Science Doesn't Have All The Answers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Did you know that NASA has investigated the thrust and updraft etc of bumblebees and has theorised that Bumblebees can't actually fly?

laughing out loud

Darth Revan
laughing

People have also theorized that it is physically impossible for dolphins to move as fast as they do... Funky shit.

bardock
steven hawkings theory on black holes is wrong too.

HockeyHorror
yea laughing

Tptmanno1
laughing out loud

Scientists with too much time on their hands....

The Omega

BackFire
Science does not have all the answers, but they have more answers then anyone else, and their answers can often be proven.

yerssot
when has science ever claimed they had all the answers??

SaTsuJiN
I dont think its so much the science/scientists claiming they have the answers.. its the people who debate in favor of science that seem to give off that impression by bashing spirituality with man-discovered facts

I find the usefulness of science to be boundless smile

WhiteEagle
Science doesn't have all the answers...yet...but given a long enough time-line, who knows... shifty

laughing

Phoenix
It wasn't on the net, it was in a Science magazine, but I will try and find a similar article on the interweb

Papaumau
Of course science does not have all the answers....But why would that be I wonder ?

I will tell you why: It is because they don't know all of the questions yet !

One thing that is sure is that science will always try to prove the answers that they come up with and spiritualism and religion are only based on fable and guesswork and faith, without any need or requirement for proof or for the truth.

I will always put my trust in science even although they do get it wrong now and again as science is based around solid knowledge and the rest is just fairy-tales and fables and fantasy.

I suppose that THAT is really why I am now agnostic and atheistic !

Science ROCKS......

Religion sucks

Phoenix
Is that really necessary? I didn't say science sucks, did I? I'm very religious, so please don't insult religion, even in a jocular way, it annoys me. miffed

Papaumau
Yo Phoenix.... ( Nice nick' BTW....).

If you were REALLY religious then you would not be so sensitive about the fact.

It is the weaknesses in religion that make it a target for critics like me.

Be assured that I am not attacking YOU or YOUR beliefs. I am attacking the idea of religion in general, based on a lifetime of debunking religious belief in general.

Please do not take it so personally when I - or anybody else for that matter - have a go at religion in it's broadest sense.

I, in fact, ( as once was said by someone important ), would fight and die for your right to hold your religious beliefs. That does not mean that I must agree with them.

If you want to have a go at my stance on science than GO AHEAD as you will not hurt my feelings !

nemo
sure, it doesn't, science is about seeking the answer, if we have all the answers, what's the point of scientists or science?

Cipher
Science is about the search for answers. If everything were known, there would be no science.....

bardock
science isnt perfect like math. math is perfect science.thats why i dont get why science is so stressed in school some it is wrong so you get wrong info in your head.then fast foward ten years later on jeporady and you lose.then you go back to you hotel room and jump out the window.but you rented a ground level room so you only skin you knee.your so pissed you have a heart attack and die.see all the trouble science has caused.

Cipher
laughing out loud

yerssot
at least they can give two quotes from two different sources instead all out of one ancient book

Gregory
Science doesn't have all the answers, but it comes closer than anything else--and unlike many religious groups, they're always willing to admit ignorance.

As for bumblebees...

http://www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk/~ben/zetie1.htm

SaTsuJiN
and what other way could there be? and you mean 2 man made quotes from 2 man made sources.. good justification roll eyes (sarcastic)

WhiteEagle
All religious texts are man made, as is every religious organisation on earth.

finti
Science is cool ..........form time to time

finti
and these are the guys that send people into space eek! eek!

WhiteEagle
I've always liked the story of how NASA solved the problem of not being able to use ball point pens in space. Many have probably already heard it. When NASA discovered that pens would not work in space, they spent $5,000,000 on research and development and 15,000 man hours into one that would work. Their result was a pen that wrote underwater and was also able to write upside-down and in zero gravity. When the Russian Space Agency was confronted with the same problem they simply used a pencil. big grin Oh and Finiti, these are the guys that 'allegedly' send people into space...shifty Ok, enough conspiracy theory for today. happy

Cipher
That bit about the bumblebee....
If I remember right, its aerodynamically sound or something. That doesn't mean the people at NASA are stupid.....
By the way, that info is old news, like 15 or 20 years. I'm surprised no one has heard of it.....

Papaumau
Hi again Phoenix.....

I have thought some more about hurting your feelings and I want to say sorry by offering you a cool image of a Phoenix that maybe you could use for your avatar.

( The image you are using at the moment is of an Eagle ! ).

If you don't like this one there are plenty more in GOOGLE...images

Here it is: http://www.jerslater.com/phoenix.JPG

Phoenix
Thank you big grin

I will try resizing it! big grin

edit -- I have now resized it - it feels weird having a new avvy, I have had the old one for a year and a half!

Darth Revan
laughing

That being said, space pens are very cool yes I have one cool

MC Mike
hysterical

Gregory
You realize that that story is a myth?

(The truth, for anybody who cares about this sort of thing, is that both NASA and the Russians initially used pencils, but both discarded them because they actually didn't work well in zero-gravity; the leads would break off and become potentially hazardous. So a man named Paul Fisher developed the pens, free of charge).

Cipher
Science doesn't have all the answers- that's why we have science: to find answers to our questions.

yerssot
thumb up

when you want power, just invent a religion and they'll follow you like a policedog follows Queeq on the airport

(just picking on queeq since he's from the xtc-country stick out tongue)

WhiteEagle
Really? I've never heard of that. Although I've never done any research into the story. I can't imagine the Russian Space Agency being concerned with something like the dangers of pencil leads in space. They seemed to cut corners where-ever possible, even if it endangered the lives of their cosmonauts. Very shifty stuff indeed.

big grin

SaTsuJiN
I think religious text were dictated to man, but were not thier own thoughts. Religion is a different story however, tis true anyone can make one up. Science seems to focus itself on disproving more than creating something new, which is why we're still fairly primitive

yerssot
science focuses more on disproving??? primitive???
"If god had wanted man to fly.
-He would have given him wings, mister Kidd"
(Diamonds are Forever)
Well, man does fly now. Man can also send information to the other side of the globe (notice the word, I don't say "other side of the square"wink in mere seconds. Man has meds that make sure he doesn't die as easily as 2000 years ago, etc.

what do you understand under primitive? cause compared to even 1000 years ago, we made a huge leap forward

Darth Revan
laughing

bardock
james bond is your source of info What the f**k?

Tptmanno1
no the source of the quote,
Don't insult James bond!

Gregory
Well, it was NASA who seemes to have been concerned, not the Russians. But after the pens became available, I suppose the Russians decided, why not?

yerssot
he can insult that movie and OHMSS any time of the day stick out tongue

but yes, only the quote about giving wings was from the movie of course

Papaumau
Yo White Eagle.....

Gregory is right..the space-pen WAS invented by Fisher as I used to have a Fisher space-pen too until some dog pinched it !

The pencils in space thingie....

Look at it this way...If a point breaks on a pencil this little piece of graphite floats around the cabin until someone breaths it in. If a pencil loses it's point it would need to be sharpened again..... eek! If you tried to do this in zero-gravity you would either have to have a dedicated - and sealable - pencil sharpener or you would have dozens of bits of wood floating about for EVERYBODY to breath in !

Give me a Fisher space-pen anyday !

Papaumau
Phoenix....

Your new avvy looks triffick !

WindDancer
I really like the title of this thread. Science is important for humans. To turn science into an anti-religious tool it is simply unprofessional and somewhat misleading, but at the same time to turn religion into an anti-science tool it is also very unprofessional and very misleading. I for one, find both science and religion very important for our life. So, science doesn't have all the answers and neither does religion. In my view, we as humans shouldn't become arrogant with whichever we find more appeling. And by that I mean not becoming fanatics of either science or religion. Accept the one that makes more sense to you. But don't turn it into absolute truth. After all, there are many MANY un-answer questions out there that haven't been answer by religion or science. That's how I call it. yes

SaTsuJiN
heh.. well surely you can agree we'd be alot farther than we are if we didnt spend most of our time on trying to belittle eachother. Mentally we still treat eachother the same as we did back then.. whats different? we wear nice clothes and have cellphones? lol

Darth Revan
And... how is science related to belittling each other? At least science doesn't mislead people into thinking that everybody who disagrees with it is WRONG, and that they can even be killed for it...

bardock
no science just try to make people who dont think their right feel stupid

Darth Revan
Well, stick out tongue

I'm not saying science has never done anything bad, just that it can't be held responsible for all the problems with society today.

Gregory
Is it possible that people in this thread are confussing "science" with "scientists"? Because science doesn't give a damn what you think about yourself, what with science not being sentient and all that.

In point of fact, I've never met a scientist who's tried to make me feel stupid. I've posted what I'm sure were silly questions on scientific boards, and have never-the-less been treated civilly by the regulars. On the other hand, I have met religious folks who have told me that I'm evil (because I'm an atheist) and am going to hell.

bardock
damn people are always confussing damn them.

Jury
I wish ... someday ... Science could make a machine/invention which actually imitate the process that only a little plant can do...

like PHOTOSYNTHESIS.

If ever that will happen ... there will be no famine that would threat the peole all over the world...

No more hungry mouths to feed.

bardock
i wish science would make me like the terminator.then i would rob banks and run a muck

Lord Soth
Religion- Certainty w/o proof
Science- Proof w/o certainty

It all comes down to that

Jury
baby

finti
oh so all religions are right then?

Papaumau
I think that what Lord Soth is saying is that Religion needs no proof as the religious are "certain" about their beliefs BECAUSE faith needs no proof.

( In other-words; stick your head in the religious sand and everything is bound to be alright ).

Science.... on the other hand is only hypothesis until it is proven by rigorous testing.

In science the search for truth goes on and on but in Religion - as everything is accepted at face-value - there is no longer any need to search for their truth.

finti
face value hmmmmm never knew Phil Collins had suchj an impact cool eek! big grin stick out tongue

Cipher
Faith is based on things that people think are true but can't be proven.

Science is just the study of what actually exists around us......

Papaumau

wuTa
science doenst give you ansewers...it gives you theorys and solutions

Cipher
The solution to a problem is the answer to the problem......

And scientists come up with theories when they're not sure of the answer but have an idea.....

ragesRemorse
Nasa afflliates told me that i should microwave hot-daogs for 40 seconds. It take 70 seconds to fully microwave my hot-dog. After this i dont listen to anything NASA has to say. All NASA is, are a bunch of people sitting around creating big words that no one has ever said. Then they have a meeting using those big words. No one knows what the hell they are saying, but hey there NASA they must kno what there talking about

Papaumau

SaTsuJiN
Isnt science a way of life? Also I never mentioned that science is responsible for killings. Plz dont ramble and then act like it came out of someone else.

vitaldragon
Science doesn't have all the answers, its really just a bunch of lies covered up with new lies repeatly over and over again. It's funny how most people blindly believe what a group of scientists say.

Theory and reality are two different things.

Science is the search for the truth, religion is the search for yourself, and was originally a search for the truth. Science and religion aren't really all that different at all.

Phoenix
well, technically, science doesn't have any answers... I've just completed A Level Biology, and, when doing my coursework, my teacher told me that, although you could prove a theory wrong in science, you couldn't actually prove it right, just that it had the highest proobaility of being the correct hypothesis...

nemo
religion - a search for truth? that must be a joke.
once you start taking religious text seriously, u pretty much close ur mind off to anything that is contradictary to the text, even though there are solid evidence that prove otherwise.

takes creation of the world in six days, some people still believe in this, mind you in an age where man have gone to space, landed on the moon and taken photographs of other galaxy. we have make conception outside the body possible, so that infertile couples can now have kids.

evolution, there are findings upon findings of various fossils, there are enough evidence to at least support that theory, but the religious community would never except it, why? becasue it contradict the bibble.
even now, some schools in the US still donot include it in their biology textbook. they have sunday school to learn about how god make all the millions of species of animals one at a time, why shouldn't they be allowed to learn an alternative, more plausible theory?

some people who are religous because it is impart to them from childhood would not even consider that there might not be a god, don't even question it, how can you know for sure which side is true if you don't question and analyse both sides critically?
agnostic and anthiest at least ask themselves first wether there is/are god/s then they weight the evidences.

a search for truth means questioning, questioning, then keep on questioning, and that's what science do.
on the other hand i think there's a quote from the bible that go something like, if you question the lord then you are a non-believer.
that's what faith do, they eliminate the questions, so you live a dream-like world where you have all the answers, if not then there is an omniscient being who will see to everything and make it all right. you don't have to question him, if he wants you to know you will.

religious commnuity like the vetican, infact, keep people ignorant because of their stubborness in believing the bible word for word or keeping to their own (mostly) unreasonable stance.

anti artificial contraception - people in the developing world who are god-fearing people would not use it because the church says it is a sin, so they end up having more kids than they could afford, and do you think the vetican would come down to help them? how many of those religious people who are educated would stop having sex or have loads of kids they can't afford, rather than using artificial contraceptives, just because the vetican is against it?

they continuously make the claim that condon is not safe even though experiments have shown them to be safe. the result? people in the developing country who have lttle or no education, often believe it, so they never though to use it to protect themselves against sexually transmitted diseases.

it is religion that lies not science becauses science never claim to know anything without a doubt.
the only way i would ever believe that religion, as we know it today, is about seeking the truth is when all the religious institutions start to revive their religiou texts, then rip out those that is proven to be false, and admit that they were wrong.
this is something the scietific community does all the time.

Phoenix
But there is the theory of continuous creation... not siz days but six stages

Phoenix
and, btw, do you have any idea how many generalisations you just made there?

nemo
please tell me.

Cipher
Science isn't a bunch of lies covered up with more lies.......

Its about studying the world and learning from what is found.
Religion was about explaining things that people didn't understand before they
had the knowledge they do in the last few centuries or so.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.