Does Marvel trounce DC or not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Maelstrom
I think so.

Viper
Not in my mind. It seems to me that right now DC's tops books are far superior than Marvel's

ska57
I think it's pretty much even.....i guess.....

Tron
Well according to the stats in Wizard X, Marvel is beating out DC. People have more favorite books in Marvel than DC, 57.1% to 42.9%. That can still change throgh the year though.

Mane
isnt Superman the #1 selling book?

but overall Marvel is beating DC.

Into the Void
Yes, Superman was the #1 selling book, Identity Crisis should be the new #1 though. I'm not sure. (Superman is only doing so well because Jim Lee is drawing it. This same jump in sales took place when Jim Lee drew Batman). The new Secret War is Marvel's answer for DC's Identity Crisis.

Overall, Marvel is outselling DC, but DC does hold the top spot, as far as I know.

Mav
DC has much higher quality books, IMO. But Marvel is raking in the cash.

supermanprime
Last time i checked superman and batman are the two most selling comics in the market by far. then comes spiderman, and maybe x-men but i might be wrong but supes & bats are the two highest.

whirlysplat
Both have good and bad books this is a pointless thread for fanboys like Sentry laughing

EvilCap America
They go back and forth in sales.I remember a around 2003 or so DC was beating marvel in sales and they are are at least close usually.DCs quality right now FAR exceeds marvel though and they dont tinkle on their fans with needless overnight personality transplants turning their comics into movie promos.

if you mean in universe vs universe Marvel basically made the concession that they are a little weaker overall than DCs

btw werent the GL comics holding most ofthe top spots lately?

GothamProtector
How old are you cap

True Sinister
the answer to the opening question:no!

shaolin9976
I'd say it's even...both have good and outstanding characters...although marvel have more interesting heroes and villains...i think dc's stories are much better...it's just an opinion.

jrodslam
I think Marvels succsess is because of their ability to market their characters. Think about it DC as 2 of the biigest comic icons ever(Superman and Batman).

Marvel puts out multiple cartoons X-Men(old and 90's, evolution), Iron Man, F.F., hulk, Namor, Spiderman(Amazing friends, 90's, MTV) And revoloutionized the comic book movie industry.

DC has started these genres, but Marvel took them and ran with it. Simply put, people are more familarized with Marvel. Thus giving them the edge in sales. I do agree that DC stories are better. But i also think that their characters are more complex and interesting than Marvel.

All my opinion of course.

EvilCap America
Originally posted by jrodslam
I think Marvels succsess is because of their ability to market their characters. Think about it DC as 2 of the biigest comic icons ever(Superman and Batman).

Marvel puts out multiple cartoons X-Men(old and 90's, evolution), Iron Man, F.F., hulk, Namor, Spiderman(Amazing friends, 90's, MTV) And revoloutionized the comic book movie industry.

DC has started these genres, but Marvel took them and ran with it. Simply put, people are more familarized with Marvel. Thus giving them the edge in sales. I do agree that DC stories are better. But i also think that their characters are more complex and interesting than Marvel.

All my opinion of course.

Yeah being owned by Warners Bros gives them stability that Marvel doesnt have but it also limits their abiltiy to reach a large audience.Its a miracle WB let Batman Begins be good and SOMEBODY in the organization thought giving Hally berry the role of Catwoman and Joel Shucmaker the previous 2 bat-titles were a good idea.

CorderaMitchell
cap the historian.

Laminator_X
DC is willing to put out things like Sandman or the Watchmen. When they pull out all the stops, they pull out all the stops (Crisis on Infinite Earths, for example). However, their mainstay characters are kind of played out. Their month-in month-out stories have a real hard time not being retreads. I'm not saying they don't do it, just that it's more difficult.

This is where Marvel shines. The average marvel character is a bit more fleshed-out than the average DC character. There's more room to maneuver in Tony Stark's life than there is in Bruce Wayne's. Noone really care's if Clark Kent has trouble at work, but Peter Parker's job trouble matters.

DC has such a high perentage of 'demigod' type characters, it's just hard to make things challenging. Honestly, I felt the Kang War was so much better than the Impirex War in no small part because the Kang story was writ smaller, and perhaps hand-in-hand, smarter. On the other side of the coin, Kingdom Come has it all over Earth-X.

CorderaMitchell
Most people's problem from Marvel is that they've shifted everything mainly to spiderman and xmen.

Most people's problem with DC is that the character's aren't as developed.

EvilCap America
Character development depends on the writeras really.Marvel has had some crappy x-comics in recent years with bad writers meanwhile you can take a look at the Rouges in the Flash comics under Geoff Johns gain 100X more depth over recent years but without simply discarding who they are for a re-write

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.