when does a movie become a joke?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tabby999
at what point does a movie become a joke to you guys? when it changes the whole point of the movie to get a new audience, when it releases countless sequals, what do you guys think?

TheFilmProphet
When it doesn't gross anything over $40 million anymore.

SlipknoT
When it gives up all hope of even being good example, the Halloween franchise

BackFire
All remakes, and Vil Diesel films are jokes.

SlipknoT
There are alot of good remakes

The Fly
The Thing
Dawn of the Dead
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ( I know you dont like it)

ragesRemorse
movies become a joke at friday the 13th part 3 and a nightmare on elmstreet part 4. Also pretty much any horror flick that tries to copy these two slasher classics is bound to become a joke.

Cinemaddiction
I think that once a franchise has more than 2 sequel, 3 movies total, it loses a huge percentage of it's credbility. Case in point.

"NOESM" 1 was the only truely frightening movie of the franchise, then they gave Freddy the sarcastic schtick which was funny for 2 movies.

"Friday the 13th" 1, cool as hell. This one being the exception, by 4 it was just getting ridiculous. Stretching such a monotonous plot over 3 movies, much less 10, is just ludicrous.

"Halloween". When you drop your main character for no reason, you know it's time to hang it up. Halloween 3: Season of the Shit never deserved to be released. Now, they resort to casting rappers and going after Michael's sisters 3rd cousins roomates gay boyfriend just to keep the family lineage murder plot in place.

"Hellraiser". My favorite franchise of all time, but when you send your main character into space, you know it's over. Leprechaun, Jason, Pinhead. 1 + 2 are quite possibly 2 of the greatest horror movies ever, 3 gets a free pass, but "Bloodlines", no sir.

"Leprechaun". That should have never happened, even as a novelty.

But, as for recent, singular titles. There are just so many movies that try to "reinvent" the genre, and alls they do is hack up older movies, or "pay homage", and don't even bother being original. I mean, I know dismemberment and gore is nothing new to the genre, but I would rather see hermaphroditic clowns in leather dismembering sheep than watch another group of kids get lost in the backwoods of some abandoned town, screw, drink, do drugs, then get chased by some raving mongoloid with a weapon.

WindDancer
When the film get's over praised and overrated.

Cinemaddiction
That's really subjective, though, unless it's totally obvious, like "Titanic" for example.

WindDancer
Yeah, but Titanic isn't a horror film. I was more talking about Horror flicks.

Cinemaddiction
I think people tend to have that opinion about "28 Days Later". I see some real art in that movie in particular, but so many others say it's overrated, because they don't understand/recognize/appreciate its dual appeal.

Kind of like "Dawn of the Dead". So few Horror movies actually a have message that's reflective of our own society that it goes unnoticed, and people think it's only attraction is zombies, not the smart social commentary. To be honest, and don't persecute me, "Dawn of the Dead" (1978) would not be a great stand alone zombie flick, IMO.

WindDancer
We'd discuss 28 days later many times already in the reviews. And we can only come down to the conclusion that some ppl love it others hate it. To go over it would be like spining a wheel that is going nowhere.

Now, I won't be persecuting you (whatever was intended with that comment) about Dawn of the Dead. But DOTD is a sequel of Night of the living dead. In the first film (and also in the latter films: Dawn and Day) the message was clearly establish. Humans cannot cooperate with each other in a major apocalyptic disaster. And in the end only the fortunate ones will survive. Not all the deads in the Dead trilogy are caused by zombies. Some of the victims get kill by other humans. Also notice that in zombies tend to work together in order to kill humans. Why is it that humans can't seen to work together in stopping the zombies? Simple, everyone wants to be boss and no one is willing to followed orders.

That's why I like Romero Zombies movies. Because in each of his films he has kept a sorta of timeline from the first to the third. Humans are in danger NOT because of the zombies, but because of themselves.

Evil Dead
oh the irony........

but yeah, C-dic has hit the nail on the head in this thread......especially his movie sequel run down up there.

Kontraz
you know a movie becomes a joke when kylie monrogue (however you spell her name)'s "Love at First Sight" pops into your head when you see a pred take off his helmet and stare lovingly into the eyes of a black girl in the middle of antarctica...

HockeyHorror
a good example: The Leprechaun series

Stormy Day
When I laugh when im not suppose to no expression

BadKitty
when a movie throws in a giant humanoid duck to save the planet from aliens

it's a even bigger joke when they plan on re-making that with CGI sick

papabeard
I think stormy nailed it..

When I laugh when im not supposed to.

botankus
That's about the only thing Stormy nailed.

My input is, when it stars Paris Hilton.

kmcdude
Jason x is a joke

tabby999
wow, thanks for clearing everything up there, glad you pointed out that, or i wouldn't have known.

kmcdude
No worries

socialrebel101
Originally posted by Stormy Day
When I laugh when im not suppose to no expression

Hit the nail on the head. Also, when all the movie does is try to get a cheap jump out of you instead of really getting to you and creeping you out.

Jason_Krueger
the movie Boogeyman was cool and all till they showed what the boogeyman looked like.....then the movie got gay, I mean he looked like something outta the movie Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy!
Damn waste of 3$

kmcdude
Originally posted by Jason_Krueger
the movie Boogeyman was cool and all till they showed what the boogeyman looked like.....then the movie got gay, I mean he looked like something outta the movie Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy!
Damn waste of 3$

I want to see that,what does everyone else think of that movie? Happy Dance

socialrebel101
i really hated that movie. it didnt explain anything!!

kmcdude
Candyman 2 and 3 are gay aswell

ashtonsNO1fan
when theres been about 1000 sequels made for eg, nightmare on elm street, halloween, friday the 13th, the land before time etc etc etc

beta-wolf_101
I think its the number of sequels after three you've usually lost all good stuff. And one bad squels seems to spawn another.

jinzin
PARIS HILTON!

nuff said....

kmcdude
Originally posted by ashtonsNO1fan
when theres been about 1000 sequels made for eg, nightmare on elm street, halloween, friday the 13th, the land before time etc etc etc

yeah,but I know a lot of people that watch the sequels more than the origanal's so,And a thousand sequel's 4 noes and friday13th,STILL would not be enough Happy Dance

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by tabby999
at what point does a movie become a joke to you guys? when it changes the whole point of the movie to get a new audience, when it releases countless sequals, what do you guys think?

When the murderer uses comic humor while killing a victim. That shit is hilarious. no expression

kmcdude
Originally posted by Freaky Zeeky
When the murderer uses comic humor while killing a victim. That shit is hilarious. no expression

I dont mind freddy's dead confused

BaronOBeefDip
I think it becomes a joke when you push the mute button and add your own dialogue...and it's better than the original dialogue used in the film.

Next Venom_girl
When the audience begins to openly root for the murder to kill all the idiot characters.

When the effects look incredibly cheesy by todays standards (i.e. being chased by a cartoon or that decaying corpse looks suspiciously like the stop-action movement of guacamole).

Like Baron said when it's better when you add your own dialogue, you could write a better script....
or when it appears on Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

romper_stomper
anything horror that is made post 2000 there are only a very few exceptions to this rule and some of those are remakes anyway

BaronOBeefDip
A movie becomes a joke when you're sitting in a full theatre and you scream at the top of your lungs "THE ***** IS IN THE CLOSET!" because the plot is that bad and paper thin. And, you begin laughing even though everyone else in the theatre is staring at you and thinking that you are a total lunatic and/or *******.

Jason_Krueger
When they try to make a HORROR(eerie, scary, make people terrified) movie into a COMEDY(silly, funny, make people laugh).....is it just me or does those to genres don't mix.......I know some people are gonna comment with "Oh Evil Dead, Dead Alive, Return of the Living Dead are all well known horror movies that have comedy" NO when someone looks at a movie preview and see zombies or blood and gore they dont think "Hey common kids a good ol fashioned your gonna laugh my pain away while your eating me alive flick".....I'm sorry but it doesn't work

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.