College

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neo_Version 7
Anyway, I got about two years till I decide to go to college.

I was wondering if college is all it's cut out to be.

This might sound stupid, but can you relly do whatever?

Neo_Version 7
By the way, I want to take up Advertising as my major.

Fire
What do you mean with can you really do whatever?

Silver Stardust
Well, if you live on campus, pretty much you can do what you want, I guess...a lot of my friends have left for college in the past week and are telling me stories of all the parties that are being thrown and general insanity that goes on (I, sadly, am stuck going to a local college so I don't get to go anywhere...I'm getting the hell ouf of here ASAP though!)

BUT -- partying and be able to run wild isn't everything, you also have to keep up with your school work and stuff. I don't know about other places, but in the US you can get kicked out if your grades drop too low. Me, I've been waiting to get to college all through high school. I start in a month, though, so I'll tell you how it goes then yes

(Advertising? That's cool...I'm going into Graphic Design big grin)

Fire
nope you can't get kicked out if your grades drop too low (atleast no directly) however, the governement pays a serious amount of money for each student that is enrolled at college and if you fail a year two times, the government will not pay that amount of money again, meaning you have to cough it up and that's a reason to try and get every year in two times.

Silver Stardust
Wow...here if your grade drops too low for too long a time, you can get kicked out. And from what I've heard it's pretty hard to get back in if you're dropped due to your grades.

Of course, in the US the gov't doesn't spend squat on education...

Fire
lol

maybe because you guys get more grades then us, we only take exams 2 times a year, once in january and once in june, if you fail too many courses in either you can retake those exams in august and september dunring summer holiday. If you're grade drop too low here, you just can't pass.

Silver Stardust
We have exams in December and May usually (at college, in high school it's usually January and June)...and I don't know about retaking exams (and let's hope I'll never have to find out), but I know that for the most part you can retake a class that you fail.

And don't even get me started on education funding...I've been spending the last month filling out financial aid forms and crap...

Fire
ooh I don't think I'd qualify for financial aid in belgium, maybe in the US, but then again education is pretty cheap in belgium (and for those who can't afford it it is almost free) education that is open to everyone it is a nice idea.

Silver Stardust
It's damn expensive here! The uni I want to transfer to is about $23,000 a year blink so I've been filling out financial aid and scholarship stuff much of the summer. I got some random $1000 scholarship...which is pretty cool big grin

Fire
damn girl
and that 23.000 is only to get you in or does that include lodging and books and stuf?

Silver Stardust
That includes tuition, room and board, and an approximation as to how much books and other supplies would cost...for me it'd actually be a bit higher since I'm going to study art, and good art supplies don't come cheap.

Fire
okie I'm gonna take a small guess at how much I'd have to pay
10*150 (10 months at 150 euro's a month for my appartment) something like 750 euro's a month for tuition and probably around 250 euro's for my equipment and now the tricky part 26*40 (26 weeks of class so I'm at my appartment 26 weeks 40 euro's a month for food and stuff) comes to 1040 which would make a quick total of: 3540

I'm guessing about 4000 a year it costs for me to go and study.

Silver Stardust
...makes me wish I lived in Europe...this first year I'm going to a local college, and not even going anywhere (I'm living at home still), and it'll still cost me about $5000, and that's just tuition and books.

What are you studying btw?

Fire
I studied Modern History last year, but as of next year it's gonna be Political Science

Silver Stardust
Ooh, political science, cool...I LOVE politics. I'm actually considering taking that as my minor once I transfer to the big uni.

Fire
lol as a minor I'm gonna take foreign politics or European Union dunno yet

Silver Stardust
Heh, mine will be so random...Major in art (concentration on graphic design)...with a minor in political science...can't get any more random than that, I think.

Neo_Version 7
College sounds like hell.

Financially.

Fire
lol well in the US it is in Be it's pretty ok

Tptmanno1
yup!
And I wanna try and go to UCLA.
Band scolarships here i come!

Fire
go for it, that idea of scolarships is unfair a lot of time IMO

Tptmanno1
WEll it doesn't matter in the US cuz you need 'em anyway!

Sarah Malfoy
i wish to study in california can u give me few information about? what should i do to enter in a US college?

Neo_Version 7
Apply for a scholarship is word of mouth.

Fire
true TpT but the idea of giving out scolarships to ppl just because they excell at some sport or other talent while in fact they don't have the mental capacity to do anything at college. and other more ordanairy students who are pretty good at normal courses and would prolly make it in college but don't excell at some sport or such don't get a scolarship, that's just bloody weird.

Neo_Version 7
ain't that about a b*tch.

Fire
huh neo?

ragesRemorse
You can do what ever you want in college. You are now considered an Adult. So like the rest of the world, as long as you dont break the rules or atleast dont get caught. you can do whatever you want. Remeber, these people don't want you there, they only want your money. The only thing that will keep you at college is your own will power. you shouldnt go to college to party, high school should have been your party. You can party at college, but remember this is the shaping of your life's career. what you learn at college can be useless or utilized in a positive way, depending on how much you choose to take away.

Neo_Version 7
I'm not about the partying.

I'm a nerd.

I just wanted the Dummies Guide Foot-Note Version.

Thanks RR.

And Fire, I meant the scholarship thing.

vaya_the_elf
I went to college for a little bit .. but my college riped me off a 1,000 dollars .. so now i dont have any money to go back right now.. but i am saving to go back.. but im going to go to a different college...
I liked college other than the fact that they made me pay them money that was not suppose to be paid..
Not sure what college I will pick next ... but maybe next year I can go back . .. at least thats the plan

Fire
hey I also party at college not too much just a tad here and there.

Silver Stardust
I agree...somewhat. Giving someone a scholarship because they're good at a sport but dumb as a rock is stupid...but a lot of people get scholarships for academics too. The $1000 one I mentioned I got was for being in the top 5% of high school seniors in the state of Illinois big grin

ragesRemorse
yeah there is defaintly nothing wrong with patying at college. I see alot of people though, who party all the time and then wander why they fail and or are asked to leave. Universities are highly over priced man. They rip you off as many chances as they can. Be sure to know the technicalities. I mean sometimes you may get charged for staying at the dorms, but you dont. Little things like this happen alot.

silver_tears
If you are academically gifted and opt to take extra classes, and fill out scholarship applications, and do all the countless other tasks, and if you manage to keep your grades above a certain spot, you may just be lucky enough to get a full scholarship to university yes

Sarah Malfoy
so... to enter in a US <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=college&v=54&src=zon">college</a> i should pay a lot, ok? i should learn the lenguage as better as i can, ok, i'll do... but what should i do? how can i <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=contact&v=54&src=zon">contact</a> them? please tell me!
and sorry embarrasment ... what is scolarship? and why i shouldn't get the party?
but there is any problem about, im a nerd!

Neo_Version 7
join the club

Silver Stardust
People party all the time in college, even I probably will once in a while...a scholarship is basically money you get for some specific reason, like getting good grades, being good at a sport, etc...

Kaleanae
Absolutely right! I know people that have gotten scholarships - full scholarships messed- just because they play a sport and there are many who have good grades and just get a huge kick in the butt and a letter in the mail telling them to apply for loans messed

Kaleanae
I thought that was only a myth or a saying but now that in college and can second that, we have been there for just a week and there has been a party since the first day of school (That's what a classmate told me) messed

V@LL3jOk!D707
You will do great! happy

BackFire
First of all, college is not for everyone, if you don't plan on taking it seriously, then don't jump into it right after high school. If need be, take a break for a year and just work and relax, after 12 years of school, you've deserved it. If you do feel you are up to it, then yes, college is a very good decision, especially in this day and age.

ragesRemorse
Yeah College defaintly isnt for everyone. Many people who go to College end up wasting their money and time because it isnt somthing they want. If you do have goals, and are ambitious twords going to college, dont wait. Do it as soon as you can. there is absolutely no point in waiting to start college after high school, assuming you know what you want to do and are ready for the responsibility. college is just a thirteenth grade.

The work is much harder (maybe not harder,just more of it) , and no one makes you do a damn thing. Even if you dont know what you want to do, but still have the determination to carry on your studies, then dont wait. Spend two years and get your prerequisites. this can give you some time to figure out a major. For most people, ambition is fleeting after high school.

Silver Stardust
Heh, I was talking to my friend on the phone the other day, and she said that the first night she had moved in there were all these huge parties on Greek row and people having keggers...messed

Thanks big grin

Kaleanae
Silver Stardust, you are living on Campus or you commute?

Julie
Neo, what do you mean can you really do whatever? YOu, or your parents for the most part are paying to go to college....you eventually have to pass if you want a good job...so no, you can't just do whatever.....it can be fun but don't drink your head into oblivion or anything:-)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.