Anti-morality: replaces ethics with a science-based, epistemic theory.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Midi

Jedi Priestess
oh freak another book messed

Tptmanno1
Yea right!
too late for me to read all that

Cipher
Someone has a lot of free time.....

Here's how a person should live: by doing what they think is right for them.

HockeyHorror
following Lao-Tzu? no i disagree on "doing what they think is right"

some people think Genocide is right...some people think Sacrifical Cults are right....

Cipher
Well, sure . That's taking it to an extreme...
I was thinking of normal everyday people.

Gregory
I don't think anybody quite realizes the value of paragraphs until they try to read something like that OP.

My morality: As long as it doesn't harm others, do whatever you want. I'm not a Wicca (that's there Rede I just paraphrased), but it's always seemed a particularly sensible idea.

Cipher
I think Gregory above stated it better......

Midi
Hitler thought it was right for him to kill or enslave all except a minority. Similarly for psychopaths etc. Your view is too simplified. If there is a way of life that is justifiable, then that way is right -- as opposed to the different, conflicting ways different individuals merely believe is right. Once most individuals believed that the sun goes round the earth, that slavery, sexism, racism, non-democratic governments were the right way. We need something better than mere belief. That is the concern of the book.

Cipher
Some people are going to do evil and some aren't....
Why no one could think of anything but the worst, I'm not sure. Hitler was an egomaniac who craved power and got it through the means that were available to him. People should think for themselves because most are rational and are able to sort out what's best. That's what I had in mind.....
I'd have been more specific if I'd known the response that would result.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.