Out of Body Experience

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@t
I know how and when this happens, just I'm tired so I'll post tomorrow, but I wanted to make this thread so I wouldn't forget. Post your thoughts for now.

Mr Zero
I am already salivating and warming up my typing fingers with delight at the prospect of whats coming next.

BackFire
Good, that means I won't have too. You handle this, Z-Man.

Papaumau
Too slow Z-man....

Although I have studied this phenomenon, as I have never been close to death I cannot speak about the phenomenon itself other than to say what is reported.

They say that anyone close to death can rise out of their body spiritually and either look down at themselves and others around the operating table or deathbed.

It is even said that some people who have had an out of body experience like this may have started a journey towards a welcoming light at the end of a tunnel only to be drawn back into their body when the risk of death is removed my the doctors or surgeons.

Either you have to simply believe what these people say - because THEY believe it - or you must try to find scientific reasons behind the phenomenon so as to debunk the suggestions.

I want to say more about this situation but I will shut up now and give others the chance to speak !

bardock
i heard that kung fu monks can do it.but its probably bs

WhiteEagle
I know what you mean, some claim to be able to reach a higher plain of existence through meditation. While I don't doubt the power of the human mind, I still think that all consciousness must be anchored to a physical body. That is of course, unless I see something that proves otherwise. wink

BlackC@t
Okay peoples! here's what I know:

You know how you're lying in bed and your almost asleep but suddenly it feels like your bed has been pulled out from under you and then your falling back but down? it is said that this is the beggining of an out of body experience, and the reason why you snap awake is because you are not use to falling and you become frightened. If you stay calm then the experience may take place, you can wonder around as a spirit.

BackFire
Speculation, nothing more. Those are just dreams.

plenTpak52
That usually happens when i fall or jump in my dreams

finti
especially dreams after a heavy drinking session

BlackC@t
They're not dreams BackFire, I've been wide-awake but my eyes have been closed and I've experienced these. smile

Papaumau
Scientists have suggested that this phenomenon is brought on by certain chemicals being generated in the brain when we are close to death that create hallucinations that are remembered after the patient is brought back from the brink.

The one that stumps me is where the person, ( quite commonly ), is able to recount seeing things done that are out of sight to them lying on the bed. These reported views are usually from above the bed, ( at ceiling level ), and did in fact take place while the patient was unconscious and near death.

How would the patient near death and unconscious be able to recount such admitted facts, ( by the surgeons or nurses ), when he or she comes round ?

m!$hA
or experience it yourself eek!

Papaumau
I would rather NOT do that m!$hA as it means that I would have to risk dying to have that kind of experience.

Where people who are alive and conscious say that they have had an "out-of-body-experience".... I would be very sceptical that they are telling the truth as people can say that they saw this and that here without having - or being able to - prove it.

m!$hA
once again, i was kidding paps.
sometimes you take things way too seriously messed
lighten up eek!

Papaumau
Don't worry about me getting "too heavy" as what I say on fun forums like this is normally just inserted to generate further debate.

I do this light-heartedly and with a feeling of fun almost all of the time !

dancepunk taz Happy Dance

m!$hA
arguing eek!

Mr Zero

BlackC@t
Yeah, but how can the chemical reaction make you see and FEEL things? in my OBE I slipped over on a pencil and snapped back.

Papaumau
Let's just use some of the words above shall we.....

Chemical reactions: The body is capable of - in certain conditions - manufacturing some of the most powerful and potent chemicals that are possible and if these chemicals are released into the blood-stream a person can experience/feel all kinds of awake and asleep hallucinations.

These experiences are only limited to the power and variance of the person's subconsciousness.

WhiteEagle
Hmmm, it seems we are all slaves to our brains chemical cocktails and subconscious to a degree. I believe we are a lot more 'programed' than we like to think. erm

BlackC@t
Interesting..........but I think it's an Out of Body Experience.

WhiteEagle
Ever gone somewhere away from your body while in these states BlackCat?

BlackC@t
As I've said, it's started to happen but I've paniced and returned to my body.

ragesRemorse
I have experienced some astro projectory before. Three times of what i can remember. That was some great acid. smile i have also levitated off of some shrooms.

Turbo-Cajun
I had out of body when i took dmx, it was cool. I was in a video game. It was pretty messed up. I saw a lot of crazy shit that night.

cheeky munkey
i had an out of body experience, or an ethreal projection. have you ever done that thing when you breath really fast, then hold your breath and it makes you faint?
well this was a few years ago, and me and all my mates were doing it, but i did it and then i was above us all looking at us passed out on the floor..... it was really scary. it put me off the fainting thing.

but as to OBEs being due purely to chemicals, i disagree, there is evidence for the possibility of astral projection, as well as things like remote viewing, where your in your own house, but are seein what is happenning somewhere else.

and its possible to learn to astral project ( i have friends who project regularly) so how canyou learn to make a random chemical reaction take place in your body?

Paxelius
How nice, I've had some out of body experiences, it usually happens when I'm very tired, I lie in my bed and somethimes my tiredness is so heavy on my body that my mind just jumps from it and I see the room I'm in and can move from place to place with the ease of my thoughts (infact, when this happens I immidiatly feel super awake, ie. very light and relaxed, not tired at all, very clear). I'm always very aware that I'm awake when this happens and I think to myself, if I open my eyes now I'll see that I am indeed lying in my bed and haven't moved at all.

HiddenPotential
I also believe that we are programed more than we think.

I have had a very strange reoccuring dream where its just me alone, and I am inside of something incredibly huge, that evokes such a fear that when I was a kid I would always wake up crying.
As far as I can remember I had it 2 or 3 times when I was 9-13, and I had it for the last time when I was 23.
Id wake up crying when I was a kid, but the last time I had it I woke up shaking uncontrollably and I knew that this fear was from something much bigger and greater than I.

Its by far the most amazing thing thats happened to me and changed my life forever.

Nazgulinthedark
sounds...odd messed I dont think people close to death can rise up otta their bodies, cause some people just dont beleive in that stuff while others do, and thats not a reason that it cant happen but some people are going to disagree
ive been in a near death situation, and i dont remember anything hapening no everything was just black...cause i shut my eyes

Mandos
I've done it.
-The Valar hath spoken.

Nazgulinthedark
well, thats very interesting. smile

Mandos
~That was a joke, because I'm a geek....~
No, I'd love to: but I'd get all fecked up, and probably have a heart attack...laughing

Paxelius
HiddenPotential: I know (exactly) what experience you're talking about, I've had it many times. It usually feels like you're frozen, unable to move a limb, and a presence descends on you in the middle of the night, you're aware as if awake, but unable to 'get out'.

Nazgulinthedark
wait...i think ive done that before...ill be like dreaming but ill sort of wake up but be unable to move and still be dreaming but aware of whats happening in my room

Paxelius
Nazgul: Sounds similar, but in my case I'm not dreaming, I'm awake but unable to move, even to open my eyes is too much of a strain, so I've adopted a technique of lunging my head and upper torso forward to wake up from the 'horrible'* trance.

* A sense of horror always comes with this experience, everything is pitch black and I am unable to move. Quite scary.

HiddenPotential
Yes, Paxelius, very very scary
hmm I wonder if its something that happens alot, to people.

Nazgulinthedark
ive never really been scared...not the times i can remember it...which isnt many confused

Mandos
Paxelius> Some people acquaint those symptoms with seisures.

Paxelius
I don't know, probably a common experience?

I have no idea what is happening, but if I try to apply some science maybe this can be an explanation: when we are in REM sleep, we are supposed to be unable to move and should be dreaming. But sometimes when you wake in this state, you're still unable to move. The shock of being awake, yet submerged and immobilized in a pitch black void, with (almost) no control over your body does scare most people.

But this could be all wrong.. I dunno.

Paxelius
Mando> yeah, maybe that's what it is-- but then again.. what is a seizure ?

Nazgulinthedark
its when one of the capilaries in your brain clots with blood so part of your brain cant get enough blood

Mandos
Paxelius> So say many Doctors, but maybe not.

Paxelius
Hmm... big grin That's one way of describing it. I hope you're wrong though --- I just got the most horrid thought; What if you never manage to 'get out' from this incident? You are wake, but unable to move - People would think you were in some kind of coma.. Sorry if I scared you, I'll be going to bed now, trying to find that innocence in my sleep that the poets are talking about.

Mandos
????
Seisures can be "helped" by medicine.
Go to a Doctor, and check it out: I may be wrong, but you should just be safe.

Nazgulinthedark
usually after people have seizures they have to be taken to the hosptal cause their brain isnt working right because of the decrease in blood

Paxelius
Mandos: Then I would have to see a neurologist. And have to go through numerous pet/cat-scans, have wires connected to my brain and I don't want that. Thanks for your concern, but I'm fine...

Mandos
Fine.....hope you don't die.....

Paxelius
I died tonight, but no fear - I do that every night.

IoshIcumIne
I dont really believe OBE is possible. I think that 'floating' feeling is caused by lack of oxygen. I ussualy get that when im nearly asleep, and tired. I believe thats the same feeling you get when youre dying.
Also, I remember having a dream in which i saw myself on the bed, like i was stuck on the ceiling. I think these things are just dreams. Nothing more.

HiddenPotential
When I woke i felt very awake and alert, I remember this because im usually groggie in the morning.
But when I stood up it hit me and I started to shake uncontrollably, like a seizure I guess but not out of control.
It did take everything in my power to walk though, and as soon as I realized that it was a power greater than me, I was brought to tears and it went away.
I was humbled by the overwhelming power of it.
also, I believe it to be God, withought a doubt

you could never understand this unless it happened to you.
It spun my life into a 180.

HiddenPotential
Paxelius, do you see an image of anything, or is it just black?

In my reoccuring dream I get a visual like im peering inside what seems like a square stucture.

Its insane how I feel this but its soo big that it seems as if im not even there, but allowed to look in on it.

Its so big I cant make out what it is and I cant stay in the dream long enough to take it in.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.