Marching Band

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sailormoon
Hey! Is anyone here in a Marching Band? rolling on floor laughing

Mr.Snuggles
no.

Tptmanno1
Yes, came back from Band camp, not too long ago

Papaumau
Wouldn't be so bad if they could play the instruments !

Mr.Snuggles
... i play trumpet, piano, and percussion. And a little guitar(aucoustic).

angelsflame265
Most of my friends are in marching band. . . I would be in it, but i don't play a band instrument

Papaumau
Ahhhh but Snuggles....

Do you play them well ?

Most marching bands sound off-key when they are prancing around !

OR....am I just imagining it ?

Tptmanno1
Imagining it,
Either that or somethings wrong with the band, Most times they sound just as good marching as playign inside. Or it could be a bad spot, playing outside isn't exaclty ideal acustics. But most marching bands DO sound good and in-tune while marching around, and I've seen alot!

Vampy
I know who is! eek!

but i wont tell zorro

i play the piano, not yet in any band messed (waiting for propositions) does that count?

Papaumau
I guess it depends on how good your hearing and pitch is !

The only good-sounding marching bands that I know are the pipes and drums of the world champion Coats & Dykehead band.

Talk about "stirring" ?

http://www.bofagames.i12.com/pipeband.jpg

Tptmanno1
I try to think that my ear is pretty good, at least realativly,

Wow, thats big! Is that Bagpipes is see?

Silver Stardust
I was in marching band, even though I didn't play an instrument...I was on color guard! eek! We were very good, too...we took first place in a state competition yes

Corsie
I'm in a marching band. I play the clarinet.

Kaleanae
I was part of a marching band about 7 years ago, it was fun messed I really liked to go to practice stick out tongue

Moo Cow
see, now to me, they saound off key, and our highschool marching boand sounds fine to me, so it may just be what we're used to listening to. smile

§â®äµ
im in band...its not acutually marching band, but we march like twice a year...i play clarinet...

Yesterdays Gone
this one time at band camp....hehe sorta reminded me of that

i'm not in marching band this year but i played keyboard and clarinet for three years in the band. my friends are in marching band and they practice like 30 hours a week outside in the sun...haha they come back all burnt and gross erm

Darth Revan
I'm not in marching band, I'm in the school string orchestra. Which beats the shit out of marching band stick out tongue

It's pretty cool though, when we're getting ready for this big competition we go to every year, we get to/have to stay 10-15 minutes into the next period almost every day cool. And we're considered one of the best high school orchestras (even among the symphonic orchestras, we don't have percussion or anything) in the state. yes

Silver Stardust
Orchestra....sweet....I've played violin for 9 years yes

sailormoon
I just got back from a game. It was cool! Our football team lost but we did our routine better than ever so far! The other band had a racecar driving theme! Though I don't think their dance team knew what they were doing. We've only gotten 1s and 2s in competitions/festivals (well, since I've been here, 3 years). We even marched in the London's New Year Parade! big grin

Anyways, Marching Band is really fun besides the practices in the sun which eventually get freezing cold! wink

I play the clarinet by the way embarrasment

Silver Stardust
I meant to go the football game last night at my old school, just to see the marching band/color guard's halftime show (one of my friends on color guard choreagraphed the routines, so I REALLY wanted to see it...) but I couldn't sad

Band camp...last year when we did band camp before school started, it was VERY hot one day (about 95 degrees), sunny, and no wind whatsoever. I passed out messed

Tptmanno1
We had a game yesterday.
And school hasn't even started, But I blew out my lips anyway.
One of the job hazards of being a Trumpet Screamer.

sailormoon
It's hot alright, it's scary when people pass out on the field! It's happened more than once! And I tried to play as loud as a clarinet player could last night. And what's with this having a game before school starts? Same thing happened to my cousin.

Silver Stardust
I nearly did during a parade once, it was horrible messed

Kaleanae
Which instruments do you all that played in bands used to play?

sailormoon
Wow! No one's ever done during a game! It can be tough with those big uniforms though! Did your director let you take your jackets off?

Silver Stardust
I was in color guard, so we didn't wear the actual marching uniforms (VERY hard for us to use our flags in those, they don't allow a lot of range of motion). The color guard uniforms were kinda cheerleader-like, but the material was really thick so they were very warm.

sailormoon
Clarinet.

Tptmanno1
God marching in daytime parades with those uniforms is hell in a woolen suit.

SM> what do you play? Playing as loud as a clarinet? comon, maybe if it was as loud as a trumpet i MIGHT be impressed. stick out tongue

j/k

sailormoon
Hey! clarinets can blow! Not as loud as you Tpt but hey we make ourselves heard!

Silver Stardust
And I, being a flag girl, can beat up people with my flag! stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
Sure.............
hehehe
I blew my lips out to the point on not being able to play last night, that was fun.

sailormoon
I almost had a splinter in my tongue from my reed! Yeah!

powerfulone1987
I played the trumpet in band from 6th grade to 10th grade. I am going to 12th grade this year, school actually starts tomorrow. I quit because of my social anxiety/phobia. I almost fainted during practice one year cause I constantly skip lunch, so we were practicing on the football field and i got real weak and i started seeing whitness and fuzzy stuff everywhere I looked and I could hardly pick up my trumpet. Another incidence is where we had this couple miles parade and I forgot my belt at home and my paints were falling down and they stayed up through out the whole parade until the end where we were walking through this area still marching but we were out of the main street and there was hardly anybody watching and I had to hold them up with my hand and hold my trumpet with one hand. The parade was basically over, so I was so relieved it happened then and not during the parade. I was so scared going into the parade cause I just knew they were going to fall, I don't know how they stayed up.

sailormoon
Wow, band was an adventure for you! Then again, it is for everyone! I almost fainted at one of the practices my freshman year, I'm a juinor now. I just got real dizzy and I was wobbling and I felt like I was gonna throw up! We were on the baseball field and I guess I just wasn't used to such intense pressure in the sun that long.

Tptmanno1
wow,
Our only adventure is killing the other band in band battles while out team looses.

Nazgulinthedark
my school doesnt have a marching band sad, but i play piano in the jazz band, and trumpet in the regular band, next year i can do marching band smile

Tptmanno1
thats cool though, Jazz band is really cool. I like it more than marching band

Nazgulinthedark
i can only do jazz band a third of the year tho, cause there are 2 other piano players, and the director only needs one, so she is giving us each third of a year erm

Tptmanno1
that sucks!

Mr. Bacon
my school now has, jazz band I jazz II wind enseble, concert band frshmen band and marching band

Nazgulinthedark
yes

Mr. Bacon
yeah, it really does

Nazgulinthedark
bacon your school has alot of bands, we just have 7th grade band, 8th grade band, and jazz band

Mr. Bacon
in middle school we had 6th grade band and 7th and 8th combined and jazz band but the high school has a bigger music program

Tptmanno1
That might be because we are in High school.
hehe

We got, Marching band and that turns into concert band second semester, and then we have our Jazz A and Jazz B, and syphonic winds, and about 8 different string thingys.

Nazgulinthedark
thats what we had in alabama, but we had 4th and 5th grade band, and 6-8th grade band, but by the time i started band in sixth grade, the jazz band didnt exist anymore.

Mr. Bacon
sad

Mr. Bacon
we also have 2 choruses and orchestra

Nazgulinthedark
ya, there werent enough people in it, and the saxophones sucked sad

we have a church choir and a show chorus, but i dont like singing, so im not in them stick out tongue

Silver Stardust
At my school we had...

4 different choirs
Orchestra
Marching band
Symphonic band
Jazz band
Jazz ensemble

Marching band turned into symphonic band once marching season was over, though, and jazz ensemble was only by audition, or something.

And of course, can't forget the color guard happy

KidRock
Nope I am not in the marching band.

sailormoon
I looovvee that part of the adventure!

My school has a marching band that turns into a concert band second semester, a symphonic band, a concert band, a jazz band, different levels of piano, and different levels of orchestra.

Tptmanno1
nice, very simalar to mine

natalya719
I'm not in any band of any type, but I did teach myself to play the piano. Yep, I learned a lot of things by ear..go me happy

sailormoon
That's cool! I'm taking piano instead of band next semester, but you can bet I'll be there for marching band next year!

Nazgulinthedark
i acnt wait till marching band next year, even tho the uniforms are hideous sad

Tptmanno1
Yea the uniforms are the bane of our existance, hot and itchy.
But whatever, its still fun

Nazgulinthedark
they look like overalls with a jacket on top messed

Tptmanno1
thats what they are,
really high overally witha reallly small jacket

PippinTook
^ laughing out loud True. Really high overalls with a really small jacket, both very hot and uncomfortable.....Plus the hat, along with the chicken d*ck (that's what we call our plume). laughing out loud

I'm in marching band. I play flute. embarrasment This is only my first year (freshman....yeah, I know. Don't make fun.) in marching band. So far, it's awesome...except for the 3 out of 5 school days practicing marching after school for two-three hours in the extreme heat with no wind whatsoever, then there's games practically every Friday, which are still extremely hot no matter how dark it gets, so the only day we get off is Monday. Fun, I tell ya. roll eyes (sarcastic) Being a freshman, I haven't been to any competitions yet...We have our first in three weeks. stick out tongue

But what really sucked is football season started a few weeks early this year, so we had to get our whole half time routine down by the first week of school, which means we had eight days of band camp (five of which I missed cause my dad made me go to Florida with him...I actually WANTED to stay for band camp, if you believe it. But I couldn't...eh...) plus three after school practices before our first game....We ended up not being able to march, though, cause of the mud...

Our first few half time shows have been pretty good...I completely screwed up two days ago at our last game, though...I dunno what happened. I kept getting distracted by I don't know what and I kept forgetting my moves and everything. erm Not exactly a good thing haha.

But, yeah, our theme this year is Pirates of the Caribbean. Happy Dance It sounds awesome. And other than the brass, everyone's doing a really great job with the marching and everything....Our brass section is kind of slow....Seriously... The woodwinds and percussion are way ahead of them so far....Because of the brass, we've only gotten the moves to our first song and half of the second song done...The flutes and clarinets already know the rest of the moves for the second song, but our damn director won't let us go ahead and practice what we don't know instead of going over the same things over and over and over again. mad But he's agreed to let the band decide on the moves for the third song instead of him and the assistant band director. That's gonna be cool....I hope. erm

sailormoon
Our band doesn't really have themes for our half time show. Pirates of the Carribean sounds cool! We just got new uniforms like last year, they look better, but yeah it's still hot! But it's fun!

Our first festival/competition for this year is on homecoming, which is awful because I was going to go for the first time this year! The first few times we did our routines this year we sucked, but we get better every game. And, our school just played our lifetime rivals and beat them for the third year in a row! Also, our band was better than theirs...they kinda just stood there.

TheLastLioness
I'm not in the band but I'm in the guard. We just got back from Battle of the Bands last night and got a pretty good score. Our show this year is 'Shaker music' , eh...it sucks. We don't get to go to Homecoming either because its the say day as ACC's.

Nazgulinthedark
I cant be in marching band this year, but the band went and marcher for us eighth graders during school, it was so cold, but they are really good. i think the marching band director guy said their theme this year was mulan rouge

PandoraMomo
Oh man, i miss marching band.. I was in Flags w/ Silver Stardust. It was so much fun. The one thing i miss most tho is makie time w/ band... such wonderful bonding, as well as oversharing, moments. You can nver underestimate the humor of a bus load half naked high schoolers..

angelsflame265
ooooooo btw!! my marching band went to states on saturday and won in there division!!! My school is now Michigan's Flight 3 champions smile

Silver Stardust
Haha, nakie time...something I will never forget...just like you kicking me in the head during flags practice...and me nearly passing out that one day and scaring the hell out of Linda...oh, fun times big grin I miss it too, when we were at the homecoming game I was sooo tempted to steal someone's flag.

Xtremechik2
I'm in Marching Band, although I don't play an instrument. I'm Colorguard/Majorette. I love it so much it's to bad this is my last yr though

Silver Stardust
Colorguard rocks thumb up

.::Levi@than::.
Our school doesn't have a marching band, but even if it did, I wouldn't be able to play in it, because all the marching would 'break my reed' mad

PandoraMomo
OMG, it is so hard to leave that behind. everytime i see one of my old girls on the field i wanna run out there and perform w/ them, even at work, i always end up twirling brooms or celery..

Silver Stardust
laughing out loud celery?

I always end up twirling brooms at home...I miss flags so much...

PandoraMomo
Dude, seriously, celery is the perfect baton size.. today i was twirling a broken mop and did my infamous side toss and broke a lightbulb.... thankfully it was already out... but yeah... oopsy?

Jackie Malfoy
Not me.I can even play anything.I try and I suck at it.Anyway if you were in a marching band at my school you would be picked on and called a geek.
It is safer to hid.I know it is terrible but the popular kids are the snobest kids in the world.And they pretty much rule the school!JM This acouse was back in middle school!
It is now the senors that rule the school!

ssoccergrl
Im in marching band. We went to the Lester Oaks parade last sat, and got second place! We also have to play tonight at our last home football game against sultana tonight.

sailormoon
OMG! We just got back from our first game in the play-offs... and lost! I was half sad and half happy. One of the seniors, one of our drum majors was about to cry! I know I'm gonna be in tears next year, I almost felt like crying a little tonight and then I'll be a senior next year! I mean just thinking about no more:

"Karn Evil 9"
"And When I Die"
Drum Solo: " Sir Lancelot"
or "1928 A.D. Rockin' the Paradise"

Yeah, so it's the end of the season for us. But we'll see each other in the Christmas Parade and maybe the Inaugural Parade if we get invited in the Spring wink confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.