The Darkness: Flashback to to stupid 80's hair rock.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lady_Moon
Oh lordy....

I am just thankful that I do not listen to the radio, and The Darkness are part of that reason. I heard them once, and I hope I never venture off into that world again. EVER.

They are seriously like an 80's hair rock band. Even better, they are like Spinal Tap, but they take themselves seriously. They think they are "saving rock and roll." HA! There is a lot of underground rock that is so much better than The Darkness. The only difference is that they are not mainstream crap, so therefore, you get stupid people like Spinal Tap: The Serious Version (they're new name) claiming they are out to save rock and roll. Yea friggin' right.

Mr Zero
The Darkness don't take themselves half as seriously as you do.

Lady_Moon
I wasn't taking myself seriously in any way that you think....

This is a music forum afterall, so it would only seem LOGICAL to talk about MUSIC, eh?

Mr Zero
The Darkness are an elaborate joke - I wouldnt take any of that "we are here to save rock" stuff too seriously: They like what they do and they play the role - but nobody in the UK thinks they are in any way serious.

Lady_Moon
More like an uneeded joke on society. Are you a fan of hair rock or something? Just curious.

Mr Zero
Is there such a thing as "hair rock" ? Wow.

no I'm not a fan - far from it... Not that i dont have the odd rocky cd in the pile, but mostly not.

Lady_Moon
Ahh, okay. Well, it isn't an actual genre called "hair rock", but mainly, it's associated with the music. Well, thats good. Yeah...I have a Ted Nugent record, but thats my dad's, and I haaaate the nuge. What about you?

Mr Zero
I dont own a "Nuge" - In fact I don't have any of your dads albums - so if he asks tell him I lost them.

No tell him I gave them back and he just doesn't remember. Thats it.

Mostly post-rock for me these days. gotta love that minimalist twiddling.

Lady_Moon
lol. Well...it's in my room at the moment, but I really should rid of it. No good, no good.

Do you like Queen?

Mr Zero
Are you trying to find out if Im gay?

Lady_Moon
That's a stupid remark.

I bet all you have heard is We will rock you, bohemian rhapsody, and all the other radio favs that are overplayed.

Have you even heard their early days? Their other "non hits?" No, i'm not talking about their 80's stuff, cause I can agree that sucks.

Mr Zero
I dont much like glam/prog, but everything between "QUEEN" and say "A Night at the opera" i will admit I can recognise as being damn good...

Lady_Moon
Ahh.

A Night at the Opera was really good. I must say, once they got into synths, it was pretty much over.

I don't know if you will like it, but listen to the song Brighton Rock if you get a chance. Who knows?

Mr Zero
I've heard that - a friends sister played that for me years ago ( a live version ?) because she knows I like the book...

Lady_Moon
you like?

ElectricBugaloo
Yeah, but the thing is we already have that joke with The Hives

There IS a genre called Hair Metal which is Ratt, Poison, etc.

Mr Zero
I like ... the book.

Lady_Moon
Ahh, okay.

And my apologies to calling hair metal as hair rock. I did not know better, lol.

Df02
The Darkness arent serious...
for instance - the song "Growing on me" is about pubic lice.... read the lyrics lol.

howver, they are arrogant wankers, and i hate them....but theyre not serious

Phoenix
I love the darkness - they are basically just having some fun

lil bitchiness
I cant stand them cry

Alpha Centauri
They rule. I'm getting tired of everyone dissing them because it's fashionable or because they're having fun.

Enjoying it doesn't equal a gimmick band. Dan and Justin are two of the greatest british guitarists at the moment.

-AC

Lady_Moon
Wow....

They are a gimick band to society, but they wish to progress further into their longing for the 80's. Sad.

And no, they don't rule. smile

bardock
when did you become the all ruling judge of music

ragesRemorse
This band is by far one of the worst bands i have heard in a long itme. I have no inkling of comprehension on how any one bought into this nolstalgia ridden band. Their image is about the worst image a so called rock band could give themselves. Now i dont care for images, if i like your music that is all that counts, but when you choose an image then i will acknowledge it. You wanna know what the darkness is? They are not a modern twist on classic rock bands with hair. they are the regurgatation of all that was wrong and hideously rancid about 70's classic rock, and 80's hair bands. If you are going to emulate an era in music history, dont go with the 80's,that was about the worst time for music aside from this gangsta rap shit.

Darkness blows. They try to hard to be a cross between rush and the stones. you ever see the hives? there is another band that wants to be JUST like the stones.

Alpha Centauri
"They are a gimick band to society, but they wish to progress further into their longing for the 80's. Sad.

And no, they don't rule."

A) They're no gimmick band.

B) They don't have a longing for the 80s. They just have a longing for the DECENT music that was around at that time.

C) Yes, they do rule.

"Darkness blows. They try to hard to be a cross between rush and the stones. you ever see the hives? there is another band that wants to be JUST like the stones."

Yes but The Hives are excellent. Jimmy Eat World are a Weezer rip off but it doesn't make them shit. The Darkness base their style on a particular era. So what? They're like the Outkast of Rock. Everybody loves them, they're extremely good musicians.

I've seen them live in a music store. It was easily 200 or less people. They played that show like they play in stadiums. It's for that reason that they are awesome. Because they love going out, playing music and playing it well. I love intelligent, deep bands like Tool and Radiohead. But it is actually nice to have something fun now and then. People are either too quick to have things fed to them, or they're too scared to like something incase they feel they're following the crowd. I couldn't care less how many people love The Darkness coz I've loved their music since way before most and I got introduced to it by Victor Von Doom who has been listening to them since they were first heard of in bars and pubs. If I like something, I like it. I don't care who else does, well....actually sometimes I do. I don't want idiots listening to Radiohead. But in this case I think The Darkness rule. Quit the fashionable backlash and stop trying to wrap them with labels.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
they make just plain bad music--why would you want to rehash music from the era that is generally considered the worst for music ever: and for good reason. They are another band where the image itself is more important than the music. As for technically, if they are two of the greatest british guitarists of the time, that is just sad.

Dr. Strangelove
I agree, while no way I'm a fan of 80's rock, The Darkness are very talented in my opinion. Also while the Darkness style themselves after the 80's they also have songs like "Black Shuck" that is similar to AC/DC and some of their songs are similar to Queen. I think people take this band way to seriously, they know there copy lots of old bands and really who the hell cares about a image as long as you produce great music which is what The Darkness did with Permission to Land.

Dr. Strangelove
Edit

SnakeEyes
THE DARKNESS ROCK!!!!!!

rock

ElectricBugaloo
How is Permission to Land great in any way? They are a band that cannot come up with thier own identity or sound, so while the singer does his best DLR impression (copying something), they write songs that are, as you say, an AC/DC impression...thier other songs smack of Whitesnake, Ratt and other bands that were no talent hacks in the first place.

They are totally a gimmick band. Their gimmick is:

1) The look.
2) The nostalgia.

The look comes first, just like back in the 80s (which is maybe why they made such bad music in the 80s. Not to say it was all bad,but I have yet to hear a great hair metal album). T

Bierbommetje
IBIATCL is a good song

Then they had there X-Mas thing and I lost interest

Df02
agree with everything but that, Whitesnake were hardly talentless, not in the Vai era neway

Red Superfly
I'm sorry but there's nothing wrong with The Darkness. That's just my opinion.

There are bands that take themselves too seriously, opting instead to have all the character of a lemon. At least The Darkness have some sort of charisma, whether or not the cocky attitude is genuine or not is debatable.

The trouble is, so many people who THINK they know everything, are stuck so far up their own backside as not acknowledge a time to have fun. The Darkness said themselves they are about having a good time, having fun, the whole idea behind rock and roll before everyone decided to get all arty farty about it.

Sure, they copy Queen. They are totally inoffensive in every respect, despite the loud approach to their "shtick".

My friends are always "The Darkness suck, i hope they die" - and half the time I catch them out and say "why". They do not reply, and I say "it's only because everyones slagging them off".

The Darkness (quite arrogantly, yet quite rightly so) said in a documentary that "it's popular for people to slag us off, all the while looking over their shoulder to check if it's OK to like us".

And WTF - AC/DC talentless hacks? You have to be joking.

In that case Eddie Van Halen sucks, being a "hair rocker" - even though he is hailed as one of the most innovative and talented guitarists ever.

I'm sick of people dissing good/talented musicians when the only thing they have arguably done bad is become popular and have a dodgy hair style. We all must like boring bands with their stroppy tight-arse members instead.
Just my two cents, but after catching them live at Leeds, they rock.

ElectricBugaloo
1) I never said that AC/DC were talentless hacks. I said that the bands aping them are.

Van Halen was never a hair metal band, get your facts straight.

slashwristbarbi
I like the Darkness and I'm going to see them in November! Yay!

SnakeEyes
WHERE?

i like the Darkness

Alpha Centauri
"They are totally a gimmick band. Their gimmick is:

1) The look.
2) The nostalgia.

The look comes first, just like back in the 80s"

A gimmick to me is like the violinist from that god awful band Yellowcard. A gimmick to me is something alike to the Slipknot masks. I do not associate appearance with music. Bon Scott dressed relatively normally and Brian Johnson dressed like a docker. Justin is the only one in the band with an extravagent dress sense. Dan dresses normal, Frankie does too and so does Ed. So where people get this "They're a hair metal band coz of the image" theory, I'll never know. AC/DC made great music. So do The Darkness. The look doesn't "come first" to me. The first thing I did when I SAW the image was laugh. It made me laugh. It didn't take long for me to realise that beneath that are great musicians. If you called everyone who sounded alike, a rip off. Then everyone would be unoriginal. By that rationale most bands in existance are Faith No More rip offs. Serj Tankien based his singing style on ONE Faith No More song. Are they rip offs? Unoriginal? No.

The Darkness make music typical of a certain era, yes. So what? Just because alot of the bands tried to imitate each other it didn't mean there were no good bands. Or only the originals were good. Justin wears tight clothing and does star jumps, how that's being a Dave Lee Roth rip off I don't understand. Kiss did the same. I doubt he's looking up to them. Justin is a great showman, as Dave Lee Roth was. They want people to enjoy their concerts visually also. Rather than see Justin just stand there. Maynard of Tool just moves around a little but they have the most astounding visual show there is. Everyone has visual appeal at concerts, The Darkness just so happens to be in appearance. It's comedic, but they are far from a joke.

-AC

finti
thats the area Whitesnake was turned into a hairband .
Whitesnake kind of died after the album Slide It Inn the album before the 1987 album called simply Whitesnake.
Sad to think that Whitesnake is gonna be remebered most for their success from 1987 and after, instead of the area before when they actually were good

slashwristbarbi
I'm goin 2 see em at Newcastle, but they're playing a few dates around the UK.

Kella
i frickin love The Darkness....they are hilarious... laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.