hmm, i wonder which one looks most like your "its Romita Jr." cover??? gee, i dont know.

TheFilmProphet
Mane take it easy throwing a hissy fit will not prove I'm wrong or that you are right. wink Just admit you were wrong that once and we can all move on.

Mane
once? when? i was never wrong, you just believe everything you see. idiot.

TheFilmProphet
Hehe kids these days so cute when they are mad smile Not everything Romita Jr. has done is from 1999 and up he started Amazing Spider-Man in the 80's.

Mane
and honestly, what do you know about Spider-Man?? ah, yes, i forgot--nothing...

Mane
and you know this because you've collected Spider-Man comics from 1980 on?? ah, yes, i also forgot its because you read it...

TheFilmProphet
Mane I'm so glad your not making ignorant assumptions. big grin

Spiderman_RJ
u two are wrong ! are u ignoring me, mane is right the first u poste d is john romita SR, the ones i posted are john romita JR, and the one mane posted are in fact MIKE DEODATO COVERS
MANE SOME TIMES THE COVER IS NOT MADE BY THE ARTIST WHO ILUSTRATE THE COMICS ITSELF AND THEY GENERALLY SIGN THEIR NAMES SOMEWHERE U CAN SEE

Spiderman_RJ
mane look at the hot dog, thing the name of the cover artist is there, is like cobald , something. u see that not john romita jr,
dont -********** ignore me just cos my english is not that good, cos im right 100 and u are 50 and 20 only.
and filme profet is right at the beggining john romita jr used to draw like his father,but late in the 90s he changed his art concept to the square one we have today and i posted in the links

Mane
riiiight roll eyes (sarcastic)

Spiderman_RJ
and dont make fun of me, u should check ur covers for the name of the artists who ilustrate them, ,you will see they are not alway the one who make the comics, one guy who was hard to find his signature is the awesome, marvelous amazing mark bagley, cos he always camouflaged it in the scenario,not screwing the art.

badsymbiote
Goody. Does this mean you guys are done, then? I hope so.
I think it's great that you are both so passionate, and honestly, I wouldn't even venture a guess between the works of the two...so that officially makes you both smarter than me.
big grin
If we could please dispense with the "pleasantries", I would appreciate it--there's plenty of rudeness going on in the other threads..and I'm ashamed to say that I am also part of the problem, having had confrontations in the past day with a jackass or two who I shall not name out of decency. I respect you both, but hostility doesn't look good on either one of you. I think we are all on the same team here.

This is supposed to be a refuge for me... confused

Mane
i know! i didnt say anything. the covers i posted were done by Campbell

Spiderman_RJ
oh yah, some rudness going on, im wondering to who and why she posted that, is so hard to guess
and yes u said it was john romita jr, u even posted a zoom showing it, dont go back your words cos they are save for ever ,while this server lasts

Mane
okie dokie

Spiderman_RJ
ERASED FROM MY MIND

TheFilmProphet
Another Romita Jr. cover ignore the Coming Home.http://www.hillcity-comics.com/graphic_novels/new_graphic_novel693.jpg

Mane
did yout not just read anything that RJ said? 80% of the time the pencilers dont to the covers.

TheFilmProphet
?? What is your point?

I already know who did the cover.

Mane
who? Romita Jr.? mmm, no. try Campbell.

tip: learn something about comics before you post in a comic book forum

TheFilmProphet
Yes I am well aware Townsend Campbell. wink Although not seen in the picture of the cover posted his signature is in the left side of the comic book

Mane
well dont you feel so special! What the f**k?

TheFilmProphet
Yes I'm sure you feel even more special because you think you told me something I didn't know.

Mane
yes, i do.

TheFilmProphet
eek! Congratulations!! Does Paulie want a cracker?

Mane
no, but be sure and tell your mom i left my wallet on her nightstand, ok?

TheFilmProphet
Haha I could easily destroy you this instant but I am not going to stoop down to your level.

Mane
yeah, you dont want to look all "immature" right? wink

TheFilmProphet
Whatever you say.

badsymbiote
Oh, God, no RJ, it wasn't you.

What in the Hell is going on here? Lord, didn't I get through to you guys? I didn't know whose work was on the last cover, so I still learned something, yet, I really could do without the squabbling.

Stop. Please?!? sad

Mane
i wish this thread would be closed.

badsymbiote
That won't help anything. Just try to behave, ok, darlin'? That crack about Prophet's mama was over-the-top. The arguements can all go bye-bye if we just heed to that little built-in copy editor that exists within our minds...by next month, only the 3 of us (and probably RJ) will even remember this. Really.
Goodness, who would have thought that the appreciation of Spidey artists and their work would create such a fuss?

Mane
i know. i shouldnt have said that. i dont like mama jokes. its probably even harder when you are a mom....forgive me.

Now to get back on topic, i still like McFarlane's gritty style the most...

Spiderman_RJ
mac farlene was the best in spiderman cos , he was the one who changed the old 70 persona and CB style, to the high level detailed and more stylizes muscles and body shape we have today, but my favorite will always be mark bagley i learned drawing with him, instead of just making heroes drawing i allways looked to draw his scenarios.
mane u have two great spiderman artists on ur current signature. MB and the other guy i cant remember

Spiderman_RJ
i think hes something scott redley. i cant belive u guys never noticed that the artist in the cover is not always the one inside, cant u see the difference in their style?the only one dificult to guess are luke roos and humberto something , too brasilian who passed on spiderman before getting on avenger and have almost the same drawing look.
the reason for different art cover, most u of know, or should know an artist has one month to make a comics, u may think that too much ,but if u take the time, to imagine the scene after reading the script, pencil that idea, diagramizate the story,fit that diagram to the limit of 22 or 23 pages, left space for the dialogue so those ballons dont get on the main idea of the drawing, and add full details, who readers are now avid for that,thats almost a impossible mission, that why happesn some delays, cos the art finalist has to put all that into nakin , an ink,so the computer can scan it, they a team of painters do the colours. and they have less time than them.
so after being tired the guy cant think into a comig cover image, and another guy is "invited" to make it. or just to please the fans . or even to fool the fans like. wow make deodato is on the comics, then u buy and crap, its scott venom crappy cartoonish drawing maker. roll eyes (sarcastic)
embarrasment big grin laughing

Mane
you dont like Skottie Young do you? i like him alot. i think hes great. but i would even take McFarlane over Bagley...

Spiderman_RJ
i like scott dont think bad*coffsimbiot*off me, i just dont like his cartoonish style, just to see jis sketch u can say by the firm trace hes ******** good, but they way he made spiderman make me sick

badsymbiote
Well, now, this is more like it. A nice urbane discussion.

RJ, I don't care if you're not a fan of Skottie's style--to each his own. I don't expect you to apologize or change your opinion on my account.

Mane, you don't like Bagley's spidey? What don't you like--just USM stuff, right? Surely you can appreciate his classic spidey look. I wasn't wild about his Ultimate Spidey at first, either, but I've learned to love it--and I absolutely LOVE his Ultimate Venom and Eddie Brock.

McFarlane's friggen awesome, too, though.

Spiderman_RJ
my only USM complaining about MB is the covers, they mostly suck like in 10 comics only 3 comics the cover is good, i mean the style is ugly don even look like bagley, and i hate bagley styling big hands and diarrea skeletic spiderman,and man he as strong as spideman, he should be a little more weaker in apearence

Mane
dont get me wrong i like Bagley's stuff, but i like McFarlane more. like RJ said he was the trend-setter that gave us all the amazgin spideys that we have today.

Mane
but i do really really like Mark Bagley's work in Lethal Protector, as well.

Mr Zero
The fact that this poll lists Todd but not Gill Kane just shows what a slim grasp you have of what constitutes a great Spidey artist.

Mane
well the poll is missing alot of people.

i.e. - Mark Bagley, Alex Ross (somewhat a Spidey artist), Mike Deodato, Gill Kane, etc. etc.

Mane
i like the darkness/hardcore-ness that McFarlane brought to Spidey

TheFilmProphet
It would take me forever to list every single great spidey artist. wink
If you have a problem with the poll just tell a mod to edit it and add more to it.

Paola
^ true!!

badsymbiote
Yup, Zero--I also threw in some names--but I was maybe a little more polite.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Darth Jello
i'd say it's a 3 way tie between todd mcfarlane, romita jr., and frank miller.

Mane
3-way tie between McFarlane, Deodato Jr., and Skottie Young

Mr Zero
I may have to change my avitar text to "part of the problem"

Mane
you just might have to do that glare

i take back waht ive said through this whole thread. McFarlane only draws a good Spider-Man, other than that he kinda sucks. but hes still one of my faves.

Spiderman_RJ
its a tie between, mc farlende, mark bagley,and john romita sr. also that guy who drawed the fantast four for ages and even the conan, he died recently, he is also on top of the list

TheFilmProphet
John Romita Jr. http://www.digitalmedusa.com/adresnick/gallery/romita2.jpg

badsymbiote
Sweet.
I've actually inspired more than a couple members' text, so if you do, I'll draw another line in my personal tally box. wink

"Part of the problem"--it IS pretty catchy...

In the end, Zero, I was advised by FilmProphet to just vote for "other", and that's just what I did.

Spiderman_RJ
do u guys have ,if exists, mark bagley official site? i searched on googles and altavista but i only found his inker not mark bagley stuff

Spiderman_RJ
also the site from jr romita poste by TFP has some artist artwork as well as some lame dude art with the signature of knonw artists.

Spiderman_RJ
http://www.digitalmedusa.com/adresnick/gallery/douggallery.htm

the site posted by TFP in full

Spiderman_RJ

badsymbiote
Good question, RJ--I'll try to see if I can find anything.

falling idol
hello i am new of course, a freind pointed this out to me, this website and this thread.

here is the story with pics .

Some dude did for me back in 2000 when i was a server at good ole bob evans. It on back of a placemat, has some tape around it where i hung it up, but just yesterday i bought a frame and need to cut the tape shiat around it off.

But anywho he was drawling it when i brought him and his family drinks out, and i was like hey nice work, next thing i know when he leaves he signes it and leave it for me! Nice guy!

Pics

ok i cant post links since im new .. but goto
mustangmods.com/data/787/spiderman.jpg
mustangmods.com/data/787/spiderman1.jpg
mustangmods.com/data/787/spiderman2.jpg

you will have to copy and paste and put a www. in

anybody know who it might be? I need again to clean the edges up with a razor ... since i had hung it up and stuff.

Thanks _matt

falling idol
does nobody knowi this or can you not see the pics?

Paola
we're lazy stick out tongue

pr1983
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/787/spiderman.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/787/spiderman1.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/787/spiderman2.jpg

like this?

Paola
wow! look at the reflection eek! so cool!

pr1983
i know yeah...

Lynard_Skynard
Holy Moly blink blink Really nice wink I like it , but still i have seen better things smile

doctorstrongbad
I like that pic a lot. Good job. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.