Belief

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tptmanno1
I had a very very intersting dissusion with a friend of mine, who happens to have his bachalors in philosophy about belief. The disscussion followed the lines of some of the God threads but the way he responded was interesting.
He said something along the lines of.
You cannot say that you don't believe in something because of different facts. Because facts are merly strong beliefs that you have. For example I said we all know 2+2=4 and we can show this by addding somethin solid like apples. But he responded that no, thats just a strong belief, whats stopping the apples from making 2+2=7? nothing, we believe in the different physics laws and such, but thats merley a strong belief, whats stopping it from being changed at any given time. Needless to say it was very difficult to make any points or arguments about God with him.
What are your thoughts?

finti
my thoughts are that 2+2 is 4

Linkalicious
I've taken 3 philosophy classes in my current college years, and every single teacher is the same way.

It's philosophy's job to ask stupid ass questions like that, because he is right...it's not a fact, it is a generally accepted belief.

But to every person on this earth that isn't thinking philosophically, yah...2+2=4

Storm
Philosophical scepticism, that' s my thought: As anything really certain?

Tptmanno1
Well this IS the philoshophy section.......

I'm just trying to say that everything is and uncertanty, befause nothing is stopping it form changeing, just our belief that it wont.

Linkalicious
I think she was posting that link because that was a thread she created in order to point out the fact that from a philosophical view.....the point you are trying to make, is correct.

Tptmanno1
oh me and Storm posted at the same time, my commet was directed to you.

Linkalicious
oh, well, in that case...

As weird as my post sounds....I was trying to agree with the point he was making also...

Tptmanno1
Yea, its kinda hard to disagree with him. Very smart man, Crazy ass climber too.

Phoenix
In the first lesson of my philosophy course, they asked us what 'ths' is ((this being the table)) and we answered "The table". But the teacher said - "But there is no proof of it being a table - it is only a table because we believe it to be so."

Sometimes I think thats true, but other times I think - IT'S A FRIGGING TABLE! stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
yea, But I would have made the argument that I can see and touch the table, the name table is just a lable for the thing that is in front of me, the lable matters not, the shape and feel i know because I have felt it, and seen it and such.

He asked me the same thing except with the president

Fiery Eyes
Faith, you have faith if God, so someone trying to prove you wrong and that its an uncertainty, shldn't stop you from believing.

Tptmanno1
I was trying to keep this free of the God debate.

Faith can be wrong, you have faith in someone and somethign and it doesn't happen. Common.

Fiery Eyes
UMMM isn't that what you are saying about 2+2=4, that it could be wrng? it could be changed? and hey YOU brought up God right off that bat in your very 1st post. big grin

Tptmanno1
I didn't say that God could change it, I'm saying that there's no way it couldn't happen, Think philosophy.

Fire
Philosophical Sceptism has nothing to do with God, he doesn't belong in there there is no need to drag him in, not every thing has to be about God.

TpT as you know I am a very heavy believer of philosophical sceptism but as Ush said before it gets very dull and boring after a while

Fiery Eyes
Was God brought into the very 1st thread? LOL

BackFire
You're friend is wrong and over analyzing things (something I know alot of phylosophy majors do, as if it makes them seem intelegent in some way).

2+2 does in fact equal 4. By our number system, this is indeed fact. For proof of this, take two apples, and then put two more apples with them. You now have four apples. You do not have seven apples. No matter what you believe, or where in the universe you do this, if you take 2+2, there will always be the same amount of apples.

Fire
TpT was just sharing his discussion, he afterwards clearly stated he wants this discussion to be free of the god debate.

Fiery Eyes
Where in the 1st post does it state that, cuz i don't see it?

Fire
it doesn't says so in the 1st post it says so in: "I was trying to keep this free of the God debate."

Fiery Eyes
smile Ok, but thats now what you said.

Fire
not following that last part but okie

Fiery Eyes
Becuz you were saying TP was trying to keep it from debate, then you turned it around and said YOU were trying to keep it out of a God debate, when in fact you did say TP said it, which HE never did in the 1st post.

Storm
This is not a you did-you didn' t game.

BackFire
It is now.

Storm
TpT stated he was trying to keep this free of the God debate. It doesn' t matter whether he said so in his first post or not. Period.

Fiery Eyes
lol srry didn't mean to make it like that.

finti
still believ 2+2= 4 still belive the bible to be fictional myths.
still belive those found of philosophical sceptism can pay 5 one dollar bills for a 2 dollar burger.

Tptmanno1
bUt Does Believing it mean its true? And you only base belief on past experience, whose to say that it will be like that in the future? You assume that, but there's nothing stopping it.

Linkalicious
Cyclops tried to pull this Philosophical crap on me yesterday...

He was like "Proove I exsist"

and aside from the numerous PMs, the didigtal photos he's posted, and the girlfriend of his that talks to me reguarly...he just refused to believe that THAT was sufficient enough proof. He just kept saying "proove I exsist"

It's not EXACTLY the same as the 2+2=4 analogy, but it does have similarities.

Storm
All philosophical scepticism, very tiresome indeed.

Fire
yea it is, but it is more "practical" when talking in the future tense.

finti
no it doesnt, I bet Britney Spears BELIEVES she is the best musical artist ever aint so though

ok punch him in the nose till he starts to bleed ask him if it hurts, if he says yes you go theres your proof

Tptmanno1
Well you are talking to him, so somethign that expressis his opinions must exist in some way shape or form

WhiteEagle
Go to his house and hit him in the face. big grin Sometimes a complex question requires a simple answer. wink

shaber
The Benefactor is sending the Guardians after you raver

Phoenix
I think what he meant was that it is only four because we have decided ((believe)) that this number is four. If we believed it to be seven, it would be seven. (('1984' kinda deal - Winston believes 2+2 is 5, therefore 2+2 IS 5, at least for him))

Phoenix
It is true for her - what other truth is there but your own truth?

finti
it aint even true for her one has to be realistic too

finti
bible riddle

How long did Cain hate his brother?

As long as he was Abel!

Tptmanno1
roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
ok another one

What is the best way to get to Paradise?

Turn right and go straight

Tptmanno1
hahah!
That ones good!

Fire
Nice one Phoe smile

Phoenix
Thanks! big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.