secret wars vs infinity gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hitch12157
Personally, I like infinity gauntlett better, they made an omnipotent power, and it stayed that way, no one even came near to hurting Thanos except when he intentionally let it happen.

My complaints on Secret Wars:

The 1st series: I know ofcourse, this is just a matter of opinion, but I thought alot of the heroes and villains were pretty lame, not many good matchups, best one was She-Hulk/Titania, but that fight got interupted. The stupidest thing tho was that Doom stole the Beyonder's power, I mean come on, his armor "analyzed" the Beyonder's energy, how the hell does armor built by a human (albeit a smart human) analyze AND STEAL a God's power?

The 2nd series: Here again I complain because Marvel writer's go through so much trouble to hype up the Beyonder being all-powerful and this and that, yet there are several times throughout this series that the Earth heroes have a chance to kill him, I mean, come on, I don't care if the Beyonder just stood there and let them pummel him, he's a God for Pete's sake, how could any of them even hurt him? Then what was the deal with making that geek the Molcule Man the "2nd most powerful being in the universe", get real, you telling me I'm sposed to accept that little weenie is tougher than someone like Galactus, Celestials, etc, they should have let Doom just rest up and keep the power he stole from Galactus homeworld, he's a much more intimidating deity.

The 3rd series: Actually this was only one comic, but talk about the lamest cop out ever, so now, after all that crap about the Beyonder being so omnipotent and all-powerful, oh, no, wait, he's just part of a cosmic cube, and the Shaper and Kubik can whoop his butt, hmmm, so where were these guys all those time the Beyonder was threatening to destroy the universe?

Seems like no matter how big and bad Marvel makes someone in the end they always gotta bring them down to some kind of manageable level, pretty stupid to always be backpedelling like that if you ask me.

Mane
well, I like the Infinity Gauntlet series as well. i do like Secret Wars, but they did have some errors.

Linkalicious
Secret Wars 2 was a pile of crap. The whole series was absolute junk.

I personally really liked Secret Wars 1. Dr. Doom is capable of a lot of different things. During THE END, he was the one that got inside the Pharoh dudes palace in order to snoop around. He was the lone being to try and prevent that guy from becoming as strong as he was after being aducted. Doom has also defeated the Silver Surfer by absorbing his powers into his suit.

I would NEVER put something past Doom. Even Thanos respects his intellect, though Thano's intellect is greater than that of Doom.

The Infinity Guantlet was written almost 2o years after the original Secret Wars. It was never meant to be a story arc involving the end of the universe, it was merely an arc where the victor was granted anything they wish.

I think it would be better to compare The End vs. The Infinity Guantlet series. Those both involved a supreme power, and they both involved the near destruction of the Marvel Universe.

Alpha Centauri
Whoa. I leave for a while and there's new areas flying around.

I would pick Secret Wars over Infinity Gauntlet for the simple reason that it's a more drawn out story. I.G is mainly excitement factor I think.

-AC

Linkalicious
Also, without Secret Wars....Spiderman would undoubtably be no where near as successful as he currently is.

Without Secret Wars, there is no Venom, no Carnage...and no Symbiote story arc all together.

I found Spiderman's new suit to be a seemingly small idea at the time, that was sucked dry for all it's potential...and it was done wonderfully.

Maelstrom
So we all agree we need a third installment of secert, infinity...I purpose Eternity. He's the coolest of the lot.

Tron
I could understand hitch's reason for not liking Doom take Beyonder's power, but there's something you gotta understand; Doom isn't just "a smart person", he's the smartest man on Earth, right ext to Reed Richards of course. Both of these guys have done totally infathomable things in their time; made time machines, been to different multiverse, been to hell and tricked the devil himself (just Doom actually), and many other things. Yeah, it would seem impossible for a mere human to steal the powers from a god, but that's the level Doom and RIchards work on. They do impossible sh*t as a hobby, cause they have nothing better to do sometimes, lol.

Linkalicious
well....Reed DOES get to boink the Invisible Girl.

So apparently he either knocks her out in one shot. wink or he just don't like the tang...no

Mane
nope. Secret Wars I was in 1985 and Infinity Gauntlet was done in 1991.

Linkalicious
Ooops....must be the editions I have. embarrasment

My Secret Wars look like they were written on an ancient scroll. My IG comics look like they were done only a few years ago. I thought the IG was done in like 94...

Tron
Well, in my opinion, the only reason Sue's still with Reed is because he can "augent" his body.wink

Linkalicious
Poor Namor. All that strength and the whole underwater world at his exposure.

And he still can't compete with....ahem...."Mr. Fantastic"

You think Sue gave him that name?

Alpha Centauri
If she did then lets hope she names no more characters. What a crappy, generic name haha.

"Ok Jonny, you can be fire dude, Ben can be Rock man, I can be 'Look you can't see me' Woman."

-AC

Linkalicious
poor Franklin...sad

hitch12157
I hear ya to a point, but again, that IS my point, the writer's just get a little rediculous sometimes, not just in Secret Wars, but all around, I saw a comic where Captain America beat the Hulk, I mean, get real, the Hulk can stand there and get hit point blank by a tank round and laugh it off, how could a punch from a human even even remotely hurt him? Yes, I know Doom's smart, and I really like Doom, he's a cool villain, but a human, even a very gifted human, is still no match for a God, and wouldn't the Beyonder, who is all-knowing, certainly be aware of the danger in Doom's armor?

Linkalicious
I agree with you there Hitch.

I saw a comic where Batman had used gas against the Hulk, so Hulk held is breath. So Batman kicked him in the stomache and knocked all of the wind out of Hulk...then Hulk choked on the gas and became unconscious.

Seriously, .50 caliber machine gun rounds, tank rounds, and missles hardly scathe Hulk...but a kick from Batman knocks all the wind out of him.

Beyonder was not an "all knowing" god. He came to our universe and stayed in our universe because there was something about it that he didn't understand. I forget exactly what it was, but eventually Beyonder became a mortal (SW II and the comics near THAT time) in order to get a better understanding of what that something was. (sorry i forgot what it was...it was like Love or Compassion...or something stupid)

Doom attempted to suck up Galacticus' powers in Secret Wars as well. I would NEVER put anything past Doom. That is what makes him one of the best villians in Marvel history...

Arachnoidfreak
not attempted, DID. he used Galactus' power to get the Beyonder's.

Linkalicious
I'm missing the comic where he actually gets it. I have the next one where Doom looks like scrap metal in his little suit.

Krissy Von Doom
I think Infinity Gauntlet had more of the "Impact" factor - I mean, how many times have you opened a comic and seen Ironman's head ripped off, Cap's shield shattered, Spidey beaten to a pulp... that was a great read at the time and just the cover to Infinity Gauntlet 5 with Thanos facing the cosmic beings, you knew that was going to be the biggest fight ever. Not to mention the crossovers, the IG saga was actually felt throughout all of Marvel's comics at the time - you're like "IG Crossover, what the hell is that?" and you'd know what was happening in other books after reading it.

Linkalicious
Don't forget how he turned Wolverine's bones into rubber, and trapped Cyclops' head in a cube so that he couldn't breath, and shooting his optic blast would kill him.

G-Judge333
*Judge bumb*

Galan007
The original SW, is still one of the best series' I have ever read in Marvel... Even more so than the IG arc.

SW II/III however, were pieces of shit.

LordFear
IG was so epic. Everything on such a grand scale. ONE of my fav lines was when all the heroes where in the Avenger's Mansion and Spidey was hanging from the ceiling and asked" If this guy is as powerful as people say he is, being God and all, what chance do we have"? and then I THINK it was either Vision or Hercules who said" None". Spidey was thinking " Oh damn so this is a suicide mission "? Nice. I mean iit was just an epic arc

guy222
Originally posted by LordFear
IG was so epic. Everything on such a grand scale. ONE of my fav lines was when all the heroes where in the Avenger's Mansion and Spidey was hanging from the ceiling and asked" If this guy is as powerful as people say he is, being God and all, what chance do we have"? and then I THINK it was either Vision or Hercules who said" None". Spidey was thinking " Oh damn so this is a suicide mission "? Nice. I mean iit was just an epic arc

I thought they were ok. Many flaws. They are both classics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.