My computer has died

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Silver Stardust
Okay. So I'm online, surfing the net, and I click a link. Internet Explorer freezes, so I close it. Well. I try to open back up IE, and the entire comp freezes. I restart the computer, and log back into my account. I try opening up IE, and it won't open. All I get is the little hourglass cursor for about ten seconds, and then it'll go back to the normal cursor but IE will not have opened. I try open my My Documents folder, My Computer, my Control Panel...all the same thing. Occasionally when I try opening something the whole comp will stall and then the screen will go blank, showing only my wallpaper, and then go back to how it was. Right now the only things I can get to open are MSN, AIM, Winamp, Windows Media Player, and Wordpad messed I think my mom was tinkering with settings, but I can't even go back to change it because my account doesn't have admin capabilities (thank you, pain in the ass siblings logging into my account to sneak on the internet), and I don't know the password to the admin account. Any ideas as to what's going on, or will I just need to wait for my mom to change back whatever she messed up?

(and to post this...I had to use Winamp's minibrowser to access the internet erm )

Dexx
well....open my computer and tru putting a link up in the address bar. just like you would in IE. it automatically switches to IE when accessing the page...but it might not block anymore...that is until you fix IE

Silver Stardust
Tried that, My Computer won't open erm I had to do that for a long time on our old computer because IE always crashed, so it was the first thing I tried.

SpikeSpiegel
erm

§pearhead
sounds like spyware, I had a veeeeeeery similar problem, and only just fixed it...and a spyware killer is what fixed it

Silver Stardust
My spyware killer likes to freeze the computer...what do you use?

SpikeSpiegel
I use Spybot

Silver Stardust
That's the one I've got, but it always freezes while removing the spyware erm

SpikeSpiegel
While it's creating a system restore point?

Silver Stardust
No, it'll locate all the spyware and start removing it, but once it's almost done removing it it'll just freeze up mad

§pearhead
spy sweeper...download.com, then search for spy sweeper, it's the webroot 3 version

(props to eezy45 on that one stick out tongue)

Silver Stardust
Awesome, I'll check it out.

Silver Stardust
Damnit...I downloaded it and saved the exe file into my documents...forgetting that I can't get the bloody folder to open! Picture me banging my head on the keyboard right now...

EDIT -- tried installing it, only to discover that I need admin capabilities to install the program mad

§pearhead
I didn't need anything blink that was one of the few plug and play programs I ever downloaded

Silver Stardust
It won't let me install because my account doesn't have admin capabilities and I don't have the password to the admin account mad

And I tried running Spybot, did the same thing it always does...and everything's still being screwy.

JKozzy
She has a limited account on XP... which basically really screws you over messed

§pearhead
ah...y'see, there's only one account on my cpu, mine, that never even occured to me

is there a way you can get the admin thingers for your account messed

Silver Stardust
Nope, because the admin account is password protected and only my mom knows the password, and being as I'm not even supposed to be on right now...I don't see being able to get the password out of her messed

Darth Sauron
Go to your mom yes

Silver Stardust
Yeah, and then be grounded from the internet for all eternity? (or at least until I have a router so I can have internet on my comp?) I don't think so stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
Go to window...Open window....take computer....punt computer out window.

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud good advice...wouldn't help too much in this situation though because then I'd have to explain to my mom where her comp went no expression

Tptmanno1
raccoons.

Silver Stardust
Raccoons threw her computer out the window. Yeah, I'm sure that'd work roll eyes (sarcastic)

I could possibly blame it on a sibling...hmm...shifty

Fire
SS I'm sure there are programs which you can get to get admin privileges or atleast get the password

Linkalicious
when in doubt clap your hands together....

why not? it worked for Tinker Bell...

Silver Stardust
*claps*

*waits*

Nothing happened. Damn. no expression

Darth Sauron
Dont do a thing, let her go on it....and when she realises say 'its been working for me, you must have done something'

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud that's my plan of action as of right now!

Darth Sauron
Best thing to do wink

yerssot
Always have protection

TOH
Any possibility of overheating? Do you have an AMD processor? Check temperatures (Motherboard and CPU) to be sure yes

Silver Stardust
Yeah, we do have AMD...but I'm pretty sure it's not that, I shut the computer down for a few hours just to make sure.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.