Passion of Christ, I know there was another thread about this, but...isn't that horri

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fiery Eyes
I know there was another thread about Passion of Christ, i wasn't here then and i seen it was like 60 pages long WOW, but anyways.....I know there's alot of diff opinions on rather or not it was true or not, if thats really How Jesus died...anyways my question and thought about all of this is this:
NO matter what people think rather they believe in Jesus or not, is it not HORRIBLE that anyone could die a death like that? That death to me was unbearable to even watch, the thought that people could actually do that to somene and still be able to wake up and live a normal life each day well...i just can't even imagine. What do you think?

Fire
the ethical situation in the days of the Roman Empire was a lot different from the Ethical situation now and so were the morals, if something isn't condemned as wrong I don't think ppl would feel that bad about it,

But as ppl know I believe that ppl are born with quite a few morals so they might not feel ok by it, I do think that they will not feel as bad by it as they would if their actions were condemned by society.

Fiery Eyes
Yeah but feeling bad and killing someone in such a manner as Jesus was killed in that movie, was wayyy unbearable for me to even watch. I can't even imagine being there back then. IT was horrible death for anyone to go thru, don't you thk?

Darth Revan
Indeed it would be horrible... But like Fire said, a lot of our thoughts on what is right and wrong come from what is acceptable in society at that point in time. You have to remember that these were the same people who watched slaves kill each other for fun erm

Fiery Eyes
I know it's sick though. My heart just sunk in as I watched that movie. I know things were diff back then, it's just so hard for me to comprehend how someone could be so cruel and hw all the by standers would ridicule and toss stuff at him, and make fun of him, everyone joined in on that. I don't know how anyone that watched the movie, couldn't be moved by it.

BackFire
This isn't about the movie, so therefore, moving to the OTF.

Tex
It's not that bad of a death.
People crucify themselves all time time in those crazy South American countries.

Only difference is they're only hanging on it for a couple of hours.

I can imagine that Jesus must've been loosing lots of blood, causing drowsiness, numbing sensations and fainting spells.

Sure it was a bad way to go, but there are worse.

Jesus is lucky he wan't tortured during the Spanish Inquisition. yes

Spitback
I think this topic is kinda stupid.

dave123
I'm not old enough to see it and cant be bothered to download it stick out tongue

§pearhead
Right, I'd hate being killed any number of ways during the Inquisition more than crucifixion messed crazy church

Fiery Eyes
well.. rather there is worse deaths or not, it's still horrible!!! he wasn't just crucified, he was beaten and beaten and beatn.

manchichirtchit
for a religion preaching salvation and forgiveness, those christians (catholics) sure know how to f*ck people up, don't they...

Clavis
ow jesus christ get freakin life people roll eyes (sarcastic)

manchichirtchit
i hate it when people say that.

Tela
Well, As brutal a death it was, the movie got no where near what it is said to be. There was no pulling of the beard. no spitting on Jesus, and it still did not gross me out nor did I cry. confused Don't ask me why embarrasment

Spitback
ThaT feckin movie had a bad image of jews

Lydia
I really wanna see it but i can't! sad

Darth Revan
Well, here's something to think about. If that had been Charles Manson, would it have seemed so horrible to you? I think that perhaps you're making it seem worse than it is, seeing as your religion is based upon the teachings of this guy. There are things in the world today going on that are just as nasty, horrible, and cruel as the crucifixion in that movie.

PrefectRonnykin
Schindlers list had a bad image of germans nobody is complaining

its part of life prepare to be insulted nomatter what you believe in or who you are the world doesnt revolve around you

Darth Revan
Indeed, PRK

PrefectRonnykin
yay for me happy

Darth Revan
Hooray for PRK and those who paint themselves blue happy

PrefectRonnykin
you paint yourself blue? blink

laughing out loud

Darth Revan
No. Maynard does. cool

PrefectRonnykin
with red dots i see

Tela
Warning:Ugh, okay, anyone not religious, ignore this post.

Spitback, if you're trying defend jews and said the movie made them look bad, then you are trule don't know religious things, (don't kill me, not trying to be mean), The jews may have helped, but Jesus chose to die. He could have called down angels to slaughter the jews, or help him down, he could have avoided it all, but he didn't. he knew he had too, K?

Footnote: Oh god I'm gonna get bashed now. Please don't bash me. I'm just saying that because ya sounded religous.

PrefectRonnykin
jesus was a jew happy

i myself am....... nothing blink

Darth Revan
ehh I think that's just the lighting from the stage erm

PrefectRonnykin
oh wacko

ive never seen them in concert i just remeber Maynard with long black hair erm i think its all gone now

Tela
Don't say that. You're cool big grin cool

PrefectRonnykin
i mean religion wise i dont really belive in stuff untill i see it big grin sad

thank you big grin

Darth Revan
*hasn't seen movie and decides not to comment*

Tela
oh, you're welcome.

PrefectRonnykin
i havnt seen it either embarrasment

Darth Revan
Nah he only has long hair in APC yes

When he's playing with Tool he has either short hair or none at all

Tela
*Pouts at DR* You were gonna argue with me. *sniffles*

PrefectRonnykin
yeah i hadnt really seen pictures since A perfect circle

i need to get out more

Tela
It's okar PRK. Before The passion i saw a beautiful mind stick out tongue that was a huge time lapse.

Darth Revan
Maynard in a Tool performance:

http://home.gwi.net/~ral/mfactor/tool/images/gallery/maynard4.jpg

With A Perfect Circle: (far left)
http://bestmusicpoll.com/bmp2k1/images/circle.gif

And wearing plaid pajammas with Tool no expression
http://www.nyrock.com/img/2002/tool2.jpg

Tela> I wouldn't argue with you no happy

Tela
Oh, i think I have a pair of those somewhere embarrasment stick out tongue

Darth Revan
You should go off and find some guys who are a foot taller than you and start a band no expression

Tela
Nah, that wouldn't be challenging. Finding ones that are smaller. Yeah that wouuld be hard.

PrefectRonnykin
damn laughing

the pajamas make up for his hight

Darth Revan
I laughed out loud when I first saw that picture... He has such a huge voice, you'd never think listening to Tool's music that he's such a little dude...

Darth Revan
holy crap PRK that's your fourth sig today shock

PrefectRonnykin
yeah laughing

its kinda like that one guy from american idol clay anikan or sumit he sounds wierdo big but hes like a skinny litte elf

Darth Revan
yes

only Keenan is infinitely better than anybody on that show happy

PrefectRonnykin
yep yep

Darth Revan
Why? How tall are you?

RaventheOnly
not to demean Jesus's death in anyway but Crucifiction during his time was standard execution erm thousands upon thousands suffered his fate.... and in ealry Roman days Cristians were normally fed to animals as an opening act in the coliseum messed but isn't it ironic how the same empire was responsible for the flowering of Christianity in the end laughing out loud

Darth Revan
Not really ironic... The emperor Constantine CHOSE to make Christianity Rome's official religion, so it's not like the gov't thought it was a bad thing that they were the ones who made Christianity what it is today.

RaventheOnly
Before that. and the fevror that the romans put into it caused it to blossom. Roman citizens could easily told the emperor to piss off but they didn't mind you thier empire was built around the worship of the Gods... wealth and war was the life bloods of thier empire... thats why there were gladiatorial games... it would be like telling a alchoholic to stop drinking and smoking in a day.

Darth Revan
But at the same time... The kind of Christianity that existed before Constantine was very different from what people believe in today.

RaventheOnly
Actually... i'm not too sure about that. A church had been established by the apostles and the bible was written and in circulation... you mean the church that Constantine established know as the Papacy. The Papacy set the guidlines of the church and composed somewhat of a revision of the bible. They were far more fervorous before Constantine, in which state funded churches were built and open condemnation of Christians ceased.

Darth Revan
No, it was very different. Views on Christ were much more varying back then. More people saw him as merely a wise philosopher than the "messiah". There were something like 80 different apostles, very few of which offered coinciding views of the religion. The Dead Sea Scrolls, for example, contradict the Bible in so many ways as to suggest one or both of them is entirely wrong.

RaventheOnly
Peter established the church in italy of the first 12. The rest were sent to the four corners of the world... something like 8 of them were killed practicing in unwelcome lands and the rest established coinciding wings of the church. Those who were christians saw him as a messiah... those who saw him as a philosohper rather were Jews in essance stil.

Dead sea scrolls is the oldest form of the bible found yet and was with exception of a few books identical in translation from hebrew to English.

Darth Revan
Um... riiiiiiight... And I suppose the bit about Jesus being in love with Mary Magdalene can be found in the modern bible? roll eyes (sarcastic)

RaventheOnly
i said a few books big grin ever hear of Peters Apocolypse or Jesuses childhood? whistle

Fiery Eyes
I agree I thk it was alot worse, but to me...it was bad enough. I cried, I was in shock over the brutal murder. sad

Fiery Eyes
I knew someone would say that. smile I did thk of that tho, and even tho Manson was a sickooo & evil, I don't thk I could have sat there watching someone do that to him. It is harder thinking it was JESUS. that HE went thru all of that for us, thats what got to me more than anything. Here i say, I couldn't sit there and watch that, but yet every day someone still does that to him. They nail him right back up there on the cross thru sinning. I just think its a horrible death & i for one NEVER pictured it like that. sad

Fiery Eyes
sad I don't thk it gave a bad image to the Jews. That is what really happened, there's tons of movies about other events in life, good or bad, if they happened they happened, hun. Nothing you can do about it. smile

ninjaturtle
I actually couldnt bring myself to see it... not to mention that at the time it came out i wasnt old enough to get into the cinema. My friend saw it, though, and she said it was really hard to deal with. She was crying so hard throughout it, and she said it was really confronting. i'd like to see it, but I'm kinda scared about what it will be like

Fiery Eyes
It is an EYE opener. It really changed my life, more so than what it is. It was horrible, there was some peeps that walked out of there, they couldn't watch it, there's parts you have to turn your head in. I never ever imagined it to be that bloody and tht brutal.

Fiery Eyes
It was a horrible death no matter if thats the way the did things back then or not.

tlindell
As I am well versed in the story and the surrounding themes, I thought all was well done.

However, not enough background was provided to the non-pre-informed to make any connection to it.

Though I've heard people cried during the crucifiction scene (which I didn't), I had to grimace during the torture scenes. That had to huuuurt!

I'm glad nothing was watered down, if Jews claim the movie makes Jews look bad, they would have to say the same about the Bible, yet that was written 75% by Jews at the time!

For those without the backstory, think of this: according to the gospel, each of us deserves the same torture and death that Christ bore in this film, and worse. The Son of God (Christ) paid for what each of us deserves with a brutal death, betrayed by even his closest friends, so that we, as wrongdo'ers won't (if you've never f* up, don't worry).

Didn't mean to preach, it was a well done movie, but missed the point for most of us.

el-pirate
yeah, i din't quite get that point from the movie (just saw it a few days ago and i really didn't like it) but the torture things are also almost impossible. you can't live a whole day after that, because you would bleed to death! and if you crusify someone, with the nails trough his hands, that doens't hold, it'll just rip your hand in two.
(sorry for the spelling)

JediHDM
I saw the movie on TV yesterday (or college cable network is awesome, we get all the new releases the day they are released) and i have to admit, i was crying like i haven't cried since my grandfather died for the last hour. And i am well versed in the life and death of Jesus, and have experienced the imagery of his death before. But to see it thus protrayed, stirred me in a way i have not experienced in a long, long time.

and el-pirate is correct. the nails were actually placed in the wrist, between the two bones in the forearm, because the hand is made of a whole bunch of little bones, which, if a body is suspended by just the muscles and flesh on the hand, would rip and drop the person. As for the immense loss of blood, i think that that was a little excessive, however, if you are flailed in such a way, you would certainly lose a lot of blood. Also, remember, this is a movie, and thus is certainly subject to artistic representation, even if it very closely based on Scripture.

el-pirate
( oh, and btw, i don't think the movie gave a bad immage of the jews, just of people, not thinking for themselves, when they are part of a group.

BackFire
You know what, just for the sake of being an ******* and sounding blastphemous - He had it coming.

darkcrown
no expression

el-pirate
erm, in my opinion, no one has that comming! (so why?)

darkcrown
How can anyone have that coming to them? sad

BackFire
He shoulda just said that he wasn't the son of God. Bam, problem solved.

el-pirate
and that's why he had it comming...... huh

darkcrown
That's denying god, he'd go to hell

Tex
There is no hell, or heaven.

Earth is all we got people.
We need to stop wasting our time praying! Lets get up off our asses and fix our own problems! yes

silver_tears
People have different beliefs Tex stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.