Frodo at the grey havens [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

tarbeach
hi everyone,

Just saw movie and loved it. But I haven't read the book and I was wondering why Frodo had to go away at the end? Please help

enya
dat was so sad, bless all the hobbits they were so gutted. i could tell something was wrong as he wasnt cryin when the others lefted.

i wondering that myself, maybe it was to find his true peace as he said he couldnt go back to normal

lkotbr33
in the book frodo goes in place of one of the elves arwen i think because his grief of the ring and his wounds is too much

enya
this is nothin to do with the orginal question but it iz to do with frodo. omg frodo topless would of prefered it if it was legolas but still omg he looked good, looked less good near the end but not the point

Elfstone
they didn't change it from the book did they?

justinday15
yeah it confused me too at the end.

Aurora
Frodo leaves in the books too. It wasn't a change. Actually if truth be told after Rosie dies Sam also crosses the sea as do Legolas and Gimli after Aragorn dies.

I am rusty but Frodo was unhappy and that is why he left. In the movie it felt like only Sam's life had really changed in the shire when they get back. But that is not true. Frodo becomes mayor of part of the Shire when they return.

sheild_Eowyn
How does it end???Details plz eek!

Gilraen
It wasn't because he was unhappy, that Frodo left. All ringbearers leave together with most of the elves. Frodo's wound was just to deep. And he couldn't heal anymore.

GABRIEL05
Gilraen is correct. Frodo couldn't return to a normal life after that so he was allowed (I guess thats the best word) to leave Middle Earth.

fini
uh i didn't see the movie and I KNOW THIS..

The ringbearers all went to Valinor sometime or the other
And for frodo its true , he had to go to get healed properly.........the samn thing happened to Celebrian(Arwen's mother) she was injured in middle earth so she left of Valinor.

hey now that you have seen the movie..........please go read the book

cermiestar
it was a bittersweet ending, in that frodo did what he set out to do - save the shire, but when he got back, he couldn't be happy in the shire any more.

Aren't the undying lands a kind of allegory for heaven? I mean, Beren and Luthien meet there again etc.

Camellia
I guess you could put it that way cermiestar! That's what I would have thought.

A little off topic but...: Did anybody else find it beautiful when the hobbits had completed their task and they run out of the mountain and they fall upon the ground, exhausted. And then Sam breaks down, his hope gone, and he comments on marrying Rosie. Well, I love the way that Frodo and Sam seem to switch roles there: Frodo becomes the comforter, not the one to be comforted - beautiful! big grin

GABRIEL05
Ya know fini I don't think there is ONE overwhelming reason why Frodo left Middle earth. None of the ones listed are incorrect, or more correct than the others.

Cowboyography
all ring bearers must leave middle-earth. thats what I got from the books, Sam leaves eventually to, because he was a ringbearer in the books for alot longer than he was in the movies, he even uses the power of the ring and puts it on in the books.

OrliNElijahsGrl
awwww that was a wonderful ending, a wonderful ending to a wonderful triology, i bawled my eyes out as frodo was getting on the ships with the elves and sam, merry and pippin were crying, i bawled alot during this movie, it was absoulutly amazing and i so cant wait to see it again tomorrow night! BLESSED!

OOOO seeing frodo naked was interesting, my eyes got big because im a big lij fan, so seeing lij skin was like WOW! I wish that would of happened with legolas too, see some orli skin! Which by the way..legolas was absoulutly amazing in the film, fighting with the elephant and everything and he was just so..wow..he looked like an angel!

But yes...seeing frodo leaving with the elves was a sad sad moment, it felt as if i was saying goodbye to frodo myself, saying goodbye to all the characters, when it said "the end" i broke down, because of the thought that its all over, no more lotr films after this! I have tissues left over from lastnight that im keeping in my purse for tomorrow night, because i know ill cry again!!

ElvenQueen
Me and my friend were hoping for a butt shot...but i guess since it is only PG-13 they left his pants on but in the book Frodo was butt naked! yes And check out my site (its in my siganture) if you wanna see some Lij skin.

OrliNElijahsGrl
lmao me too, i was hoping to see some lij bootie, but no..the pants were left on, darn the luck but still...WOOOOOOOOOT! got to see some lij skin!!!

WOOOOOOWWWW! that is a hot pic of lij on your site *drools*

fini
okokokokok YOU TWO stop that crap right now.............go drool in a THREAD MEANT FOR DROOLING..................this isn't the place for it

sheessshh

OrliNElijahsGrl
aw wa wa, we are still talking about the film, we just mentioned a scene, big deal

dont ruin our fun

anyways...I CANT WAIT TO SEE ROTK AGAIN TOMORROW NIGHT!!!

fini
MAKE A THREAD TO DROOL...........please and keep it there...........its just a matter of time before alllllllllllll the orli,lij, viggo etc droolers reach and post their stuff in every single thread.

ElvenQueen
Whenever I see you post something...you always a *****...Mind your own business and stop yelling at everyone. Post something positive for once in your life mad

OrliNElijahsGrl
ooo go elven queen!

for real fini, relax, we were talking about a scene, just like everyone does, and we mentioned the frodo scene, thats talking about the movie, so stop the whining, and stop ruining others fun

Zandra Shinto
For those of you who have seen The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, I have a very important question!!

Has ANYONE seen a screen shot somewhere on the internet of Frodo kissing Sam on the head at the end of the movie?!? If so, can you give me the link? I am soooo in love with that scene!!

Thanks! o.o;

P.S - If I sound like a pathetic fan girl, exuse me. Normally I don't act like this, and normally, I'm on the Harry Potter forum but it's urgent that I need that screen shot. o.o;

BingaBonga
I'm just wondering, but are you searching it because you think that it's "gay?"

Zandra Shinto
No. Just for the fact that Sam and Pippin and Merry aren't going to see Frodo again (or are they?) is just sad. And it's like Frodo and Sam are close brothers, you know what I'm saying?

Basically, it's just a matter of friendship and a I'll miss you that'll go long ways.

BingaBonga
Okay, well that's good, I was just wondering... I'll keep my eyes out for it... I doubt I'll be able to find it though...

Zandra Shinto
I wouldn't blame you. RotK DID just come out like almost a week ago and it's going to take awhile for the screen shots to spread.

BingaBonga
Yeah, well, People magazine if questioned Elijah Wood about the relationship of Frodo and Sam, and asked if it was a "homosexual relationship." Stupid people... they take things the wrong way....

Zandra Shinto
Well, it could actually work both ways. But so what if Frodo and Sam had a gay relationship? There's nothing wrong with that, honestly. Besides, they're just asking. Nothing wrong in asking.. Okay, so I could be wrong with that part. o_o;

But there's nothing wrong in gay relationships. People are just curious that's all. *shrug*

BingaBonga
Well, the point is, is that Sam is in love with Rose Cotton. Everyone knows that, but they continue to make fun of Frodo and Sam for that reason. You have to realize, all they have is each other... I would probably be crying on Sams shoulder! But anyway...

Zandra Shinto
All they have is each other.

Honestly, I really wouldn't care if it was friendship or love. It's both sweet and adorable.

But yeah, not likely to be a relationship because Sam was in love with Rose in the first place. Even said so while he and Frodo were on that rock when the volcano erupted. Then Frodo cuddled him. Aw.

BingaBonga
I have no problem with homosexuals, I mean it makes me a little uncomfortable to see them kissing. My point is, is that people make fun of them for being gay, and I don't think that's right. sad

Sifer
They take the piss out of them being gay because they don't have a friendship like that - That and the fact they are homophobes smile

Zandra Shinto
Goddamnit, so what if they're gay? That doesn't change anything besides for the fact that they love each other! And it still doesn't change anything because they still love each other whether it was a friendship or a love!

Zandra Shinto
Guess what?

What?

I hate homophobes. mad

Corlindel
..Funny thread huh

BingaBonga
I don't really like the way they think either. I think it's silly and immature. Just because someone is different than you in that sense doesn't mean you should dispise of them.

Gotwa
Homophobehater

Zandra Shinto
You're welcome. *sneers at Gotwa*

BingaBonga
Antihomophobe stick out tongue

Matrix_4_ever
wrer was frodo going at the end on that ship with gandlf????

kalantiaw
to the undying lands... i think...

Ass Goblin
To Valinor I think that is how it is spelt?

Oh and in the book Sam goes there too after rosie dies

Exa
To Valinor, the Land of the Gods (or Undying Lands) where usually the dead elves go...

eldarion
Is that (Valinor) where elves go, if they die on middle earth, to be reincarnated?

Exa
Yes

eldarion
Thanks smile

Ariadne
What was that whole thing with it being that last ship anyway? I guess they just added that to make it sound more important, but Sam definitely went too.

sauron
did he? oh yes

and anyway, read the damn books

Smodden
yes everybody read the books. find a way. go to the library. steal some! do anything read the books! please !

yeah sam also became mayor so many times too didn't he?

Kitoky
In the books Sam went with Frodo to Valinor too because they were ringbearers, Sam was for a short period.

sauron
he didit kit sam stayed behind, i remember this because merry and piipin appear to make sure he is not alone going home, plus he becomes mayor loads of times, 5 times if i remember rightly and he marries rosie and has 13 kids, the first being elanor i believe. he does indeed though go later after rosies death

Smodden
wait he goes to the havens? how i thought that was the last boat?
and is valanor the same thing as the grey havens?

sauron
no the grey havens is on middle earth, where the ships set off to valinor

Kitoky
Oh that's right! I forgot that, thanks Sauron.

And Valinor is a place away from Middle-Earth, and the Grey Havens or Mithlond, is only west of The Shire.

Smodden
so how did sam get to valinor were there elves left to aid him?

sauron
he took a ship

the one gandalf and crew were on was not the last, the films only said it was so people would think its more important, and think theres noway sam will see frodo again, making them sad. sadness im hollywood=big money

Kitoky
Very true, though it really was sad, I cried that I did.

Smodden
ah i see, but why would sam leave the shire? and his 13 offspring?

Kitoky
Sam left the shire 'cuz Rosie died, his 13 offpsrings are quite old now, and he would be quite old.

sauron
and after his first wife died he wanted to see his first true love big grin lol

come on youv all seen the jealousy whenever someone even looks at frodo < look out for it seriously, in fotr when he throws pippin off frodo, he never even looks at pippin his eyes never leave frodo

Kitoky
Well they ARE Soul mates.

aragorniscool45
i have a question, mabey i dont understand and it wont get through my thick skull but does frodo die? i read that book more than once but i still dont understand.?????

Exa
I am sure he died in Valinor, yes - living among immortal folk doesnt make you immortal yourself, I think.

aragorniscool45
oh okay because i wasent really sure because for some reason i though he came back.

Exa
Came back? No, he surely didnt. He wanted to live his remaining years peacefully and without his pain in Valinor.

aragorniscool45
yah thats what i thought. thank u.

Smodden
anyone know how old frodo lived?
also sam? he's crackin' just like that old bilbo.

Matrix_4_ever
ok so were is middle earth??? and y is it called middle earth ??

ps im not a real big fan of lotr so plz exues my n00bynes confused
Thanks!

fini
nah frodo was just over 50 when he went to Valinor (52 or 53 i think), considering he left the shire with the ring when he was 50.

Sam had to go to valinor, although not in the movie, he was a ring bearer for a very short time and allllllll the surviving ring bearers went to valinor, i guess to purge them of the evil.
But he did that after many many years( he was around a 100).

legolas and gimli went to Valinor too( i think with sam, someone clear that up pls). aragorn died, so did pip, merry, faramir, eomer, etc.

uh matrix 4 ever ,middle earth is europe, you see the elves left, the dwarves died out and so did the hobbits, leaving the earth to the RACE OF MEN. laughing out loud its MYTHOLOGY so dont take it literally.

Valar Melkor
Frodo Baggins of course went to Valinor (Undying Lands) with Gandalf the Maia, Elrond Halfelven, Galadriel, his uncle bilbo and many others. in rotk novel, aragorn never reaches the undying lands but perishes with his people in gondor (he dies of old age, but lives to quite an age-about
120); thus arwen dies of grief. gimli and legolas are the last of the fellowship to leave middle earth and go to the undying lands. In the undying lands the elves dwell, along with the maia and valar spirits and of course eru, the one. For full details see the appropriate appendix at the back of the lotr books.

Kitoky
Lalalalal, but guess what?? NAZGULS STILL ROME THE EARTH!!!!!!

PippinTook
READ THE FRICKIN BOOKS! IF YOU WOULD READ THE BOOKS, YOU WOULDN'T BE ASKING THESE STUPID QUESTIONS! Geez.

FreddieFreeload
No they don't. They perished when the ring was unmade.

Also, Aragorn lived to be 210 (but did die in 120), and couldn't go to the Undying Lands because no mortal was allowed to do that. Well, the hobbits did go, but that's probably because they earned the respect of the Maiar and Valar. It's not clear on why Gimli was allowed to go (or if he really did), but being the friend of an elf doesn't really explain it.

Izz
Are they really reincarnated? They go to the halls of Mandos (or something like that), but then they don't become alive again, do they?

FreddieFreeload
As far as I remember Elves killed by disease or in battle (or by other 'unnatural events') were gathered in the Halls of Mandos (where men also went) and taken from there to Aman (Undying Lands), the continent of which Valinor was a part.

Also, though I'm not positive on this, Glorfindel was killed in the First Age, and obviously there was a Glorfindel in the Third Age. If it is the same person (though I'm not sure, but believe it to be) he was one of the few, if not only, to return to middle-earth from Aman.

Matrix_4_ever
I DONT WANA READ OVER A 1000 PAGES TO FIND OUT 1 Fl_lCKING QUESTION!!!!!!! mad

PippinTook
Too bad. You should.

Kitoky
I know this....I was making myself feel better.

FreddieFreeload
Oh... you did??? *shock*
Of course you do, I've seen enough of your knowledge at work to conclude that you DO know stuff about LoTR.

Kitoky
Just a bit.

PippinTook
By the way, it's 1008 pages. Not including the appendixes I mean.

Lord_Andres
well s/he said OVER A 1000 PAGES didint s/he?

Lord_Andres
ment say

cermiestar
it is very important frodo left

Kitoky
PippinTook wasn't correcting him/her. Just informing.

PippinTook
Thank you Kitoky.

Exa
Yes he is the same,
Tolkien first wanted him to tell the people about his fight against the Balrog at the Council of Elrond but Tolkien "cut" that out.
He was allowed to return because he sacrificed his life saving the fleeing people from Gondolin
So he could say some wise sentences about Witchy love

BurnetteBeauty1
but why does he go there?

LOTRLuver
Hello All!

I am a HUGE fan but will admit I haven't read the books yet...

I saw ROTK yesterday and bawled a good 30 minutes! WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL movie!

Can someone please tell me where Frodo was going at the end? And what did he say to Sam when he was writing in Bibo's book (I think it was something about his finger? The guy next to me sneezed like 5 times and I missed the dialogue... mad

Also, is it true that Faramir and Aeowyn (sp?) are married in the book but Jackson didn't show that?

Also, did Aragorn EVER have feelings for Aewoyn or did he pine for Arawen forever?

Thanks!

Kitoky
At the end where Frodo and Bilbo go onto the ship, they're going with the elves to Valinor where they can live and die in peace. And also because they're ringbearers. Sam also went to Valinor after Rosie died.

When he was writing in Bilbo's book and Sam came in and Frodo was holding his chest, he was talking about how the wound from the Ringwraith dagger from FotR never really healed, and PJ got that right. Frodo's wound never really heals.

I was also disappointed when they didn't show alot of Faramir/Eowyn interaction. I hope they'll be showing more in the Extended Edition of RotK.

Aragorn DID have some feelings for Eowyn and he thought that Arwen going to Valinor would be better for her and Eowyn's here and he knows that she loves him but in the end he realized that his love was only for Arwen.

Elenelda
they will show the house of healing in the Extended version, but not the scouring of the shire.

sauron
i would go for eowyn over elf-nace-woman any day

LOTRLuver
Got it - thanks!!

PippinTook
There's already a tread on this. Go find it and save us the trouble of saying everything AGAIN. Plus, it's Eowyn, not Aeowyn and it's Arwen, not Arawen. Just read the books. They're really good so I think you'll enjoy them and you won't have to ask everyone about anything. You'll know yourself *smiles* You'll LOVE the books. I do.

Kitoky
Don't be so mean, be grateful that the question has been answered and we'll go on our way. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. Plus, it's Eowyn, not Aeowyn and it's Arwen, not Arawen. Now that's a bit mean right there, so what if they had a typo, they mean no harm.

orlandoOYEA
Im sure nobody meant any harm. Every one is just trying to get stuff straight. *smiles* He he he

fini
uuh how can u be a true lotrt fan if u haven't read the books????????????( yes i keep saying this over and over)

read the damn book

Ariadne
I have to agree with Fini. If you're such a big fan, why haven't you read the books yet? You've had several years since FotR came out. And if you read the books and see the names on the pages it will help with spelling.

hrh_jennifer
One of my favourite shots from the film, is at the grey havens when frodo turns back to look at his friends from the ship, with that lovely peaceful smile, does anyone know where I can get that still?

Exa
Oh no... I HAD this somewhere... shit... *cant find* *swears*

Thorondor
sorry but the only thing i dislike about LoTR is when frodo and sam have their "intimate moments"...it's so gay erm

nazgūl-lord
exa you need 2 merge your folders stick out tongue

hrh_jennifer
That's fine, you have your opinion, mine is that those scenes are really beautiful, I'm guessing you don't know where I can find the picture then?

nazgūl-lord
i'm searching for it

Thorondor
no it was a good scene but i just found it a little too emotional.

hrh_jennifer
I think if any small thing had been changed in that scene, it would have been too much for me too, but with everything that had happened before, and because i get very involved in films, it just broke my little heart and despite that/because of that, I love it!

Exa
If I do I will find them even less big grin too confusing.... so I at least know where to find some of them stick out tongue

Discos
erm, thats a very nasty comment Thorondor, nothing really gay about 2 friends parting....I mean after all they went threw, all the hell they devoured!

A.D. Skinner
So just out of curiousity...what would have been a better ending ? High 5's all around and Sam looking at Frodo and saying "Peace out G" ???

Camellia
Oooooh, you'll have Tolkien turning in his grave for saying that!!!
The whole point of their relationship is that it is NOT gay.

Discos
rofl, good god AD, that has to be the funniest I have ever laughed whilst on front of a computer (not the usual "lol" which is obviously not funny)

haha, high fives all round, peace out Gee......

Discos - classic!

hrh_jennifer
O.k. so anybody found the picture yet?

Discos
@cam, quite right, how dare you say these things! I know you are entitled to your own opinion but daamn!

Camellia
They are quite certainly NOT gay, despite what all these slash sites say!smile

They love each other, of course they do, but two men (or two women) can love one another and not be homosexual.

There, that's my explanation done for the daybig grin

shadowy_blue
What you saw in the movie were just even 45% of the intimacy that you will read from the book. I'm not saying that they're gay or nothing but just be happy that at least the movie toned it down a little bit for the sake of those naive and immature people.

Camellia
I don't think they should have.

Isilcal
sadI wish I could find it... hm.. *searches*

sauron
dude tolkien intended for them to have this 'bond' as you read through the book....they get closer and closer till they are nearly 'one heart and mind in two bodies....

they ARENT gay...and if having a close relationship....and being able to rely on and trust someone to that lengths is being gay....then so be it *phones boy george*

Discos
haha, dont get too carried away Mr Sauron, the books described the relationship in full-nongay detail, as Cam said I would have voted PJ included a further in-depth relationship as it would show Sam & Frodo's relationship more clearly and not frickin Gay!

Discos - yet another one of these discussions

hrh_jennifer
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to start another thread about Sam and Frodo's relationship, I just want that picture!

pip-foot
I couldnt find the picture you wanted yetm, but i found this cool pic smile

pip-foot
here's another cool one, not quite what your looking for though smile

pip-foot
ohh! lookie at this cool stamp smile

Thorondor
omg stop attacking me. i have my oppinion you have yours so just accept it.

Discos
who are you talking to?

Thorondor
all you moody sh*ts who are goin oh its so not gay and its a great scene.
I NEVER SAID IT WASN'T A GOOD SCENE...ALL I SAID WAS I THOUGHT IT WAS A BUT TOOOOOOOO EMMOTIONAL FOR MY TASTES!

Discos
Discos - looks like someone forgot to take their mood-swing pill this morning

Thorondor
sorry lol but my dad has just been PISSING ME THE F*CK OFF stick out tongue

A.D. Skinner
Thorondor...must I remind you that member bashing is frowned upon. This is the 2nd time that I personally have seen you degrading members here on KMC.

Please watch your posts, as well as your language.

sauron
OMG AD HAS TURNED INTO A SUIT!!!!!!!!!!

lol joking AD your my man! (not in that way!...)

Discos
way to go AD

Discos - yeah member bashing ist das bad! I am fed up of having just a lonely corner to myself....

A.D. Skinner
I can't take it no more !!! laughing

sauron
well i thought it would statte in a frendship way

as this thread proves people get mixed up

OrliNElijahsGrl
just because frodo and sam have this beautiful and very heart touching relationship doesnt mean they are gay, i adore frodo and sams friendship, its wonderful! Frodo agreed to take the ring to mordor, sam as a close friend of frodo decided to go along, frodo wouldnt of made it without sam, plain and simple, sam was there when frodo was becoming weak, and when they dealt with evil, sam was there to encourage frodo to keep going, despite what people want to say, frodo and sam have an incredible friendship and a deep bond! The friendship moments of frodo and sam are beautiful and very touching and they make me smile! Everyone needs a friend like frodo...or a friend like sam, someone who is always there

I am probably making no sense, but the close friendship between sam and frodo doesnt make them gay at all, but proves how much friendship should be appreciated and how people should have a friend who means the world to them and is there whenever they need them

GO FRODO AND SAM!

OrliNElijahsGrl
by the way, i love the scene where frodo slowly turns around on the ship and smiles to sam, merry and pippin, its incredible and very sweet, it made me cry though, out of happiness but also sad that frodo was leaving, but i was also happy to know he would be finally happy at the grey havens

Exa
also not the requested pic... il look for it again...

Exa
stick out tongue

Thorondor
ffs why cant you just accept that everyone has their own oppinion i have mine you have yours deal with it!

and i sensored the bad language so HA! stick out tongue

Camellia
We weren't having a go at your opinion - just the way you go about it.

Thorondor
what's the difference its still only my oppinion so it shouldn't bother anyone.

sauron
yeah its not your opinion that bothered me...it was jus tthe all you shits..... remark....

Camellia
Like we said before, we weren't having a go at you at first. We were just commeninting that they weren't gay.

Then YOU made a big deal out of it.

Camellia
hrh_jennifer: I am sorry, your thread is being overlooked here! I'll see if I can find a good pic!

Thorondor
because YOU were all whining about it anyway i cant be bothered arguing im not in the mood and i sensored my bad language!

sauron
her royal highness jennifer

sauron
censored...still used!

we were just saying they arent gay its not supposed to look gay

then you burst into your

all you shits who are whining

^^ THATS what starts the arguments....and then you deny it was you

Camellia
Censored or not, you still meant it. Now, anyway - back to the topic at hand. Has anybody managed to find a picture?

Camellia
Oh, and sauron - do you have ITV2? If so, turn over now!!! It's a 'making of' thing for RotK!!!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>