Obi-Wan's lightsaber...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chimpwars
have tried to search for this topic but can't see it anywhere, so here goes...

Does anyone know (or has there been any other indication about) which lightsaber Obi-Wan will be seen using in ROTS?
Will it be the one seen in AOTC or ANH or a completely new design?

Just wondering.......

Jedi Priestess
chimp I think they may have covered this in a webdoc....anyone else know?

darktim1
the only one I know is darth sidious lightsaber don't have a clue all know is that it will be blue stream of energy that fights with.

Boris
This is the one he uses in Episode III smile
http://reichnation.com/uploads/ObiEPIVSM.jpg

Master Kadub
isnt that the same one from ANH....?

plus, that sure does resemble Lukes lightsaber
from ROTJ......

hummm.....

Sith Master X
Ah, my favorite lightsaber! Can't wait to see it in Episode 3.

Boris
Yep its the same one only alot cleaner lol

NoFate007
I don't think they need to have him use that. You'd think he'd make a new one after 20 years, right?

Cipher
Would he need a new one hiding in the desert?

I like the idea of him finally having the proper saber, why its taken this long, I don't know.

Luke's saber in ROTJ is very similar to Obi-Wan's (OT). The Emperor's line about it being like Vader's never did make sense....

Anakin2Vader
not when you live in a cave i guess

Mr Zero
AH! But he doesn't SAY it's like Vaders....

Think about it...

Cipher
Right, I thought about that afterwrads. However, it doesn't look like Anakin's
either. Its very similar to Obi's.

Ani and Vader's sabers are similar...

Mr Zero
The Emperor actualy says in reference to Lukes ROTJ Saber

"Ah, yes, a Jedi's weapon. Much like your father's."

And then catches himself and makes a deliberate reversal save by saying something about vader and the dark side and how your father can now never be turned.

It's the one and only hint that we ever get that Vader isn't Lukes father.

Cipher
Vader isn't Luke's father?!

The Emperor just made a mistake, that's all. He's not infallible, I guess.
Just like when he calls Endor the sanctuary moon.....

Mr Zero
Take it that way if you like - personaly I think it confirms what I've always thought, that Obi-Wan is Lukes father.

Cipher
eek!

laughing

Boris
Yes.........

Thirst
the emperor says that in relavence to Jedi, not that the lightsaber looks like Vader's... =/

Anakin Skywalker is Luke Skywalker's father... =/

and what's Darth Sidius's lightsaber look like?

if Obi-Wan makes the same lightsaber again....then that's sad. No uniqueness.

Boris
Darth Sidious' Lightsaber thingy
http://www.reichnation.com/uploads/DarthSidiousSM.jpg

Cipher
The Emperor's line is a mistake, that's all......

While I didn't mind Obi having a different saber in the first two movies, I'm glad to see he'll have the right one in Ep.3.....

peluffo
there was a picture of the duel were we see Obi Wan using the OT saber...

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/8032/otdvd_episode3_theduel6.th.jpg

Master Kadub
Cool.....

but I wonder how Obi Wan gets Anakins lightsaber....?

Anakin2Vader
In Making of Ep3 #2 GL says "This is the one ObiWan will take with him after the duel" while holding Anakins Ep3/Luke 4,5 lightsaber... but whether there will actually be anything said by Anakin to Obi Wan about giving to his son is the question.

peluffo
Not in thisd thread wink

This is about Obi Wan saber smile

Cipher
Obi-Wan made up the part about Anakin wanting Luke to have his saber.
He's a chronic liar......

And the Emperor is talking about Luke's saber being like his father's.

When Anakin seemingly falls to his demise, he drops the saber and Obi takes
it a a trophy.

darktim1
I'm sure that we will all find out how obiwan gets anakins lightsaber when the movie comes out.

jedi90
i think you guys are looking too deep into the quote made by emperor palpatine. when he said "a JEDI'S weapon much like your father's." i don't think he was referring to hilt design and color, just that it was a lightsaber, a weapon his father used when he was a jedi. you also have to remember that the emperor was taunting luke at the time and saying anything to make him think he was doomed to go to the darkside.

Cipher
Maybe Luke was too much of a wuss to respond with anger there: "My saber is nothing like his!!!"

To me, when someone says this thing looks a lot this other thing, they're judging the two things appearances......

Its not huge deal if Lucas made a slight mistake.

Darth_Nefarus
From a certain point of view, Obi-Wan knew Anakin very well. and I am sure that Anakin really would have wanted the children to be trained as Jedi, you know, had he not flipped out and killed everyone.
Besides, Luke's lightsabre is like the top half of Obi-Wan's and the bottom of Anakin's. I like it the best.

guiro72
jedi90 is right....palpatine is not talking about a specific sabre, just sabres in general in that scene....

Cipher
Well.....
That's not the way he says it, though.

Regardless, I like Obi having the proper saber in this movie. It would have been dumb for him to still have the PT saber at the end of Ep.3.......

guiro72
anything harking back to the ot is good for me....that's why i'm here...

i do think palpatine was more just comparing luke and vader, talking about the jedi in general....someone mentioned him realising this as mistake and changing the subject, i'll have to watch for that next time....

don't forget, those two sabres are the only sabres palpatine has seen for 30 odd years, he didn't have his own until lucas just made it up yesterday....

Cipher
True.....
Unless it was just concealed all this time....
wink

peluffo
maybe obi wan losses his saber on the "water fight" against grevious?

then, he need to make another one...

guiro72
in his walking cane..... huh

Cipher
Yeah.... the cane. That's what some people thought Yoda kept his prior to Ep.2.....
And he could lose in that water (wasn't that fuel?). Wasn't there a scene in Ep.1 that was cut where Qui-gon told him about turning it off in water when they were on Naboo? Lucas never throws out an idea.....

Sith Master X
Yep, I've seen pictures from the deleted scene. Don't remember where though.

Ushgarak
Lucas OFTEN throws out ideas! But yes, that scene existed.

Cowboyography
ok while were on sabers here is a question. Where does Lukes Saber go when it falls from the bottom of sky city. Clearly sky city has to be hovering in another planets atmosphere, hence the gravity and all. So did the saber fall to some baron planet cause I would hate to think it could fall into the streets of some densley populated city where a child could pick it up and hurt himself or someone else. wink

Boris
In the EU someone gets both his hand and saber and make a new bad Luke called Luuke, don't know much about it though lol.

csm
Well I tried to post a link to a picture of Obi's saber from EPIII but I am still a noob so they won't allow it. So as with all things I must think outside the box.

I have attached a picture.

Out....................................

Cipher
Well, I like Obi finally getting the right saber, brings it full circle...

By the way, Lucas takes out ideas but he keeps them in mind, thus not throwing them out...

chimpwars
Anyone noticed on the above picture that obi's lightsaber doesn't have a metal 'clip' at the end like in ANH: - looks more like the clips seen on prequel lightsabers.
just an observation...

chimpwars
.........obviously he must have lost his pager holder belt clip thing while slumming it in his tatoine hut...

Ushgarak
No. He throws out LOTS of ideas. Just because he keeps some, does not mean he keeps all, or even close to all.

jedi90
your probably right, but you gotta remember that in the OT there were no sith. GL didn't come up with the idea of the sith until near ep1. in the OT vader was a dark jedi and lightsabers were just "a jedi's weapon" hence why palpatine made that comment to luke.

anyways back on topic. obi-wan's saber for ROTS is a slightly different design from the one in ANH. anyone who is a replica freak will be able to notice the differences besides the whole D ring thing. if anyone wants to see what i'm talking about surf the web for some replica pics of ob-wans saber before the ROTS pics came out and you'll see what i mean.

Pragar
Here's Obi-Wan's ANH saber:

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=mr/mr-obiwanweathered4.jpg

If you compare it with the image that was posted at the top of this page, you'll see that they're different.

This is Master Replicas' version of Obi-Wan's ANH saber as it would look when he first built it:

http://www.rebelscum.com/mrobiwananhsaberasbuilt.asp

So his RotS saber isn't the final one. He has to build a new one, which we see in ANH.

Cipher
Doesn't matter if they're not exact, really. As long as they're close....

Just about every idea I can remember that Lucas dropped from the OT he's using in this trilogy, so far....
Obviously not including the early drafts when the basic concepts were still in a
state of flux......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.