Why do people like Halo that much?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LeAtHerRFace
Its okay as a FPS. It sucks on the pc, but better on the Xbox. Its nothing compared to the other FPS games out there. Battlefield, Farcry, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc.

Royal Knight
Halo is a good FPS multiplayer game...

I suppose that is why people like it so much

LeAtHerRFace
oh blink

Royal Knight
yeah you are right about Doom 3 being better then Haloyes

not sure about the other games you have mentioned

LeAtHerRFace
have you played any of the other games?

Royal Knight
I have played an Unreal Tournament..but not the one you mentioned

LeAtHerRFace
you gotta try the one i mentioned. its awesome!

MC Mike
Yea, UT2004 is a lot like Halo, with the vehicles and all, and yes, it is better. Doom 3? Doom 3 kicks its ass so bad I feel sorry for it. stick out tongue Battlefield and Farcry are also as good as Halo, if not better. But for some reason, people tend to cling to one game, and once they do, change isn't quick. I know way too many poeple that are addicted to Starcraft and just don't play other games. erm

LeAtHerRFace
Exactly, well said yes

cal31
I'll reverse the question, why do so many hate on Halo? Because it's like the yankees in baseball, it's the best there is so people bash it, things that are that good will always get bashed. Halo had some of the best graphics on a console up until then, the multiplayer mode was the best ever, period, the story was very good, unlike most other fps, had a unique style to every part of the game, and had one of the best control setups for a fps ever. In many fps reviews since halo, when describing the controls, they base them off of the Halo controls, just proving how smooth and perfect everything works. It's the combined product that blows most every other game in it's genre away.

MC Mike
Well then, here's my answer to that stick out tongue :

A) I don't hate Halo, and yes, I know a lot of people do.

B) It DID set a lot of the things seen in games today, and it WAS great in his time.

BUT - now it is DEFINETLY NOT the best game out there, and although it's still a bit fun, there are better games, and people should now go on to better ones. erm

Linkalicious
Ok, Halo came out in what....2001?

Doom came out 3 weeks ago, unreal came out this year, Farcry...this year. And Battlefield was like, late last year or something.

On PC, Halo kicks more ass than it does on Xbox....you just need a good enough computer to run it right.

How are you even going to try and compare a left thumbstick to a mouse when it comes to aiming????

Halo's multiplayer online is also much more efficient than most of those titles when it comes to hosting online games.

I spent all last night playing around with their multiplayer. I can host a 16 player game, LAG FREE, while still playing the game. No dedicated server required.

-Doom 3 doesn't have Vehicles.
-FarCry's vehicles SUCK bad.
-Unreal has some cool vehicles, but that game is tooooooo fast for it's own good.
-Battlefield has killer vehicles, but there is the slight down side of it being an old school war game.

BackFire
Halo is hugely over rated. People seem to give it credit for creating the whole vehicular aspect of the multiplayer game, this is however, wrong.

Credit for the creation of vehicular multiplayer modes should go to Tribes, which did it years before Halo.

Everything else halo does is pretty typical, nothing out of the ordinary. It's a good game, but I think it pales when compared to some of the top PC shooters, such as the original Half Life.

ragesRemorse
i prefer Rogue squadren, medal of honor, half life, call to arms, kill switch and the gran daddy of FPS AvP 2 (i say this because i havent gotten to experience doom yet) over halo. I have always thought halo was over rated crap All it ever was, was pretty colors, with nice guns, and bad ass sound effects. I thought red faction achieved what halo failed to do, and that is a nice Fps with new angles, and also has a consistant story. Shit even Run like hell was a funner play for me than halo was.

Silver Stardust
Halo's a lot of fun to play against friends yes pretty good party game, actually. Or so I think.

Tptmanno1
CS kickes halo's ass to hell.
and that was out YEARS ago.

cal31
you know it's just so funny to hear people say "Halo is so overated, it sucks, blah, blah." First of all, if it's so horrible, how come on virtually every place you look it's got some of the best reviews for a game there is. How come when someone mentions Halo nowadays, they think of Halo the game. How come Halo 2 is already the best selling game, has had ads in movie theaters unlike any game before? I guess it's just because it's a typical game that sucks. Hmmmmm....

cal31
and if Halo is typical, what did Cs do so much better than any other game? Did it have great graphics, no, did it have a great story line, no, did it add anything new to gaming, no. It's an opinion which is better, but from a technical standpoint, no CS does not " kickes halo's ass to hell". laughing

BackFire
Halo didn't do anything new either, it just took the basic aspects of other FPS games and combined them.

Also, the only reason Halo is popular is because it's primarily a console game, and there are very few good console shooters. I won't deny that compared to console shooters, Halo is gold. But it's when you compare it to PC FPS games, it falls short of some of the greats.

Also, about CS, CS actually did more new things then Halo did. It was the first game that combined both traditional action FPS aspects and traditional strategy FPS aspects. It was strategic, and fast paced and fun. And yes, it had great graphics for it's time. Halo, on the other hand....

cal31
Halo had some of the best graphics of it's time, had the best AI in a game to date, had the best controls for a console FPS. CS was not the first to do that. The Rainbow Six series did that long before CS. Plus Cs was basically an add on to Half Life.

cal31
Besides Halo, consoles have had other great FPS such as 007 Golden eye, Medal of Honor for PSOne, Perfect Dark for N64, so there have been other great FPS for consoles, it's not like there was crap and then comes an ok game in Halo, Halo is just that much better.

BackFire
Wrong. Rainbow Six did not have the quick, action packed tension of CS. It was all strategy and very little action. As I said, CS combined aspects of both strategy FPS's, such as Rainbow Six, and combined the frantic tension of action FPS's.

Also, Halo had the best graphics for a console shooter. But again, if compared to a PC FPS from the same era, it had nothing.

Also, you're right about there being a few good shooters for consoles, but look at how old they all are. They were few and far between, as opposed to the PC, which has numerous great shooters every year that are better then those console shooters.

greyboy
I think that Halo revolutionized the way FPS games were made...and yet, no one has made a rivaling game yet. Bungie came out with ingenius coop MP which was really the draw for most people, at least initially. After that, the cult following began, master chief became a household name for gamers, and the rest is history.

Linkalicious
I have Halo on PC and on Xbox. On PC when I run the game with high resolution and high settings on graphics and details....Halo's graphics are actually very impressive.

Halo isn't the best at any one area of FPS gaming...but it's well rounded over all. On the PC version, you can use the Banshee's, you can pick up that big green gun that those huge guys carry, and there's a warthog with a 3 rocket launching turret. That adds to the ghost, normal warthog, and tank quite nicely. There's also a pretty bad ass flame thrower.

Halo on PC is the same game as on console, only it's got a lot more options for multiplayer. And again, hosting your own game is great because you can host a 16 player multiplayer game with a basic cable modem, and get no lag. (atleast i can)

WindDancer
Why don't you take that question and turn it around towards other video game franchises? Why do people like Final Fantasy that much? Why do people like Mario that much? Why do people like Tomb Raider that much?

Another thing, why do people continue to compare Halo to other FPS? I mean what do you want to prove? That FPS console game is not the same as FPS PC game? Wow! that's some new discovery you guys out there are trying to prove. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Linkalicious
yah, i paid $300 for my X-box, and like $2500 for my PC.

Really fair to compare the capabilites of the two...

LeAtHerRFace
1. i have a bad ass comp:

3.2 ghz amd 64
msi k8n neo platinum (250gb nforce chipset)
creative audigy sb 2 platinum pro
5.1 surround sound speakers
sony 17" monitor
logitech mx510 optical mouse
1024mb/1gb ultra low latency pc3200 ddr400
new video card: ati radeon 9800xt
keyboard: doom 3 Zboard
400 enermax ps
windows xp pro
6 extra fans
52x32x52 cdrw, dvdr lite on
seagate 160gb hd 7200rpm

my comps rocks, and halo sucks balls on it. i also tried it on the g5 and it still sucks compared to the other fps. in my opinion its way better on the xbox.
link, i think your one of those ppl who dont like change. otherwise, youd be playing alot better fps games(ex. Ut 2004, Doom 3, Farcry, Battlefield, Call of duty) smile
ut is probably too fast for you either because:
1. junk comp and graphics card etc
2. your too used to playing slow ass fps games(halo)
3. fill in.

LeAtHerRFace
whats it to you? roll eyes (sarcastic)

dont post if your gonna b!tch. stay on the topic

Into the Void
There's a flame thrower in the PC version of Halo!? What the ****...man, I've been missing out.

Samas-adian
Halo's action is awesome. The combat rocks. One bad thing is the crap ass level design. It is soo horrible. The indoor scenes are compleltly identical. Same textures and everything. Luckly the action is good, so it aint that bad. But come on. the level's suck.

Master Revan
So have i!

SaTsuJiN
well Im going to aim this statement more toward halo2 as halo 1 is pretty old in terms of technology... I think halo is so good because it takes aim toward multiplayer First person shooter elements from the PC world and gives it to console casual gamers. Such as multi-passenger vehicles, large capture the flag maps to accomodate more than 4 players (which used to be the norm for console fps gamers). Halo basically delivered what console fps lovers didnt have for a long time. I dont think halo1 had the best ai or physics, but I think the graphics were really nice for when it first came out. Halo 2's graphics are nothing short of stunning as they've really taken heavy useage of new bump mapping techniques. I think 2 will be a major success not because of campaign, but because of how much more attention they've paid to multiplayer (which was the obvious thing to do), thus further proving my thought of how they're giving to console gamers something they've never had before. Im definately going to be getting halo 2 smile

Linkalicious
I was just messing around on Halo...i haven't played it in months.

My time has been spent playing 3 of the best FPS out right now, so don't give me that load about not trying something new.

I have FarCry, I have Doom 3, and I beta test CS: Source. All are graphically better than Halo. FarCry and Source have better aiming than Halo.(Doom does not)

I haven't played URT2004, but I own 2k2 and 2k3. They are good games, but not much to my liking. Always fun when company is over...

WindDancer
Who's bitchin here? And how I'm not on topic? I clearly asked why do ppl compared a console game to a pc game? From Halo to Doom III? At least answer my try to answer my simple question.

Linkalicious
I run an extremly similar PC.

Differences being i have
-7 fans
-200 gig harddrive
-2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 w/ Hyperthreading
- 21" monitor
- 550 watt power supply (came with the case)

either you're lying about the specs on your PC, or you're completely full of crap when it comes to your comparison of Halo on PC vs. Halo on console.

Halo is a much much better game on PC than it is on console. A processor that fast, that much gig, and that nice of a graphics card will run any game on the market smoothly. Your biased hatred of Halo shines through all too much.

BackFire
Perhaps it's because Halo was originally going to be a PC exclusive title.

Linkalicious
when was Halo release?

when were the other major PC titles that it's being pitted up against released?

BackFire
Well, I pit it against Half Life regularly. That was out in 1998.

vaya_the_elf
Well I like Halo because my friends play it... and we all have it, and its fun to play that game together.. Although so is neverwinter nights smile

Stormy Day
I like the game but it might be spoiled for some because of all the "Best game on X-BOX" talk that goes around but its good none the less and a great game to play with others.

cal31
If you think Halo is overrated, Half Life is the most overrated game ever. The only thing new it basically had was graphics, but like Halo, it wasn't just one thing that made it great, it was the sum of all the things about the game that made it so good.

Linkalicious
No...it really is ONE of the best games on X-Box.

I just don't know if that's saying something good for the game, or bad about the system. embarrasment

BackFire
Half Life was far more revolutionary then Halo was. The list of things Half life did for the genre is simply huge...

It was one of the first story driven FPS games. It did this 3 years before Halo did it as well.

It had the best A.I. of any FPS game before it, period.

The multiplayer aspect was second to none, still is. It spawned so many great multiplayer mods that influential on their own.

It also had great graphics, and great sound effects. It's atmosphere was also incredible at the time.

Bottom line, Half Life is not over rated, much of Halo's success is due to this game and some of the things it pioneered into the genre.

SaTsuJiN
Half Life was definately not overrated... the sound algorithms alone are still unmatched even by todays gaming

Samas-adian
Its funny how people are still comparing new shooters to Half-Life.

SaTsuJiN
Thats simple, it was ahead of its time when it was released. A rarity for current games to carry that kind of hefty innovation power under thier belts.

cal31
I know it wasn't overrated, but if people think Halo is overrated, then half life is, because they were both just as revolutionary. Half life had the best AI, then Halo beat it, Half Life had the best multiplayer, Halo beats that, Halo was a story driven FPS, check that, all of this on a console.

cal31
It's funny to think what would've happened if Halo was released on Mac first as it was originally planned. How big do you think it would've gotten?

ScarFace Clone
Halo is so over rated it isent even funny. but i guess it has a reason to be overratted because it was like the first game for x-box and they only made like 3 game in the first year so they needed to brag about something?

cal31
Umm no, they had many releases, and I like how you bring your sorry ass in here and say it's overrated with no facts to back yourself up, and have a dumbass thinking process when you say xbox only made 3 games the first year. There was about 40 titles released in 2001, along with Max Payne, Project Gothem, Tony Hawk 3, and many more I don't have the time to name. Not surprised an idiot like you would think it's overrated.

Linkalicious
lets calm down now cal...

fact is, Halo created it's own hype. You didn't hear about Halo months before the realse of X-Box, you heard about it once X-Box was released. It got it's "hype" from word of mouth. I've never seen a Halo commercial, I've only heard good things about it from word of mouth.

The only people I've ever heard complain about it is on this site, and most of those people complain because they either have PS2 and are haters...or because they are comparing it to Half Life.

Halo never claimed to be innovative....it just claimed to be a good game. And it is a good game.

ScarFace Clone
what i ment by 3 games, is games that are only for x-box so yes i did have some facts. like tony hawk and max payne those are both for other systems, the only games i say the first year were like munches oddisey and halo and gothom racing

Stormy Day
Not "The Best" and not "The reason to buy an X-BOX" yes

dark1365
Halo is a great FPS...the thing that really stands out the most is the awesome multiplayer mods.

ScarFace Clone
its so fake though- Like when you are sniping your gun stays perfictly still you are fightinh aliens with plasma rifels and i just do not like it.

BackFire
Not true, I heard quite a bit about Halo months before it was released. It was a pretty big deal.

Halo may have never claimed to be innovative, but there are a lot of people that do claim it is. It is a good game, no doubt about it. But it's not worthy of the praise of "best FPS ever" that it often gets.

LeAtHerRFace
laughing out loud ok

i agree with you on the aiming. but otherwise, doom3 rocks halos world.

hell yeah, land parties rock!!

LeAtHerRFace
because we want to. and its too damn over rated sad

LeAtHerRFace
iam not lying. i made this comp by myself. i just think its a lil faster on the xbox. because ive only played halo twice on my custom pc and the g5. stick out tongue

no argue on the graphics though. i just dont like halo: 1.overrated 2.the levels do suck balls 3.its nothing compared to the other fps out now

LeAtHerRFace
I agree with BF. Halflife is far superior than the likes of Halo. And so will the sequels when they come out this year

SaTsuJiN
Im still not understanding how you feel halo has revolutionary A.I. ....(im pretty sure they just run around and shoot) and on top of that, you're checking off all of half-life's funfactor --in favor of halo -- all based on your opinion. If you thought half-life was hot trash compared to Halo, then so be it. However, being that the game was supposed to have hit PC before console, I think it gives PC gamers the indisputable right to rant. PC gamers know quality when it comes to first person shooters, as it makes up for more than 80% of thier game libraries. Thus, if you try playing halo on pc, you will notice the quality it lacks compared to such treasures as half-life.

LeAtHerRFace
Halo no

KidRock
Halo is nothing special in my opinion. Me and my friend play the DEMO on multiplayer every now and then.

cal31
Well Halo 2 is already outselling Half Life 2 by a lot.

LeAtHerRFace
Yeah right.

cal31
Here you go straight from Gamespy.com:
"Halo also contains some of the best enemy AI ever seen in a videogame, and Bungie would do well to package it up and license it out to other developers. Between the Xbox and PC, I've now played Halo about five times, and rarely do battles play out the same way twice. Sometimes enemies split up, sometimes they stick together. Sometimes they hang back, sometimes they rush. If you try to snipe them, they'll duck for cover. If you try to run them over, they'll jump out of the way. The one constant is that on anything but the lowest difficulty setting, you never feel like you're fighting brainless bots (well, at least not until the Flood, another race of enemies, arrives). Playing through Halo is an engaging mix of straight-ahead action and tactical combat that I'm not sure exists in any other game to date."

Answer your question cool

LeAtHerRFace
maybe back in the day... but not in present tense roll eyes (sarcastic)

cal31
Name a game that beats it. Besides this is a review from last year, so it's not like it's from 2001 and doesn't include many new games since then, because it does.

cal31
Dude I'm not kidding, Halo 2 is already the best selling game ever. Ask gamestop if don't think so.

cal31
Did I mention that Halo has gotten better reviews than Half Life on most gamesites, including Ign.com and Gamespot.com?

LeAtHerRFace
do you want me to name any/all games thats better than halo? itll take forever to finish the list of things that are better than halo laughing out loud

LeAtHerRFace
doesnt matter on sales. it matters if the game is better or not

cal31
I'm talking about the AI, since you thought the review was outdated, but you were sadly mistaken, it's your opinion if you think Halo sucks, but it's a fact the AI is one of the best ever.

cal31
Well Halo got better reviews than Half Life and so will Halo 2, so whatever way you look at it, Halo kicks Half Life's ass.

LeAtHerRFace
yes it is my opinion. the AI probably was the best back then. but thats been a few years ago. ut 2004, farcry, doom3,etc. has way better ai then halo.

ScarFace Clone
Leather face knows what he is talking about^^^!

cal31
Not with the AI. Halo's AI is better than farcry and Ut2004. Doom 3 does not have very good AI, that's been one of the biggest complaints about the game. The respawing of the enemies is horrible, the AI don't change their attacks at all, so if you played through it once, then another time, they'd react just as they did the first time. Halo is the complete opposite.

ScarFace Clone
well dude i would rather have fun games and ok graphics, yeah it had good graphics but it isnt that fun it's ok! Deffinitly nothin revolutionary or anything like that

BackFire
Far Cry's A.I. is far better.

Also, where is this info of Halo 2 being the best selling game of all time already? Give me a link to where it says this, because I think it's bullshit. The game is not even released yet.

ScarFace Clone
Yes.

SaTsuJiN
Most of halo's supposedly "revolutionary" a.i. was scripted events. Personally I found them to be quite stupid, as they would run for cover but leave thier head exposed to recieve sniper fire. :sigh: oh well.. each games have thier fans. Im sure this question has been more than answered in any case.

BackFire
Not really, the only answer I've seen for people like Halo so much is simple ignorance and inexperience when it comes to FPS games.

SaTsuJiN
Yes, ignorance and inexperience...which after 5 pages is what ultimately makes up this thread.

ScarFace Clone
I agree.

bardock
yes

MC Mike
yes yes

cal31
no

cal31
big grin

Samas-adian
The whole thing about how each battle in Halo was never the same. That was also true in Half Life. Encountering the commando's, you could stay behind but get shelled by grenades and then get flanked. Or you could attack directly and they would disperse. Or if you injured one of them, he would limp to safety. The AI was great. The game was great.

Im currently playing Halo, and im having mixed feelings. The fights are good, but not great. The elite just go back and forth, wow dodging ability, SO AMAZING.

That was sarcasm if didnt notice.

cal31
no really

Linkalicious
the only decent display of AI is near the very end of the game when you come back to the Pillar of Autumn.

There are some silver-ish looking Hunters that are pretty impressive. They dodge for cover until their shields replenish, and they have amazing accuracy with both their Plasma Rifles and Grenades.

By no means was it SPECTACULAR. But it was pretty interesting. Almost like fighting a human being. (when on Legendary)

Cutting edge? Revolutionary? ground breaking? No

Fun? Enjoyable? Definitly.

cal31
You're the fricken ignorant one, I've quoted reviews saying it had some of the best AI ever, some of the best gameplay ever, some of the best graphics up till then of any FPS, and that's from people who've played more FPS than days that you have lived, so if that is inexperience, than we're all screwed. So what the hell are you talking about the only answer you got was ignorance. If you would if you would actually listen for once you could maybe understand, but instead you have to say you don't like and don't care what made it such a good game and nothing will change that. If you were so right about how halo wasn't that good, why is it rated so good on every site, why is it the best selling xbox game ever, why is it the most popular game to play at college all around the U.S.?
Just wondering, how many of the people in here that don't like Halo have own only ps2 or a pc and not xbox?

RaventheOnly
confused i've played all the games you spoke of and Halo still rocks when i look back on it confused i've played and owned a lot of FPS since the very beginning of the genera confused console and computer alike confused Halo has this kind of aura when you sit ajnd play it that is like nothing else. nothing has ever moved as smooth ever since. I regularily play 1942 and Vietnam and UT2004 i own them confused but they move like all the others.... nothing that ensares one.

cal31
Exactly!!!!!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

ScarFace Clone
Cal i have a friend and he owns all three systems X-box,PS2, and game cube and he likes Ps2 the best and yes he dose own halo. i agree with him when he says that halo gets boring after about 45 minutes. so you coment about only owning ps2 and not listening and all that crap is wrong.

Linkalicious
I can attest to that. Halo's worst and best features are their levels. Some levels take like an hour to beat, which is fun if you're drawn into the game, but tedious if you were looking to just fly through.

Most of the indoor levels are boring and repetitive, but the outdoor levels are lots and lots of fun.

BackFire
Wow, you quoted reviews, good for you. Way to let other people argue for you. Maybe instead of quoting some online reviews from people who weren't good enough to get into the game mags you should set up your own argument instead of "gamespot said this so it much be true , duh". That's not how it works. A review is not proof of anything. It's just one persons opinion, it's no more valid then anyone elses.

Again, you're showing your inexperience. The game DID NOT have the best graphics of any FPS ever when it came out. Maybe compared to console FPS games, but not compared to some PC games that were out at the same time.

Perhaps if you actually READ my posts you would have noticed that I said IT IS A GOOD GAME. But not worthy of the massive praise it gets, and certainly not worthy of the title of "Best FPS" it often gets. Also, you would have noticed that I've given plenty of statements to back up my statements. Statements that aren't lifted directly out of a review. Again, the argument of "it got good reviews, so it's good" is not valid. You're just telling me that some loser who couldn't get a job at Gamepro liked it. Wow, what credibility.

And it's funny, you use the same tired arguments to defend the game - "If it's not good then why did it sell so well, why is it so popular, why does it get good reviews" I'll tell you why it's the best selling X-Box game ever, because it's the only GOOD X-Box game that isn't also available on another system.

And to answer your final question, I don't own an X-Box, I have a PS2 and a nice PC that can run any game I throw at it, so why would I want to buy an X-Box, which is essentially a poor mans PC.

cal31
I've given reasons why Halo is great;great controls,best multiplayer ever, great gameplay, great AI, great graphics, so if those aren't giving my own reasons I don't know what is. But you didn't agree with that, so I gave reasons from experts, you still won't listen. Yeah they arn't in the magazines so they must suck, by the way which game magazine do you work for if you know so much more than them, gamespy and Ign are two of the biggest game sites on the web, so you must be a ****ing genius if you know so much more. Don't tell me this shit about how inexperienced I am, I've played plenty of FPS, so shut the hell up. Halo is available on pc, so yes it is on another system, and even if it was just for xbox, why does that affect its sales. If a good game is released for xbox, ps2, and pc, do you think people who own an xbox won't buy it just because it's on other systems? No, they would buy it because it's a good game, it just show how great Halo is because it appealed to a huge age group.

Again you prove you do not comprehend things you read. I said it had some of the best graphics in a fps, not the best, you just totally ignored that part huh?
Xbox is a poor man's pc, that's why I have both, but PS2 is a pile. Most people who think Halo isn't that great are Ps2 owners, plain and simple.

BackFire
"I've given reasons why Halo is great;great controls,best multiplayer ever, great gameplay, great AI, great graphics, so if those aren't giving my own reasons I don't know what is."

Holy shit, those are such cookie cutter statements that is boggles my mind. Those statements could be said about just about any game, they are so broad that they are silly. WHAT is it about the controls that you like so much? WHAT is so great about the graphics? WHAT is so great about the A.I. (actually, it's already been established in this thread that the A.I. is nothing more then decent). WHAT about the multiplayer is so great? If you're going to make such generic and dimwitted statements, back them up if you wish to be taken seriously by anyone with a brain.

"But you didn't agree with that, so I gave reasons from experts, you still won't listen. Yeah they arn't in the magazines so they must suck, by the way which game magazine do you work for if you know so much more than them, gamespy and Ign are two of the biggest game sites on the web, so you must be a ****ing genius if you know so much more."

hah, predictable. There's always some short minded S.O.B out there who will always use the tried and true dipshit defense of "well they know more then you because they work for a game publisher/website". Again, that's false. They didn't get that job because they know alot about games. They got that job because they have solid writing skills. Also, so what if I don't work for a game mag/website? I'm not using game mags or reviews as the basis of my arguments. I prefer to come up with points of my own, and back them up with my own thoughts/statements, rather then lifting arguments from other people.

"Don't tell me this shit about how inexperienced I am, I've played plenty of FPS, so shut the hell up."

I don't have to tell you, you're proving me right with every post you make. By saying Halo has "great A.I." you're just proving to me that you havne't played any FPS games that actually DO have great A.I. As someone stated above, the A.I. is nothing special. The monsters strafe, wow, that's amazing. If you think A.I like that is something special then that just suggests to me that the only FPS games you've played are the likes of Doom or Quake. Not games that actually do have great A.I. You say you've played plenty of FPS games, I don't believe you. Because from my experience the people who love Halo so much HAVE NOT played very many FPS games. Halo is usually the only solid FPS game they've ever played. People who have played alot of FPS games recognize Halo as a fun game, but not the great, revolutionary masterpiece that it is falsely recognize as by so many inexperienced people.

"Halo is available on pc, so yes it is on another system, and even if it was just for xbox, why does that affect its sales. If a good game is released for xbox, ps2, and pc, do you think people who own an xbox won't buy it just because it's on other systems? No, they would buy it because it's a good game, it just show how great Halo is because it appealed"

Holy shit, are you serious? It effects sales because for everyone who bought an Xbox, it was the only option they had. And what is this huge age group? lvl 17-25? Most FPS games apeal to the same age group, so I don't know what that argument is all about.

"Again you prove you do not comprehend things you read. I said it had some of the best graphics in a fps, not the best, you just totally ignored that part huh?"

Best graphics, some of the best graphics, it makes no difference, either way that statement is hugely incorrect. It had good graphics, nothing more. They were not among the best, They were not THE best, they were just good. Gnitpicking over something so silly is just proving that you have a weak argument and you are trying desperately to hurt my credibility by saying I can't comprehend what I read because I left out the word "some" from something I quoted you on. Keep trying, kid, maybe one day you'll learn how to argue.

"Xbox is a poor man's pc, that's why I have both, but PS2 is a pile. Most people who think Halo isn't that great are Ps2 owners, plain and simple."

And most people who love Halo are Xbox owners, what's you're point? People who love Halo always say it because they know it's the only redeaming value of their shitty, unnecessary system. At least PS2 has some exclusive games that are worth playing.

Oh, by the way, I'm still waiting for this proof of your claim that "halo 2 is already the best selling game".

KidRock
Halo 2 doesnt show anything special to me..it doesnt seem to bring all that much to the table. HL2 is going to have a great story with the best physics in a game to date(or so I am told). Doom3 and Far Crys graphics (IMO) blow away the graphics I saw in the halo 2 movies. I also agree with what BF said about PS2 having more exclusive games (GTA, MGS)

EDIT: BackFire I think where he said "Halo 2 sells more copies" or something like that...he is reffering to an article I read where HALO 2 has the most pre-orders? or something or that sort. which is total bullshit becuase I didnt pre-order HL2 and I am going to be buying that and not halo.

BackFire
I figured as much. Pre-orders are for suckers. I never pre order anything.

Arachnoidfreak
I love Halo, and will probably love Halo 2, and yes I do own an Xbox, and yea I will say that it's awwwweeeesome, but I'm NOT about to say that it's the best FPS ever. In fact, I find myself going back to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark every few weeks, because Halo has very limited replay value...just my opinion of course.

cal31
Goldeneye is classic.

cal31
"I don't have to tell you, you're proving me right with every post you make. By saying Halo has "great A.I." you're just proving to me that you havne't played any FPS games that actually DO have great A.I. As someone stated above, the A.I. is nothing special. The monsters strafe, wow, that's amazing. If you think A.I like that is something special then that just suggests to me that the only FPS games you've played are the likes of Doom or Quake. Not games that actually do have great A.I. You say you've played plenty of FPS games, I don't believe you. Because from my experience the people who love Halo so much HAVE NOT played very many FPS games. Halo is usually the only solid FPS game they've ever played. People who have played alot of FPS games recognize Halo as a fun game, but not the great, revolutionary masterpiece that it is falsely recognize as by so many inexperienced people."

Ok, so if Halo's AI isn't revolutionary and isn't great, what game has great AI and why is it so much better? Up until then Half Life was probably the only other game that had AI like it where enemies thought on their own sometimes, or as a group other times. As I stated, one of the things that made the AI so great was that it was not the same everytime you played through it, the AI reacted differently everytime, so that after you play through a level, you can't go back and beat it in half the time because you know how they will react and where they will be. Let's see I've played Goldeneye, all the Unreal tournaments, Half-Life, all the Doom's, all the Duke Nukems, all the Quakes, all the Rainbow six games, Ghost Recon, Call of Duty, all the Medal of Honor games, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Red Faction II, Unreal II, all the James Bond games, Soldier of Fortune II, Red Mercury, Counter Strike, Chronicles of Riddick, Time Splitters 2, so if that means I am inexperienced, than well I am.

The age group wasn't just 17-25, try 6- 40, it appealed to everyone, that's why it's the bestselling xbox game and it's rated "M" . Any kid who has an xbox 6-13 yrs. old, guess what their favorite game is, Halo. I'm not saying that proves it's good, lol, otherwise that'd mean Power Rangers should sweep the emmys every time, but it just shows how large of an age group loves the game. How many 7 yr old's you know that has Farcry or Half-Life as their favorite game? Hardly any.

LeAtHerRFace
Thank you scarface

cal31
double post..

LeAtHerRFace
well... the more sophisticated lil children ofcourse roll eyes (sarcastic). the others are too young to learn about comp games. they usually are stuck with the home entertainment systems in the beggining(s.a nintendo, ps2, xbox.) after they evolve, so does their sense of more sophistication in a game gets... they have no need to play a game, such as halo evil face

the storyline is amazing, very inspirational, and i think the marketing of the game is done well. The trailer for the second halo is amazing, it just leaves the viewer in awe.

SaTsuJiN
Indeed... but for some reason I wanna get the metal limited edition box set with the behind the scenes dvd. If I cant get it without preordering then Im not gonna bother.

Thats true, I used to sit there and play on console only (with my friend chanting 'buy a pc' in my ear) until I went over his house and saw the beautiful potential in gaming that was half life.. ::gets awe stricken::

norbertice
Halo may not be the best game available anymore but it still tops many best-selling lists and is the only game i know that remained full price for over a year. It was the first game that got people truly interested in the xbox and its potential and it will still give original fans of the game a warm fuzzy feeling inside when they look back on it. It's nice to be able to feel nostalgic about things at my age and i still think some of the best games created were on platforms like the snes and genesis. If you don't play games when they first come out then they look quite dated - i really hate goldeneye but that's because i didn't play it until a couple of years after it came out.

SaTsuJiN
wow goldeneye.. so many hours of killing friends on the couch... *gets teary eyed*

Linkalicious
the store i buy video games from gives you 10 free rentals for every game that you pre-order. They are only 1 day rentals, but that's always cool. And they can be credited to your late fees. big grin

The only time I pre-ordered a game was Brute Force.

I went to go buy it at the store, they said they were expecting it within the hour, so i asked "if i pay for it now, does that count as a pre-order?"

He said "yes" So i paid for it, 20 minutes later the store called and said the shipment arrived. it was sweet! smile

ScarFace Clone
lol

ScarFace Clone
I am going to pre-order GTA-SA and MGS-SE but other wise i havented pre ordered a game yet.

WindDancer
Yeah, I remenber when I pre-order Ninja Gaiden. The game was sold out on the release day. Fortunally I reserve my copy. Guess that if I don't pre-order I missed out, or will have to wait a couple of days for new copies to arrive, or drive around looking for the game......*bleeeep* that! I rather reserve a copy instead of shopping around. I reserve Halo 2 and hope to play it soon.

Linkalicious
is there ACTUALLY a special edition or Limited Edition Halo 2?

I saw the little adds at the top of the page (here on KMC) but i'm really skeptical as to how they could have a different edition before the first is even fully completed.

It's a game I'll probably pre-order. but only a couple of days or weeks before release.

Actually....anyone have a release date on that game? I heard November 9th was the release of some game....just not sure if it was Halo 2 or not.

cal31
yes there is going to be a collector's edition,

"Halo 2: Limited Collector's Edition

In celebration of the long-awaited release of the sequel to the premier Xbox shooter, Microsoft has commissioned this special edition version of Halo 2, encased in a collector's metal box and including the entire game plus a bonus DVD featuring: The Making of Halo 2 (with a behind-the-scenes look at Bungie Studios); featurettes on game design, music, animation and more; outtakes of cinematics and character goofs; art galleries of concept art and in-game imagery; commentary from the development team; and more."

From Ign.com, it's released on the same day as the regular game, either November 8th or 9th, I've seen both dates announced as the date.

Linkalicious
where do you get one of these collector's edition Halo 2 games at.....sounds like Link will be pre-ordering for good old shits and giggles.

cal31
try gamestop, they had the collectors metal case on display.

LeAtHerRFace
I agree with you only on the marketing

LeAtHerRFace
Here Here smile

Samas-adian
Cal31 said:

"Here you go straight from Gamespy.com:
"Halo also contains some of the best enemy AI ever seen in a videogame, and Bungie would do well to package it up and license it out to other developers. Between the Xbox and PC, I've now played Halo about five times, and rarely do battles play out the same way twice. Sometimes enemies split up, sometimes they stick together. Sometimes they hang back, sometimes they rush. If you try to snipe them, they'll duck for cover. If you try to run them over, they'll jump out of the way. The one constant is that on anything but the lowest difficulty setting, you never feel like you're fighting brainless bots (well, at least not until the Flood, another race of enemies, arrives). Playing through Halo is an engaging mix of straight-ahead action and tactical combat that I'm not sure exists in any other game to date."

Good use of quoting. But, if you check out this link http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25overrated/index17.shtml

you would find that Gamespy after a couple of years of the game being out, thought it was overated. The game was great when it came out but now, its sucks ass. I am literally dreading trying to finish this game. Unreal 2 is better than this. And thats not even a great game.

cal31
as I said before, the review is from last year, so it isn't that outdated, and there is no way in hell unreal 2 is better than Halo. I can see how people say farcry or half life are much better than halo, but no way does unreal 2 beat it in anyway. That game was a horrible let down for the unreal series.

LeAtHerRFace
I agree with Samas.

RaventheOnly
blink that was the biggest load of crap i have ever heard..... unreal 2 looked like counter strike graphic wise ...

SaTsuJiN
halo is not 'that' bad.. lets get a bit of a grip here... as I have said before, asking a question 'why do people like halo' is like asking why some people like anchovies on thier pizza... some will vomit, some will drool and some will take a neutral standpoint or berate others for thier like/dislike of the subject matter.. so can someone plz answer this freakin question cuz this topic is gettin lamez0rz >_>

Samas-adian
Cal31, you used Gamespy as your reference to saying Halo is a great game and NOT overrated. But Gamespy later on, said it was the 10th overrated game in the history of games.

Yes Unreal 2 sucked, but Halo nowadays sucks too. Play the level the The Library lately? Or how bout meeting the Flood for the first time. Wow great gameplay. Backtracking through the same area you were before which looks like any other area in the game fighting ****ing balloons.

Unreal 2 has much better graphics than CS. Thats the biggest load of crap i ever heard also.

ScarFace Clone
Yes i also herd that^^

RaventheOnly
The flood were probably the best animated characters i have ever seen and the AI makes them move just like a zomie horde should .... and the last level where you use the warthog to escape rocks big grin

cal31
What was number one on the list?

Samas-adian
The flood are horrible. Yes, the great AI allows them walk towards you and allows you to create a chokepoint, so you shoot them. Over and and over and over and over. SHould of stuck with the orginal enemies and not created this crap.

Check the link, good article.
It was Black and White

RaventheOnly
... i would have got angry and annoyed fighting the same aliens over and over ;\ the flood are interesting epecially the explosive ones and the super human abilities they posses big grin

Samas-adian
maybe, but the flood is a bad excuse for an enemy to mix things up.

Robo-Chocobo
why do people like halo so much hm.....

I would say its the engaging mix of story, gameplay, and neat graphics that liven it up.

From an outside the game standpoint, the story is the best thing since final fantasy. especially if you read the books and have seen the halo 2 E3 demo.

in-game, its the outstanding gameplay. There is nothing like the 3rd level beach head storm on legendary to get the blood pumped. Nothing is more gratifying than mowing down a squad of grunts with the assault rifle, or plasma sticking an elite. I never had a more frantic shooting spree than when i was being chaed down by the gold elite with the plasma sword on the 4th level.

there a problems, to boot. the single player mode is too short, even on legendary. after you beat the library and the maw on legendary, you ask...what now?

Halo's multi player is even better than the golden eye tournaments we used to have at my house. first they actually make a awsome sniper weapon. they give us huge battlefields filled with 16 peeps...I still have fun on multiplayer even when i get wasted by a cheap sniper shot.

what game has ever made grenades and important weapon in FPS? golden eye didnt.

I suppose Halo's most enduring quality is it's gameplay.

when people ask why do people like golden eye so much, its like asking why people liked golden eye so much, when there was quake 2 and half life on the comp. its simple. they just do.
also...is overated a bad thing? a good game called over rated still is a good game...

Samas-adian
Gameplay is great, no doubt about it. But its get very repetitive. The library is the worst level in the face of videogames. Its horrible. If they made the indoor levels look interesting and mixed the action up. Then Halo would be a great game.

Goldeneye never got repetitive. The action always mixed it up. You never had a level like the Library. Halo also wouldnt be around if Goldeneye was never good.

Linkalicious
This is my favorite post ever.

What exactly is gamespy trying to prove with this aritcle?

Soooo....Their major complaints are

* a FPS shooter on a gamepad
* Split Screen Multiplayer
* Repetitve levels

It's a console game not a PC game. How exactly are you supposed to play a FPS without the provided gamepad?

Not a powerful arguement against Halo.

How else are you supposed to do a multiplayer game? If you can't split the screen, then what options are left to you? Bringing 4 xboxes over to play 4 play Halo...sounds like quite a waste. Besides, Unreal splits their screens for multiplayer too.

Another weak arguement against Halo.

Repetitive Level...well, i have to agree there. The control room levels are fun the first time through but completely and utterly repetitive the 2nd time through.

Halo still is a great game, and to say it's overrated is foolishness. If it gets too highly rated by MOST of the gaming magazine companies...who's fault is that? In fact...who's to say the game is too highly rated (based on a number scale)

Halo got where it is today, by being the best FPS on ANY console system. This was when it originally came out. Quit putting it up against video games that are 2 years younger than it. That's like comparing Super Mario Brothers 3 to Super Mario 64

Robo-Chocobo
um...dont compare super mario 3 to super mario 64...
I think it's more like comparing doom to doom 3.
or golden eye to perfect dark.
or mario kart to double dash.
or like marathon to halo.

SaTsuJiN
they're opinions.. so noone is actually correct or incorrect. All opinions are credible

Robo-Chocobo
good point.

hm..is over rated a bad thing?

ScarFace Clone
Well i think people are trying to compare apples and ornges.

Samas-adian
Halo still sucks as a PC game.

I was using the article to rebut Cal31's post.
The reason people think Halo is overrated is because reviewers gave it near-perfect/perfect scores. I think to get a perfect score it needs to be a perfect game and Halo is not a perfect game. Thus overrated.

cal31
But it didn't get a perfect score, it got docked because the level designs were repetative, which is definetely true, but it doesn't keep it from being a great game.

Samas-adian
Did you read the article?

Because one of the editors mentions that some publications were giving near perfect to perfect scores. Check Gamerankings.com and see how many gave it 100% scores.

Level design is probably the most critical element for a first person shooter. Half life had amazing level design and never got boring. Halo has some of the worst level design and gets boring after awhile. Its fun for the first four rooms you clear, but after the 20th room, it gets really tedious.

Linkalicious
i wouldn't say worst level design...not at all. Yes the indoor labrynth's are bad, but all of the outdoor levels are great. Even the outdoor parts of the highly repetitive Assault on the Control Room level.

You're so amazingly over critical of the game it's mind boggling. The game was rated that high at the time....now 2 years later people are ripping it apart as if it had come out a month ago...

and how does Halo suck on PC? Do you even have it on PC to make that sort of claim?

I run Halo on my PC and it runs much much better than on Xbox. The levels are more visually pleasing because you have a much higher resolution on your pc than on your TV. and then you figure in the mouse/keyboard instead of gamepad....and Halo on PC is wayyyy better than on console.

Especially with all the new weapons and vehicles in mulitplayer mode.

JKozzy
yes

Yuna33
i heard it was good but never played it.
i have yat to understand why its so good.

Samas-adian
I can be critical to a game that people have touted as the best first person shooter available.
I have never mentioned that the game sucks because of its graphics or its tech aspects. My main gripe is that its highly repetitive and boring.

Wow, i dont care if it has higher resolution on the PC, or its better graphics. I go for gameplay over graphics. Graphics make it look nice and rewarding, but when thier is no gameplay to back it up, then screw graphics. And the graphics are shit anyways.

pr1983
i agree completely

but online is shit

Linkalicious
oh so now you're picking on the game play?

Ok, now you can go outside and wait until the people with intelligence are done talking. You can join your brain outside on the bench. wink

forumcrew
its not highly repetitive.. its one of few games i dont mind playing the single player campaign on... and while it may look a little better on pc.. i still find it more enjoyable on xbox

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>