is ali the greatest

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gambit88
alright it comes down to a yes or no answer is he or isn't he the greatest boxer of all time

alic88
my name is ali 2 lol. but nah i aint the greatest

boxofdeath2.0
Well, its actually quite difficult and rather inaccurate to compare him to other boxers from different generations. It's like trying to compare Shaq to Chamberlain. Sure, Shaq is huge, but how can you argue with Wilt's 50 pts/game and 30 boards.

Also, it's tough to compare boxers from different weight classes. B/c pound for pound Ali might not be the best boxer, but he could obviously beat any other boxer that stepped in the ring with him.

What you can say quite safely however, is that Ali was the greatest boxer of his generation and weight class.

kyllacam
ali is da greatest hands down

Joker1237
Nope not Ail.

Suger Ray Robinson

FOLLOW by Joe Gans

Than Benny Lenard

Harry Greb

than Barney Ross

Henry Armstrong

Willie Pep

Sandy Saddler

Peter Jackson

Jack Johnson

MAn there are sure a lot of fighters that are ranked over Ail pound for pound.

kyllacam
are u smokin none of these fighters are even close to the skill of ali
but sugar is close
Joe Gans

Than Benny Lenard

Harry Greb

than Barney Ross

Henry Armstrong

Willie Pep

Sandy Saddler

Peter Jackson

Jack Johnson

AdventChild
Originally posted by Joker1237
Nope not Ail.

Suger Ray Robinson

FOLLOW by Joe Gans

Than Benny Lenard

Harry Greb

than Barney Ross

Henry Armstrong

Willie Pep

Sandy Saddler

Peter Jackson

Jack Johnson

MAn there are sure a lot of fighters that are ranked over Ail pound for pound.
At least, you have some common sense...
Ali is given far too much credit...ali fanboy...

Bicnarok
The greatest at what?
He had courage and stood up for what he believed, helped a lot of people and charities.

And Boxing, at his best he would have beaten anyone IMO. Too much class, so fast will to win and strength.

Joker1237
Benny had done things on Film that Ali could never do, Ali had NO answer for a simple Jab, That was one of his biggest weakness.

I have film of Gans, vs Herman, and Nelson, and man I was amazing at his skill, They far surpast Ali's Gans slug it out with Nelson when he could not out box him(Ali Fraizer??)

Gans even has the power unlike Ali, to keep Nelson off of him. And he drop Nelson about 7 or so times in that 43 round fight.

Ali COULD not go 45 rounds. He would be gas out after 15 rounds.

Ali may have more skills than Greb, MAYBE, But Greb was iron though, and he could thown non stop punchs, He be all over you from round 1 to 15 or 25 or what ever the end of the round was.
Only man to beat Tunney, and he is the Greatness pound for pound fighter EVER. Ali manage like 50 fights, and Greb has 264 wins, 23 losses with 12 draws,

And he was in a WAR with Walker, I dont see Ali measuering up to Greb pound for pound.
It takes heart mostly to win in boxing, and less on Skill. Evey Wallcott was a more COMPLETE fighter than Ali, Ali did lack a defense, he could not bob and weave like Benny did, Ali would have to run away and not get hit.

Jack Johnson could stay in the center of the ring, and NOT get hit.

Mr Parker
I would have to say Rocky Marciano was the greatest because he never lost a bout.Thats pretty damn amazing.

whirlysplat
Lennox Lewis best mod heavyweight, he beat everyone he fought even thos who beat him and he was Olympic champ. Beat the Americans, he was to big and to strong and to smart. big grin

Joker1237
I pretty sure Jack Dempsey would have eaten Lewis for lunch.

jaden101
Ali is not the greatest...his record is actually pretty shoddy compared to some other heavyweights and just like mike tyson...Ali never knew when to quit

Rocky Marciano had an unblemished record...not a single defeat although how much influence the mob had in that remains a mystery

Joker1237
The mob had no controll of Rocky's fights, They wanted Marciano to have a clean image, so they played no part in the out come of Marciano's fights.

And other thing, Marciano did not needed protection because well, Marciano ko a lot of people, and more often than not, they were OUT.

When Marciano ko Rex Layne in 6 rounds, Marciano shatter Layne's teeth. He broke bones in the arms of Roland Lastsa, He smash Lee Sovol's jaw and face, and turn Ezzard Charles's face to pudding. Oh yeah and he ALMOST killed a guy in the ring, after the guy got out of a coma, He was so damage, he could never fight again. The mob did not need to protect Marciano, Marciano could fight.

Also early in the Rock's runing start, He was thown in to the lions, When Rocky was 3-0. He face a guy that was 26-0 and the Rock ko him in 1 round.

Marciano had no mob protection, but he did have Wile who guildied him into a title shot with Walcott, who was a mob fighter.

Cosmo Kramer
Ali could have humiliated Marciano. That computer is nuts!

mr.smiley
Well to separate the lines I believe it's important to distinguish between the 'greatest' and the 'best'.Just because you are considered the greatest doesn't make you pound for pound the best or the most technique.Many people will argue Eric Clapton or Jimmy Hendrix are the greatest guitar players to ever live but that certainly doesn't make them the best.Any day of the week a guy like Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen would tear apart either one of those guys note for note.But that does not make the the greatest or the most popular.

What makes an athelete considered the greatest in his sport doesn't nessacerily depend on how much better he was then the other champions to hold the title before him.What makes them the greatest is what he did while he was the champion.What did he stand for?How much noise did he make under his reign?While I think there are probably plenty of boxers who probably could have taken Ali,I think their are few to none that have been remembered the way he is.

BobbyD
It's hard to say, really. I think there have been better boxers pound for pound.

But, it's hard to strip him of the title of greatest ever when every boxer still calls him "The Greatest", whether they mean it or not. erm

Healing Artisan
he's definitley one of the greatests. thats for sure.

mud_blood_princ
Ali isnt the greatest, Rocky is, did you guys see his last movie, He was like 50 and almost won...and Ali Refused to serve his country, what a ***

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by mud_blood_princ
Ali isnt the greatest, Rocky is, did you guys see his last movie, He was like 50 and almost won...and Ali Refused to serve his country, what a *** Rocky Balboa is a fictional character based on Chuck Webner.

Healing Artisan
Originally posted by mud_blood_princ
Ali isnt the greatest, Rocky is, did you guys see his last movie, He was like 50 and almost won...and Ali Refused to serve his country, what a *** no expression

Caps Conscience
Ali is the greatest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.