things about starwars you may hate?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rammsteincia2
there arent that many that i hate but there are still some...

what do you hate??

queeq
Stupid SW polls. wink

robakin
Too much CGI in prequels

ASDRUBALDO

NoMeN
what I hate: everything

Darth Jayno
Roth? Hoth. yeah it did seem pretty rushed, he only had one real challenge though, to destroy vader. Only then would his training be complete.

I didn't like the idea of medechlorians in the PT(someone correct me on the spelling now) All of a sudden the force was scientific. The idea of the force in the OT was much better. I loved the originals, still do. The thread about the ESB being shite must be from a none believer, the ESB is the greatest of the star wars films, probably the greatest film ever.

Darth_Greg
I'm also not a fan of the Midichlorians and the midichlorian count. It just seemed to take some of the magic and mystery of the force that was established in the original trilogy. Take Yoda's line from ESB, for example: 'Lumonous beings are we, not this crude matter. (taps Luke's arm). Then compare that to Obi Wan in TPM: 'His (Anakin's) midichlorian count is off the charts.' The latter just doesn't have the same impact on me. I would have preferred to see the force draw its power from the ghosts of past jedi and force users, not tiny life forms in our cells. Who knows maybe the revenge of the sith movie will bring back some of the magic. Perhaps by some discovery that the midichlorian theory was in fact wrong. It could be part of the explanation for disapearring Jedi.
Anyway.....
I'm not a fan of the midichlorians, but it certainly didn't stop me from enjoying the movies.
Peace.

§pearhead
Jar Jar, TPM, unnecessary changes, GL and his need for moooooore money. Oh, and a trio of snubfighters taking out the SSD Executor? Bite me, Lucas, we both know that wouldn't happen.

Mace Skywalker
I don't really hate anything, besides jar jar.

finti
whining fans should have been an option

mephistodesigns
SERIOUSLY! good call finiti! laughing

mephistodesigns
yeah, I really don't think any of these things, which albeit some are annoying but they are minor, would get so blown out of proportion if it wasn't for whiny fans. Lucas said in one of the interviews on the Bonus DVD that he never expected these to be watched more than a couple times and never expected them to fall under such serious scrutiny. Some fans act like he has an Encyclopedia of Star Wars somewhere with all the rules and he somehow has broken them over the years. They are just movies, movies meant to be fun and relatively simple at that. To quote Indy, he's just "makin' this up as {he} goes along".

DarthLazious
Jar Jar Binks.

Jerico
The way i choose to think of Midichlorions, infact the only way in which it is even remotly acceptable is that Midicholorions do NOT make the force or give you super powers, but they are simply attracted to the force, so it is a way of measuring how strong someone is in the force, because they have attracted a large amount of these creatures sensitive to the force.

mephistodesigns
that IS the explanation of Midichlorians, they are cells that allow people to communicate with and use the force. They don't give superpowers like the metahumans in DC or mutants at Marvel.

Jedi Priestess
WOW I was all set to pick Jar Jar and then I saw Special Editions..........and that sealed the deal! eek! that wins hands down for me!

Jerico
No no that implies that they actually do something, the midicholrians don't do **** all, they just sit there. The only thing that they do is become attracted by the force and show up in force users, but they do NOT do anything.

darthbabb
ok i hate nothing, the cgi in the prequels are totaly neccesary, jar jar binks was just very clumsy and gave star wars a bit of humor, lukes training was not rushed he was being trained by yoda, plus he had a bit of training by obi, and sorry lucas made medichlorians and only he say what they can or cant do.

mephistodesigns
what was the line qui-gon said about them? didn't he say something about them helping Jedi communicate with the force? something about having no knowledge of the force without them or something? I can't remember, I haven't watched that one in a while... I hope you're right. That is better.

Red Superfly
"Constantly whisperring to us" or something.

I'm kinda shocked Anakin didn't freak out when he finds out he's full of them and go "OH MY GOD! Get them out of me! They are inside me, under my skin, they're everywhere!"

Forget his mixed emotions and the death of his mother - his turn to the darkside is clearly because he's full of creatures whisperring in his head. That'd turn anyone mental.

And, I bet by Episode 3, the Jedi find out they aren't midchlorians at all, and are in fact, parasitic worms similar to maggots. They then find out that they need to have a wash in order to get rid of them.

This would explain why Anakin (a dirty little slave) and Jedi (dirty robe wearring hobos - especially Yoda) are so strong with them.

Ho ho, it would be funny if Obi-Wan confronts Anakin in Episode 3 and it's like:

Obi-Wan: "Anakin......."

Anakin: "What?"

Obi-Wan: "Bath time"

Anakin: "I don't wanna"

Obi-Wan: "You must......."

Anakin: "Or what?"

*Obi-Wan gets out a hair comb and beats his hand menacingly with it*

Anakin: "No, no more spankings! Bow down to the Vader!"

Jerico
Hehe, could be.

The way Qui-Gon explains it is balls, so i choose to ignore it (infact i can't even remeber my mind blocked out the painful memory) They way to think of it is that Qui-Gon was simply explaining it the way he did because he was speaking to a 9 year old child, keeping it simple.

mephistodesigns
That's a good way of looking at it. Its got to be a point of view thing right? wink I kinda blocked that too... I remember the first time I saw that scene. "Mr Qui-gon sir, I was wondering...what are midichlorians" and I'm just like holy crap they've turned an episode of star wars into an episode of mr. wizard!

Jerico
One other thing and i hope to god they don't mention it in Episode 3, the 'every stormtrooper is a clone' bullshit. Out of the however many billions of people in the Empire for some reason every shock trooper has to be a clone

Citizen1: I'd like to be a Stormtrooper please!
Recruiter: No sorry, you have to be a maori.
Citizen1: A what?
Recruiter: You know, a native of New Zealand...
Citizen: Oh. *joins rebellion*

Gundark
What finti said. laughing

Lord Shadow Z
I hate the prequel films for Star Wars, they totally destroy the three films GL made first. They don't have the adventure, the class or the lastability( not to mention the scarceness of real actors and surroundings). How can fans of the new films not recognise the complete disregard that GL has shown, chopping up and changing the originals to make it fit with the new ones and doing that just to make more money( hasn't he got enough already?). Okay, the Special Editions didn't change all that much but the new 'digitally re-mastered' versions take the piss, and why release these new versions when he hasn't even finished the third one. What if he does something in the third one that doesn't fit with the originals, then he'll change the originals again and so on and so forth. And what if he wants to release Special Editions of the prequel films, adding more senseless garbage to the story and raking in money for churning out the same product for his whole life. I give up...

eleveninches
Jar JAr!!!

Red Superfly
So called die hard Star Wars "fans" usually go mental when people post this kind of thing.

The truth is, it's only because it's what EVERY Star Wars fan knows deep down to be a fact. The sooner these so called die hard Star Wars fans comprehend the fact that the prequels have a detrimental effect on the Original Trilogy, the better.

Search your feelings you know it to be true.

mephistodesigns
I can see thinking that, I disagree, but I understand. Its the danger that comes from making the back story to a bunch of films made twenty years ago. They've had time to sit and stew in the publics mind for all this time, people now have different visions of what the prequels should be. I don't mind what we have because I did think they'd be more mundane, more political. They're about the fall of a government, which is then reshaped. This isn't always a violent process. I figured it would be a lot of political manuevering for Palpatine to rise to power. They're pretty close to what I expected, I know this isn't true for everyone, which is why I understand Shadow's point. The one thing I wish they would have changed, was getting into the clone wars sooner, and starting Anakin off in his teens. But other than that, this is a lot like what I envisioned. I pictured a Vader, young, who would basically be like young Luke, whinny, wanting to do right, only Anakin would fail at it. This will enrich the plot in the OT of what if Luke turns out just like his dad, and he almost does, until he too realizes their dual paths and rectifies the situation. Anyway, the point is, they're too old, they've simmered in our imaginations for too long, everyone has their own definition of what they should have been, and a lot of people don't want to have to change that vision, which is understandable. But, this is the reality of the situation, so for some people they suck, for others they're just okay, and for others still they're really good. It all depends on your point of view.

Red Superfly
Good old Kenobi logic there.

Oh I understand that, but I actually think the new movies are TOO political.

My idea of the perfect PT would be based on the majority of the EU books and explanations out there. They are better because they are written by real authors, who understand how to make decent characters, and, they play on the nostalia part a lot more, keeping everything in line with the OT, especially if you look at the artwork.

I still don't like the fact that the PT took Star Wars away from this "gritty, realistic and used" universe. People went to see the PT and were greeted with too much "new" and not enough "old", both in overkill of new technology, and too many new locations.

Most fans would have been satisfied with just getting to see Sollust, Ord Mantell or Alderaan.

And Star Wars should have never strayed from the 70's retro style it had with the PT, that's what made it so damn cool.

It's mainly because they don't have the same "feel" to them. The massive leaps of time between the episodes makes them feel disjointed, unlike the OT that felt like PROPER episodes. The ships just don't look like Star Wars ships, they are contrived. People want their X-Wings and Y-Wings. They are Star Wars things. We wanted to see fully-realised ATATs done in CGI, and look ten times better than the stop motion ones from ESB, now that would have the fans loving the movies.
They could have just COPIED Han and Luke's characters and mapped them onto Obi-Wan and Anakin, their characters would have been so much better. Instead, every character is booooooooring.

mephistodesigns
Dude, a rehash is boring. The galaxy looks new as a plot device, its so when it looks good, its because its in a good place. It looks bad when its in a bad place. Its a visual metaphor that correlates with the downfall of Anakin/ the Republic. That would have been lame to just essentially remake them. That's my biggest beef when people bash sequels or in this case prequels. people can't recognize and accept that they had that first experience, that ain't gon' happen again. Its over. Now you get a different experience because they're different movies. Bashing the acting, the writing, the music, whatever that's cool, so long as your point is well thought out. But to basically, or in your case literally, say that they should have just COPIED the original characters is just lame. You just want the experience of the OT again. Can't happen. No matter how gifted the production team, because YOU had that experience. You defined that experience for yourself. That's why it can't happen again. This is a new experience, it won't, and can't, affect you the same way again.

Lord Shadow Z
But in no case should a prequel look ultra modern, or extremely better off in terms of the technology he's used in making the prequels. (Look at the 'Enterprise' series for Star Trek and you'll know what I mean)
I don't mind him using the technology he now has, but within certain limits.
Thats the experience the original films give, the experience of the fact that he made this adventure, this reality, with the most basic of methods.
Things like models for the spacecraft, for creatures-these things make it seem more real than a CG model could ever do. As for the general plot of the prequels they seem more suited to be read as a book than viewed as a film, things like this in-depth political nonsense with random characters thrown in to the mix. Darth Maul, which served no purpose at all except to be killed by Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon Jinn, who trained Obi-Wan, also gets killed in the first film he appears in doesn't get mentioned in originals because of GLs backward film-making ability.The Gungans don't seem like a Star Wars creature, they seem more like a CG species for very small children's programmes. Thats the problem I'm having.

mephistodesigns
Again, the galaxy looks better, to show that the galaxy was better off before the Empire and the huge civil war. This galaxy had not seen full scale war in at least a thousand years. Of course everything looks clean before the wars start. As the war progresses, things deteriorate more. Look around where you live. Fairly clean now. But after a few street battles, few shellings, few grenades, it'll look good and damned used. Its both practical, thematically and realistically, to have the galaxy look as it does in TPM, then gradually get more grimey and used, as it starts to look in AOTC (see the now very used Naboo Fighters in the opening, clean before, get in a fight, now they're used). In ROTS, everything will look a lot more used and textured. Enterprise looks low tech because its REALLY far back in the history of that continuity, not 33 years. And in Star Trek, everything gets better as people share technology and knowledge. In Star Wars, its already at that point (of the later Star Treks like TNG) but then a huge civil war breaks out, many groups of people are isolated, attacked, short on resources, so everything goes downhill.

Red Superfly
I've heard that arguement before, and to be me it's a pretty lame excuse for Lucas to CGI-ify his movies up to the eyeballs. The "deterioration" excuse is utter bollocks.

It has nothing to do with "deterioration". The ships still have blast marks and scratches even in Episode 1, they still look used, but they don't look ONE bit like Star Wars ships or creations because their designs are completely "generic sci-fi fodder".

Look at the designs of the ships in the PT. They were bold, distinguished shapes. The X-Wings had their shape, the Tie Fighters had their shape, and every ship had their own sound. You could tell if the Falcon was close by just by listening.

Everything in the PT has smooth, rounded edges, sleek designs, and look perfectly manufactured. That isn't Star Wars at all. Maybe the designs would have worked better if they weren't implemented so badly and cheaply in the CGI overkill.

They could have easily shown the "deterioration" by having BRAND SPANKING NEW Y-WINGS.

The droid army doesn't look like Star Wars stuff, they look more suited to Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek, not Star Wars.

Star Wars has become a victim of post modernism and it clearly shows because people want more of the old stuff.

moonwalker741
i voted for special editions, he should of made the original trilogy in dvd format with no changes or 97 changes....

why i voted this instead of the others,
i liked the phantom menace.....i thought it was awesome

jar jar, who cares about jar jar?!?!?! it dosent make a difference in my opinion...

the wait, i can wait, its not a big deal

GL's big money making scams, i was in border line between this or the special editions, but i remembered, i dont even have hs, so no body is taking my money.....

Jerico
Hopefully in Episode 3 we will see Y-Wings with all the supposed hull work still intact, so all the wires and stuff aren't present.

I agree its a poor excuse, they go from fully 3d rotating holographic perfect clarity targeting computers to 2d screens with a crosshair and a poor little tie fighter on it, that's like taking your p4 2million ghz computer and replacing it with an abacus. Sure the rebels would be hard up for cash, but finding a targetting computer that old would be like finding a brand new enigma code machine in perfect condtion

mephistodesigns
that I do agree with. I was really hoping to see updated computer screens throughout the OT, who knows maybe in the next release...

Sadako of Girth
While im in favour of seeing Ep3 before my judgement on the prequel trilogy as a whole is layed down, a couple of things STILL have been left un-sorted on the OT dvds that do irritate me .... I know that the flanneled one has said he didnt count on the "rewatch" factor when he first made the OT movies, but now he took the time to make the changes that he did for the current audience for DVD which DEFINATELY is bound to be scrutinized AND has made a real big thing of it too, why didnt he sort out smaller but basic and fairly noticable things like:

The dish on the Falcon's roof being missing in the hangar bay on Tatooine,
The upper cannon being missing from Luke's X-wing's right wing behind Luke during his conversation with Obi-wan in on Dagobah in 'Jedi'....
Boba Fett's antennae mysterious moving for one side of his head to the other again, on 'Jedi'..
The way that the group of soldiers running behind Han and Chewie suddenly skip back 4 paces or so then carry on as before as if rewound and played again,in 'ESB' (Hoth hanger, as theyre on the roof of the Falcon getting ready to leave during the attack...)
Oh-and the most noticable- the completely unconvincing explosion of the ATST after its destroyed by the Chewie piloted ATST behind it in 'Jedi'....

Again, most of this is only noticable on like the 50th watch of so, but as the OT is now so otherwise near perfect, why not go the whole hog... (Especially as these are meant to be on a format supposedly intended to hold up to scrutiny....More so now that a lot of us have large screens..)

" Got a girl...going out.....partying like it was 1999, surrounded by friends and im STILL an anorak.....DAMN IT...!!!!" wink

cylob49
people asking
WHO DO YOU THINK ERASED THE KAMINO FILES
WILL BOBA BE IN EP3
WILL WE GET TO SEE SUITED VADER KILL SOME JEDI
PALPATINE AND SIDEOUS AINT THE SAME PERSON

because they are very silly people indeed

cylob49
This along with re-issuing figures in dif packaging
jar jars antics at the battle of naboo
that jawa falling off the....darn forgot its name.......beast in sw a new hope special ed
that crappy sandtrooper on dewback
the fact the dvds will be out again in box set form for (with ep3 included so it aint all bad)xmas 2005 with no doubt more tinkering.
TPM apart from maul duel,podrace
underuse of MAUL,DOKOO and JANGO
no AURRA SING in ep2

Only TWO tuskens getting slaughtered onscreen
and a few other blown chances

Sicky666
None of these, actually...

Mandorallen
I honestly dont like the wait.

3 years for a movie after another?

cmon............

Flying Ferret
I hate all the things above except the waiting. I'm not anxious to see Episode III anymore. If I & II are any indication of what's to come, I'm not impressed.

Darth Subjekt
well then why dont you go out and make your own movie and see how it turns out? Thats what i hate, some of theses so-called "fans" that have nothing better to do than to criticize what someone else spent their life creating, just cause they dont understand the business. So everyone who thinks they could make the movies better...STFU AND DO IT!!!! AND SEE WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT

eXSBass
^^^ I gotta give it to the guy above me. Guts and currage. I wanted to say that since TPM but never did.

Darth Subjekt
wanted to say what exsbass?

Darth_Big_Boy
"special editions"

Ronny
prequels sad

eXSBass
One thing I absolutely hate about Star Wars are fans like me and others are taking things too literrally and seriously.

E.g.

What if Mustafar is Coruscant's sun?
Did Jabba have a mum?
Why does the Emperor not lightsabre Luke's arse?

I hate my self for talking things too seriosously in the Star Wars universe.

BlueHarvest

Jackie Malfoy
Jar Jar blink I hate him so much!UGG!JM

Darth Subjekt
i agree blueharvest. But we have the ultra editions to look forward to...it will supposedly have ALL the deleted scenes they ever took out. Theres supposed to be one where Vader goes to see Palps, and a red gaurd and an officer trys to stop him , and "takes care of them". Kinda cool to see.

Mr Parker
darth maul wasnt listed so I did not get to vote for him but I hate him and jar jar equally,darth maul because he was such a stupid looking villian.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.