greatest war leaders of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
i say winston churchill!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

amity75
Sir William Wallace.

dean7879
i hope watchin braveheart didnt make u come to that conclusion!!
as that film is totally unaccurate as is the patriot...mel gibson loves us british doesnt he

Mr.Snuggles
william wallace is a legend... Alexander the Great and... BUSH.

amity75
Dean, Braveheart is a pile of crap. As a Scottish person the film was greatly insulting and completely inaccurate. In my own lifetime I'd have to say the greatest war leader was Margaret Thatcher in the way she handled the Falklands war.

dean7879
yeah we kicked those argies butts!!

Mr.Snuggles
woo hoo. What the f**k?

Darth Revan
I was agreeing with you there up 'til you said "BUSH". Even if you like him I honestly don't see how you can put him up there with Alexander the Great and William Wallace.

I say Genghis Khan.

dean7879
bush lol yeah rite

RaventheOnly
Agustus Ceasar smart
Julius Ceasar
Alexander the Great
Gengis Khan
Attila the Hun
FDR
Dwight Eisenhower
Winston Churchill
Zukov
if we are going to say Khan might as well throw Hitler in there... and Stalin..... erm
George Washington
Elizabeth
Joan d'Arc
Barborosa
Constantine
Abraham Lincoln
and plenty more but i'm bored now trying to remember erm

bardock
clinton

HockeyHorror
Agustus Ceasar
Julius Ceasar
Alexander the Great (hellenism yes )
Zsukov
Rasputin (ehhhh maybe not a war hero but a powerful man )
Khan

cant remember right now no expression

ragesRemorse
I doubt anyone can argue with Alexander

I would say on a lesser scale, PATTON ...this dude is the man.

RaventheOnly
Patton was revolutionary in tank warfare smile but Douglas Macarther if we are talking generals commanded more smile

ragesRemorse
yeah but Patton had some of the coolest speeches.

BackFire
Oprah.

finti

Agent Elrond
1. Robert E. Lee. One of the most beloved generals in US history, next to Washington

2. Washington. There's hardly an American alive who hasn't heard of him

3. G. Khan. Forged the largest empire in world history

4. FDR/Churchill. They were the light in the darkness of WW2

5. Rommel. A brilliant tacticain. Too bad he fought for Hitler

HockeyHorror
laughing

Agent Elrond
I glad to knoe, in times of war, we have great people, like Ophra to guide us through its terrible times. roll eyes (sarcastic)

dean7879
i'll probably get hammered for this but i suppose hitler was a great war leader embarrasment

Agent Elrond
honestly, I will agree with u. As bad and evil as he was, he did restore German pride and gave the ppl hope. That's not bad, what was bad was his personal believes and how they affected his polioies.

Darth Revan
Forgot Lee, he was an incredible general

RaventheOnly
Someone mentioned him already.... considering Civil War... Sherman and Ulyses S. Grant big grin of... and for a short bit .... Jackson for the confederate side stick out tongue

Napolean and Wellington big grin

Corlindel
Alexander the Great
Anibal
Cesar
Atila
Aeccio
Gengis K
Saladin
Napoleon
Geronimo
Zapata
Rommel
Che

Darth Revan
I'd hardly call Sherman a great leader... Sherman was at least a little insane IMO

dean7879
Duke of Wellington/Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley (1769-1852). One of the great commanders of history, Wellington led the victory over Napoleon at Waterloo (1815) and went on to become Prime Minister of Great Britain and Commander in Chief of the British Army

naybean
ye he may have been a great war leader but he screwed up when it came to being prime minister

RaventheOnly
stick out tongue most generals are a bit crazy stick out tongue

dean7879
every one goes a little crazy once in a while eek!

Mr Zero
Thatch started an undeclared war by sinking the Belgrano OUTSIDE the war zone.

Hardly something we can be proud of.

Creechuur
Patton made the Germans poop their little lederhosen.

Mr Zero
Are you sure you didn't mean "I have no idea about war and stuff but I sure do like George Lucas!"

Just askin'...

Creechuur
I see your still working on your reading comprehension skills Zero.

Keep working on it buddy, practice makes perfect. Work on the sarcasm while your at it, it doesn't work when your talking out your ass.

dean7879
children please...i think i might start an arguments thread

big gay kirk
What about Neville Chamberlain... true, he was more of a pre-war leader, but if it wasn't for his "appeasement" of Hitler in the mid-to-late thirties, Churchill would never have ad the chance to become a war leader... without Chamberlain's buying of time, Britain would've fallen in 1938....

Krissy Von Doom
Hannibal - Geez this guy was THE Man - he marched his army right up to the gates of Rome. How often has it happened that an ancient army was able to beat a well trained Roman Legion twice its size? And was pretty much the only general to win every major battle he was involved in...except for the last one, ironically, the only battle he fought on home soil. Considered by most modern-day generals as the greatest ever.

I tell you, he would've given Alexander a run for his money if they had met.

JediHDM
whomever said Clinton should be hit.

as for Churchill, is this before or after people started listening to him about Hitler?

i would say, the greatest war leader of all time would be Alexander the Great. then, in no particular order, Patton, Eisenhower (simply for Normandy), definitely Rommel.

Not sure if i agree with Caesar, simply because he wasn't actually doing anything...

finti
read your history boy. Caeser expanded the Roman empire, his very name was used as a title. Actually he was doing a lot

yerssot
posting this mostly cause I'm an annoying prat but also to educate the one that said Caesar didn't do anything:

some of the things Caesar did:
- studied in the east to collect military experience
- was very popular as aedil (don't know how the english write this word)
- made the first triumvirate with Crassus and Pompeius
- was proconsul of Gallia Cisalpina & Illyria
- later became also the proconsul of Gallia Narbonensis
- beats Pompeius to become dictator after the Alexandrian War (batles in ie Spain)
- involved in the Alexandrian War (Cleopatra VII back on the throne with her bro)
- war in Asia and Africa
- again a war in Spain

won't even talk about the calender of 365 1/4 days he made, or the creation of the first regulary made golden coins and the organisation of the huge prinvincia Gallia Transalpina or his famous memoires...

Capt_Fantastic
While Hitler can be admired for many of his abilities, such as public speaking and swaying the masses...as well as for many "good" things that he did for the people of Germany....he was no great military commander. That was one of the reasons things started to go so badly for the Nazis during the second world war. They began to loose so much ground so quickly because he refused to listen to his more experienced generals. So, yes...he was very successful early on, but too pig headed to listen to reality when his plans started to fail. He simply wouldn't listen to those people who knew what they were talking about.

Thutmoses IV -Very great Egyptian pharaoh. Expanded the borders of Egypt into a huge empire. (I would say Ramses the Great as well, but he was better at propaganda than actual...warrioring -if that can be used as a term)

Caesar -duh

Alexander the Great -Obvious

Napoleon -again, obvious

Washington -Along with LaFayette, he turned a band of poorly trained rebels into a successful fighting force. I mean, when you get right down to it, he was the one behind the idea of actually getting out of the way of a bullet when it was coming at you, rather than marching in formation onto the end of a bayonette. He changed the rules of warfare for so much of the western world.

FDR and his generals -He actually listened to his people. This was one of the reasons why the allies began to win.

dean7879
Duke of Wellington(1769-1852). One of the great commanders of history, Wellington led the victory over Napoleon at Waterloo (1815)
i say this simply cos he stopped napolean..and that probably took some doing
and boudicca for fighting the romans hard

JediHDM
i'm not saying Ceasar didn't do *anything*, i'm just wondering if he actually led them into battle.

and i agree with capt. fantastic. Hitler got overconfident and tried to take on too many enemies at once.

yerssot
they generally stand on a hill and give orders which get over to the battlefield by courier or instruments

dean7879
he coudnt even conquer britain...at two attempts.....the big headed romen git

yerssot
then again, who wants it

dean7879
the question is who dares to try and get it
and who would take your country whereeva u r from

bardock
khan

yerssot
I dare, then again, ... nothing to get there laughing out loud

jetspike
w

Krissy Von Doom
Two more entries into this -

SALADIN- muslim leader known for generosity who recaptured Jerusalem from the Franks, and pretty much decimated the whole Christian army at the Battle of Hattin, which was the main cause of the Third Crusade led by...

RICHARD III the Lionheart - Led the combined English, French, Italian and German crusaders into the Middle East to try and recapture Jerusalem. Divisions in the Western army caused him to fall short of that goal, however he was able to recapture most of the land lost to Saladin several years before, plus was able to barter with Saladin for Christians to revisit Jerusalem safely.

Had they not met on the battlefield, they surely would've achieved more than they did.

dean7879
cos there is nothin for you to get there...i think u would respond better to anythin from a toy shop.......britain is more succseful than your country..admit it cool

Clovie
no one mentioned:
Perykles (ancient greek, persian wars)
Leonidas (also persian wars)

and imo there is too much of american generals there.

RaventheOnly
They were mentioning Civil War ones stick out tongue

Xerexs of Persia and Hannibal of Carthage to stick out tongue

JediHDM
i totally forgot about Saladin... embarrasment big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.