Who do you think was the best Bat?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Dark Lady
Lady & her brother...

In light of the new Batman movie coming out starring Christian Bale as the Bat, one might ask this: Who was the best Bat EVER to play the Bat?

rock rock devil geek pirate

Punkyhermy
Even though I voted for Keaton, It would be right if you added Kevin Conroy!!I mean, how can you forget about him???!!!!!

KEVIN CONROY IS THE BATMAN! stick out tongue

TheFilmProphet
There is also Clark Bartram who played Batman in Batmanbig grinead End and World's Finest.

Punkyhermy
I HATE the guy!Idiot! He thinks he'll be batman by wearing an identical costume!

TheFilmProphet
My post actually made it look like I loved him as Batman but thats just because I accidentally added a smiley face to it. Michael Keaton is the best Batman.

kanis
alien I like Val kilmer as batman he brought a sense of humor to it and was quite good as Bruce wayne he was better than George Clooney was with the robin aspect. But Micheal Keaton was the best Batman of the lot, but we stiil have to see how Christen Bale does as Batman and bruce wayne first.

TheFilmProphet
I think it will be between Christian Bale and Michael Keaton for best Batman in the near future.

Mr Parker
Hey Punky,I thought you agreed with me that Keaton sucked as batman because of how physically wrong he was for the role and that Kilmer was the best Batman? sad

Joker1237
Kilmer was not the best Batman, KEaton takes it by a land slide, He fitted the role so great I wish I could vote for him 2 or 3 times because one vote is not plenty for what he did in the movies.

ssj4goku
i voted for keaton all the way to me he was the superior actor in the batman movies. He knew his role well and it suited him. Val well he completely sucked but because i was a batman fan i saw it any way. and wel clooney he whas alright but like i said i prefered keaton. As for Mr. West he was a good actor for the telvision series so you really cant compare Keaton and West. Because they were two very different bats. so they were both the best bat but since i had to choose i went with the one that made the bat seem more real

Paola
Keaton was the best, but IMO that's just because of the director (who was he? embarrasment *throws tomatoes at herself*)

TheFilmProphet
You seriously don't know? If you serious are then its Tim Burton.

ssj4goku
who asked who was the director to the first batman

TheFilmProphet
Paola

Mr Parker
He fitted the role so great? surely you are trying to be funny? laughing Keaton was the worst casting choice in comicbook history-although Halle Berry rivals that as catwoman -man she is ugly looking. Up till Berry though,Keaton was the worst casting choice in comicbook history.I mean pudgy gut,receding hairline,half bald,short runt michael keaton for tall,muscular,handsome,full set of hair bruce wayne? what a total joke and an insult to batman fans.he was laughable as batman because he was so physically wrong for the role.Val Kilmer all the way!!! no contest even though the polls wil be mostly for Keaton.People just dont realise how horrible a choice he really was for the role.

TheFilmProphet
Mr Parker Halle Berry might not be the best actress. But ugly? I beg to differ and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Spiderman_RJ
i second that

Joker1237
I 3rd that Halle Berry is one of the most prettys women I seen, TV or real life. She is great. Dont ask her to be Catwoman though.

And Keaton did fit the role, sure he may not have the build, BUT he did have the act to pull off a great Batman/Bruce Wayne.

I mean Cooney could be Wayne, but when he put on that bat suit he was Wayne in a Batsuit. His Batman was Bruce Wayne.

Kilmer, He had a great Wayne, But his Batman had nipples. I cant get over that, and the Butt shot, unforgiving. I think I almost went blind.(Cooney and Robin(Who was he??) double Butt shots, they took out a wyw at a time)

But KEaton, He look bad in that Batsuit, When he said "I am Batman" I belive him. I truly though he was Batman, He knew his role in both movies. He was great.

I made you but you made me first.

He stole my balloons, He stole my balloons, Why didnt any one tell me he had one of thsos things lol.

Great movie, Great shots of the Joker taking over the air ways, to show his smilex. great scrip. And a great Batman.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah those lines were classic. cool

You forgot to say great director Tim Burton.

Also who in their right mind decided to vote George Clooney as the best Batman? I hope that was a joke.

Punkyhermy
Clooney definately LOOKED the part, and he pulled off Wayne nicely when in public and the shots of him at home sucking bad was none's but the writers fault. Bruce DOES not go all smiley and mushy with Alfred!And he DOES NOT pay heed to Robin's ranting!!!Come to think of it,Robin would never wine and complain like that!!!
With the suit on, I liked the cowl.Shiny yes but at least it fit his head properly.When it comes to the body...let's NOT go there!

Keaton was a terrible Bruce AND Batman.I stand by what I've said earlier.Keaton was so tiny that he got LOST in the batsuit!His head couldn't fill out the cowl just as his body struggled to be recognised as one THE BATMAN might have. I feel terrible for saying this, but when it comes to Batman looks count. Both as Bruce Wayne and Batman. He was far from being labeled a heartthrob as Bruce and too tiny and fragile in appearance to be considered menacing as Batman.
Now, people say at least he acted the part.Well, I'll have to oppose that notion too. His voice was barely ever audible!!!!Batman does not indulge in whispering to scare his nemesis!!!Then comes Bruce Wayne.Walking along with that 'I wanna jump off a cliff' look, you'd think by now every would have figured out that it's him behind that cowl!!

The only thing Keaton did right, and I suppose even that bit left quite an impact upon fans was the intensity he projected.Sure it was awesome.He definately seemed like a deranged dude who climb buildings in tights.But intensity is ONE element of the character.I say it is not right to have a man be called 'the Best ' Batman when all he did project about the Dark Night was intensity.

Keaton was NOT better than the rest, what made him shine is that the rest were even WORSE than him.It's just how you look at it.

TheFilmProphet
I don't care what anyone says but Clooney makes me laugh laughing and enraged mad as Batman and Bruce Wayne. I'm still trying to forget he ever did a Batman film at tall sad

Keaton was great. big grin Maybe he did not have the body but he had everything else you need to be Batman or Bruce Wayne.

Mr Parker
Clooney makes me laugh as well.The guy looks like Eddie Munster for crying out loud. big grin and this is the guy who was cast to play handsome,debonier Bruce wayne? laughing I still maintain that Val Kilmer is the best Batman to have played the role to date.That will change however when we see Bale on the screen.

TheFilmProphet
I guess we will have to see if Christina Bale will be the best Batman on June 17, 2005. At least we know he will be better than Clooney laughing out loud

The Dark Lady
Keaton was the best Bat. He alway's has been & he alway's will be, not George clooney or Val Kilmer. Yeah, I like Val, But Keaton was still better. You can say all you want about his build, but as Joker1237 said "He had the acting skills to pull it off." I mean who can ever forget the scene in Vicky Vale apartment when Bruce said to the Joker " You wanna get nuts lets get nuts." That line was truly a classic. laughing

- The Lady's little brother. The Dark Kid.
rock rock Happy Dance devil geek pirate ninja zorro

Darth Jello
Kevin Conroy

Punkyhermy
Duh!Of course it is kevin Conroy!

Mr Parker
yep. smile

§nakehead
val kilmer

Mr Zero
Well the poll is bogus and biased so i shant be voting - but DITTO on what punkybrewster said. Anyone who thinks Keaton is definitive bat material simply has no frickin idea Who Batman is - mostly you hear KEATON IS GOD!! from people who became batfans after seeing that movie.

I've said it before and will say it again - keaton is a stunted balding whiny idiot as Bruce, and a coward with a bucket on his head as the bat.

Mr Parker
Well said Mr Zero.Glad to see someone else agrees with me that Keaton was a horrible choice for that role. smile thumb up

Punkyhermy
Well said. smile

bakerboy
I didnt like any of the actors who were batman in the movies. I hated all of them. The only thing that i can say is that West and Kilmer looked more as bruce wayne as the others. But the worst casting choice is by far michael keaton. They guy didnt looked anything as batman or bruce wayne, and he was a terrible fighter and strangely, his bruce wayne was a goofy idiot who couldnt remember the places in his own houses, what a stupid. For not talking about a short and almost bald middle aged guy getting all the woman and playing the perfect play boy. The movie looked more a parody in the airplane style that a serious batman movie. All the actors sucked, but keaton was the most ridiculous casting choice that i have never heard.

Punkyhermy
Yeah.Totally agree.I made similar comments in my post on page 1. smile

angelsflame265
Clooney might had been a better batman if the script was better. . .

Punkyhermy
maybe...at least he looked somehwhat like Bats...okay even lesser than that.

The Dark Lady
I'm sorry that you guy's feel that way about Michael Keaton. I guess it is safe to say that you don't know anything about Batman. I liked Kilmer as the Bat, but Keaton was way better, & I saw the one with Adam west first, & why should any of us Keaton fans listen to mr.parker. After all he did say Halle Berry was ugly, and we all know that's just not true at all! I'm sorry, I said it before & I'll say it again. KEATON IS THE BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- The Dark Kid

Punkyhermy
I'm sorry but I just can't accept an ugly, balding guy claiming to be Batman.

TheFilmProphet
Well said!! cool

The Dark Lady
Thanx for backing me up Filmprophet & for backing up keaton as I did. At least someone has good taste. I'm sorry punkhermy but Keaton is still better than any bat you can come up with. I mean who can ever forget the classic line said by Bruce (keaton) in Vikki Vale's apartment when the Joker busted in "Hey, you wanna get nuts lets get nuts." And in my opinion anybody who thinks keaton is horrible is nuts.

" Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" - The Joker!

- The Dark Kid.

TheFilmProphet
Your welcome The Dark Lady smile I know how it feels when you are trying to explain common sense to someone by yourself. Believe me it has happend to me alot more than once in these forums.

The Dark Lady
I'd like to see one person mention a better Bat than Keaton. Nobody has though because there is no better Bat. Michael Keaton Rocks!!!!!!!

"Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" -The Joker

-The Dark Kid.

Paola
remember everyone has their own opinions.
they won't change just because you think they should.

The Dark Lady
Yeah, youre right every one is intitled to there own opinion. I never said anyone should change.I meant in my opinion.too.

"Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" - The Joker.

- The Dark Kid.

The Dark Lady
I think everyone should stop taking this so seriously!!!C'mon it's about a comic book!!!!!! (by the way Keaton still ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

" Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" -The Joker

_ The Dark Kid.

TheFilmProphet
http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/replacements/batmans.jpg
The Batman series has survived three superhero switcheroos - Michael Keaton, left, Val Kilmer, top right, and George Clooney, bottom right - over four movies.

Punkyhermy
Kevin Conroy is the best Batman.Period.

Shadow_King
well i grew up watching batman so mikey keaton.

Joker1237
Right this is why Keaton is the best here looks cool in this pics

Joker1237
other

Punkyhermy
Notice how he get's lost in the suit. laughing out loud

Joker1237
Joker Vs Batman great shot

Joker1237
As for the bald Wayne??? IT looks like he has plenty of hair, Rember he was preety young when he was Batman

Joker1237
He was not lost in the suit, He still looks cool

TheFilmProphet
Nice pics Joker! cool

bakerboy
Hahahahah. What a joke. Keaton in a bat suit is the most ridiculous thing that i have seen since John Wayne playing Gengis Kahnn. Seriously, how on hell people could being talk about michael keaton being a great batman? And his head full of hair?, hahahaha, what a joke. He was wearing a wig in the first two movies. And keaton being young when he was doing the movies? Come on, the guy was so young that he was in his first 40s in the batman movies. Seriously, the people who has said the keaton was the best and only batman, must be drunk, joking or they dont know anything about the batman character. Keaton as batman sucked all the way.

Mr Zero
I'll tell you what i know about Batman.

I know he's not 5 feet high.
I know he's not bald.
I know that the Joker didn't kill his parents.
I know he doesn't wear bulletproof rubber.
I know he doesn't wear black eye makeup.

Most importantly I know that the Batman will do ANYTHING to avoid taking a life: It's the one overriding absolute defining thing about the Bat - he wont kill, not even in the end - (as much as he may want to) the joker.

Keaton sending his car in under remote control with machine guns blazing to blow up a factory full of henchmen in cold blood is criminal cowardice and not, repeat NOT, the Bat.

I think it's safe to say that if you are happy to overlook that - you don't understand anything about Batman.

bakerboy
Yeah, well said, mr zero. For not mention that we know that Bruce Wayne wasnt a goofy dumbass forgetting the places in his own house and we know that batman was a great fighter expert in all fighting styles, well, we all know it except Keaton, Burton and the keaton and Burton fans.

Punkyhermy
AHA!EXACTLY!
Keaton always struggled to lift anyone off their feet in the movie!Making Batman look bad! mad

And since when is the handsome, charming Bruce Wayne, ugly and far from classy?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
Only a couple things I need to correct you on here Mr Zero."I" know that you are exagerrating about keaton being 5 foot tall but the Keaton and burton loves dont so I should point out that Keaton is actually 5'8" tall which is wayyyyy too short for Bruce wayne who is 6 foot two

and he's not completely bald,he's just half bald,I always make that perfectly clear in my posts when criticising him for the part because completely bald is Jack Nicholson which is why I liked Romero better because he physically fit the part of the joker a lot better.But Keaton is half bald because he had a receding hairline in the front,thats obvious.
Everything else you said was right on the money as to WHY keaton was a horrible choice for the role and why Burtons Batman movies totally betrayed the comicbook.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by The Dark Lady
I'm sorry that you guy's feel that way about Michael Keaton. I guess it is safe to say that you don't know anything about Batman. I liked Kilmer as the Bat, but Keaton was way better, & I saw the one with Adam west first, & why should any of us Keaton fans listen to mr.parker. After all he did say Halle Berry was ugly, and we all know that's just not true at all! I'm sorry, I said it before & I'll say it again. KEATON IS THE BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me,Bakerboy and Mr Zero have demonstrated we know PLENTY about Batman in our points on why this movie is so bad and nothing like the comicbooks,you have yet been able to counter those points so far so it looks like your the one people should not be listening to saying we dont know anything about Batman when we have clearly demonstrated we do.Kilmer was way better than Keaton.Im just thankful for Batman Begins because unlike Tim Burton,Nolan seems to care about the batman fans because he made a good casting choice in casting Bale for the role who is physically right for the part.Burton did not care about making a good casting choice or pissing off the batman fans,he only cast Keaton because he felt comfortable working with him and was friends with him.Thank god Tim Burton has nothing to do with this next batman movie.

The Dark Lady
Mr.Parker, I have said it before & I'll say it again stop taking every thing so seriously. As, for the fact that he gets lost in the suit, you can clearly see him. And, he didn't seem to have any trouble picking up the Joker in the pic that Joker1237 showed us didn't he. And how could he get lost in the suit. If they thought he was going to get lost in the they would have measured it. I know Tim Burton isn't that lax.

"Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" - The Joker

- The Dark Kid.

Mr Zero
I cant help but notice you ignore my Keaton/Killer/Coward post... too complicated for you or do you prefer to carry on ignoring it and pretending its not there in the movie?

The Dark Lady
Mr.Parker I think your avoiding what I said. I said we shouldn't listen to you because you called Hale Berry ugly & I know I have backup on that issue. You have proven that you know a hole lot about the Bat. So, let me continue since this is my own thread. Since, he is 5'8 they would have made sure that the suit would fit someone who is 5'8. Besides if he does get lost in the suit how come you can see his eye's in the eye holes? Or, How come the suit looks tight on him? Even when he is standing still? If, you still don't believe me then checkout the photo The Film Prophet so kindly provided us with.

"Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" - The Joker

- The Dark Kid.

Mr Zero
Still waiting... la la la... got all day..

The Dark Lady
They were trying to hurt the citizens of Gotham. He had to don it or they would have turned Gotha into one big Joker fest. To Batman citizens come fist. I hope this anwsers your question.

- The Dark Kid.

The Dark Lady
Film prophet where are you. Me & my sister can't fend off all these anti-Keatons for much longer. Help us!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- The Dark Kid.

Joker1237
Well I know Batman does not kill, But in the movies the Super hero always kill the Super Villians, But look, Superman killed in the 2nd movie, but no one gets on to him for that.

Batman killing got on to me, but even Spiderman 1 had its flaws compare to its comic counter parts, and Spiderman 2 had a bit more flaws than Spiderman one. I expect them to LIKE the comic, not 100 percent

I give it a 88 or Percent rate compare to comics, thats find with me. Spiderman gets a 90 percent.

Mr Parker
All you got to do to see that there are other people out there who agree with me is go to that thread in the general discussion section I just partipated in called who thinks this chick is hot? a poster named SLIPKNOT there said exactly what I feel which is BERRY is ugly looking.I know Bakerboy as well agrees with me,seems like there are others out there as well who are in total agreement with me on that. big grin and like punky hermy pointed out so well,Keaton struggled while trying to hole that guy up in the air.I dont see what that suit has anything to do with keatons height. also batman would NEVER take the chance of accidently hitting citizense while firing at the joker like he did.He would also not cowardly kill people like he did with the jokers goons either,especially when his life was never in danger.this movie totally betrayed the character of batman. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Dark Lady
Mr.parker if you would have read this thread closley you would have realized that punkhermy said Batman got lost in the suit. And I know I have back up too. Just ask the film prophet.

- The Dark Kid.

Drifter101
who voted for clooney

Lenord
Are you guys comparing the movies or the actors.... If you are comparing the actors then you can't complain about what the character does in the movie since that would have happened no matter who the actor was, so you can't blame them for that. You should be judging the actors on how well they potray the character on the screen with the material they are given.

For me Keaton was a more memorable Batman, just because he portrayed Batman as a moddy/menacing character. He made me belive he was Batman with his performace while the others weren't so convincing as Batman.

The Dark Lady
I agree with you Lenord!!!!!

- The Dark Kid.

Punkyhermy
Yes exactly!The Movie BUTCHERED batman.At leat Batman and Robin didn't try to be something it was not.BATMAN tried to be the ultimate batman film but failed.Misereably.

Lenord
Why do people always expect movies based on other materials to be exactly the same as thier source materials weather they are comics, books or real life. The word adaptation implies that they are going to be some deferences from the source material, it happens all the time. Take the Spiderman movies, there are lots of major differences between the comic and the movie (organic webs/Gwen). For all its differences the original Batman was a descent adaptation of the comic book, and is much better than any of its sequals. One thing I hated about the later Batman movies were the exagerated sequences. It might look good on comics and cartoons but when you put them on life action screen they look redicules.

Anyway that is my opinion.

Joker1237
BATMAN WAS THE ULTIMATE BATMAN FILM live action wise, Batman Forever no. Batman Robin, I still trying to get over it. BUT I dont think I ever will.

The Dark Lady
Batman & Robin was the worst Batman movie ever!!!!!! I think the script could have been better. Or the actor. I think Keaton could have pulled it off.

"Ever dance dance with the devil in the pale moonlight" - The Joker.

- The Dark Kid.

The Dark Lady
It seems every one is gone!

- The Dark Kid.

Punkyhermy
NO.
You see, they should do with the Batman movies what Bruce Timm did with the animated series.He took the source material and adapted it to the version of Batman he wanted to create.BTAS was a version of Batman and had it's own completely different continuity.Mr. Timm took the BASICS of BATMAN from the source material and then modified it.So much so that the series ended up being called the definitive Batman.
I'm not talking about the film being teh exact copy of the comics.The film should be an ADAPTATION OF BATMAN. bURTON BUTCHERED THE very basics, the core of batman.I cannot understand how that can be acceptable to any bat-fan.

Mr Parker
Punky Hermy put it so well that I dont have that much to add.Thats the first time I have heard someone say that about the first two Batman films when I have criticised it but since you brought up spiderman,I hear that everytime I criticise that film that I want everything to be exactly like the comics which could not be any further than the truth.Batmanlike the spiderman movie, is a horrible adaptation and the casting choices by Burton for Joker and Batman were a joke because they were not anywhere physically close to fitting the parts.Batman Forever is the best because it at least did not make Batman look like a wuss with poor fighting skills and I liked Kilmer way better than Keaton because not only is he everything that Bruce wayne is suppose to be physically,but his acting especially as Bruce wayne was impressive.He didnt act like a bumbling idiot who could not remember where things were either. as for spiderman,I did not think that movie could possibly be worse than Batman,but it was.you said it yourself no gwen stacy and organic webbing is the biggest sin in hollywood history. mad

The first two Batman movies were more like a james Bond flick than anything else.Call it something else if your not going to stay loyal to the source material.Dont call it Batman. mad

TheFilmProphet
You are so ridiculously wrong about Spider-Man thats its funny eek! laughing

Lenord
Look, the core of the story is true to the comic.... The only difference was that they made Joker the killer of his parents and Batman the one resposible for the creation of the Joker. They had to do something to show that the Joker was Batmans arch enemy. In the comics he killed RobbinII and paralized Batgirl. They couldn't do all that in one movie so they made it so that he killed his parents. It is not a perfect solution but if they did not do that then Joker would have been nothing more than just another nut guy to Batman, and the Joker is much more than that.

As for him killing the Joker, I don't remeber him setting out to kill him, he was just tring to prevent him from escaping and tied him to one of the Gargoil statues (which broke off, and eventually pulled him to his death).

As for the other changes they are minor and are no greater than what you get from other comic book adaptations. Remeber Superman (they killed off the Kents), Spiderman/Spawn/Blade/Daredevil/X-Men..... the list goes on...

All in all it was a descent movie...

Movies and series are two completely different things. In a movie you have only 1 and 1/2 hours to tell your story (not like now where films are over 2 hours long), while in a series you can take your time telling a story since you don't have to do it all at once and can spread it out. Besides when you are doing animation there are very few restraints to what you can do when compared to life action.

TheFilmProphet

Joker1237
Batman 1989 was more true to the comics than comic book movies as of late.

More true than Spiderman 1 and 2.

More to the comics than DareDevil.

And of couse more true than X Men 2(Even though X-Men 1 is about even with Batman 89 on true to the comics.) Batman is about 88 percent true to the comics.

Red Superfly
Actually, I'd consider Spider-Man to be possibly the most loyal comic movie.

I can forgo the organic webbing because the character and code of ethics he adopts remains the same. Spidey's essense in the movies is the same in the comics.

Batman however, kills people with bombs, and has machine guns of all things on his vehicles - something which strays completely from the character of Batman.

Spidey's character remains in its purest form in the movies wehn comparred to others.

But, getting back on topic - I'd still say Keaton's bat is the best. He looks the best in the suit. He doesn't much look like Bruce Wayne, but he looked the best in the suit. And he had that brooding, dark, gloomy side to him that Kilmer and Clooney could only dream of.

Punkyhermy
Okay fine than.Compare...Mask of the Phantasm with Batman.Again that animated movie outdid this version of Batman.And that was a short film, mind you.way shorter than this but after watching MOTP, you get a taste of what Batman truely is.It had Joker also perfectly weaved in the story!And the Joker was the best one I have ever seen till now.The scene in Arthur's office when a silhoutted Joker flashes across screen is FAR more chilling than a fat old guy having difficulty to laugh on screen.
The Batman love interest to blurs up the line between good and evil is far more interesting than a dumb, cowardly blond with no sense of make up whatso ever screaming of screen and supposedly is loved by THE Batman.
C'mon guys get real.

Mr Parker
actually Im right on target. stick out tongue By the way,I should point out that even Batmans creator Bob Kane said he thought Kilmer was the best Batman.

Lenord
Again you are missing the point.... true the title is a cartoon movie but it stands on the back of the serice that came before it. What this means is that altho this is a stand alone title a lot of the ground work was done in the serice so the creaters don't feel that they have to tie up every thing together. You have to remeber that when you make a life action movie based on a comic you can not assume that the people watching the movie have read the comics, so you have to tell a lot of story in a short time, however this cartoon movie came on the back of the success of the series so most people who watch it already know about Batman...

Also the creators of the cartoon movie had a lot of opportunities to learn from thier mistakes when they were creating the series, while the movie was a first outing for Tim Burten in the world of Batman... And this is not considering all the limitations of life action compared to cartoons.

Spiderman_RJ
myself on my 5th birthday counts?

TheFilmProphet
Don't think so wink

Punkyhermy
Okay, I still don't see your point. MOTP was based on the animated series, just as Batman was based on the comic book series.BOTH have been based on a series!
And like I said before, in the other thread, I hadn't seen a SINGLE BTAS episode, when I watched MOTP.My knowledge of Batman beforehand was merely rudimentary.That didn't hinder my enyoment during the film.

Lenord
I find it hard to belive that this was your introduction to Batman. Look the point I was tring to make is that when Batman came out it was a life action movie that was meant to appeale to a broad audience not just to Comic/Batman fans. For that reason they had to introduce Batman/Joker to people who might never have heard of them (remeber this was during a time when comic books weren't as mainstream as today, not to mention the fact that comic book movies were very rear). Now I don't care who you are, when you have to condence 10-20 years of Batman/Joker story into a one and a half hour movie you have to sacrifice a lot of things. Now the cartoon does not have to face these difficult because they have had a whole serise to tell all the stories it needs to tell and these movie is just another storie to add to the collection so they can afford to take the time and concentrate on the story.

Think of it these way, the movie was a one shot comic book where you try to tell the origin of Batman/Joker and tell thier story, while the cartoon is just another issue (maybe a double size) that adds to the story of a long running title.

Gregory
I'm don't think I buy this. If the movie is a one-shot comic as you describe it, then MotP was also a one-shot comic telling the origin of Batman/Phantasm (in fact, introducing the Phantasm). MotP introduced the hero (telling his origin story in full; whether they had to or not, they did), introduced a new villain, and made their relationship to each other very clear--all in a much shorter time than Burton had to work with.

Spiderman_RJ
WHO THE HELL VOTED GEORGE CLOONEY?
show up!
*loads the shotgun, and sharp the blade*

Spiderman_RJ
greg remember in motp they didnt tell the origin of the joker.........

Punkyhermy
But they did give out their own version of his life before he was the joker!

Kontraz
no... BATMAN was based on a series... MOTP was a CONTINUATION of a series.... BIG difference. MOTP is pretty much just a really cool episode of the series, but on steriods, whereas BATMAN was a recreation of the series as a whole.

Joker1237
But they keep a few things the same in the movies, of the making of the Joker, As he feel in to a vat to become the Joker.

And who knows the Joker is so nuts, not even he knows who he was before he took his swim.

Joker1237
It was a cool movie

Punkyhermy
No.although a topic of endless debate, MOTP was NOT in continuation with BTAS.It was more of a stand alone story...as the events of it were neve even mentioned in following episodes.Which is sad coz Andrea was a great character!They SHOULD have brought her into the show!

Joker1237
If that was so, Than how come in a later show, Artuer Reeves came back in a later show, scared up by the Joker's toxin?? Forgot which show it was.

Lenord
Look by the time they did the movie they had already established themselves in the whole Batman universe, while for Burton it was his first go, and he had to fit everything he wanted to say in that movie. The cartoon may not be a continuation of the serice but for the creators it might as well have been. You see they don't have to try and get everything they want done in that one movie, they have already had a chance to explore the characters of the comic in thier serice and so can relax and concentrate on the story they want to get accross. Burton did not have these apportunity, it was his first go and he had very little time in which to shape Batman into his vision of the character he wanted him to be.

If you want to compare the movie with the cartoon then it would be much more fairer to do so with the first two or three episodes of the cartoon (without thinking of the later episodes).

If by now you still don't get what I am tring to get accross then I give up sad

Punkyhermy
Still, the first few episodes, On Leather Wings, is the VERY first BTAS episode, surpasses anything Burton ever made for Batman.

U say he had to suddenly establish his vision of Batman? Well, that's his JOB! And he's supposed to be doing a good job of it.All director have that problem. Some come out of it un scarred.

If he wasn't able to fulfil his job then...well whwt can I say, he is a shitty director!

Joker1237
Batman 89 was better than On Lether Wings, I do not enjoy on Leather Wings as much as the 89 movie.

Like Bruce Timm said, They did not get the FEEL for the show until like half way in, IE TWOFACE, FEAT OF CLAY, FEAR OF VICTORYK, OR JOKER"S FAVOR.

Joker1237
OH yeah just so no one jumps me on ym new Sig,

I guess you have to be a boxing fan to understand this,

But Jack Johnson the First black Heavyweight champion. Fought Jim Jeffies in 1910 Reno for the heayweight title.

Jeffies was retire with a record of 18-0-2 draws. And he was a former Heavyweight Champ.(1899-1905)

But Johnson became the first Black Heavyweight champ in 1908, and thus White American look for a great white hope, and drag Jeffies out of retirement.

They fought July 4 1910, and though out the fight Johnson taught Jeffies. and one of the things Johnson said was

"Please stop loving on me this way Mr Jeffies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.