Best Comic Artist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SUPERMANDAMAN
Who do you feel is the best comic book artist i would have to say Alex Ross I dont think it gets any better than that

Punkyhermy
JIM LEE AND ALEX ROSS!!!!!!!

Victor Von Doom
Hmm.

Dave Gibbons for me.

ragesRemorse
Todd mcfarlene/Chris moeller

Arachnoidfreak
Jim Lee
Michael Turner
Talent Caldwell
Marc Silvestri
Alex Horley
Greg Horn
Alex Ross
Greg Capullo
J. Scott Campbell
Todd McFarlane
Joe Quesada
Ed McGuiness
John Byrne(he wasnt the best artist, but his work with Claremont on X-Men deserves acknowledgment)

in no particular order

Paola
Adam & Andy Kubert

Shadow_King
joos whedon and john cassaday.

Arachnoidfreak
Oh man, I can't believe I forgot Adam and Andy...Nice Paola.

Victor Von Doom
No one else for Dave Gibbons?

Paola
thanx mr. arachnoid yes

ScarletSpider
For ones I like that haven't been mentioned yet...

Jae Lee - Inhumans volume 2, the maxi-series is a great showcase for his work, awesome stuff.
Joe Bennett - The Crew, and started on Captain America and the Falcon on issue 5. He does a gorgeous Scarlet Witch
Salvadore Laroca - Current X-Men duty.
Joe Maduiera - Uncanny X-Men artist around the Onslaught era, his own series Battle Chasers and other misc stuff.
Pat Quinn - artist on latest Captain Marvel series, interesting style
C.P. Smith - New Invaders, some of it looks weird, which is mostly due to the weird colors they use, but he has a definate and interesting style, IMO
Pat Lee - Dreamwave artist, will be doing the upcoming FF and X-Men series
Clayton Henry - current Alpha Flight series, a small cartoonish quality (he is not the artist to the issue 7 cover, which his HELLA cartoony) but he is consistent as hell. Never any variance and it's a nice style.

I like David Finch, but he needs to work on his FACES. Everyone looks exactly the same, with the same dour, curiously pensive expression.

Jae Lee example....

Paola
eek! Joe Mad!! clapping

Arachnoidfreak
I was going to put David Finch on the list, but didn't because of said reason.

ScarletSpider
Of course! He rocks. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I haven't seen his name attached to anything in awhile, I wish he'd get busy again, he does great stuff.

SUPERMANDAMAN
I'm starting to like Micheal Turner alot now he has done a good job on Batman Superman and also on Soul fire but noone can compare to Alex Ross i mean the man hand paints his comics and not to mention the characters look like real people http://alexrossart.com/archives.html

tkitna
I always liked Dale Keowns work.

Mav
Neal Adams. Dave Gibbons is good too.

Magee
Geroge Perez. I wouldnt say he is the best (one of the best) comic artist out there but hes deffinatley my fave. When u see his work, u know who it is yes
I think Jim Lee is probably one of the best artists around just now. He got me collecting Batman comics when i didnt even like Batman lol. I also love Alex Ross, man hes good.

ScarletSpider
Jack King Kirby. Although judged by today's standards, he seems to pale in comparison, he got the ball rolling for good, quality and consistent art in comics.

George Perez is okay, something about his to me is just kind of bleh. It seems a little bland, and it almost makes me dizzy looking at it sometimes. I couldn't read the JLA/Avengers crossover simply because he drew it and I couldn't look at his art long enough to get through it. That's why I didn't read a good majority of the Avengers reboot after Hereos Return. Busiek made great stories, and I understand Perez is talented, but I couldn't stand to look at the art. So I didn't pick the title up until much later when Geoff Johns and another artist took over.

Wynndar
Joe Maduiera is pretty incredible...i would buy anything he does....he can really enhance a comic

Mr Zero
And I can't believe you both mentioned THEM and not the man who spawned them and taught them how to draw. The legend that is Joe Kubert. Shame on you both.

Mr Zero
Ok - class is in session, let me put you straight on a few things you might not want to hear.

What do -

Jae Lee
Alex Ross and
Todd McFarlane

All have in common? Answer: They are all terrible comic artists. They can draw for sure - they have style out the wazzoo - but as comic artists they fail because they don't have a clue about sequential art.

Comic art isn't all about how cool you can make the characters look - the panels have to flow from one to the next, they eye has to be guided across the page and from panel to panel - they art has to tell the story in terms of pacing and flow much the way a cinematographer does in a movie. Lee, Ross and Mcfarlane are great at individual still pictures but have zero talent for comics art.

As mentioned here in this thread - Neal Adams, Dave Gibbons, George Perez, John Cassaday, Jack (King) Kirby these guys know the art. Hell i dont even LIKE Perez but I know that he has the craft down - your eye goes where he tells it. Thats what makes a great comics artist.

& My 2cents : Top of the whole heap without any doubt - Will Eisner.

If you don't know who Eisner is - all these artists you mention - the highest honor that they can get, the comic book artists equivalent of an Oscar - is called "The Eisner award". Do the math.

ScarletSpider
Todd McFarlane...I just don't like his style at all. Something about it just puts me off, so I won't complain with you about him being terrible.

Alex Ross' work can sometimes become too grandiose and the pacing of the story, image wise, suffers. Sometimes this happens with Jae Lee as well. I wasn't as impressed with his work on Sentry or Cap as his work on Inhumans. On that assignment in particular, he was fantastic. IMO.

Arachnoidfreak
I thought about mentioning him, but didn't for the same reason I didn't mention Kirby or Ditko. He SHOULD be a name that pops into everyone's head instantly, someone who doesn't NEED mentioning. He has his own art school for crap sake, where Adam and Andy both teach.

Punkyhermy
What are u talking about??Jim Lee and Alex Ross are the best!!Have u seen the Jim Lee Batman in HUSH? oR ANY Superman or Batman by Alex Ross??These two are wow!!!
And I don't see anything wrong with the panels either... confused

Mane
um HELLO! he said Jae Lee! not Jim Lee, Jae Lee.

Mr Zero
Jim Lee is a good example of stylish art clear storytelling - its Jae Lee I'm Dissing.

And you know I love Alex Ross - the guy can paint - Marvels & Kingdom Come induce goosebumps they are so fine... but its not just about style - im talking about the mechanics of how a page looks and how easy it it to follow, and Alex Ross falls short there....

Punkyhermy
embarrasment ooopps!My bad!

Mane
thats ok! we are all wrong sometimes. except me.

Mr Zero
You are wrong ALL the time?

Mane
OK.

Shadow_King
Glenn Farby. liked his work on the five part series Thor Vikings

ska57
Bob Layton is good

thekingofmikes
I agree on alex ross not being very good at sequential art. I am a little sad no one mentioned eric larsen... You can debate that his anatomy is not correct, but his story telling is great. Some of my favorite spidey comics are by him...

Maximus69
No, she was right, Jim Lee sucks and is overrated.

Try Steve Butler or Steve Rude.

Mane
try getting an avatar, newb.

Arachnoidfreak
Jim Lee sucks!? You pulled that out of your ass. Jim Lee's attention to detail alone makes him great, not to mention facial expressions and body language. His versatility is great also, he draws in so many different ways. Comic book pencils aren't his only work.

Maximus69
Why? does that make my point any less than the truth it is?

Maximus69
You OBVIOUSLY didn't catch his work back in the early 90's
(Try an old issue of Alpha Flight or West Coast Avengers)

And his work is ok, but not what everyone hypes it up to be.

Arachnoidfreak
Yes I did. I have the first few issues of the 1991 volume of the X-men, a title that Marvel put out SOLEY to showcase Jim Lee's art talents. Who else gets that kind of treatment? Of course his work is better now, he's been doing it for a long time. NO artist is their best when they debut. It's been 13 years since 1991, and you think that by pulling up some old ass comics you can prove Jim Lee sucks NOW? Oh yea, that'll work.

Mane
no but it makes you look more like the "Junior Member" that you are.

thekingofmikes
Jim Lee rocks...

Mane
see, after realizing how many of my comics that i love the art in were done by Mark Bagley, id take him over anyone except McFarlane.

Beacon of Grace
Alex Ross!

emraldguardian
Alex Ross, noone can compare to his deatail and how realistic his comics are and not to mention he hand paints them so thats pretty cool.

fredstawill
John Cassady
Jim Lee
Jea Lee (with isanhove)
Finch
Clayton Crain
STEVE MCNIVEN!!
Alex Ross
Bryan Hitch
Michael Turner
Me hahahahahaha lol
the guy on ult galactus v.1

oh and finally the best artist in the comic industry
MARKO DJURDJEVIC (and the annihilation cover guy(soz about names, if i go upstairs my brother will go on my laptop)) shame he only dose covers thou

fredstawill
oh yeah they showcased his work as all the artists up to that point were all samey unlike today you get Romitas to Hitch's, Romita Jr is a wierd artist as his poses are crap but in fights they flow for some reason i always wonder why hes employed then i get swept away in his talent of drawing carnage and smoth transistions in huge fight scenes (wolverine:enemy of the state 1&2)

CaptainStoic
Ariel Olivetti is becoming my favorite all time artist.

Here's a sample

CaptainStoic
And one more This is the best Captain America that I have ever seen.

ragesRemorse
Really...,that is the best drawing of Captain America that you have seen? Those two pictures are some of the most generic drawings i have ever seen. Although, i'm just not a fan of that kind of style.

JIM LEE

Scythe
Jim Lee

jcvaldez
I am!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.