Isn't hypnotism a terrible power ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Papaumau
Have any of you been hypnotised at a show or anywhere ?

I think that to be able to hypnotise someone is the most powerful ability that anybody could have.

I have seen many people do crazy things while under "the influence".

The thing is, although it seems to be like sleep or sleepwalking it is much more than that.

It is the ultimate power of one person over another.

They said that Hitler and Rasputin could mass-hypnotise thousands of people at a time.

Now that's scary stuff.

m!$hA
like in the fourth harry potter book.

but i myself dont beleive in hypnotysm. its one of the many things where i have to experience it to beleive it erm

shellie
hmmmm........hypnotism . it reminds me of a qoute from a movie .

"with great power , comes great responsibility"

Jedi Priestess
meh hypnotism is the equivallent of a Jedi mind trick.................only works on the weak minded. laughing out loud

Papaumau
Yeh Shellie, you are right of course !

The thing is, that they say that you can never be hypnotised to do anything that you normally wouldn't do, but just watch what the TV hypnotists get people to do who would NEVER do those things at any other time.

And YES....m!$hA....

It IS real as I have seen it done up close to people, ( friends ), who would never do any of the stuff that they do under hypnosis

yerssot
hypnotism isn't a terrible power... if you are suggested to do something dangerous or something you would never do, you snap out of it. Hypnotism isn't being "enchanted" by someone, it's a strong suggestion when you're between dreaming and awake.

Saying that someone wouldn't do "that" when being awake, shows you don't know the person well, cause (s)he obviously did it when hypnotised so would do it awake too

Who are you? you're spiderman stick out tongue

hobbit_dude
um... i dont believe n hypnotism

Papaumau
Don't know about the "weakness" or "strength" of the mind but yes, you can resist hypnotism.

I was at a club-level show one time where the hypnotist tested the audience by making them interlock their fingers and turn their hands round so that the back was facing to the person. Then he suggested strongly that we would not be able to separate our fingers if he said we couldn't. He said we couldn't and then he asked us to try.

About two-thirds of the audience COULD free their fingers but the remaining third could not no matter how hard they tried. I found this test even more shocking than the hypnotism itself as these people were NOT hypnotised; they mere merely under his suggestion that they could not free their hands.

Of course he picked his victims from the group that were more suggestable after this "test" !

I managed to free my hands during the test BUT....it took all of my will to do it.

They say that this is not a powerful ability...I say "tosh", it certainly is !

yerssot
pap... if you do the same test but he works more on "convincing" you, ie... you have your eyes closed and he talks to you and says that you will hear faint music and an assistant in the other room starts music and you hear it, or he tells that the room will go red and he turns a switch to make it do so or something, and THEN asks to do that trick, you won't succeed

speiderman
How does hypnotism work? And is it more like power of suggestion?

yerssot
it is a strong suggestion

Dexx
bleh..what are you people about? confused
hypnotism isn't a power. anyone can learn how to do it. and most importantly, it CANNOT work without the person WILLING to be hypnotised. IF you are though.....you just have to put your trust into the guy doing it. That's why i'd never do it..

Papaumau
Yeah Yerssot....

You are probably right as then he will have targetted me directly !

I am sure that there are people who cannot be hypnotised but what they would need to have that quality I haven't a clue !

Papaumau
Dexx...... you can call it whatever you like, but if one person is able to - with their permission - take over the mind of another I would call that a "power" !

It is a bit like learning to use a screwdriver properly....Before you learned how to do it you did not have the special ability that using a screwdriver correctly requires...ergo... you have learned a "power" !

Dexx
yep..a power it is...just like using a screw driver. but as long as anyone is in theory able to learn it, i would hardly call it special, and definitely not terrible.

Papaumau
I don't know if just "anybody" can learn it or if they could we would all be doin it don't you think ?

I still think that it is a "terrible" power when a charismatic person can do it to thousands of people at the same time.

In fact, I don't think we know half of what is hidden within that power.

Dexx
err...no.
just because a thing is in theory teachable to anyone does NOT mean we'd all be doing it. There is still the process of actually assimilating it. which is why we're not all professional snooker players or sprint swimmers (letting aside the issue of phisical fitness and/or talent)

You don't have to be extremely charismatic to be able to hypnotise someone. a lot of shrinks do it. and as i said. NO_ONE can do it to you, if you're not willing to in the first place.
There is nothing enigmatic about the guy that does it. It's more or less a standard procedure. It's what happens with the subconscious level when ..it happens, that's intriguing.

Gregory
You are misinterpretting that, I believe. You cannot be made to do something that goes against your nature. You might not ordinarilly bark like a dog, but it is not anathema to most people. And outside of TV, you cannot use hypnotism to "take over someone's mind" (this is all according to psychologists, who use hypnotism professionally, so I am rather inclined to believe it).

Papaumau
OK...maybe I am a stubborn old sod, but to me just the act of making someone perform like a stupid fool while they are "under the fluence" suggest that that hypnotist is opening a door in that person's mind that they normally keep tight shut.

I am sure that ninety per cent of those people would NEVER do what they do when hypnotised if they had any say in the matter.

I STILL find the mass-hypnosis phenomenon a very powerful and potentially "terrible" form of influence.

If you are trying to say that both Hitler and Rasputin, ( both of whom were said to be able to hypnotise massive crowds), were not charismatic figures then you are not going to persuade me of this.

Dexx
i don't get what you're saying. hitler and rasputin were charismatic persons. they knew how to handle and manipulate crowds. it is NOT the same as in hypnotising. This is a speciffic technique, whic requires speciffic training.

and ofcourse they wouldn't normally do thing they when hypnotised. what would the point of doing it in the first place then? they HAVE to access locked doors in the human mind. And, to be honest..it's a delicate matter....they mostly use it after intense traumas, which because you're in shock cause you to lock some details up in your head. But these are private matter..not something to be televised...and where i don't have the guarantee that the hypnotised guy isn't actually payed to bark and be no more than silly

Moo Cow
i personaly dont think hypnotism is real. no expression but of course, ive never seen anyone perform it, and ive never been hynotised, so what can i say?

MildPossession
Most of the rubbish that appears on stage shows and television is just a lot of stupidity, mostly with actors, and if they are able to hypnotise, it find very wrong to play with peoples minds like that for 'fun'.

My mum is a hypnotheripist and she has helped a lot of people over come problems, and also helped people get a long better with their psychological problems because obviously it's very hard to get rid of it via hypnotherapy most of the time, but it can help for the people who are willing to let it into their mind.

Not ANYONE can do the real hypnotherapy.

It's both dangerous and positive, depends whose hands it is in. Like most things.

Papaumau
In fact Dexx...

When you say:

You are actually supporting my original idea.

I see that people of strong personality and charismatic character are in fact natural hypnotists who do it probably without actually meaning to do it.

Hypnotism, Pelmanism, ( self-hypnosis to improve the memory ), Mesmerism or simple auto-suggestion needs one person to catch and hold the attention of one or a number of people long enough to be able to take control of their actions. Even although this is made to look very easy by the entertainment hypnotists I am sure that some people will take to applying hypnosis much more readily and easily than many others will.

I don't think that it is just about mastering a learned technique, I think that it is more about the ability of one mind to hold other minds in control.

That idea sends shivers up my spine I am afraid !

NB....

For the sceptics here is only one hit from Google:

http://hypnosistreatmentcenter.com/page97.html

Evy_O
hypnotism IS real, it has been scientifically proved yes

and no, I don't think it's too dangerous, cause you cannot be hypnotised if you don't want yourself erm

yerssot
that's the idea... you know Benny Hinn? that "healer"? he works with the same things... mass hypnotizing. Let people work as one organism where if one starts with the crap, the rest follows.
You can do that with using powerful signs (bodylanguage, wave fists in the air, etc.), lots of lights going in a certain patern, and music coming and going every 4 seconds.

that and some tricks... how come some don't get "healed" with this? cause they have a too strong will to get suggestions like that and your "level of religion" plays in it too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.