The Death of Nu-Metal

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NickKorn
Is it me or is Nu-Metal just fading away???
I mean Limbizkit's last album blew and they're was the cotastrophy of untouchables (Personally i Enjoyed it but I'm a Diehard so...) Then papaRoach fading away Is Nu-Metal comming to an end?????

Sigillum_Diaboli
no .. as long as korn is alive .... nu metal is alive big grin

SlipknoT
I dont care if it dies I'll still listen to it

Sigillum_Diaboli
yes

loserib
i like some numetal just not korn

Myth
Just because Limp Papa can't keep up (lol) doesn't mean that all of Nu Metal is fading. They are just being surpassed. GO NU METAL!

Sigillum_Diaboli
rock

Barf Heaven
Limp Bizkit sucks... But Nu Metal rocks rock

mook
i hope so...

total nettlehead
hell no it isnt. so Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach are fading away, hell thats a good thing, they sucked. along with Linkin Park, they were the shitty commercial nu metal acts that were giving the genre a bad name. there are tons of great nu metal bands out there.

for example:

Sevendust
American Head Charge
Mudvayne
Korn
Drowning Pool
Mushroomhead
Deftones
SOAD

to name but a few.

mook
i liked toxicity by SOAD

total nettlehead
the song or the album?

Myth
I say the song and the album. big grin

total nettlehead
yup me too

Blind-Enemy
i personally dont like nu-metal , but there's a couple of bands that really go my attention. well... the same thing almost happened to heavy metal in the early and late 70's, so my advice is to continue to support your favorite bands, because if they made it through this decade, they will pass the test of time and they'll be stable

NickKorn
One time I was Head Banging in my house , got to se to a desk and smashed my head of it rock

total nettlehead
no expression wow you are hardcore

mook
the album (except X and Jet Pilot)

deer dance is the best song on it.

loserib
system of a down are great live has anyone else seen em

Bad Boy
Papa Roach's first album Infest is definete nu-metal, but their follow up, Lovehatetragedy isn't!

total nettlehead
omg yeah Deer Dance is my fave SOAD song.

Jet Pilot blows but X is good. the other song i dont like on Toxicity is Psycho.

loserib
i liked jet pilot it was fun to cover

total nettlehead
it doesnt really have much depth unlike their other songs which is why i dont like it. also on Toxicity it follows Prison Song, Needles and Deer Dance, all excellent, which just makes it sound worse.

loserib
like i said it was fun to cover but then just about any soad song is fun to cover minus everyting off of steal this album

total nettlehead
yeah that album sucked dick apart from Spiders and Fu'ck The System

loserib
spiders was on their first album

total nettlehead
oh yeah its on self titled...i know theres another good track on Steal This Album though, cant remember what.

Cinemaddiction
Wwwwwhat? "Nu Metal" by definition is the fusion of rock and hip hop. AHC, Mushroomhead, SOAD, Mudvayne, and the Deftones were doing just fine before any of these noob metal bands came along.

I was listening to Deftones when I was a Freshman in high school, 1994. Hell, Deftones themselves have been around since 1989, and theres nothing "new" about them.

It's pathetic that these bands are forced to wear labels by their owns fans. There is one label I would'nt mind putting on bands like AHC and SOAD. "Original".

..and yes, I think "nu metal" is on it's way out, and Linkin Park ain't going with it, as long as they keep their sound fresh and original as they have been.

loserib
wavey
waves bye to insyncin park

total nettlehead
well ive heard plenty of other definitions for the term 'nu metal', and to be honest its a stupid excuse for a genre, seeing as nobody seems to know what it actually is. im not saying your wrong, but im not entirely convinced your definition is true.

yes they are original, but all definitions aside, they are generally classed as nu metal bands. im not saying thats right, thats just how it is. and the fact your calling it pathetic that us fans 'label' them as nu metal when that is how they are presented in the first place, thats just fu'cking arrogant. maybe you should consider the fact that possibly, what you believe to be true isnt entirely correct.

and dont treat me like a kid. im not new to music. i know how long Deftones have been around for.

loserib
i agree with nettle on this their are way to many nu metal bands that sound nothing alike

Myth
I have and yeah they were great. I fell into the mosh from crowd surfing during Chop Suey and when i got up I got punched in the jaw by some 230or so lb guy that was probably in his late 20s.

BTW: Anybody ever hear System's "Johnny" song. Its not on any of their albums but it is great. It make just makes me laugh.
"Hello, my name is Johnny."
(high pitch voice) "Well hell-o, my name is Johnny."

Cinemaddiction
Well, first and foremost, nothing I said was directly intended for you. That's fantastic that you know how long the Deftones have been around for. I was implying the fact to make a point to anyone else that may not know otherwise. You don't want me to to treat you like a kid, yet you're 17, correct? I'm 25, and this "genre" played a big role in my life in High School. I'm just saying that for the sake of an arguement.

As for the label. It's not arrogant to think that fans of these bands lent a hand in sub categorizing them? There's still no "nu metal" section at your local Sam Goody is there? It's not some corporate label, it's just a moniker that people use to differentiate between established bands, that are strictly metal, and newcomers who just so happened to have come in on the wave of rap/rock, and have the same style.

My point is that more people recognize a band like American Head Charge as a heavy metal band, not a nu metal, rap influenced band.
If you don't already own it, download tracks off of Trepenation. Those are tracks that would set this labelers straight.

But as I was saying, I think "nu metal" is on it's way out. Kids writing songs because they are "angry at the world", blaming everyone but themselves for their so called hardships like their parents not paying their cell phone bills is tiresome and trendy.

I mean, for God's sake. How many more times will Jonathan Davis cry about his Mom and Dad treating him like shit, over the same low tuned guitar riff and stringy basslines before he realizes they have hit their peak? It's so monotonous. I guess this is why today's music sucks.

I will also come right out and say that Linkin Park is indeed one of my favorite bands of all time. They aren't metal, they aren't nu metal, they are an alternative band. They have a unique and distinct sound that couldn't be emulated, and with their pop status, I hope they continue their success.

loserib
Trepenation oh hell yeah i have a burnt copie of that cd i also have art of war ahc is great to bad about their record company though

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.