dod tolkien intend to write more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

aniron
I haven't read return of the king yet, but at the end of the film Frodo leaves space for Sam to write in his book, do you think Tolkien intended to make new adventures if the rings were succesfull enough.

Camellia
Well.....not exactly. He was in the process of writing The Silmarillion when he passed away. But also, in the History of Middle Earth (I can't remember which volume) there is TONS of material concerning Sam and his children as he reads from the Red Book!

Camellia
But I'm not really the person to ask - maybe you should ask Exa instead!

aniron
omg my mum is reading silmarillion now, how did he finish it then? if he was in the process.

Exa
... yes, he wrote a text with Sam telling his children about his adventures during the war of the ring (quite cute text... and he calls his daughter elanorelle or something like that smile ), published in one of the histories of middleearth. There is also another text taking place in the Fourth Age, called "The New Shadow", but it takes place about 100 or 200 years later and isnt connected to the fellowship anymore.

shadowy_blue
Tolkien wrote an epilogue that takes place a number of years after the Grey Havens with a focus on Samwise, Rosie, Elanor, and the rest of the Gamgee clan (12 kids). The epilogue ending is enchanting, and deals with Sam's relationship with his daughter, Elanor. She is excited because they have all been invited to meet with the King and Queen . . and, I believe, spend the summer with them. It's primarily a conversation . . but it is so clear that Sam adores the child that Frodo named. The ending has Sam and Rosie listening to the sounds of the sea on the shores of Middle-earth.

From HoME series:

I'm actually quite misty-eyed when I first read it. smile

Tolkien scrapped that alternative ending though and left with what we have today. smile

Smodden
very touching s-b......

orlandoOYEA
Indeed, indeed

shadowy_blue
Yeah..sad smile

Smodden
sam and frodo's bond was one of the best parts of the books for me.....they wouldn't separate ever....and then at the end frodo HAD to leave M:E...sam had to stay for frodo-las and rosie-las....and frodo went were sam could not follow....

orlandoOYEA
I agree, i loved their bond and when they split up i cried so long and hard. I love those two

Smodden
big grin

shadowy_blue
Sam's line in the movie "Don't leave me here all alone. Don't go where I can't follow" was already a foreshadowing of their separation. sad Frodo when he left for Valinor left Sam feeling like he can no longer follow him forever (though we know what happens), but Frodo certainly didn't leave him alone. smile wink

Discos
His son Christopher Tolkien edited the book on his father be-half

Discos - he is the reason it is dounbtful a Silmarillion movie shall be made...

Thorondor
Am i not right in saying that Sam travelled to Valinor when Rosie died?

that's what i thought happened

Discos
yes that is what happened, some years after rosie died i believe

Thorondor
yea thought so.

Discos
Sam also became mayor of the shire, or part of the shire I cannot remember, perhaps Hobbiton

Discos - you can see a mention of this in Frodo/Bilbos book in the end of ROTKsmile

Exa
He became it seven times stick out tongue

Thorondor
ahh stole the words right out of my mouth lol.

aniron
what book is that from, I'll get it for my mum on mothers day, lol she wants one and that sounds perfect and touching.

OrliNElijahsGrl
In the second draft of the Epilogue, it is the evening of March, 25, 1436. His elf-like, golden-haired daughter Elanor is celebrating her fifteenth birthday. They sit close together in the firelight as Sam writes notes for the Red Book.

She says it's sad that Frodo had to leave The Shire and her Dad. Sam replies it's not really sad anymore. He is blessed with a loving family and financial independence. Then he takes her hand, strokes her golden hair and says:

"And there is one other reason, which I shall whisper to you, a secret I have never told before to no one, nor put in the Book yet. Before he went Mr. Frodo said that my time maybe would come. I can wait. I think maybe we haven't said farewell for good. But I can wait. I have learned that much from the Elves at any rate. They are not so troubled about time."

Later that evening, Sam and his wife Rose stand at the door looking up at the stars. He kisses her and says he is blissful and content. "They went in, and Sam shut the door. But even as he did so, he heard suddenly, deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth."

That was absoulutly incredible, wow..that was very touching, and i got teary eyed just reading it, that was beautiful, thanks for posting that

aniron
hellooooooo????

Exa
Hello big grin

the text is from "Sauron Defeated", p 114

aniron
sauron defeated ok thanx

aniron
OMG EXA HI, hows ya welsh, did you see wales on the news about the floods, it was on sky news so it went to austrailia, includin my specific village.

Exa

aniron
my house was cool, I live on a high road, but these ppl who are trying to sell their house got totally flooded lol, and three guys had to be recued from a helicopter from a car.

shadowy_blue
Oh, aniron, sorry. sad I completely forgot about this thread I haven't answered your question. sad But Exa did!!! YAY!! Thanks Exa!! big grin big grin

sauron
lol shadowy blue....one last chance stick out tongue come off invisible mode

shadowy_blue
I did come off the invisible mode the other day but you guys left! sad So i went back to invisible mode again..but since you asked, wait a sec. big grin

sauron
yeyeyey its not nice not knowing wether yor thier..watching...waiting....its kinda spooky

aniron
invisible mode?

Exa
If youre in invisible mode you cant be seen as "online" in the forums or on the start page

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.