Horror fan checklist......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Evil Dead
These are the movies I think every horror fan should see. Sure....there are alot of good films not listed, these are just the films I think anybody should see to get a good general feeling of everything the genre has to offer. These are just the basics....

- Jaws
- The Omen
- The Amityville Horror
- Psycho
- Demons
- The Beyond
- Dawn/Day/Night of the Living Dead
- Hellraiser
- Friday the 13th
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- The Howling/Dog Soldiers
- From Dusk 'till Dawn
- Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
- Last House on the Left
- The Hills Have Eyes
- Phantasm
- Canibal Holocaust
- The Shining
- Carrie
- Scream/Urban Legend (basically any '90s teen flick)
- Alien/Aliens
- The Thing
- Return of the Living Dead
- Burnt Offerings
- The Brood
- The Evil Dead
- Martin
- Suspiria
- The Ugly (great, great flick...alot of people havn't seen it though sad )
- Candyman

BackFire
Yep, all of those are musts.

Evil Dead
I keep reading that list........I know I left some good must-sees out...

Lord_Andres
I still havint seen

Burnt Offerings
The Brood
Martin
Suspiria
The Ugly
The Hills Have Eyes

but I will defently buy'em sooner or later

BackFire
I'd add....

Zombie, Salo, Nightmare on Elmstreet, and 28 Days Later, Irreversible.

Lord_Andres
Zombie is a must

Evil Dead
see.......I thought FOR SURE I had ANOES on there.......it's one of my favorite films........

I didn't have 28 Days Later on there simply because I felt it was too much like the Romero Dead films........I figured if you watched all 3, 28 Days Later wouldn't really be anything new to you.......

Lord_Andres

BackFire
Well, 28 Days Later has a more realistic and believalbe modern day feel to it, plus with the use of digital video it becomes a much more real movie. But yeah, I thought I would mention it because of the fact that it's the best modern horror film for the past several years.

Spitback
Halloween
exorcist

Evil Dead
The Thing is on there.........meh @ the Fog......nothing groundbreaking....... meh @ IT.........nothing you could get out of those films (mini-series in the case of It) that you wouldn't get if you watched all the other films on the list......

word @ zombie..........good stuff....

Lord_Andres
Rosemary baby should be on the list

BackFire
I'll also thrown in Irreversible. Not a traditinal horror movie, but possibly the most horrific and disturbing film you will ever see. It's worth seeing just for the SFX in the infamous fire extinguisher scene.

Evil Dead
edit it up backfire............keep a good list running up there....I would do it myself but Raz has the user edit option down to like 15 minutes after post I believe.

as to Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist...............if you've already seen the movies on the list especially The Omen and Amityville Horror.......you pretty much know the genre. You'll be experiencing nothing new by watching the Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby.

same thing with Halloween........

I didn't make the list as a "hey...here are the best movies that I think everybody should watch" list.............it's a "hey, these movies are a great cross section of the horror genre. If you watch all of these you'll pretty much have seen most of what the genre has to offer" list.

MildPossession
Irreversible is disturbing yes, good choice there Backfire! Ah Vincent Cassel.

Also agree with The Fog and Rosemary's Baby, love those two films.

Salo, Is a film I could only watch once.

No Asian horror on there, forgive me if I missed one.

Evil Dead
I find nothing innovative about Asian horror.........I'm not a fan...havn't seen a whole lot of it.

Spitback
gozu rocked audtion rocked come on asian horror rocks

MildPossession
Oh well, shame.

BackFire
Yeah, Audition is a great one.

Mr Zero
Irreversible & JAWS dont belong on that list, they are drama / thriller.

Alien/Aliens & The Thing are pure sci-fi.

From Dusk 'till Dawn is a great ****in movie - but not scary or innovative in the least.

American Werewolf in London?

Asian horror is either included or your list is a sham - it's the cutting edge of whats genuinely ****ing scary these days.

Otherwise - nice job.

BackFire
As I said, Irreversible is not a horror film in the traditional sense, but it does have some aspects of a horror film, and is equally as disturbing and horrific as any horror movie I've seen. Plus, a lot of horror fans like it, so that is why I mentioned it even though it technically wouldn't belong in the genre.

Cinemaddiction
The "Tomie" franchise, "The Eye", and "St. Johns Wart" are mediocre at best, however "Versus" and "Audition" both do rightfully belong.

I have yet to see "Ju-on", "Evil Dead Trap", or "Ringu". Keep in mind the rental availability of these things isn't exactly bountiful.

BTW, isn't this list missing the goriest film of all time, "Dead Alive/Braindead"?

BackFire
Ah, good observation CA, I totally forgot about that.

ragesRemorse
I think this a great thread. I think all of the listings are near perfect. the only one i havent been able to see in my horror life is canibal holocaust.
The Only gripe i have with the list is The omen. Was the onem really that good? Atleast the sense of being the best flick in the Genre. I believe that rosemary's baby should be there before the Omen. I think Rosemary's baby gets little recognition for helping to pave the way for more shocking and evelope pushing flicks, like the omen, and the exorcist. this movie had mad controversy for it being made,back in the day. Sinatra even left his wife for being in a witch movie.

some other greats i think that were fogotten or over looked include

American werewolf in london ( best werewolf flick to date)
Body snatchers- ( doesnt matter which version, i prefer the remake.)
The wickerman
The lost boys
the believers
Fright Night
Childs play.
Of course The Birds

I dont think these two are musts for horror fans,but are great original flicks. In the mouth of madness, cemetary man.

Spitback
wicker man that was a great film

Mr Zero
Wicker man is a great movie - but not a horror flick.

And i'm also a closet fan of Carpenters In the Mouth of Madness - which reminds me - Halloween & Prince of Darkness anyone? Carpenter needs to be represented.

ragesRemorse
well he was represented with The thing. this is the best of his offerings. then halloween. As for Vampires, though there arent many, there are still better vampire flicks out there.

Wicker man can be considered horror for the occult material. you cant really calssify it as drama, suspense, or a thriller.

slayer
many will disagree, but in my opinon Friday the 13th is a must see.

Evil Dead
- I didn't have Irreversible....that was Backfire's suggestion and he is quite correct in his reasoning. Horror doesn't have to be some fantasy/made up crap............horrific things happen in real life too, which is more along the lines of Irreversible.

- Jaws does belong on that list. It is the best "monster" movie ever made. There are people still today who do not swim in the ocean.

- From Dusk 'till Dawn is the pinacle of camp/comedy/horror films. They don't get any better. If you want to watch camp horror...watch from Dusk 'till Dawn.

- Alien/Aliens are horror films......in a futuristic setting. To say something isn't horror simply because it takes place in the future is just assinine. A pure sci-fi flick would be Star Wars...or Star Trek.

- Asian horror is not on the cutting edge. I'm not a fan. I have not watched much simply because I wasn't impressed with the ones I did watch....which were pretty big names of Japanese Horror. I believe people talk so much about it as if it's new or innovative to make it seem like they are "in the know" on the cool stuff......to make them feel special for watching something that most people don't. Watch a few thousand horror films, then get back to me about how innovative asian horror is. It's not....same ol' concepts are being done in Asia, just as they are here in the U.S. Italian horror had the same rep 15-20 years ago. It wasn't deserved either. All Italian horror had to offer that wasn't readily available here in the states was more gore.....which in no way makes a movie better, it merely tries to cover up flaws in plot....you know, gloss over all the holes with blood. Don't get me wrong...there is alot of Italian horror I like....but not because they are Italian and "Italian is cool".......some are just genuily great flicks....but the Italian scene in general was never better than the U.S. scene. I judge purely movie by movie.....I'm not going to watch something just because it's Japanese and Japanese horror is "cool"....or Italian just because Italian "is cool". If I hear good things about a specific movie or I see it and it looks interesting...I watch it. That simple.

- American Werewolf in London? I'm sorry but I covered the werewolf genre.......and both The Howling and Dog Soldiers are much better films and are therefore much better representations of the werewolf genre in horror.

- I too am a big fan of In the Mouth of Madness. Is that one of the first movies a person should watch when getting into the horror genre though? Me thinks not.

- meh......Halloween was alright....but the slasher genre was covered with Friday the 13th.......which I believe to be a superior film. You may not..........but oh well, I made the post not you.

By the way.........Vampires were covered. The very best vampire flick ever made was Martin. It's on the list..........

I get the feeling people are just saying what their favorite movies are........not which are the best to basically sum up the horror genre. I didn't make this thread for fanboys.........I made it as kind of a check list for beginners to look at and see what movies they should watch first, which movies would better introduce them to the genre and pretty much sum up what they'll be recieving from it.

BackFire
ED, have you seen Audition? It's a great Japanese horror flick. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Evil Dead
no I havn't.......but I will now.

I'm not going to watch it because it's asain horror and asian horror is the "cool" thing these days..............I'm going to watch it because Backfire says it's a good movie and his opinion is just as good as currency to me.

Mr Zero
ED I think your list is a fine list - it's a good idea - and its your list. I just think your being a little too free-and-easy with what constitutes the "horror" genre, especialy for a beginners horror listing.

Aliens is a scary movie - but it's a BEM Sci-Fi flick for sure, not a horror movie in space. Carpenters ghosts of Mars is a horror movie in space - just a shitty one.

And jaws is an action flick - i think you just want them in there because they are "cool"- yanno - like asian horror is these days.

Anyway I'll be curious to see what you think of Audition....

SlipknoT
Since when is Asian horror "cool"?

Evil Dead
If the film is made with the intention to scare somebody......it is meant to be a "scary" movie, otherwise known as horror.

I'm getting the vibe from you that you believe horror films are:
- about the supernatural or
- about some guy running around killing people

Don't mean to burst your bubble........but Jaws was meant to scare people. It wasn't done by accident. Jaws was meant to scare the crap out of people.......and it did. It was a "scary" movie.......

In all reality it isn't....but it is all the rage these days. Perfect example. When the Ring came out.......everybody harped about how much better Ringu was. I thought, "hmmmm....it was the original film so it probably is better"..........guess what? Disappointment. It wasn't better than The Ring........it had a bit more tension to it but the plot was nowhere near as coherent. People just raved about it because it was Japanese horror and Japanese horror is supposed to be better right now or something...(just like Italian horror was supposed to be better when that scene really kicked off)...............I'm not falling for it. I'll continue judging movies individually...regardless of what country they were filmed in.

Mr Zero
So by your definition any movie that has scary scenes is a horror film, even if it's about fish.

Moby Dick. HORROR MOVIE!!!

Films with tension and drama and action can be called thrillers and action movies if you want to define them. Jaws is by no means a horror film.

Evil Dead
when I want your opinion........I'll ask for it..........until then, sit quitely with you hand raised waiting to be called on.

thank you.

ragesRemorse
I dont think that the asian's have a very good grasp on a decent horror formula. I had a friend who was big into the asian cinema period. He made me sit through hours and hours of shit movies that are accliamed,but are just copying the western's horror formula. there are quite a few worth mentioning. Chopsocky, the king, and evil dead trap. Are very good and original horror flicks that Asian Cinema has pulled off. the thing with Asian horror is that it is many times exaggerated like there fantasy genre's, eigther this or they revolve heavily around asian beliefs and religoun, which make these movies targeted for a certain audience entertainment only.

I dont think it is appropriate to assign just one movie to sum up the knowledge and entertainment value of one branch of the horror world, such as one movie for vampires, one movie for werewolves, and so one. I know it is necessary in some cases due to the flood of movies around that one subject. It isnt my thread, but i think the best of the best of the subjects should be acknowledged. Many people are just listing favorited horror flicks though.

I dont see how you choose the howling over American werewolf in london. I wasnt around for the release of eigther. I do acknowledge what the howling did. It is a decent werewolf flick, but it is just filled with to much cheese. I would be bold enough to say that the Howling was an accident aswell. It came at a time when no one had a violent werewolf flick with a decent werewolf creature in it. However, American werewolf in London gives us a simple,yet great story that includes the werewolf mythology that we all love. The writing and acting was great, and not to mention it has the best transformation from man to werewolf in film history,and other superb effects.

I would also acknowledge fright night. I mean this movie came at a time when horror movies were stuck knee deep in the slasher cycle. Fright night was a surprise on it's entertainment. It took the age old story of Vampire sterotypes, and details and gave it to us all in one nostalgic film. this is one of those rare horror movies that should by all means be terrible and silly,but pulls of an orginal twist on vampire movies using the age old stories of Vampires.

Evil Dead
I love Fright Night........

to be perfectly honest......for me, it could have been so much better. It is a great story and has good acting..........it just dances around the horror aspect that any supernatural vampire flick should have. It almost resembles a made for tv movie.

ragesRemorse
I htink that is probably one of the most fitting descriptions for that movie i have read. Yeah it diddnt have to much bite, but when it did bite the fangs sank in deep. I think Fright night was a train wreck waiting to happen from it's conception.(I mean a t.v vampire hunter as a vampire killer) However, it diddnt wreck and miraculously Pulled out a surprise for everyone giving us the basic vampire concept that everyone has,but never got on film. I think that is why it worked,and worked well.

MildPossession
The Eye mediocre!? It was perfect. Sequel was decent also. Oh well your opinion, but I thought it was fantastic. I'm just a fan of the two leading ladies in each film lol.

Yep the list is getting better and better in this topic. Good topic.

Dario Argento
The list needs:

Some Mario Bava movies

Deep Red

Some Asian Horror (There are some really great ones ED)

Dreyer's "vampyr" (maybe the most beautiful horror flick ever)

Paul Morrisey's "Blood for Dracula" and "Flesh for Frankenstein"

The Birds

Dead & Buried

and of caurse the greatest werewolf flick ever "The Company of Wolves"

MildPossession
Have you seen Card Player yet? Deep Red is a great addition.

Dario Argento
no I haven't, but I really want to.

ragesRemorse
I disagree there neeing to be some Asain horror

Cinemaddiction
Eh, it was basically an Asian "The Sixth Sense". Nice gimmick with the "eyeball transplant", but fat Asian kid running around asking about a report card isn't my idea of Horror. No tension.

Asians, frankly, should just stick to Wuxia. It's the one thing us yanks can't top.

Mr Zero
That and your national sport of being so far up your own asses you cant see a damn thing.

Dario Argento
Actually I think Takashi Miike is one of the most interesting directors right now.

I saw the trailer for his new movie "3 Monster" and looks mind-blowing.

ragesRemorse
yeah we might be up our asses, but wihle we are there we produce the greatest consistant cinema.

Dario Argento
no

MildPossession
I prefer it over Sixth Sense anyday. Only thing in common is seeing dead people, totally different films after that.

Everyone I have heard who dislikes the film always says it's an Asian Sixth Sense, so strange...

DArio- I haven't seen it either, but can't wait. Just waiting for Bay to release it in England.

slayer
Sleepaway Camp 2 was a great horror spoof. big grin

ragesRemorse
I remembered another flick that i forgot. One that needs to be viewed by all horror fans. Flatliners, This movie is original in every sense of the word. It is also the only, or atleast best of it's kind. It is a Horror movie that has no monsters, has no killers, It has no tangible force preying on people. the monster in this movie is our own humanity and sins. I think it was done in a brilliant way that left me touched by a cold hand of self awarness. The interaction of sin between the character's in the movie are done using fantasy and perception, yet leaves an eerily, vivid realness to it.

Evil Dead
oh yes..........

I love me some Flatliners......

ragesRemorse
yeah, any flick with both keifer sutherland and kevin bacon in it is bound to be a winner on some level.

shantelbenasty2
it's about a woman that gives birth in her friend house while she's squeezing a blanket around her wrist. the woman leaves the child and the blanket at her friends house and he kills thier infant. when he gets a little older no more than 6 he starts to kill thier other children one by drowning the last by throwing her out the window. the father tries to strangle the child but is caught and the child says mommy daddy is trying to strangle me it ends with the two women reunited and her friend has another baby the husband tries to run after his wife but fails

Blinky
Phantasm is a must-see for any horror fan, IMO. It greatly upsets me when a self proclaimed "horror buff" has not seen this classic movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.