Passion of Christ DVD [Released Today 8-31-04]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fiery Eyes
PASSION OF CHRIST? how many of you did get it, will get it, or will not get it? and why? whats your thought and views on this?

SlipknoT
well I was going to get get it but I decided to wipe my ass with my money instead. On Another note, I got the Indiana Jones Box set for just $25 eek!

BackFire
I will never purchase, or see this glorified snuff film. It was boring, repetitive and totally lame.

I picked up "The Passion of the Jew" today. The best thing associated with "The Passion of the Christ" Pure satirical gold.

Cinemaddiction
Bought one for myself, and one as a gift for my parents.

ragesRemorse
Great acting. Superb adaptation from the Bible. everything about this movie was on key. The performances given were very emotional. however, this could not be a movie i could watch over again. Twice was enough for me, maybe at other points in my life i will watch this again, but i deffaintly couldnt buy it.

Stormy Day
Good flick but I just hate the fact that theres no special features.

SlipknoT
No Special featuresshock It was for some odd reason a blockbuster and they did put on special features?

BackFire
Well, if Mel Gibson does release a special edition in the future, it just proves that he did make the film soley for money, and not for "faith" and all that bullshit.

SlipknoT
Are there Passion of the Christ Action Figures and Lunch boxes?

Stormy Day
Just because a film made alot of money doesnt mean that why the director made it and so what if Mel liked the money,who wouldnt?His intention was too inform the money was just an extra.

Im dying for news of a special edition!

BackFire
And I say this because time and time again people say "Oh, Mel didn't make this movie for money, money is irrelevent, blah blah blah, I'm naive" ect. If he does indeed release a special edition AFTER releasing this normal edition, then it's obviously soley for money.

Cinemaddiction
Well, for the non cynical contingent, I tend to believe that with this release, he may have been focusing more on the actual movie. If the DVD is loaded with extras, it could easily take away from the quality of the film itself.

Boasting both DTS and Dolby Digital audio tracks, it's not that far fetched. Besides, when you take into consideration who will actually be buying this movie, the actual age group, extras probably aren't too important.

BackFire
How would including extra features along with what is currently on the DVD hurt the film in anyway? Makes no sense. It would just add more to the DVD.

Also, what special features do people actually want? Do people want running commentary by Mel Gibson? That would be really insightful - "In this scene Jesus is getting yelled at....oh, and this scene Jesus is getting smacked with a whip...oh, and now he's getting yelled at again...now that wierd guy who symbolizes satan is tempting him for the 4th time. Oh, now he's getting crucified. Now he's getting yelled at again....oh, he died....and that's the film, hope you enjoyed it".

Or perhaps people would like some behind the scenes featurettes. Because it's always funny to hear Mel Gibson turn any conversation about the film into self lavish and praise to help him push his bullshit agenda down everyones throat.

Special features aren't necessary. Unless they somehow get Trey Parker and Matt Stone somehow do a running commentary for the film...that would be great. I'd actually watch it again for that, and it might make the film entertaining.

ragesRemorse
If Mel banked the entire budget from his pocket. Also considering that making the movie could have tarnished and black balled his career and reputation. I dont think money was a driving aspect behind this film. You also have to know about Gibsons life. I mean the dude was beaton brutaly, his face was severly disfigured, he almost died. He joined the circus for a while and tottaly renounced his faith. He quit the circus and went back to his hometown.

At his lowest point and contemplating suicide, he sought out God ounce again. His priest who was very close to Mel restored his faith back in God. Mel joined the church to become a priest. over the years he studied the Bible through and through. His priest friend had collected money from the town and raised enough from fund raising to send Mel off to get the most advanced plastic surgey. He did so, and his face was completly transformed. After Spending one more year at the chrch, he moved to California where he ultimately fell into acting.

The guy has very strong beliefs,and has always made that known. He has never been scared to say that he believes in God. He never preached his beliefs on other people like movie stars do rather they be political or religous. Even with making this movie, gibson never tried to preach or impress his beliefs on people. He merely made a recreation of a scene from the Bible. He did it nearly Word for word, and diddnt include any self opinions or beliefs. I respect the guy alot for this. He always gives back to everyone, he even gave back to the studio's that just thought about funding the Passion.

Cinemaddiction
Of course it does. I would say it if I didn't know what I was talking about.

You can compromise the quality of the picture itself when you use up a solid portion of a DVD's lines of resolution, which is typically 500. Being a mostly audibly narrative movie, it's not that hard to believe that being someones grand invisioning of something they hold so dear, and having put their own money into it, they would want the movie itself to transfer as cleanly as possible. Audio and video.

What's with the hatred for Mel Gibson? I don't see the harm in someone using their celebrity for the GOOD of their convictions. Especially when they fnd the project themselves. It's a beautiful movie.

Here's a good DVD review that supports what I was touching on, in regards to the resolution/compression ratios.

Link

BackFire
The solution for the whole resolution thing is simple. Do what most other movies do....one disc for the movie and one disc for special features. BAM! - Problem solved.

I'm sorry, but I have no respect for a person who claimed that his wife was going to hell because she believes differently than him. He said this in an interview.

SlipknoT
Is There Going to be a Sequal?

Cinemaddiction
Well, aside from not once saying she was going to hell, what would it matter to you? No offense, but religion clearly isn't your thing.

Here's the article...

Protestantism is kind of like mixing Catholicism, which is already like "Christianity-Lite" with whatever religious sects YOU want. That's not what it is about.

BackFire
Yep, and by believing in a religion that states that anyone who doesn't believe what they belive is going to hell, in which case his wife is going to hell according to his beliefs, he's just as responsible and stupid as the religion itself. Just because he worded it kindly doesn't mean that it makes it okay. He still chooses to believe in a religion that condones this. If he really didn't like it he should not believe such nonsense. "Anyone who doesn't believe what I believe is going to be tortured horribly". There was another group that believed this, they were called Nazis.

Protestantism isn't anymore lazy then any other religions. They are all lazy and silly. Look at Christianity, it uses scare tactics to get most people to believe. "If you don't believe what I believe, you are damned to hell where you will be tormented and tortured for all eternity by the God who 'loves you'". They take the easy way out by doing this.

The only religion I have any respect for is Budhism. No scare tactics, no criptic nonsense, no prejudice beliefs saying that anyone who disagrees with you is going to hell forever. Just be a good person, be kind to others, and respect people, and you will be rewarded. Wow....it makes so much sense.

And you're right, religion is not my thing. I use logic, common sense, and intelegence to guide my views, not an ancient, prejudice book that preaches bullshit through stories that has no place in todays society and that should not be taken literally.

ragesRemorse
you are taking his words out of context. first of All the Catholic religoun says the way to Heaven is Jesus Christ. all you need to do is ask him into your heart and acknowledge him as your savior, and pray for your sins.It doesnt seem to me that Gibson was saying he believes that his wife is going to hell.

It appears to me that he acknowledges what the bible says about these things,and stood on her side in defense of this. God knew that the ten commandments were to much to ask of man, this is why he sent Jesus to us, as a bridge to him for the sins we would undoubtfully commit. I'm not tryin to preach. It is just The guy believes in God with all his heart, He has Put God and his Faith above all else. He has convictions and beliefs, and has the strength to stand behind them. there is nothing wrong wtih that, i mean this kind of devotion, and discipline is somthing most people lack today. you see to many people who believe in God and the catholic religoun. Believe in it with all their heart. their is no doubt of wheather or not there is a God, a heaven or a hell. Faith and god is eigther more important than anything, or is one of the most important things. these are beliefs that require us to stand behind them,not because a book tells us we have to, but because we choose to. Yes i think the Bible is taken to literally on certain points. Again though, The Bible is the way, to many people, the answer and the question, it is the light, so they put this above all else. I look at this kind of devotion and discipline to be the best person you can be while following Gods word even if it means you must sacrifice great things to you, to be honorable.

So if i believe and follow Gods word, i do not live my life with common sense or intelligence?

Cinemaddiction
Well, a "religion" such as Buddhism, who apparently have no repercussions for wrong doing isn't a worship I'd wish to be a part of, personally.

I'm sorry you don't accept Jesus Christ, or the teachings of the Bible, and that you feel the need to denounce something that more than likely never influenced you in either way, just because you don't "believe" in it.
Just seems you do it to spite others, angry for no reason. What are your convictions? Though, I would like to bring to your attention that there are PLENTY of instances where the "bullshit" in the Bible has come to fruition in today's society.

Clovie
no, thank you.
i saw it already and i would prefer not to see it for the second time.

BackFire
"reprocussions for wrong". I have no problem with a belief that has reprocussions, I just don't think they define what is "wrong" properly. According to the bible, being gay is wrong, as is believing in another religion. I just don't accept that. That just seems mean to believe that someone deserves to be tortured for all eternity because of their sexual orientation or their beliefs. While I don't accept or respect Christianity, you'll never see me making up beliefs saying "well if you're christian you deserve to be hurt really badly". I have a fundamental problem with beliefs liek that. They serve no purpose.

Reprocussions for killing, raping, or hurting people are fine, you know, the big things that actually matter in the world. But there are just so many things in teh bible that I think are just plain wrong. Being gay should not be a sin, that is stupid. Believing in another religion should not be a sin. If you believe in anything, and are a good person, that should be good enough.

What has come to fruition? Don't kill people? Don't steal? Don't hurt other people? These things are the only things I really agree with in the bible. The main things. It's just too bad that so much hateful crap is also in there.

"So if i believe and follow Gods word, i do not live my life with common sense or intelligence?"

Not if you blindly believe everything some book says. I prefer thinking for myself. Like I said, some things in the bible I agree with. But there are too many things I think are fundamentally wrong and hypocritical.

ragesRemorse
god knew that man could not and would not be able to follow a life according to the ten commandments, which is why he sent us Jesus. Jesus was the way for us to be able to commit sin and still repent for them of prayer through Jesus, because Jesus is the bridge between man and god. Jesus gave his life for all of the sin that man commits. I think many refferences in the bible are metaphors. Of course no man can live their life completely by the word of God. No man can live their life without doubt of a God. this is human nature (doubt). God created man,but stil did not forsee the extent of human anture. this is why humanity was destroyed numerous times. God finally decided that he would allow us to destroy ourselves and make our own decesions,but show us the way with the Bible and Jesus.

If you take the Bible as literal as it makes you believe you should, you wil miss out on life. I think the best we can do as people and Chirstians is live life as best as we can and repent for our sins and ask for forgivness. If you are not religous, then simply acknowledging your wrong doings is the same. no one knows how God judges, i perosnally dont beleive if you life a decent life, but dont beleive in the Bible or Jesus you will go to hell

Cinemaddiction
What I was saying though is if Buddhism doesn't belief in punishment, how can they reward good behavior? According to the Bible, yes, homosexuality is a sin. I would think that the human anatomy would kind of tell you that homosexuality was never intended, but that's me.
You do understand that today the Bible isn't taken word for word, given it was written so many years ago? We were given free will, but not the negative influences that turn free will into a sinful personal gratification.
Not every sect of Christianity claims that if you practice a different religion, you're going to hell. I don't go to church, as I feel that organized religion is a sham, and a personal relationship with my lord and saviour is a lot more beneficial and meaningful.

The prophecies I was speaking of that have come to light include the last days, with direct links to terrorism, plagues, famines, etc. You research 'em, and they'd blow your mind.

Like I said, the Bible doesn't come without it's hypocracy and contradictions, but a lot of us don't take it word for word, either. It's not being selective in how we apply the preachings, it's just that common sense would tell you that a lot of it is indeed outdated, while a solid portion is still applicable to today's society. I'm not condeming you to a life of eternal damnation for not accepting Christ into your life, I'd hear you out, and ask you to leave the door open, because one day, when you're in dire straits, there may be a time when you need him. Of all the times I have been saved, not one of those times could I have possibly helped myself. And no, luck had nothing to do with it.

Hope I made some sense to you. Just know we're not all brainwashed bible thumpers, and that we are capable of independent though. big grin

Mr Zero
I was very keen to see this and was more than a little impressed with Mr mels commitment to what i presumed was a genuine one-from-the-heart project.

And then i saw this

http://www.sharethepassionofthechrist.com/

And now he can kiss my ass - I will watch this film, but only if I can borrow a copy on DVD because he's not getting a damn PENNY from me.

BackFire
Well, as I said, Budhism does punish truly bad behavior, with Karma of some sort. I think doing good deeds and living a good life is reward in itself, and if you do good deeds just so you can go to heaven, then you're doing them for the wrong reasons.

And I'm glad to hear you do no take the bible word for word CA, it comes as no surprise to me. But you do understand that A LOT of people do? Hell, just take a little view of some of the threads in the Philosophy forum, there are plenty of them there. And I think that it's hugely dangerous to take it word for word.

And I'm in the process of reading the bible for the first time. So hopefully I'll see those things you mentioned soon enough.

I agree, the big parts are applicable in todays society. Be a good person, love your neighbor, ect. I'm glad to see you recognize that it's not perfect, because I think that's important.

I know, not all Christians are brainwashed, I didn't mean to make it sound as if that's what I thought. I just mean to say that I think it's dangerous and inapropriate to take it exactly word for word.

Anyways, CA, you, and Christians like you are the ones I have no problem with. It's the literal ones that preach to everyone about how if they don't believe what they do, they are damned to hell.

Mr Zero
If you take the fact that not being able to pro-create as a sign that homosexuality was never intended then do you also take the fact that you cant get your hand pregnant as a sign that you arent supped to beat off?

BackFire
Well, is masterbation not denounced in the Bible too?

BackFire
*waits for someone to say "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" so I can murder them*

ragesRemorse
yep, not supposed to waste that seed.

BackFire
Psh, if that's the case then I'm going into the deepest depths of hell, along with anyone who didn't get poon in high school.

That's just something else that's silly. It's not like you don't produce more seed.

Mr Zero
My first reading of the good book was age 7 so I didnt get much out of it. I'm on my second way through - but it's taken me all year to get to the end of Deuteronomy so i doubt I'll finish it much before the end of next year.

I may post a poll asking how many people have read it cover to cover. I'm always shocked just how few people have read the thing.

BackFire
Well, I never was really into religion, my parents never pushed it upon me, even as a young boy. I've been to churce once in my whole life, and even then I didn't see hte point of it. So I never had an interest in reading it. Just now am I finally starting to get interested in religion and the lot, so it makes sense for me to read it now.

And to be fair, I can see why so few people have read it cover to cover, it is a very difficult read. With all the cryptic slang, and the old school termonology and use of the english language, it is pretty difficult sometimes. Especially for me, since I read usually before I go to bed when I'm somewhat tired. You pretty much have to read it when you're wide awake, because it's like work.

Cinemaddiction
It's no surprise to me. They are merely tie-in's with the movie, that were actually out before the movie even hit theatres.

This is just good ol' pop culture mass marketing at work.

I know a lot of people do take it word for word, subsequently forgetting that times change. I'm glad that there's nothing in there that suggests slavery is good for the economy, heh. Thanks for understanding, and hearin' me out.

As for masturbation..eek! ..the act itself not covered in the Bible, as it basically falls under "adultry". Now, if you "do the deed", and think of an inanimate object, like, oh, say a table..I think you're scott free.

Mr Zero
I'll let you know how that works out for me.

BackFire
haha.

"I know a lot of people do take it word for word, subsequently forgetting that times change. I'm glad that there's nothing in there that suggests slavery is good for the economy, heh. Thanks for understanding, and hearin' me out. "

No problem, my friend. Sorry if you took anything I said as an insult in anyway. Never meant anything against you personally.

Mr Zero
group hug.

BackFire
Not wise, Zero. I haven't gotten any in a few days...and I'm not picky...

Mr Zero
this might help

SlipknoT
hey, theres always Ms. Hand wink

BackFire
I got bored of her.

BackFire
Hahaha!

SlipknoT
laughing

SaTsuJiN
Just good ol pop culture.... erm.. who is going to walk around with a christ nail hanging off thier neck... I think walking around with a crucifix is tacky enough. then they have the nerve to have mugs and other trinkets.. mel gibson just whored jesus for cash with this film. its really sad, and ultimately sacreligious. While Im sure the film is powerful, Im just displeased with the director and his huge wad of cash he had jesus dance on the crucifix for.

As for the religions getting to the point of saying "if you worship another religion you're gonna burn in hell" etc. I find that rediculous as well. I've had this friend online for like nearly 5 years.. and lately he has got into his 'born again christian' faith (when in reality he's just been brainwashed with starbucks coffee, krispee kremes and live concerts), and proceeds to call all other religions false, "King James bible is the one truth" blah blah... I totally think you've disgraced your own religion when you mock others'...but thats just my view. I hope starbucks and krispy kremes dont brainwash all your friends the way it has for mine... I miss how he used to be.. sad

Mr Zero
See now THATS some merchandising i'd buy... wheres THAT T-Shirt?

botankus
Everyone should have seen this one coming. Thread #11,342 supposively about The Passion but it gets "hi-jacked" immediately into yet another tiresome religious squabble. You guys have fun.

SaTsuJiN
well botan, if you read the entire thread it was about the movie til we saw this junk posted : http://www.sharethepassionofthechrist.com/
naturally... we had to become disgusted and vent our irritated feelings of the mel gibson version of "riding the license" which in this case would be riding the christ.. /sigh

I would really prefer the opinion of this movie from a non-church goer as it seems to dance away from the fact that its a movie (since its a religious character/person/ideal etc. they tend to give it a 2 thumbs up right off the bat)

botankus
That is the part of promoting a product that I don't have a problem with. If someone wants to spend their money to buy a product (even if it's a coffee mug) to show their support for what the product is representing, I'm fine with that.

The part of promoting I can't stand (and I could talk about this for hours because I hate it so much - but I won't) is the forcing of a product on a consumer, treating them like mindless individuals. That form of pushing (and most movies are guilty of it but hey, they have to get the word out somehow I guess) is involuntary on the part of consumers. Trailers are a good example of this.

Like I said, I could debate product pushing for hours but I won't.

As you can see in my signature I am pushing a message to everyone reading this post that they too should be interested in a fireman putting out a wildfire near a swimming pool, especially if there's a helicopter flying overhead.

trav6612
I think it is a must to buy, it made me look at our saviour in a way I never have before. It was powerful.

Cinemaddiction
I would. I don't see the harm in someone offering a few trinkets related to a movie with such a universal appeal. It's a way of showing your support and willingness to promote something you appreciate.

This movie wasn't about money, and only people who are too stubborn to understand the power of conviction would hold such an opinion. Gibson shelled out $50 to produce and promote the film himself. He himself will take about $300 M of the $650 M the movie made worldwide, in addition to 10% of the merchandising earnings.

The reason I shared that is for those of you who thinks he stands to recieve ALL the money generated by the movie, which certainly isn't true, and may invite you to open your minds a little and accept the possibility that someone may have actually made a movie to share a personal passion.

Mr Zero
You honestly don't see how disgustingly tasteless a silver nail pendant is? A bible case with a "passion" nail zipper pull?

I find it offensive and i'm no Christian.

Can I put you down for one of my "mel gibson whored jesus for cash" T-shirts?

Cinemaddiction
Atleast they didn't issue "Passion" car flags, and no, I personally would take a spike pendant over a drab cross anyday. Besides, if he were indeed out to make a lot of money off of these items, why aren't they available at retail?

BackFire
That would probably be a little TOO tacky. stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
ugh, that whole site was sooo tacky.. yes let me get a NAIL keychain which resembles the ones that held jesus so sturdily on that crucifix for many a day.. ugh.. as for supporting something... mel made more than enough money.. he doesnt need extra from people buying nails and bloody jesus pics.. Im starting to lose sight of what is and isnt tacky at this point... its rediculous

heres the store locator... :gets ready to buy his 'nail': http://www.sharethepassionofthechrist.com/locator.htm

Fiery Eyes
Wow, awesome response!!! smile

lil bitchiness
Ok, I liked this movie, but it isnt the one i could watch over and over again, because its so...bloody and hard to watch.

Fiery Eyes
Yes, i think its must buy too. I would like to see it for a 2nd time, but I mainly bought it to let others watch it that haven't got to see it.
It was a very powerful movie and my whole outlook on Jesus changed as well. It was truly an amazing movie. smile

Not everything in the bible is suppose to be taken literal, i don't thk. Jesus uses parables all the time to explain what he's talking about. I also don't thk you can tell one person their going to Hell cuz they don't attend your church. If they have prayed to the Heavenly Father and asked for forgivness of sin in Jesus Name, according the the Bible they are saved, doesn't matter what denomination you are. smile

Cinemaddiction
A nail is a lot more personal than a cross, and that's probably what is to be conveyed by such a piece. You're right in your claims that Mel doesn't need any more money. You'd have a valid arguement if these pieces had promotional gimmicks scribbled all over them. Instead, they are merely companion pieces with relation to the movie.

I'll say it again, because it seems a lot of people have yet to grasp this, but the jewelry is nothing new, neither are the book covers, mugs, music scores, inspirational literature, or calendars. This stuff, while not bearing the "Passion" namesake, has been sold in Christian bookstores for decades. Why is it such a surprise now?

Did you people have this big a fit when "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" came out with shirts, underwear, socks, swimming trunks, hats, t-shirts, candy, lunchboxes, drink glasses, flatware, checkbooks, costumes, toys, cereal, toothbrushes, etc?

I didn't think so, so wheres the validity of your arguement here? Just because it's Mel Gibson, and you can't appreciate the fact/possibility that someone felt like sharing a personal belief?

That's whats "ridiculous".

Fiery Eyes
Agreed.

Arachnoidfreak
The Passion of the Jew is out the same day!!

BackFire
Yep, I picked that up! Great stuff.

Mr Zero
Further merchandising ideas that Mel might want to look into now that the passion has hit DVD. No reason why not - after all it's just a movie same as Star Wars.. Right?

The Christ action figure with realistic welts and blood. Squeeze his stomach and see the blood of the lamb flow!!!! Watch out for the special "crown of thorns" variant figure.

Roman centurion with *whipcrack* sound whipping action!

Coming soon Golgotha hill with wood-effect cross and push-button "sounds of lamenting".

SaTsuJiN
lol zero http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=168045

tacky passion toy of the moment idea : My-size cross for kids of all ages, chain the cross to your leg and drag it up a hill nearby to relive the film! big grin

DirectorFitz
geez how blasphemous can u guys get?

cal31
well the dvd just sold 4.1 milion copies on the first day, so it will probably end up being one of the most popular dvds of all time. Bash Mel Gibson if you want to saying he did it for money or what ever, but don't bash the crucifixtion part of it or anything anything that are the beliefs of Christians like myself, and don't make the stupid wisecracks about the toys, its disrespectful and is blasphemy.

Mr Zero
My opinions are my own, if you dont like them - move along.

My merchandising toy ideas are no more offensive than the official ones. which is to say pretty damn offensive - thats the point... if any of the righteous could tear themselves away from the official "this is a wonderful movie" line for a second to question why Mel felt it necessary to sell replica NAILS they might see that this is no more than another sickening movie tie-in cash cow.

Except this time the opportunity is JESUS! Even for a country like America where the business of jesus is a real earner - this is sickening.

we all know what jesus thought of the rich.

CeO_v2
I wouldn't even think of buying it on DVD. For me it's the kind of movie you don't wanna see twice, good movie.

BackFire
Hahahaha

cal31
There are countless numbers of paintings of Jesus in stores that many people buy, so do you call that cashing in? The memorabilia goes deeper than the movie, which goes for the movie as well, it's not just a movie, it's the story of Jesus' suffering which is the basis of Christianity. So to many people the nails and such are personal reminders of what He did for them on the cross.

BackFire
Surely you can see the difference between a tasteful painting and a replica of the nails he was crucified with. That would be like "supporting the jews" by having a swastica painted on your forehead.

cal31
Um no not quite, a swastika is a simble of the persecution of the jews, hardly nails representing Christ dying for your sins.

Cinemaddiction
Like I said before, a replica spike on a necklace seems a little more personal than a cross. Besides, these things are only sold in Christian bookstores to an EXTREMELY limited amount of people.

BackFire
And the spikes could easily represent the persecution of Jesus Christ for his beliefs. Either way, it's horribly tacky.

cal31
Yeah, I guess it all depends on how you take it, I for one think it's fine.

xs-
p

DirectorFitz
I bought one, and i wear it, it can be taken by two ways: Either supporting Mel's vision, or seeing the nail as an encompassor of your sins, how they were put upon Jesus for your eternal life....but that's my opinion as a christian, and i'm not turning this into a religious discussion.....anyways..i see it as both of those....because I definetly support Mel's vision

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.