Superbit DVDs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpiderGurl
Just wondering if there really is a huge improvement in the quality of the picture for Superbit DVDs. I'm trying to decide which DVD to get: Spiderman 2 Special Edition or Spiderman 2 Superbit. (Superbit does not come with any bonus material, just the movie).

Dr. Strangelove
Well each Superbit is different as some are better than others from what Ive heard. I only have one Superbit Lawrence of Arabia and it's a faaaaantastic transfer.

On Spiderman 2, when it comes out read a review of both editions and see if the SM2 with extras has a lot worse transfer than the Superbit. If their's not much difference, I would get the one with the extras.

DirectorFitz
I'd only buy the Superbit for the improved picture quality and the DTS Digital Surround. But I DO like special features. Hmm...I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll get Superbit. Basically 'cause I think I'll get used to buying movies strictly for the movie. (I.E.: Passion of the Christ) I think I'll buy the Superbit Spider-Man also.

ragesRemorse
Damn, the picture isnt that much different. DvD sound blows all together if you dont have a stereo system. How clear does your picture really have to be? Heres the thing, yeah the visual quality on superbits and DvD's are nice and sometiems really nice, but what makes the bigger difference is your television. You have a shitty T.V your picture quality isnt going to show through on superbit's. If you have a top of the line t.v then a VHS will look ball breakingly fantastic. That word they tack on their advanced sound and picture quality, is just there to get your money.

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah I agree, unless you have a 50' inch you really don't see a whole lot of difference. My family had a 80's 18' inch TV, just terrible image quality and part of the edges of the TV was blocked off. About a year ago we got a 24' inch flat screen and their is a world of difference.

Neo Baggins
I've played a superbit dvd before and you must have some pretty good surround sound or anything that supports some type of DTS Digital Sound usually on the back of a dvd it will have a "DTS" symbol. DTS is sound that is better than just actual sound like 2.1 or 5.1 digital sound. 2.1 is just two speakers and 5.1 surround sound is usually 5 speakers and DTS is a more advanced type of surround sound, it is more clear and it sounds sharper. You would never see "2.1 DTS surround sound"! It is always either "5.1 DTS Surround sound" or "6.1 DTS Surround Sound". 6.1 is usually 6 speakers (although on my surround system, it only has 5 speakers and a subwoofer and 6.1 works on it.)

But Superbit contains DTS sound which is a lot better and if you have any of The Lord of the Rings" Extended Cut dvds, The Passion of the Christ, it contains DTS. Superbit is pretty cool but, from what i know, it doesn't contains any or not as many special features so if you are planning on buying Spider Man 2 on dvd I would say get the special edition or the Collecter's Edition Giftset, but thats just me, you could make your own decision.

SpiderGurl
Alright, thanks for the replies. I've decided to get the special edition since I only have 2 speakers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.