Discussion:The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BadKitty
September 2004 book of the month

The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/9765/Copyofscrewtape.jpg

All discussions related to this book should be in this thread. To keep readability of posts, there is no need to use spoilers in your posts unless you feel it is absolutely necessary. Anyone reading the posts in this particular thread must be aware that they may contain spoilers about the plot and characters of the book.

Mr Zero
I intend to re-read this book now, but my hasty thoughts about it from previous readings (just to get the thread going) start back before I first read the book. I remember thinking "Letters from one devil to another! Fire! Brimstone! Blood! Excitement!" So on reading the first letter the thing that struck me was that Screwtape is polite, refined, and quite charming. His wickedness is mundane, his advice practical - it's Evil on a petty scale.

Genius! - because even if at first it seems less important than the grand idea of the war for souls being filled with drama it allows CSL to present his case* couched in terms we can understand quite simply.

Not only this - the reversal of Screwtapes advice (which is what we would be expected to follow to be good Christians) would sound very preachy and picky if laid out as a set of minor "do's and don'ts" - but arguing the other side, playing devils advocate - CSL manages to point out where the smallest slip can lead to the souls ruin without any soapbox moralising. Add to that the fact that Screwtape is a witty devil and writes a very entertaining letter & we can discern what a clever chap CSL was.

On top of this already worthy structure CSL manages to comment on not just matters of the moral soul, but also bring in a more general social satire of the "rich, smart, superficially intellectual, and brightly sceptical" set and finally presents us with a book that is not just about the Christianity but about mankind in general.

The lesson is not just a Christian one - the message is that unkindness leads to petty cruelty which in turn leads to inhumanity. And Satan aside - if mans inhumanity to man isn't the definition of evil then what is?

big gay kirk
Petty cruelty is far more damaging than the "big evil..." if only because it is ignored, and taken for granted a s"the way things are..." I've been looking for my old copy, but can't find it!!! I remember lending it to a sort-of-girlfriend and I don't think I've got it back.... down to the bookshop this weekend!!

BadKitty
I couldn't find mine either..I haven't been to the book shop in awhile,I think screwtape is a staple for my collection so I must buy it smile

shaber
Lewis certainly had the problems with our government and education system well sussed (referring to Screwtape proposes a toast )

Mr Zero
a whopping 28% of the vote and nobody has anything to say on Screwtape? Shoddy.

BadKitty
I know sad I'm guilty myself...I had to order the book and the library that had it the last time I read it sent it to another library...though I still hope everyone gets a chance to read this great book sometime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.