Johnny Cash

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ElectricBugaloo
****ing great artist, not a thread about him besides those about his death.

Listening to "Hurt" right now, and it is ****ing brilliant

discuss The Man In Black

Evil Dead
One of the best singers to ever live.

ElectricBugaloo
singer? eh, his singing was nothing special, kina like Dylan; you listen for hte words not the singing (opposite of Marvin Gaye). He doesn't even really sing, but just tells a story to a guitar. Kinda like Hendrix...only without the guitar playing skill. But still a great songwriter.

bardock
he is great

Evil Dead
Johnny Cash was one of the greatest singers to ever live. His voice conveyed so much emotion that he could speak strait through a song w/o ever having to harmonize and it would still be a great song. His guitar work was nothing spectacular.........Johnny Cash was known for his voice and rightfully so.

big gay kirk
My daddy left home when I was three....

ElectricBugaloo
great song.

Evil Dead
How do you do? my name is Sue. Now you gonna die!

batmanrules
Johnny cash was one of the greatest men to grace the earth, somewhere in the top 5 americans.

Afro Cheese
He is basically the only country artist I like, but I like him so much that I don't only like him as a country artist but I like him more than a lot of artists I like form any other genre too. I've been searching for some more country artists I like but so far I can't find any besides mr cash. He is an awesome singer.. his voice has a lot of emotion in it and he's great for singing sad songs. He is a good song writer but he didn't write the song "hurt." Trent something from Nine Inch Nails wrote it but I think Johnny Cash performs it much better. American IV was just a great album in general.

Darth Revan
Johnny Cash is great and an amazing songwriter, but he didn't write Hurt... Trent Reznor did.

ElectricBugaloo
yeah, I know. I never said that he wrote it. Though he did make it his own in a way that Trent Reznor never could have, much the same way Hendrix did with "All Along The Watchtower"

Afro Cheese
Yeah I thought Cash's version was much better... just seemed more complete. And even though I'm not really into all that biblical stuff I thought the title song of the album "The Man Comes Around" was good too.

Darth Revan
Yeah, I agree with that. I don't like one or the other more, they're just... different. Cash did do a good job of making it his own.

ElectricBugaloo
I think the reason teh Cash version came off as being so much better was that his pain was so much greater than that of Reznor.

Here was a man who has been recording music since the 50s, and he knew he was nearing the end of his career. His wife had already passed away (leading to the saddest moment in the video when it flashes her picture). He was no longer the strong, badass counterculture figure that he had been for so many decades.

Cash had emotion that Reznor just couldn't match.

Afro Cheese
Well said. I don't like NIN's version too much.. I don't know why it's probably because I heard Cash's version first and then looked up the original author. But I do have to give credit to Trent Reznor for some great lyrics.. although Cash did change them slightly it's basically the same thing.

Darth Revan
He only changed one word--in the NIN version, there's a part that goes "I wear this crown of shit," Cash changed it to "crown of thorns".

Afro Cheese
Yeah I noticed that part cause the word shit caught me by surprise. I didn't know if he changed anything else cause I haven't listened to the original version much.

Darth Revan
Heh, for me it was the word thorns that caught me by surprise. stick out tongue

ElectricBugaloo
It's kind of weird that he did that because he was known as a outspoken guy. I mean,in a Boy Named Sue, he curses...live he'd curse like a sailor.

Afro Cheese
Well he was pretty close to dieing maybe he was trying to get on God's good side. He did also do a cover of "Personal Jesus" on the same album..

Darth Revan
...Which was a billion times better than Marilyn Manson's version. thumb up

Afro Cheese
I think it's even better than the original (by Depeche Mode or something like that). But I didn't like the original of that song much either so..

ElectricBugaloo
And Personal Jesus isn't exactlyabout JESUS

Afro Cheese
I was only kidding with that comment about God. But what is it about?

ElectricBugaloo
I think that the guy from depeche mode said it was about personal spirituality and how you guide your life. It wasn't necessarily about jesus. or something like that.

Deathblow
Hmm he wasn't bad, not exactly my thing, but I can see the appeal.

Kill me if you must, but I think his cover of Hurt is just embarrassing. No disrespect, but he just sounds like Trent Reznor's grandpa making fun of him or something. Doesn't work.

Afro Cheese
I guess it's a matter of opinion. But to me it seemed like the vocalist from NIN was singing so softly and there was hardly any instrumentals.. just doesn't seem like much of a song. I think that if I heard the NIN version first and got used to that before I heard Cash's version my opinion might be different.. but I heard Johnny Cash's version first and I thought the lyrics sounded like an alternative rock song so I looked up who really wrote it.

Deathblow
Yeah, it's just that fuzzy white noise with Trent half-whispering over the top at the beginning. It's supposed to be a quiet song, it's basically a comedown from all the screaming noises of the album, and on that level it works perfectly. Plus he only sings softly in the verses, the rest of the song he sings normally and the guitar gets louder and louder as the song goes on, then gets deafening at the end. It's a perfect close to The Downward Spiral, and Cash didn't (or couldn't) capture the mood of the original.

I guess it's just because NIN are one of those few bands I don't trust other artists to cover.

Afro Cheese
Yeah but Cash didn't have all the screaming noises in the album to come down from so if he did it all quiet like that it wouldn't have fit perfectly like it did on NIN's album it just would've been some random quiet song in the middle of his cd. I was more surprised he covered Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" more than anything else.. with his extra deep voice.. just couldn't see him singing that one.

ElectricBugaloo
Johnny Cash can (or could) do whatever the hell he wanted. He was probably one of the most badass people in all of music, ever.

He sang it like he would a Johnny Cash song. He made it his own.

Afro Cheese
Yeah he pulled it off. He definitely did have that badass reputation.

Deathblow
That song isn't anything to do with being a 'badass' though, quite the opposite in fact.

The original will always be infintely better in my books. It's way darker.

ElectricBugaloo
Johnny Cash was in general a badass. Arguably one of the most 'badass' artists of all time. The original may have been darker, but it feels forced. The Cash version is not supposed to be dark, but rather Cash's way of showing his pain. And if it was in a cover, I believe a man who has recorded for that long and wrote that many songs has a right to do a cover.

"I shot a man in Reno/Just to watch him die..."

Alpha Centauri
Johnny Cash was a bad dude.

Cash really made you feel what he was singing about in that cover. The result and meaning was the same as when Trent wrote it obviously but the way of getting there was alot different and very effective. Tragically sounding voice added to it.

-AC

Atomic Rico
Of course I love the man in black. I like pre 90's country when you didnt have to be good boys to sell music

ElectricBugaloo
current country is all pop anyways.

The only country I listen to are Mr Cash, Willie Nelson and Hank WIlliams, Sr

Atomic Rico
Me too, and Willies great. I dont think any country stars today are planning on smoking pot with jimmy carter on the white house roof
laughing out loud

Afro Cheese
Johnny Cash is the only country singer I like. I tried finding others but I couldn't get into anyone else.

ElectricBugaloo
I think Hank Williams, Sr is a better songwriter than Johnny Cash.

Afro Cheese
He may be I'm not all that familiar with his work. I don't know why I like Johnny Cash.. something about his work just draws me in. I don't like typical country music.

ElectricBugaloo
Oh yeah, Cash transcends his genre.

nick1811
What!! no JC thread!!??

the mans a legend, his cover og hurt by NIN was stunning.

Dr. Strangelove
Yes, it is great. Probably one of the saddest songs I've ever heard.

Very few vocalists can put more emotion into a song than Cash.

ElectricBugaloo
One of my favorite artists ever.

JimMorrison227
Johnny Cash is god....or a god. When he covered "Hurt" and I first heard it, I was stunned with how well he covered it.

R.I.P the man in black.

Morning_Glory
cant wait to see Walk The Line

Korri
I get my love of Johnny Cash from my dad, and alot of other country artists for that matter.

Yeah the guy is a legend.

KillTheLight
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
Yes, it is great. Probably one of the saddest songs I've ever heard.

Very few vocalists can put more emotion into a song than Cash.

totally agree..

jaden101
i am a man of constant sorrow...what a magnificent song that is...cash is indeed "the man"

el_barto
Johnny Cash is great. I really want to get into more of his stuff though.

Deathblow
Originally posted by jaden101
i am a man of constant sorrow...what a magnificent song that is...

Absolutely thumb up thumb up thumb up

I've always thought the original of Hurt is far better, maybe because it fits in perfectly at the end of TDS I don't know http://www.ebslive.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Impediment
I want to see "Walk the Line" as well. I hope Joaquin Phoenix can pull it off. Not like Val Kilmer in that sh*tty Doors movie. Man that sucked. Johnny Cash is immortal, and I own his box set proudly. Damn thing cost me over $100. But worth every cent. I love how he can go from one extreme to the next so easily. Like he sings a song about Jesus Christ, then he'll sing a song about killing his true love, then he sings a heart breaking version of "Hurt" because he mourned the death of his wife so very, very hard. Some people say he mourned himself to death. One of my favorites of his is "We'll meet again" cover off of his very
last album he did in 2004. I want that song played at my funeral. Seriously.

ElectricBugaloo
johnny cash didn't write man of constant sorrow...

bardock
he was a legend. Hurt was great.

Darth Revan
Hurt is great. Rusty Cage is a favorite of mine as well.

he's cool

Pezmerga
The Doors was a good movie , I thought Val did a great job. now if you wanna talk batman....Now that was bad...but I think that was doomed no matter who they had.

and as for Cash..hes cool in his own right, not a huge fan, but I respect his music and know he's definately a Legend.

jaden101
Originally posted by ElectricBugaloo
johnny cash didn't write man of constant sorrow...

richard burnett wasn't it?

still...cash' version is the best...even better than dylans

Alpha Centauri
I think Johnny Cash is great but I think it's sad and rather ironic that the man's career is being near enough defined by a cover he did of an artist not even at his best (by that I mean I don't believe Trent was as good as he could be when he produced The Downward Spiral).

-AC

Victor Von Doom
I feel a bit sorry for the man that that seems to be his legacy.

JLred
I love "Hurt"
and "The man comes around"(Dawn of the Dead)
and "The Ring of Fire"

I would expect like 300 posts at least....not many country fans out there...................

Johnny Cash is wearing white now....at least in heaven he is.....

SnakeEyes
I don't even like country really, but I enjoy lots of Johnny Cash's music. I guess it's because he was actually talented unlike the CMT bullshit I hear nowadays.

Afro Cheese
I only have two of his albums.. Live At San Quentin and Live at Folsom Prison.. but both of them are excellent. Prefer San Quentin though.. Boy Named Sue, Daddy Sang Bass, Folsom Prison Blues (both have that song but I like the SQ performance more).

I downloaded a copy of americam iv but never bought it. Don't think I will either. When I buy another album of his it'll be an older studio album since all i have is live albums so far..

JLred
I dont have cds of him....I want this one......cheap and great songs........

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=PQ0l0jICaC&EAN=602498843406&ITM=1

Shwartz
I just wanted to post asking how many people like this awesome artist. So if your a fan, post plz.

Phat J
thats funny, cocaine blues started playing when i opened this thread.

Bardock42
There are already a few Threads about him:

Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash

Myself....I liked the movie, I don't know much about Johnny Cash nor listened much to him though, so......

papabeard
I like the man and I like his later music with rick rubin but im not really into that old school country music, I like the fulsom prison stuff too.

amity75
Originally posted by papabeard
I like the man and I like his later music with rick rubin but im not really into that old school country music, I like the fulsom prison stuff too. One of the guys in my office has your avi as his desktop wallpaper. Very cool. "Dead mans shoes" i believe.

mysterio69
johnny is a god. end of story.

johnny cash fan
i think johnny cash is the greatest country artist ever.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I think Johnny Cash is great but I think it's sad and rather ironic that the man's career is being near enough defined by a cover he did of an artist not even at his best (by that I mean I don't believe Trent was as good as he could be when he produced The Downward Spiral).

-AC

I'm not sure if Johnny Cash's career is defined by this cover. Why do you think that?

musicislife
New Johnny Cash CD July 4rth. cool

Renamon
pfft, J.C isnt all that good erm only song that went anywhere really was burning ring of fire erm

Bardock42
Originally posted by Renamon
pfft, J.C isnt all that good erm only song that went anywhere really was burning ring of fire erm

I see....I understand he is not as good as the Backstreet Boys and Good Charlotte.....but he is still pretty good.

Renamon
im not into boy bands no expression im into country, not classic country, new age country smile

Scarecrow756
Johnny Cash is legend, I recently just got a 2CD collection of his best songs, its very good. I first heard one of his songs while playing Tony Hawk`s Underground 2, I think the song I heard was Ring of Fire. I do agree that Hurt is a very good song. But my favourite song of his is Ghost Riders in the Sky. R.I.P Johnny Cash rip

Outcesticide
Johnny Cash kicks ass.

Scarecrow756
Originally posted by Outcesticide
Johnny Cash kicks ass.

He sure does. rock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.