Sad & Depressing Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

My name is Neo9
schindler's list; it is very very sad and a great film to watch although its depressing.

ChinaNiki
most movies about the holocaust are sad cuz this stuff still happens and we haven't learned from it

BackFire349
requiem for a dream, sweet hereafter, one flew over the cuckoos nest, leaving las vegas, irreversible, elephant man, happiness, braveheart, blow, glory, paths of glory.

DVDBase
hey, they told me "A Walk To Remember" is a very sad movie, when u see it you will cry. I saw it but I didnt cry, it was sad but not sooo sad... Does anyone know a really sad movie that makes you cry, that really touches you...

Kes
Moving to Movie discussion
Moving--moved

Myth
I am Sam

justinday15
The Passion of the Christ...sadest movie ever.

Gregory
If you don't insist on live action movies, then you might like a truely depressing animated movie called Grave of the Fireflies

Myth
The Passion was great but I didn't even get the slightest amount of wetness to my eyes during it. Mystic River was also pretty sad and the end of Last Samurai got to a lot of people.

Sigillum_Diaboli
how did last samurai get to anyone ?
Powder is the only movie of all time that got to me ..

BackFire
Requiem for a Dream

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Elephant Man

Paths of Glory

Last House on the Left

Irreversible

I Stand Alone

Kids

Happiness

Glory

America History X

American Beauty

One Hours Photo

Rain Man

Sweet Hereafter

minnie
old yeller was sad sad

Myth
It didn't get to me but I know lots of people (male and female) that teared up during Tom Cruise's speach to the emperor at the end.

Kes
Yeh that speech brought me to tears...it was so lame I laughed my ass off!

Wolfie
No movie has ever brought out the waterworks for me but Donnie Darko was pretty sad.

WaDe_N_sPaRrOw
i was crying during glory and i cried wen danny died in pearl harbor... nd i was hysterical during the passion i also cried really hard during the end of edward scissorhands... that was soo sadd... POOR EDWARD isolated in the castle forever!!!!!!!
crybaby

cgtuna21
The Passion of The Christ

Braveheart

Fox & Hound

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Land Before Time (the 1st 1)

eleveninches
Braveheart was sad at parts

eleveninches
Schinlers list.

The real reason why this movie was sadder than any others is that it actually did happen
sad

SlipknoT
cast away
forrest gump

Sigillum_Diaboli
ok i jus seen passion and omg i wasnt really crying ... more than i was angry ... see . i wasnt crying of sadness . i was crying of anger .. so um yeah

Felix L
Just saw Cold Mountain today, and that was very sad. I also saw Passion, and that was sad in it's presentation of this well known story. The thing that touched me most about The Passion was the many people crying out loud in the audience. sad

Sigillum_Diaboli
laughing out loud
thats what stopped my crying .. cause it made me laugh for some reason !

Shmoo
THe Lion King when Mufasa(sp) dies... I wouldn't watch that movie for a long time after i seen that!

eleveninches
I watched that film for the first time when it came out on video in the uk a few months ago, and it has been one of my fave movies ever since. i watched it almost every night for a week.

beaujay1
i thought castaway was kinda sad like when he says to his old girlfriend "i never should have gotten on that plane" cos he knew he lost her forever, the music in end really captures the feeling, titanic, (mainly cos jack seemed so loving) pearl harbor was kinda......forrest gump made me sniffle too

bader40
Anyone see the end of She's having a baby starring Kevin bacon? The bit where his wife was giving birth ( with Kate bush singing This womens work) was a very emotional moment.

cgtuna21
simon birch was sad also

Diz
The sadest movie ever is Ned Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I havent cried so much at a film before the acting from Heath Ledger
and Orlando Bloom was exellent!!!!!!

Also when pippin sings in Return of The King i ball my eyes out.

LOTR FREAK rocks, best movies in the world!!!$$$%%%^&*****

msj_shanks
Return of the king made me cry.
and ned kelly is a great movie and that is very sad

eleveninches
THe part in Gladiator when he arrives home to find his wife and kid hung and burned.

Evy_O
-The Hours
-Armaggedon (when Bruce Willis talked with Liv Tyler before he died)
-A walk to remember cry
-I am Sam cry
And one with Suzan Sarandon and Julia Roberts, Suzan has cancer and Julia is the new wife of Suzan's ex husbend. I can't remember the English title erm Really sad too cry

yerssot
that's Stephmom, if I'm not mistaken

Storm
The Lion King: the death of Mufasa cry

botankus
Hair.
I was afraid for my own life because I was really close to committing suicide after being forced to sit through that god-awful bulls***.

Evy_O
Exactly, that's the one big grin Very sad sad

xmen fan
The Passion of The Christ
X2
Dragon Heart
E.T.
DragonFly
the haunted mansion,in a different way,(pee your pants way)

WindDancer
There are so many sad movies. If I had to pick one it would be Ponette (1996).

dean7879
BRAVEHEART- Y'know it truly amazes me that so many people can find this contrived, Mel Gibson vehicle so good and engrossing! I mean, this three hour monument to Hollywood celebrity ego has been voted as one of the top 100 greatest films ever made on the Internet Movie Database (http://www.imdb.com/)! That's scary, when it's nothing more that a 'Lethal Weapon' film in a tartan kilt!

Now, Gibson being Gibson, isn't the sort of guy that ever lets anything like historical accuracy get in his way during a over hyped pet project. This film, that strongly implies that it's realistic because there was a real life William Wallace, scales the heights of lunacy in its attempt to pander to the modern political correctness of modern American audiences. Especially with the inclusion of an Irish freedom fighter on the side if the Scots to give it a nice contemporary feel to people who don't know anything about Northern Ireland.

Yet, Gibson single-handedly hijacks a 700 year old Anglo-Scottish conflict and gives us a ridiculously, inaccurate, distorted and downright fictional telling of the real life freedom fighter. Not only do we have barmy story plots, like Wallace's fictional affair with Princess Isobelle, but Gibson vainly puts himself into the role of Wallace. A role that, quite frankly, he was two decades too old to play. Not that his female co-star was played by an older actress. No, he pairs himself with a young, trim Scottish actress!

Add to this the over the top characterization and stereotypes, stuck in by director Gibson and writer Randall Wallace in a particularly hamfisted way. The English are just so ridiculously evil, they come across as cartoonish. Not only do they enact a fictional law called 'Prima Nocta' to give them the right to have it off with Scottish brides, but they're all either effeminate, weaklings or rabid psychopaths. I suspect the 'breeding the Scots out of the population' bit was stuck in to associate the English with NAZI racial policy during W.W.II.

How does Gibson portray 'his' side? Well, the Scots are all honest, innocent, good hearted and simple village folk. Y'know, like something out of the Munchkin Village in 'The Wizard of Oz'. They spend their days farming, visiting Ewok village style town festivals, having it off naked in frigid valleys and romancing each other on horseback. Completely oblivious and uninvolved in the affairs of their country.

Off course, once stoked up to full killing power by English atrocities, Gibson effortlessly slays every Englishman north of Carlisle. Inflicting a crushing defeat on the English at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297. Which Mr. Ego totally re-writes to remove the river, the bridge, the tactics used and the half of the English army that retreated south.

Other liberties taken include Wallace's fictional taking of the English city of York and the implication that Wallaces's amazing leadership almost resulted the the complete and utter defeat of England, when the real life Wallace only raided on and around the Anglo-Scottish border. Oh well, I guess Gibson's self hero worshiping can't be blamed for not taking 'little' details like this into account. After all, we only want to be entertained.

Needless to say, the wicked English defeat Wallace by foul, underhand means. Accompanied by the strong implication that King Edward I was far too cowardly to face Wallace man to man. Even resorting to sending Princess Isobelle north to negotiate with our hunky hero and his monstrously over the top wig. Huh! Despite the fact that the real life Edward was a cunning and strong warrior king who fought campaigns in England, Wales, Scotland, France and the Middle East! Ah, the unnecessary English bashing just doesn't ever stop in this drivel...

Thankfully Wallace meets his miserable end eventually, putting us all out of ours too. The film then goes on to suggest that Scotland 'won their independence forever', nicely disregarding subsequent centuries of Anglo-Scottish history to boot in its highly simplistic 'happy, smiles' Hollywood ending.

Bottom line, this film is contrived, highly biased, emotionally manipulative, revisionist when it suits its own cause and poorly written when it comes to attitudes of the day. Would the real Wallace use a blatantly modern sounding phrase to berate the English commander at the Battle of Stirling Bridge? "put his head between his legs and kiss his own a**e", hmmm, yeah, right! Also, this film was released to coincide with some local Scottish elections, giving a nice boost to the Scottish National Party. Nice one their Mel, eh!

<<Solo>>
Blow of course. and Schindlers List. And Elephant man was pretty depressing.

VenomVA
The Passion
Princess Bride
The Lion King
City of Angels
Matrix Revolutions
DareDevil (cemetary scene....Evanescence My Imortal just did something to me in that scene)
and this Steve Martin Movie...the name of it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't write it right now...it's where this billboard gives him advice and stuff. Towards the end the scene with him in the rain kinda made me cry.
there are other movies but I can't think of them right now

Oops, almost forgot Say Anything

pipschick
Untamed Heart starring Christian Slater...he dies at the end..and i always end up cryingcrybaby

WindDancer
One of the most saddest Western movie I can remenber is The Great Silence. Corbucci was a good director of Italiano-Westerns. This movie has to be one of his best. The ending was very unpredictable.

quiball
the Little Princess still remains the saddest movie i've ever seen. movies now are really not moving enough

ps there is no such term as "most saddest"

PurityKnight
AI is the saddest movie I've ever seen
........god, I cried....

Aku
Watership Down. The one with the rabbits who have to move out of that field coz that small rabbit keeps having halucinations about the field filling with blood and the holes being covered and hundreds of rabbits squashed and sufficating. The bit where the main rabbit dies or when big wig gets caught in that rabbit trap.

pipschick
Oh god yes..Watership Down always gets me crying all the time..esp when the song plays..Bright Eyes etc etc crybaby

kaylie
the movies that i think are sad are-
walk to remember
pearl harbour
the god soon
titanic
o
and heaps more smile laughing Happy Dance rolling on floor laughing

kaylie
the bits that make me cry are
walk to remeber=when landen finds out she has cancer
pearl harbour=whan danny dies
o=when they all die at the end except josh hartnett then he gets taken away
titanic=when jack dies
sad

PurityKnight
titanic=when jack dies laughing roll eyes (sarcastic) shifty

<<Solo>>
I was laughing my head off when Jack died.

Df02
there was more than enough room on that door for the both of, but no...she had to be fat and make him die of cold!

Return to paradise - i cried the first time, but learnt from my mistake the other times and now i try my hardest not to crybaby

PurityKnight
laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

Aku
I always thought that, yeh they could have both survived, or if she had the door thing then she could have at least given him her clothes. O now that wood have been awesome. smokin'

Cinemaddiction
Don't know if it was mentioned, but "In America" had some real sad moments.

bardock
i have to say butterfly effect

Waggy the Dog
Bubba Ho-Tep

SlipknoT
Cast Away and Butterfly effect

botankus
The films How to Deal and Thirteen were depressing, but only because I was so upset I wasted my time watching them.

Clovie
for me it was full of hope.

Big_Daddy2
I'm gonna say,

Tom Hanks in "Road To Perdition".

SnakeEyes
Life As A House

watch it and you'll know why

BackFire
Elephant Man
Kids
Irreversible
Requiem for a Dream
American History X
Leaving Las Vegas
Blow
Paths of Glory
Platoon
The Sweet Hereafter
RainMan

Fearnix
eastern condors

forumcrew
butterfly effect ends with everything workin out how is that depresing?

lil bitchiness
Awakenings

butterfly Effect wanst depressing, it was a happy ending confused

bardock
not really since he didnt get to be with his girl. that was kinda sad. and other parts of the movie were depressing

BackFire
The only thing depressing in that movie was Asstone Kutchers acting.

lil bitchiness
But it wasnt, in the end he never existed so everything was well! happy

You cant miss what you never had.

bardock
in one ending that happened

Mr Zero
Yeah his mother had her 4th miscarriage when her baby choked to death in her womb. Thats some giggle - inducing happy ending right there. Big grins all round.

I kinda agree: the film was finally friggin over - so i was happy.

MissesDepp?!
hahahaha agreed!

Requiem for a Dream
Dancer in the dark
Moulin Rouge
The Virgin Suicides
American Splendor
Lost in Translation (depends how you take it)
Chinatown
My Girl (oh god --childhood memories)
Spun
Blow
Braveheart

I now realize that I have a movie about her.oine, cocaine and speed. Weird.

bardock
not wierd blow is sad. and i thought ashton was good

Clovie
i like that ending when he is meeting the girl few years later on the street.
i think they could get together then happy

MissesDepp?!
but it was weird how I had all three of the most addicting drugs in the world.. Ashton was good for him so I'll give him that, but he still wasn't good to me.

alic88
DUDE CAST AWAY WAS 1 SAD SAD MOVIE

forumcrew
some people would say ashtons acting job was horrible regardless how good he did.. its just them bieng biased against him.. knowing they will never accomplish half of what he has

BackFire
Yeah, I wish I got paid millions of dollars to act like a dumbass on a shitty TV show.

RaventheOnly
RainMan
Road To Perdition

cast away wasn't that sad because in the end he found hope. smile

Red Superfly
You mean the bit where he loses Wilson?

"Wilson! Wilson! I'm sorry Wilson"

"My name is Voit dumbass"

So touching............

BloomBabyGirl
uh,.let see depressing...batman. he depresses me cuz he has no friends no

BackFire
You saw the Directors cut, the theatrical ending was very different, and much sadder. I can definately see how some people could consider the theatrical ending depressing.

MissesDepp?!
The directors cut sounds better, there was no Ashton Kutcher! My dream come true! now, if we can just work Hilary Duff in there...

BackFire
No one can touch Hilary Duff, her hotness is to overwhelming.

Clovie
for me it wasn't depressing. in the end the actually met erm

Myth
Simon and About Schmit

MissesDepp?!
oh man about schmit.. ohh god

it doesn't matter how pretty hilary duff is, she's an airhead.

BloomBabyGirl
blink blink

SlipknoT
isnt she like 12 or something? But I think the Oslen twins have her beat. There are two of them eek!

BackFire
But the Olsen twins are overly skinny, no curves. Hilary has a great body.

Also, I don't think she's twelve, she's about 16 I think.

bardock
hillary is hot.

Jedi Priestess
I am intriqued as to why people thought RainMan and Blow were depressing? There have really only been 2 movies that have seriously bummed me out: Pay it Forward with Kevin Spacey
and The Champ with Jon Voight......I was crying a river by the time both of these movies ended. Not to say others have not touched me just that these two just tore me up. sad

Lyn
I Am Sam made me cry...maybe that's just the chick in me......

SlipknoT
That other teen actress is hot to. The one with red hair.

vvvrulz
Mystic River was pretty depressing.

ragesRemorse
I know the pledge is a depressing movie with ol jack nicholson

Big bad love, was pretty damn depressing I mean i was sitting here watching this movie and asking myself why am i punishing myself to watch this?

Lost in oblivion is a depressing film to any hope up and comming film director.

Matrix_4_ever
Donnir Darko
Rainman

dean7879
for some reason, the terminator 2 depresses me..dont know why

Lyn
Maybe because he sacrifices himself?

ladygrim
i always seem to fall asleep in depressing movies.... sorry but its just a habit

Evy_O
Requiem for a dream
Philadelphia

dean7879
irreversible depresses me very much so...my advice is not to see that move because it aint entertaining....if u wanna see the most realistic head bashing of all time or the longest rape scene of all time then go ahead and watch it...this film made me nauseus, u have been warned...backfire will tell u more about his film

Spitback
in america
napleon dynimate

KillTheLight
Here's mine

House of sand and fog
Stand by me
LOTR-Return of the king
Schindlers List
The War
Mystic River

L49_JoaquinLovr
Ladder 49- Cried all 4 times I saw it.(last night was my fourth)

LOTR

&lt;OMG OMG ARE YOU A JOAQUIN FAN TOO??? *Dies*&gt;

KillTheLight
lol yeah. Ladder 49 isnt out here yet i'm dying to see it

L49_JoaquinLovr
Wow. Its.....amazing. I think i get to see it for my 5th time this saturday big grin

*Kisses both sigs* Im in LOVE with Joaquin, I have a yahoo name, an aim name, and this name dedicated to him. And im creating a site based on him (isnt too well though)

BackFire
Requiem for a Dream
Irreversible
Paths of Glory
Platoon
Elephant Man
Leaving Las Vegas
Sweet Hereafter
American History X
American Beauty.
Monsters Inc. (Made me cry happy tears)
Shawhank Redemption

L49_JoaquinLovr
BF crying...would've never guessed all of those would make you sulk.
Aww Monsters Inc. LOL
Ive never seen any of those......

ladygrim
this mite sound black hearted but i dont think i got 'sad' at any movie i have seen or i just cant rember them ...

my sister cried at loin king 1

Mr Zero
Iron Giant.

eleveninches
I almost cried when star wars:episode one finished because it was such a dissapointment. It sucked!!!

botankus
I hear ya about The Phantom Menace.

How about E.T., when I was seven.

Drumdude1167
Benji....about the dog.....YEA I CRIED confused sad

SaTsuJiN
Edward Scissorhands was pretty sad
LoTR : Fellowship - the loss of gandalf
Gladiator was also kinna sad

Dr. Strangelove
I have never have cried watching a movie, but I was close to crying to Field of Dreams and Miracle.

Elektra_lover
I cried in Radio

MornGlory
I cried during...

The Passion -- that was a powerful movie
Moonlight Mile
Star Wars Ep I (because it sucked!)
My Life
almost cried at the end of Moulin Rouge

I will have to go see Ladder 49 now

Joaquin Phoenix was on the tonite show or Letterman the other night- sorry dont remember which one-- I'm sure you saw it - it was funny

he's a good actor! I LOVED the VILLAGE!!! loved it Loved it loved it loved

MornGlory
I meant to add this photo I have

Loved The Village

Neo Baggins
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Passion of the Christ
Titanic

<<Solo>>
Enternal Sunshine was awesome/OTF.

fini
hmmmmmmm seen this thread already

i gone say my fave indian movies

and ROTK.......well i cry now when i see it, not cause it makes me sad.

KillTheLight
yes i thought so 2.

Also i've just watched the Pianist sad .That movie is sad

MornGlory
I just saw Ladder 49 tonite -- it was pretty sad

I sort of knew what was going to happen in the end but it was still sad

BlackC@t
I just saw the Dawn of the Dead remake, I cried when that hot guy shot himself at the end because he was infected cry

botankus
Would you have cried if he wasn't hot? smile

dAgEnIuS
I definately think "The Pianist" was the saddest movie ever....
It was so sad, that i almost cried.. no expression

Elektra_lover
Radio was deffintly the saddent ever

Jackie Malfoy
ONe is "Swing kids" and another one "Life is Beatfull" other then those two oh wait I just thought of two more. "Forever young" and last and least "Somewhere in time"
Those movies make me cry so hard.I can't watch them again.Anyway see you around.JMYes in someways I am a cry baby.

pinsleepe
The Lion King
American Beauty
The House of Spirits
Rain Man
Gladiator

L49_JoaquinLovr
Ladder 49

KillTheLight
Pay it forward sad

SpideySense
Dead Man Walking.

Sean Penn really is one of our generations finest actors.

Jes

makaky
Steel Magnolias - it gets me every time I see it!

pr1983
i'm pretty dead inside but crouching tiger and hero got to me

mc pee pants
that dude in your sig is totally, gruesomely f*cked up...

totally obvious, i know... but that's just FUBAR...

RedDragon04
Schindler's List
The Passion of the Christ
Black Hawk Down
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Gladiator
Troy (when Hector died sad)

JediJim
I cried at the end of E.T.

When I was a kid....of course embarrasment

Bierbommetje
I remember getting chaocked up when Darth died in ROTJ

With the imperial march played on harp

And when Luke burned his suit/body

JediJim
^^^^^^^
I'm choking up just thinking about it.
stick out tongue

KillTheLight
yep like u said pretty obvious

so go have ur self a cookie u've earnt it.

<<Solo>>
21 Grams was pretty sad.

jones
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Ice Storm
This Boy's Life
Bowling For Columbine

all made me cry, and there's lots more

El Toro
i rented out Top-Gun to watch with my girl cos she hadnt seen it b4.. and she cried when goose dies.

personally the color purple...and when anakin's mother dies:P

spamandreeses
Yes!! the ice storm and bowling for columbine are very sad i cry at them. especially bowling for columbine.
stepmom and the little rincess are tear jerkers for me. and deep impact makes me cry too hehe

bazooka
titanic - james cameron
i heard that whole world of people cry for it

furryman
Titanic wasn't sad, it was laughable!

BlazingBarrells
hmmm, i dont know about anyone else here, but the deer hunter is a hella sad movie, not like cry sad, but depressing sad, and passion is a tear jerker, mystic river made me feel like a pile of .... hmmm oh yeah and teenage mutant ninja turtles when raphael got his butt kicked by the foot clan......almost killed myself

bazooka
pocahontas - disney

is a very sad cartoon when they are apart...

Elektra_lover
A sad movie that I always cry in is Salena

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>