Iron Man Movie Discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Discuss the upcoming Iron Man film here. I will also post some past comments and oppinions on the movie.

Hostile
Anyone with a sharp tongue and a suave demeanor.

ScarletSpider
With what looks to be a fairly busy schedule for the next couple of years, I doubt Cruise will be in an Iron Man movie.

Arachnoidfreak
Tom would be a good choice for Tony, although there is probably better out there. I do think that his fame will bring additional people to watch the movie. I hope they don't **** it up, Ironman is one of my favorites.

TheFilmProphet
Good point.

ska57
Antonio Bandaras (I know I spelled that wrong) would be good.

Maelstrom
Ironman out of development. I really don't want to see an entire movie about getting used to the suit. What would be cool is to see him fight someone huge and fight some smaller guys through the movie, while making fly bys to the Avengers characters, sorta discussing his feats.
Someone adult looking and mature with black hair, famous would be a bonus. But I don't think Cruise is tall enough or debunair enough. He just trys to be. It would almost have to be someone royal looking.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah here it is Antonio Banderas. Anyway I think an unknown for the role would be good.

ragesRemorse
tom Cruise should never be considered EVER never EVER be conisdered to be a tony Stark. Tom Cruise Blows major ass. He is the same person in every movie. Like meel said. I think it would be useless to do an Iron man flick, and blow the entire movie on explaining the technology, Stark getting used to the suit, and finally showing Starks refinments on the suit. I mean serisouly. Fans dont want to sit through shit we already know. That is the downfall without alot of these comic flicks. With Iron man we want to see his strongest of energy blasts and some War machine action. If it wouldnt start from scratch in a linear story from the very beginning. I think it could work and be a decent damn movie.

Magee
I agree with that. And seing war machine would be cool lol, also maybe try and get some avengers in there?

Anyway i still stick to Antonio Banderaz for Tony Stark yes

Rhino
does anyone like this suit? (ultimate iron man) or do people like the original suit?

ska57
This is kinda off topic but yeah, I like Iron Man's original suits more than the Ultimates. The suit does look good (i guess), but I think the head is proportionately way too high.

Mane
i hate Ultimate IM's suit. it looks...almost too robotic.

ragesRemorse
ah i think it was a nice look for him personally. Somthing new that was actually thought out. nice design. For a movie though, it would have to be the Iron man we all know and love, Red and Gold.

Mane
of course.

ragesRemorse
the thing is though. Iron mans ultimate suit looks like somthing a movie studio would go with. Pretending the Ultimate suit was never concieved of, it would look like somthing hollywood would change Iron man into on film. So who knows what they will go with on design, i can pretty much bet that it wont be the conventional look.

Magee
Yea i prefer the ultimate iron man suit. It looks more real, as in u could actualy move in it. But u gotta stick to the classic for the movie.

manchichirtchit
i'm accustomed to the classic suit, but i always like to see new renditions of old heroes. the UIM suit looks lighter and more mobile than the classic IM suit. looks a bit like metroid if you aske me. and it eliminates the bulky deep sea diver look.

Predator 89
Antonio banderas looks like a good choice but i think Jim Caviezel from the count of monte christo would do a good job what do you guys think.

ragesRemorse
Wow, someone who has actually seen Count of Monte Cristo. I thought he was doin Superman though. Yeah i dont know, he can act so i guess that would be enough for him to play Iron man.

Spawnie
Yeah, that is actually a good idea, JIm could work. I thought about Antonio long time ago in a different IronMan thread.
Let's stick with what I grabbed just this mornin:

June 25, 2004: DarkHorizon's scooper sent in an e-mail which brought up a new possibile star for the film - Simon Rex. The former MTV VJ and star of such films as "Scary Movie 3", "The Forsaken" and TV's "Felicity" is currently starring in "The Karate Dog" alongside Jon Voight and Chevy Chase. Here's the specifics: "Rex is meeting with Marvel for "Iron Man" this month. He's been in talks for quite a spell. Reportedly Rex has the look, physique and chops that they want for the role. They seem to keep coming back to him apparently, so don't be surprised if he gets the nod". We'll keep you posted.

Oh, to comment the Ultimate suit, I love it no other words for it. The new suit is nicely done, and like Rages said it would be more plausible if the studio went for that design. Although I've seen the pic for the movie mask, and it was red and gold. Yes, they planned to make him like the original, not that I care cuz it's all the better, lol. If they don't have warMAchine in the movie then it's gonna sucky sucky for 5 dolla.

TheFilmProphet
Interesting but I'm not sure he could pull it off.

ska57
Woa, awesome sig TheFilmProphet!

TheFilmProphet
Thanks cool

ska57
lol You're welcome!

TheFilmProphet
Ok now moving on from my sig. What is your oppinion on the upcoming Iron Man film?

Mr Zero
No big star is going to want to do IM because they will spend most of the action with there face covered.

ska57
I don't really know what to say....seriously, they better not screw it up by putting MODOK as the enemy in it though.

TheFilmProphet
It all depends how much screen time they want to give the Iron Man suit and how long the film is.

Rhino
i dont think "seeing the face" matters...like spiderman...he fights with his face covered (excluding a few scenes)

ragesRemorse
their faces wouldnt be covered as much as batmans or spidermans face were. I hope they ont go with a big name star though

TheFilmProphet
How about this guy as Tony Stark? http://www.geocities.com/topaz08/uccloseup1.jpg

pr1983
thats the guy from the mummy right?

TheFilmProphet
Yeah. He also has a role in Resident Evil 2.

pr1983
thought so, physically hes fine, just wonder can he pull off the character

TheFilmProphet
Well I think he is at least a better choice than Tom Cruise or Antonio Banderas.

Paola
^ that's the Mommy himself? Imohtep? shocking

pr1983
no, the guy with the black war paint on his face, he wore the cloak

TheFilmProphet
Yeah and he plays Carlos in Resident Evil 2.

Paola
wow!!! I love that guy, never seen him without the "black war paint".
I must see RE2 big grin

TheFilmProphet
I think he is a perfect Tony Stark. I never saw him without the long hair until 2004. He also had a role in Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo. The reason I think he would be a great Stark is because he not only looks like the character but he has not been overexposured by Hollywood unlike actors such as Tom Cruise.

Paola
nice choice

mc pee pants
oded fer is his name i think. don't nkow about the spelling.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah Oded Fehr.

pr1983
as long as fer can act the part i think hed be great, he looks the part anyway, and as you said before hes not as overexposed as tom cruise

TheFilmProphet
Agreed. The bad thing is that movie studios, directors, etc. will probably never even consider him for the part. Most of the time they seem to go with the big stars who aren't right for the part and in result the film doesn't do well. One more reason Oded should get the part is because he would very inexpensive to hire.

pr1983
exactly, the millions they would spend on cruise they could use to make iron man's suit, sets and effects as good as possible.

TheFilmProphet
My thoughts exactly. If it were up to us fans almost every comic book film would have the greatest casts.

pr1983
it sounds great, but the arguments that would spring up would be immense, over the smallest thing, because we(the comic readers) would be the biggest critics, like whether it should be classic or ultimate iron man, should war machine be in it, who should the bad guy be? so many things readers would disagree about, only 1 solution, put me in charge...hehe

TheFilmProphet
Great solution but how about both of us in charge? evil face

pr1983
sure, we seem to have the same view on most of it, why not?

TheFilmProphet
Yeah all we have to do now is become famous wealthy directors and writers and we can do it.

TheFilmProphet
Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=4178

IRON MAN

In his aforementioned interview with Comics Continuum, producer Al Gough thinks getting one star into a suit of armor may be a mission: impossible. "'Iron Man' is circling. They were flirting with Tom Cruise for a while because he's always had an interest in the character. But now he's doing 'War of the Worlds' and 'MI3.' I think they're looking for the right combination to put that movie together. As you know, these things take much longer than any of us like."

pr1983
i think its a case of what you were saying earlier, no big actor wants to spend most of the movie with a helmet on

TheFilmProphet
http://www.mrflix.com/comingsoon/ironman_poster.jpg This is a promo poster real or fake just thought I would post it.

pr1983
cool either way, and thats the suit design id like to see on the big screen

TheFilmProphet
Same here.

pr1983
we should so be put in charge of that movie

TheFilmProphet
That would be a dream come true. What if we were put in charge of every single upcoming Marvel Comics film? evil face

pr1983
sweet, but i dont think ud want to be near me when i'm firing half the cast of xmen, other than that... rock

TheFilmProphet
Even Kelly Hu?

pr1983
no, she gets a private audition hehe

namely marsden(if he doesnt grow up) and i would have said berry but shes gone anyways

Mane
but Berry played a magnificent Storm. even though in real life shes just a big baby.

James Mardsen cursed Cyclops forever clapping...whatta cruddy actor...

TheFilmProphet
Yeah but only after I audition her first evil face

I would take out Halle Berry too but like you said she is already gone.

DarkCrawler
Only thing Marsden did in movie was to walk stiffly, the turn around and shoot a blast or two.

Oh, and cry against Logan's shoulder.

pr1983
other than berry and marsden (who looks 21 ffs, i mean im 21 and look older than he does), the rest were fine i thought.

TheFilmProphet
I just think Marsden looks a bit short for Cyclops but thats probably because both Famke and Hugh are six feet tall. I had problems with other cast members but its too late to replace them now I think.

pr1983
the whole height thing was a joke, the only xman taller than cyke is colossus as far as i know, cyke is supposed to be 6'5", and marsden is so small and girly(apologies to any girls reading). what other cast didnt u like (even though its too late)?

TheFilmProphet
Ian, Anna. Shawn, and Alan.

pr1983
mckellan was ok i thought character wise, but physically too weak

paquin, yeah, id get rid of her

ashmore is not carefree enough to be bobby

i thought alan cumming was ok, but id imagined nightcrawler being younger

TheFilmProphet
1. Ian was too old

2. Anna is nothing like the real Rogue

3. Ashmore doesn't seem physically capabe to be Iceman

4. Alan not young enough and not in any good shape.

pr1983
pretty much right there i think, the only thing was i thought ian nailed the character, you could bring in someone physically better, but would they play the role as well as ian does?

TheFilmProphet
I think Ian saved it with his incredible voice and the delivery of his lines.

pr1983
my thoughts exactly

TheFilmProphet
Anyone else we forget to mention?

pr1983
nah, just wait and see who the bad guy is in x3 am hopin (as unlikely as it is) to see sinister or apocalypse

TheFilmProphet
I think Blob and Pyro will be the only new additions to the bad guys unfortunately. Although I hope I'm wrong.

pr1983
so do i, but i think if were gonna continue we should do it in the xmen forum, but i gotta go, bye prophet

TheFilmProphet
Yeah at the X-Men forum. Bye

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet
http://www.toymania.com/columns/spotlight/images/mlima7.jpg

TheFilmProphet
http://www.htautographs.com/celebrity/images/f/fehr.JPG

leowyatt
i heard julian mcmahon who played cole turner/ belthazor/ the source
in charmed might play tony starks

Paola
isn't Julian in FF? huh

Mane
no2

leowyatt
nope he's in nip/tuck as a dr named christain

TheFilmProphet
Yes

Paola
TOLD YA!!! I read THE Prophet's posts! smart

TheFilmProphet
big grin

TheFilmProphet
SOURCE: SuperHeroHype!

October 18, 2004

Ghost Rider is now high on the priority list for the producers, with filming to start Down Under in January. Feige also mentioned that the new draft for Iron Man was just turned into New Line Cinema

TheFilmProphet
Great News!!

Iron Man Script Approved & Early 2005 Start
Source: IGN Filmforce
October 21, 2004

'Stax' at IGN Filmforce tells us that screenwriter David Hayter's latest draft of Iron Man has won over New Line and the studio is going out with it to directors to get the project started in early 2005:

Exclusive Iron Man Update
The status of Shellhead's movie!
October 21, 2004 - IGN FilmForce has learned that screenwriter David Hayter's latest draft of Iron Man has won over New Line Cinema and the studio is immediately going out with it to directors who can get the film up and running by early 2005!

Sources advised IGNFF that this draft of Iron Man is very Tom Clancy-esque in tone and involves the conflict between Tony Stark and his father Howard over Stark Industries. The Armored Avenger's origin has been updated from the Vietnam back story used in the comics.

Actors like Tom Cruise and Nicolas Cage have been mentioned for the project over the years but with Cruise now busy doing War of the Worlds and Cage prepping for Ghost Rider, New Line has several other movie stars in mind.

Iron Man is produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige of Marvel Studios, who are currently on the set of Fantastic Four in Vancouver, and Don Murphy of Angryfilms, who is also busy with DreamWorks/Paramount's live-action feature version of The Transformers, which is slated for a summer 2006 release.

mc pee pants
david hayter? the dude from metal gear?

crazyspinz
jon travolta should play stark, he was awsome in the punnisher, but i dont know if he is in good enough shape. eric banna would be good, but he is already the hulk. travolta would be cool.

who is iron man going to fight?

TheFilmProphet
Further Iron Man news

Woah! No sooner did I post about who is playing the villain than the latest news pops up that will make longtime fans VERY happy:

Both Jim Rhodes AND Bethany Cabe will be in the film.

Bethany will of course be Tony's love interest. This has been changed from the previous Millar/Gough draft that had Pepper Potts as the hottie (thank goodness!).

Posted by Vic on November 02, 2004 | 2 Comments on "Further Iron Man news"
Iron Man: Tony Stark's dad is the villain?

Things seem to be moving ahead on Iron Man. According to IGN FilmForce, the studio is sending the script out to directors who can get production going early next year.

Apparently in earlier drafts of the screenplay, the villain was going to be Iron Man's longtime nemesis The Mandarin (this was news to me, I hadn't heard it until today). Instead, the villain in the film will be Howard Stark, the military industrialist father of Tony Stark (who, for those of you who don't know, is the man under the tin suit).

I'm not sure how I feel about this... it might be a good thing. Unless they decide to put Howard Stark in a suit of armor (which would be a really bad idea) I can see a variety of technological weapons/devices developed by the elder Stark being what Tony (as Iron Man) must combat. Either that or a gang/army of "red shirts" in (hopefully) inferior suits of armor. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Early on in the development process it was revealed that Iron Man's origin will be "completely different" in the movie than the Vietnam War-era version presented in the comics. Previous Iron Man screenwriter Miles Millar advised Wizard Magazine that Tony is "not really in touch with where his money comes from, unaware that his wealth lies from weapons, and that history comes back to haunt him. ... It's a great arc for a character to begin with, this selfish reckless playboy, that in the end becomes a hero."

TheFilmProphet
Iron Man: Tony Stark's dad is the villain?

Click here for a new Iron Man fanboy happiness update!

Things seem to be moving ahead on Iron Man. According to IGN FilmForce, the studio is sending the script out to directors who can get production going early next year.

Apparently in earlier drafts of the screenplay, the villain was going to be Iron Man's longtime nemesis The Mandarin (this was news to me, I hadn't heard it until today). Instead, the villain in the film will be Howard Stark, the military industrialist father of Tony Stark (who, for those of you who don't know, is the man under the tin suit).

I'm not sure how I feel about this... it might be a good thing. Unless they decide to put Howard Stark in a suit of armor (which would be a really bad idea) I can see a variety of technological weapons/devices developed by the elder Stark being what Tony (as Iron Man) must combat. Either that or a gang/army of "red shirts" in (hopefully) inferior suits of armor. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Early on in the development process it was revealed that Iron Man's origin will be "completely different" in the movie than the Vietnam War-era version presented in the comics. Previous Iron Man screenwriter Miles Millar advised Wizard Magazine that Tony is "not really in touch with where his money comes from, unaware that his wealth lies from weapons, and that history comes back to haunt him. ... It's a great arc for a character to begin with, this selfish reckless playboy, that in the end becomes a hero."

Ok, now I can see changing the origin a bit to bring it up to date... maybe the Gulf or Iraq war, or having him as a businessman in a dangerous situation... but just how much are they going to change his origin? He's clueless about where his wealth comes from? Hoo boy. Disconnect the movie version from the comic completely, and as a standalone story it could very well work out great for those unfamiliar with the comic, but I have a feeling that longtime fans are going to get as bent out of shape as Spiderman fans did over those pesky organic webshooters.

Of course we Iron Man fans can be a forgiving bunch... if you just give us some really cool armor in the movie and stick to the fact that Tony Stark is as cool as James Bond and as smart as Jimmy Neutron, and you might not incur our collective wrath. :-)

Yeah, I know we're just a fraction of Spidey/X-Men/Superman/Batman fans, but we're tech heads, and you want tech-heads on your side in this era of internet movie marketing.

Lastly, using the Howard Stark angle brings in the possibility of a big name to play besides whoever ends up wearing the shiney suit.

Iron Man is set for a 2006 release.

http://screenrant.com/images/ironman1.jpg

TheFilmProphet
Nick Cassavetes Helming Iron Man
November 29, 2004

IGN Filmforce has confirmed that New Line Cinema and Marvel Studios have signed Nick Cassavetes ("The Notebook"wink to direct Iron Man for a Summer 2006 release.

Although Cassavetes is currently shooting "Alpha Dog," Marvel and New Line plan to begin casting immediately.

Based on the long-running Marvel comic book series, Iron Man is the story of Tony Stark, a driven inventor and executive who straps on billions of dollars in armor and weaponry each night to fight crime, terrorism and corporate espionage.

The project is based on a script by Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, and David Hayter.

pr1983
gough and millar sound good, but i dunno about Cassavetes, i havent seen the notebook

Havoc470
if he does direct it, i hope he doesnt center the movie on his alcoholism, alot of people have been more interested in tony starks alcoholism than ironman, at least from what i've read

pr1983
it is a part of the character, but you still goitta have kick-ass action.

it would be something to see him suck it all up and go out to save the world.

Havoc470
lol, yeah i mean you have to have balance though, i just dont want it to end up like pearl harbor or alexander, completely miss the point

it would be hardcore to see him suck up a bottle of johnny walker, put on his suit, and go outside and kick some criminal ass while he's drunk

pr1983
yeah, getting the balance is one if the most important things... i dont want two hours of him in aa class.

TheFilmProphet
I agree

ScarletSpider
I think, to go with the history Ellis is re-establishing, Stark should be a young man. He was 19 when he started developing weapons for the Government during Desert Storm (which has become, retroactively, instead of Korea or Vietnam, the conflict in which he was injured and became Iron Man). That would resonate better with the audience, we see a young man who has already acrued a great deal of bad karma selling weapons with carelessness. He gets what he has coming to him, but also invents a chance to create some goodwill in his life. This would work better with a younger person, than a haggard old coot.

TheFilmProphet
Actually I would rather see a 32 year old Tony Stark than a 19 year old. It just seems more believable in my oppinion.

ScarletSpider
Eh, perhaps. I think oftentimes we think of him as just a guy in a nice suit of armor, and not as the prodigy behind the tech itself. I think that him being younger would help out that angle to the character. That's just how I see Stark though, of course other opinions are always welcome smile

TheFilmProphet
I just think that its not very believable that we would have a genuis billionaire who is only 19 years old and is Iron Man. wink

Besides an older Tony would be much more true to the source comics than a teenager would be.

TheFilmProphet
Iron Man on Film
The armored Avenger goes Hollywood.
by Stax

April 17, 2005 - One of the many comic book movies currently in development is the big-screen version of Marvel's Iron Man. The project is set-up at New Line Cinema with Nick Cassavetes (The Notebook) attached to direct for producer Don Murphy (LXG, From Hell, Transformers). Here's an overview of the project's status.

"Being able to work with such an acclaimed writer/director as Nick Cassavetes to bring one of our pre-eminent super-hero franchises to the big screen is really special," Marvel Studios prexy and Iron Man producer Avi Arad said in a statement last November. "Nick grew up reading Iron Man and personally loves the character. He shares our vision of how to bring Iron Man to life in a way that will appeal to a mass audience as well as the core super-hero fan base. This deal with Nick marks the perfect way to launch our second big Marvel franchise with New Line, a studio that we have enjoyed a great relationship with in building the Blade character into a Hollywood heavyweight."

Iron Man, Arad added, "is a huge movie, with big action and incredible technology, but without understanding and loving Tony Stark, then all the money in the world isn't going to get you where you want to go. It all starts with the emotional mix."

The rumor mill has kicked into overdrive lately suggesting that the long-in-development hell pic may have suffered another setback with Cassavetes reportedly leaving the project. According to my trusty inside sources, there is some truth to these rumors but Cassavetes has not officially left Iron Man.

From what I've heard, his deal is in flux. Whether it's due to internal politics at New Line, salary or simply scheduling, I don't know and no one's talking (on the record, anyway). The studio had wanted Iron Man for a 2006 release but that possibility seems more remote now that we're a quarter of the way through 2005 and there's talk of the director jumping ship. We shall see ...

Iron Man has gone through a number of screenwriters, including Smallville's Miles Millar and Alfred Gough, but it was actor-turned-scribe David Hayter (X-Men, Watchmen, Black Widow) who penned the draft that finally got the project greenlit. Cassavetes is expected to polish the script further (should he still direct it).

The film's storyline will reportedly follow arms industrialist Tony Stark's moral awakening and his transformation into the titular superhero. Comic book characters we know for a fact are in the film are Stark's love interest and security chief Bethany Cabe and engineer/best friend Jim Rhodes (the future War Machine).

"The whole origin is completely different," Millar said in an interview last year. The film's Tony is "not really in touch with where his money comes from, unaware that his wealth lies from weapons, and that history comes back to haunt him. ... It's a great arc for a character to begin with, this selfish reckless playboy, that in the end becomes a hero."

While The Mandarin had been included in early drafts, Shellhead's arch-enemy was jettisoned from the current storyline (quite probably because he's so politically incorrect). Replacing him as Iron Man's nemesis in the film will be ... Tony's father, Howard.

Military industrialist Howard Stark is deceased in the comics but he'll be very much alive in the movie. While details of the father-son showdown are being kept top-secret, fans probably shouldn't expect to see Shellhead beating up an old man in a business suit. Secondary costumed baddies will likely be used as the main villain's cannon fodder.

There has been some concern, however, that Iron Man could suffer from the same plodding "father issues" that plagued the Hulk movie, considering Hayter also worked on that script. But it is precisely those "father issues" that are said to have appealed to Cassavetes, whose late dad John starred in The Dirty Dozen and Rosemary's Baby and directed such films as Faces.

As for casting, Nicolas Cage had long been interested in the project but ended up playing Ghost Rider instead. Leonardo DiCaprio was also rumored at one point. Tom Cruise expressed serious interest in the role ("He's a fascinating character," Cruise said in a 2004 interview) but that didn't pan out, either. That nevertheless hasn't stopped comic book artists from recently giving Tony Stark a Cruise-like resemblance. Bottom line: no one is attached to star yet.

Whether or not director Cassavetes is still aboard the film remains a matter of speculation. Should he drop out, there have been no reported replacements waiting in the wings. Iron Man fans like myself, however, remain hopeful that Shellhead will make it to the silver screen sooner rather than later.

http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=12678

GL SOLDIER
war machine owenes your favorite supourting hero

ayjay
it sounds like they're manipulating alot of elements, and I dunno whether that'll be healthy for the movie adaptation or not....it could work...people without any knowledge pr extremely littel knowledge of IRon would probably be satisifed.....but that whole bring back the father thing...hmmm....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.