about the original MAIN starwars storyline.........

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nigeyo2000
...spoilers have been drained twisted and exhausted

but after all this, does all the really minor things matter ?

i mean as far as star wars goes im into it, always will be..........

but really all we really need to know in Ep 3 is anakins turn to the darkside and the birth of the the empire/rebellion (thats whats its all about) to tie in all the OT's/PQ's as we know the rest.

i think gl has done a pretty good job

but aren't we heading for a major dissapointment by hoping for things that arent gonna happen ????? so maybe we should get back into the 70/s 80/s feeling for ep 3 ?

i am hopefully turning that way................

and i think the OT dvd will help me
eek! eek! eek!

darktim1
I think episode3 might have some surprises that we might not know for now may force be with you.

captainmidnight
yeah but that whole thing with hayden being in ROTJ really bums me out......sometimes i just wanna kick gl in the head and say "what the hell ya thinking".....i tell ya give him another 20 years and he'll end up f**king up the OT with a bunch of stupid nonsense

SomeGuy57
I agree with you captainmidnight. Hayden should not be in ROTJ, they should keep it the same. If they keep changing stuff, it will be a whole different movie but I dought they will/would change anything else.

Luxorz
Hehe, it's just funny how the fanboys get mad if a thing like that gets changed. big grin

nigeyo2000
^^ yeah it is, buts its not bothering me !!

the debate about hayden or shaw goes on, on another thread here ::http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t307287.html

but im not letting little things spoil the whole star wars thing for me, 4 things for me im looking for:

1 sidious reveals himself, (thats as good as BOV for me)
2 wookies & kashykk
3 birth of twins & naming them
4 birth of vader

queeq
Don't forget fight between OB1 and Ani.

nigeyo2000
^ how could i forget that ?? !!

Cipher
The Duel is going to rock!!

At least, it had better.......

guiro72
looking forward to the tantive as well....

Cipher
Yep. That pic of Anakin standing in the hallway was very cool, even if he isn't
ever there in the course of the film......

darktim1
I can't wait to see the duel I heard it is more violent lightsaber battle than the others.

queeq
That fight should make up for all of the PT so far.

Cipher
Yep, that fight is the pay-off of this trilogy.....

queeq
Well, it better be.

zutalurs
Won't it suck though, watching this kick ass fight between Anakin and OB1 in ROTS. And then watching these two girls poke at each other with sticks in ANH?

Ushgarak
No, because that fight is well made and appropriate to the situation.

zutalurs
I disagree. It WAS well made, but now pales in comparisson. Coming from III to IV, it will be laughable. If anything, Lucas should have added more "fight" into ANH with this re-release.

Ushgarak
Your disagreement is noted- but the fight was calm, considered, technically accurate and remarkably appropriate to a re-match of two old Masters. Changing that would ruin it.

zutalurs
Well, that's your opinion. I think future watchers of the series will disagree and find the fight in ANH laughable.

NoFate007
Even by TPM the duel in ANH was overshadowed. It looks horrible now. The Luke vs Vader fights in TESB and ROTJ are able to match up, despite their still slower pace...but ANH was just terrible. What was the point of Alec Guinness turning around in the middle of it? That looks like they can both barely move.

zutalurs
This is definitely one scene where Lucas could re-shoot with stunt doubles and I would not be upset. Seeing the geriatric sword fight is totally laughable at this point. Sure, Ben may be old, but Vader isn't. He hold shis own against Luke in V and VI. So why doesn't he mop the floor with Arthritis Kenobi?

captainmidnight
thats funny........GL has just confirmed that ben did in fact have arthritis, HEY ZUTZ,have you ever read that book of mice and men,by steinbeck?

zutalurs
Why yes, yes I have. Not sure how it relates. Unless you're calling Ben Candy in a metaphorical kind of way.

Cipher
It wouldn't look right, if they were to change that sequence......
My take on that fight is that Obi-Wan was past his prime and Vader toyed with him when he could have ended it more quickly.

Darth_Nefarus
Vader did say "Your powers are weak old man." It seemed like Vader was attempting to probe his mind and learn of why he would come back, knowing Anakin would destroy him.

Cipher
Good point.

nigeyo2000
nah theres no need at all to change that sequence, its a classic.......

just like the vader v luke ones it fits in perfectly with the story

if they change the actors (which GL wil NEVER EVER do) it will ruin my childhood vader vs obi-wan stick fights with my Bro.....

bad idea

zutalurs
So, in 18 years a man goes from the ability to have the "best fight yet" in Ep III to merely waving his sabre up and down and one uneccessary spin in the middle of the fight?
I doubt Ben is past his prime. Let's review the Yoda fight from Ep II. Seriously, this fight is incongrous to the rest of the series. I'm not saying the Luke/Vader fights look bad. They hold up in my mind. But the Ben/Vader fight does not.
All I'm saying is this; be prepared. I will not be surprissed when Lucas changes this scene, and neither should anyone else.

nigeyo2000

queeq
And he shouldn't. The only way to change it, which I'd hate, is to make a CGI OB1 and Vader. Vader is easy, one can entirely reshoot it with a guy in a suit. But OB1 with Guiness... Ick it'd look terrible. Despite the fact that Lucas likes the way CGI looks.

I agree though that it would look kinda out of place in full six-episode sequence...

zutalurs
I think it would be easier to change than you expect. That scene is short and mainly compossed of close shots. Simply refilm new actors, OB1 wouldn't be hard, just don't show his face. Then edit new long shot footage, that actually shows some movement, in with the close-ups. It wouldn't have to be as fast and furious as the fights in the PT, but show something that looks like Ben hasn't totally forgotten everything.

queeq
Not showing OB1's face would be the problem. It wouldn't work. It's not 'just a fight', it the last meeting of two old masters, two old friends, two old enemies... It needs the face.

zutalurs
There are already shots of Ben's face though. The close-up shots I mentioned before, that are already in the movie, would be the face. I'm not talking about chacking what's there already, but adding in long-shots to add some movement and action.

Cipher
Actually, zutalurs has apoint as far as it being possible: that's kind of how they
Dooku's fighting. But from the time you saw Ep.1 you knew the fights in the OT weren't going to look all that great anymore......

To date, though, I've haven't seen any proof of that scene being changed.

guiro72
not this time....

i hate the idea, but i'm willing to admit that's mainly nostalgia talking....it makes sense, but i hates it anyway....

zutalurs
Hey. If I could have just Star Wars and the the actual "Series" of movies as seperate entities, I would be fine with Lucas doing whatever he wants to ANH. To me, ANH is a totally different movie than Star Wars.

guiro72
guess so, the episode IV subtitle is an addition, so really we should all hate that as well......i'd like a pristine copy of that version....

guiro72
actually, lately i'm getting the feeling that the "archival editions" may just include the originals after all....i thought it was impossible, but now i'm not so sure....don't ask me why, just a feeling i have....

captainmidnight
the obi-wan vs. vader in ANH could be better,but i like it the way it is becouse ben destroys anakin in ep3,he grows old and that gives vader the advantage,i would like to think that ben wanted to be destroyed so he could be one with the force so he could teach luke,by ben becoming a force ghost,luke in a way takes ben and the force more serious.....

guiro72
agree with you there captmidnight.....i think zutalurs is just talking about sprucing it up a little bit, so everything you've said would still hold true....not a mindreader though.....for me, it's nostalgia plain and simple i'm afraid....i just like it how it's always been....

Cipher
The archival editions would cost more with the old movies included....
And from the prices I've seen, it doesn't look likely...

I think we've probably gotten used to the subtitle since its been since 1981, 82? That just made seem like the old movie serials Lucas is enamored with.

guiro72
sorry, archival's are supposed to be the ones that come out after ep III....

just pointing out that if we wanted to be really anal about lucas changing them, then we should be pissed about the subtitle as well...not real serious....too lazy for smilies....

Cipher
Oh right. So far, those are just rumors and wishful thinking....
I don't think George wants to acknowledge them anymore...

guiro72
lucas will take your money no problem....i'm pretty sure the ones that are just coming out now are a stop gap/cash cow.....including the original versions is highly debatable though if that's what you mean....

captainmidnight
just wanted to say i was watching ROTJ and something weird happened,at the end when it shows the 3 wise men,i pictured in my mind haydens face on shaws body,and it made me realize how watching the OT made me think of the PT,and i now have an equal likeness for both sagas,mabey that whole thing with hayden isnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be......

Cipher
From all indications, the original versions of the OT are outdated in Lucas's mind and what we're going to get on these DVDs is it.......

Now, if they were offering some Ultra Deluxe Limited Edition Collectors Box Set
then, yes, I would buy it.....

How great would that be? These new touched-up versions plus the originals with the same clean-up job in a huge set? I'd buy it.....

guiro72
i think there's a huge box coming (or maybe the 3 films sold seperately in a double disc as per eps I and II)....but i've always thought original versions were out of the question....for some reason the other day i suddenly thought, well, he might ya know....he seems to have been bending over backwards to please fans the last couple of years, and he knows he'd sell bucketloads....it's still very doubtful....

have to remind myself sometimes that the changs only actually amount to a few minutes of footage, i tend to blow it out of proportion in my head....

captain midnight, you should have a look around for the hayden scene from rotj, it's been doing the rounds for a while, along with some other assorted screenshots and audio files of changed scenes....still find it wierd myself, but i think i've been desensitized to the point where i'm not really fazed by anything he throws at me anymore....

just read an indepth review of the extras...it all sounds very good, especially the documentary.....

Cipher
Oh, yeah, it sounds great and it supposed to look great.
I'd buy the original versions if they were put out, no question.

guiro72
i think one day i'll probably try to get hold of some unofficial laserdisc dubbed dvd versions if they aren't....

captainmidnight
yeah GL has been doing his best to please everyone,but mabey thats also his weakness,i'd buy the OT in its original form,i think by GL doing all these things like replacing shaw with hayden ETC,he's doing his best to make his masterpiece flawless,and he's doing it for the fans,man somtimes the guy makes me mad,but i love his imagination,so i guess i'm just gonna trust the guys changes and except them for what they are,i guess.....

Cipher
That's all we really can do it seems...
Maybe 2007? I've seen rumors to that effect before.....
30th Anniversary, who knows?

captainmidnight
you know what,there is one thing i personally would like to see changed and thats ben and vaders lightsabres in ANH,damn those things are hideous when compared to the ones in ESB.....

Morgoths_Wrath
I dont think that changing the fight scene between vader and kenobi is a bad idea at all! That fight was lame, lets not kid ourselves. And even though it would be changing the OT, it would def. be for the better. Lets not forget GL already made his little changes to the trilogy by adding scenes and touching it up. Remember Han and Jabba's confrontation in ANH? Dewbacks? The wampa? Cloud city? The new ending scenes in ROTJ? Seriously, if GL can throw a song in the mix of ROTJ at jabbas palace with some weird alien singing from a 3 foot mouth, then adding a little more "fight" to vader and kenobi's fight is entirely acceptable.

jedi90
the fight between vader and obi in ANH can be fixed with some good editing, but honestly i think GL should take out that whole scene all together. just show them meeting and cut to the end where vader strikes obi down. after making the ep3 duel there is no reason to see another duel between them. just showing obi's sacrifice is enough.

midnight, i heard that one of the changes in the OT dvd is that the saber blades have been made to look like the PT.

Cipher
Changing that fight might be acceptable if it could done convincingly......

But I don't really like the idea of Lucas screwing with the OT anymore than he has....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.