Best Game Music [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ABE LINCOLN
I s'pose this could techinically be in the music forum, but personally, I feel it's more appropriate in the games forum. Mods, feel free to move it if you think so.

Anyways...some games just have great music in them, and this thread is to recognize such games. You can name games, or levels from games, that has music you like.

This is gonna be a lot for me, though I'm going to try and ignore the Final Fantasy games because those have a lot as well.

Twisted Metal Black: The Menu Screen, and the Prisson Passage Ambience

Jak 2: When you're being chased by something (the tank in the ammo dump and the spiders later in the game) and the theme in Mar's Tomb is pretty neat as well

Stacraft: All the Zerg Themes

Super Mario: C'mon, you gotta love the themes from Super Mario 1, 2, 3, and Super Mario World. And the castle themes for SMW as well laughing out loud

er...there'll be more as I remember them

WindDancer
I got me the Halo soundtrack and is pretty cool! big grin

I like the music in SW Knights of the Old Republic. All that symphony musics gives the game a pretty good background.

Flying Orange
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy have excellent Star Wars soundtracks big grin

Also, you can't forget the Final Fantasy series. Nobuo Uematsu (yes, I know his name and how to spell it) is an amazing man who created the music for FF's I-X. I don't think he did X-2, but he might revert back for XII. He never had formal music lessons either, which I find remarkable. So many remixes have come out of the Final Fantasy music, it's amazing. I'll bump my thread on the Black Mages, they play FF Rock cool

ABE LINCOLN
*snaps fingers* now I remember...there's a battle music thing in Devil May Cry where it sounds like there's a siren going off in the background--that's one's pretty cool

i'll check out that black mage thing stick out tongue

Trinity_Matrix
Nope, Uematsu didn't do FFX-2, I can't remember the names of the people who did the music for it blink But I love Final Fantasy music yes Jedi Academy's got good music, I haven't started playing Jedi Outcast yet even though I have it :/

Mario and Zelda are also some of my favorites when it comes to video game music.

LeAtHerRFace
Unreal Tournament '04 rocks!: because you can add music from your comp. and make tons of playlists and listen to it while you kill people. Haha, just for fun I played a song by Louis Armstrong"What a wonderful world" while I was slaughtering people with the Minigun and Flak. evil face

SaTsuJiN
Might I suggest www.ocremix.org ?
very good site full of video game music remixes.. and free to boot smile

Arachnoidfreak
Sonic 2(ok, most of them)and Goldeneye had music i loved. and Chrono Trigger - Schala's Theme is f*cking awesome(i burned it several times) I also liked the Strider music

Darth Jello
several music theory proffessors use the Castlevania series as a musical aid

the original megaman games are equally impressive.

oh, and let us not forget the x-men arcade game

Jargon343
The Final Fantasy series, particularly FF7. Metal Gear Solid (the PSX version, didn't like the second ones music much), Halo, Twisted Metal Black (stones baby).

FlappingMangera
I loved the music in Vice City, nice that someone took it back to the 80's. I always thought the nintendo tunes were great as well. Simple enough yet brainwashingly powerful. Think mario tune

Darth Revan
The music itself to Zelda OOT and WW is good... It sounds kinda crappy on the games because it's just MIDI there but I've heard the hyrule field song played by a full symphonic orchestra and it sounded really really good... Whoever did that must've had a lot of time on their hands big grin

And the music in "Crazy Taxi" was good because it was the Offspring big grin

Trinity_Matrix
I have a techno remixed version of the Great Fairy's Fountain from Zelda OOT, it's really cool.

Holy Man
i like some of the super smash bros melee music

ABE LINCOLN
A lot of those came from the games that they're based off though (The Mario 2 landscape has the Mario 2 theme, for example)

Tptmanno1
I like it when the music fits the game.
Like in the last level of Call of Duty. Its this huge string thingy and your taking back Berlin and its all very cinematic.

Tptmanno1
OK thought this had been done before but the search thingy didn't turn nothin up so here goes.

What game in your opinion has the best soundtrack?
I know a bunch of you are going to go with Final Fantasy, but My vote goes to the Tony Hawk pro skater games. They had the best soundtrack ever. Rage, Chili peppers, others I can't remember(all thats from THPS 2). It was just kickass, and still is.

SpiderGurl
Chrono Cross

TrAnCeDuO
Final Fantasy VI...i havent heard anything that can top it!

cal31
Madden 2004 or MVP Baseball 2004, any EA game always has great music.

KidRock
Vice city

Gory Game Lover
Red Tournament.It has Final Fantasy songs,Vice City songs,EA sports songs,and even NFSU songs!It does have strong lyrics.

ChickinMeat
Deus ex had some catchy tunes in it. Sonic Adventure games have awesome music. Quake 2 has wicked music. Warioland 4 on the GBA has great music.

so many games have great music, i cant choose just one.

SaTsuJiN
I like final fantasy 6 and 7 soundtrack... if I had to pick a different genre I'd say Mario 64 had some awesome music

Fearnix
Unlimited Saga
(Dolby Surround Pro Logic II) ****ing great

JKozzy
Final Fantasy VII on the PS1

Final Fantasy X on the PS2

The Golden Sun games on GBA. Holy shit.

§pearhead
Tony Hawk songs are decent, but there's always a load that I disable because I hate them.

The Twisted Metal Two and Black themes rock thumb up

some in Jak 2 are decent.

The Super Mario World themes, gotta love those.

Zerg Ambiences for Starcraft/Brood War also are pretty damned good.

Final Fantasys are good as well, but they're a bit cliche stick out tongue

MC Mike
GTA: Vice City big grin

And The one Doom 3 song was very very good. smile

JRatT12
Final Fantasy 7 is the best but i also like the Twisted metal music (from alll of them)

SaTsuJiN
lol I like twisted metal 1's music.. 2's was pretty cool.. but then they started using 'brand name' music... which got annoying.. my fave is the final stage music from TM1

BackFire
Final Fantasy 6 had outstanding music, as did all of the FF games.

Samas-adian
Mario and Zelda tunes. So damn catchy.

Silver Stardust
Damn straight!!!

Final Fantasy X would have to have my vote, I absolutely love the music from it.

Agent Elrond
FF and Zelda. Love them all. big grin

Silver Stardust
Oh yeah, how could I forget Zelda?

OK, I amend what I said. FFX and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time big grin

(though FF and Zelda kick ass in general yes )

Agent Elrond
The Ocarina songs were cool, the music in MM was so-so. the temple musics kinda sucked

Xed
Super smash Bros. melee. Such a selection and all soooo good. I'm listening to them now.

Yassin
Final Fantasy....just beautiful and don"t forget METAL GEAR SOLID....!!!

Lord_Andres
WHAT? nobody's mentioned Warcraft 2 and 3, IMO by far the best music in any video game, oh just one other thing, Red Alert 1 had a kick as song called Hell March!

dark1365
Super Smash Melee. That, or Lord of the Rings. Melee's music sounded like it was perfect for a "heroic" scene in the LOTR movies. Kinda like when the Rohirrim charged in Return of the King.

Wolf Dog
Megan X and of course probablly the best.... Street Fighter 2 for the arcade.

General Kaliero
The Zelda series has great music, my favorites are Zelda 2's Thunderbird Palace and Ocarina's Gerudo Valley.

The Metroid series has excellent music, as well. Super Metroid in particular.

Golden Sun's music was good enough that I would listen to it while doing chores.

Final Fantasy has awesome music as well. The final boss battles are always amazing. And anything with Latin chorus is a plus in my book.

ChickinMeat
i forgot to mention the wipeout series, the music on those games is awesome to say the least

dark1365
Super Smash Melee has most of the Nintendo soundtracks, and even more, they improved to it! I liked the Hyrule Temple music, Brinstar Depths, and the Brinstar music.

gls
it all depends on what type of music you like...like for me i enjoy a bunch of different genres (rock rap trance pop almost everything--except country).
but 2 of the games that i think have the best music is Re-Volt and Jet Grind Radio --both for the dreamcast.

wicker_man
GTA : San Andreas (Radio X that is)
Backyard Wrestling
Fifa 98 & 2004
& The Tony Hawks Series

forumcrew
sports games or GTA

Silver Stardust
Gerudo Valley was probably my favorite from Zelda, too.

"Liberi Fatali" from FFVIII...great song. I loved it. And Seymour's theme from FFX just creeped me out...which makes sense because he's such a creepy character. I also loved "Hymn of the Fayth".

dark1365
Yeah....Zelda brings back fond memories. Like that forest song. And the original Zelda theme.(Hyrule places)

Joker1237
In Link's awaking for game boy(I am a Zelda fan) I always loved to hear Marin;s ballet of the windfish.

To bad for Marin, that when the island faded away, she died. I was real sad when I beat the game .

dark1365
I vote for "Aboard Amber Clad" or whatever from the Halo 2 soundtrack. Hell, that song just makes me want to do something heroic.

ScarFace Clone
San andreas and Vice City!

Draco69
Chrono Cross. The opening theme is brilliant.

Jason420
san andreas
vice city
ocarina of time(all of it)
and i like the music in katamari damacy its funny and weird

Maverick2364
MGS2 opening orchestrated theme kicks ass. You can hear it here:
http://www.playstationpro2.com/music/download/mgs2_main.html

Tony Hawk, EA Sports, and Halo's main theme all had great music as well.

Jason420
i like the theme song for MGS3

Red Superfly
Any Zelda tune inspires so many fond memories. I don't think I was ever so engrossed with a game, so absorbed into the world itself, than in Zelda Ocarina Of Time.

I remember wanderring into Gerudo Valley for the first time on Epona, with the sun in the distance and the beautiful canyon up ahead. The music added so much to that game.

The jingles on the Ocarina are iconic in video game history.

Machete_Guy
Halo 1 theme

Dazzler619
Sonic 1 and 2
Resident Evil:Codename Veronica
Kingdom Hearts
Marvel vs. Capcom

SaTsuJiN
Final Fantasies 6 , 7 and 10.. (i only liked real emotion from ffx-2)
Metal Gear Solid 1 (absolutely love "The best is yet to come"wink
I like the redone halo theme for halo2 (where the violins kick in)
and the flood themes for halo1.. that creepy violin
Resident Evil 1 (original and the GC remake) and RE4 also have great music
Chrono Trigger
WarCraft 3 / TFT
World of Warcraft
Diablo 2 / LoD
And Definately Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time (although windwakers melodies are pretty awesome too)

JKozzy
Anything by Nobuo Uematsu is good on my list... I've pretty much heard/have it all, remixes, etc, for the most part. Sonic, Mario, the themes are classics to me.

Kenshinswife
Final Fantasy x,x-2
Zelda orcarina of time
Mario
Need for speed
Kingdom hearts

Aku
Tony Hawks 2. Come on Rage Against The Machine rock!!!

dark1365
Halo 2 makes the best use of instrumental music.

Bierbommetje
Duke Nukem had some ****ing great tunes

Zen2nd
Blow me Away, High Charity, Halo Theme Mjolnir Mix and Connected, some of the greatest songs from Halo 2

DracotheDragon
I'd Have to say Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, only because I can't really think of other games's soundtracks off hand, so I'm gonna go with THPS2.

Red Superfly
THSP2 has a kick ass soundtrack, but it's licensed stuff. I consider that cheating.

Lets keep this to in-house stuff.

Zen2nd
Just downloaded it. Memories flashed back to me when I heard it, such a class song.

Thael
The Getaway- Black Monday had some catchy tunes to it. stick out tongue

DiViNe diFiNIty
you wanna scrap all of these games with there shity tunes u wanna get kingdom under fire the crusaders there tunes kick ass

DarkAge
Which games do you think have the most impressive music? I've always liked the music from the DKC trilogy and Square's RPGs.

SnakeEyes
KOTOR one and two have good soundtracks IMO

Revan X
Kotor 1 music is a little better than 2.

ChickinMeat
The Doom Games
Quake2
Sonic Adventure 1+2
Retro Sonic Games
retro Mario Games
3D Mario games
Metal Gear Solid Games
Painkiller
Deus Ex 1+2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Prince Of Persia SoT & WW
Legend Of Zelda Games
Beyond Good And Evil
Wipeout Games
Resident Evil Games
Silent Hill Games
Oddworld Games

theres a few that i like stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
I thought there was a thread titled "best game soundtracks" .hmm...
in any case.. I find ALOT of the game musics today to be very engrossing.. you guys should visit http://www.ocremix.org/ if you havent.. there are remixers there that do some very high quality remixin of some great game tunes smile

Red Superfly
Metal Gear Solid is really impressive with it's music. The music during The Fury fight is stunning.

Punk Tiger
Sonic Heroes (This Machine) big grin It's very good, listening to it now, I downloaded it! big grin
Zelda (Temple of Time, Fire Temple, Great Bay, still thinking....)

FlappingMangera
This is old school, but double dragon II. great soundtrack

sky shadow
http://www.arrakis-ttm.com/doom/s_avanim.gif

Stealth Agent
Metal gear's music is always awesome

dark1365
Earth City: Halo 2 ST. Track 13.

Listening to that makes you want to do something heroic.

Punk Tiger
Am I allowed to tell you where to get Sonic music from on here?

Linkalicious
I only like the music in EA sports games and in racing games...

T.M
Tony Hawk pro skater 2 has awesome music i have it on my MP3 player big grin

Linkalicious
oh yah....Tony Hawk usually has some b!tching songs on it too.

DCLXVI
MGS Series; KotOR Series; HALO Series; Fable; LotR Series; RC; and possibly RotS....wink

Tptmanno1
Hawk allways had tight stuff on it.
But for ambiance music, COD has some tight stuff,
The strings during a huge russian battle is so epic.

Punk Tiger
Am I allowed?

T.M
does anyone know where i can find the soundtrack song list or know it themselves for Tony Hawk pro skater 1 ??

please someone i want to know it

ragesRemorse
It's hard to say what game has the best music, because some times your not talking about a games music, but rather their licensing. GTA vice city and san andreas has awsome music, probably the best in video games. Again though this isnt the games music, they just bought the rights, or already owned them.

I would probably say off hand. Final fantasy X. An entire orchestra was sought after for this soundtrack. Fable, you can never go wrong with danny elfman. Finally, Halo had some of the finest battle music out there.

Punk Tiger
Helloooooooooooooo?

savagerampage
Tony Hawk underground2's soundtrack is the best ive heard in any game.

If you like trance, check out f-zero gx for the cube, as well as rouge agent. metal gears music is done by a famous movie composer.

classic music ahhhh u gotta love, the mario,zelda,double dragon series
heck what about the megaman series!!!!!! bubble mans theme song

check out the link for some classic sounds
http://www.vgmusic.com

ChickinMeat
yeah vgmusic.com is an excellent site, been looking at it for years now

and along with f-zero and trance, listen to the Wipeout games, they have some real good trance on there playlists

savagerampage
darn i forgot the wipeout games

ChickinMeat
*gasps* how can you forget the wipeout games!!!

- GET OUT!

stick out tongue

PS, and when you come back, bring donuts, chocolate ones!

pr1983
Best original music either metal gear solid or resident evil games imo...

best soundtrack... GTA series...

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by pr1983
Best original music either metal gear

Harry Gregson-Williams is a legend!

dark1365
The Halo Mjolnir Mix, and Blow Me Away(Breaking Benjamin) were good songs on the Halo 2 ST.

powerfulone1987
The best music was definitely the aeon musci on Final Fantasy X.
Just whistling the tune to myself or listening to the sound bite version on my computer or thinking about it brings back nastalgia and watering of the eyes and occasionally some tears. This game is one of my favorite games and also my first Final Fantasy game.

Kaistar
If we are talking about original music, then Guilty Gear XX #Reload

dark1365
The best soundtrack would be SSBM...so many improved music from the classics. My personal favourite themes in that one would be Hyrule Temple(perfect for a crazy sword fight scene), Brinstar, and Brinstar Depths.

quadraxis
RETRO SONIC AND MARIO
I ALSO LIKE SUPER METROID FOR NINTENDO

quadraxis
RETRO MARIO AND SONIC
I ALSO LIKE SUPER METROIDS MUSIC FOR SUPER NINTENDO

ChickinMeat
http://na.square-enix.com/sei/index.htm

probably already seen it, but this is nobuo uematsu's final fantasy rock band! they sound really good, might have to find a CD on ebay or something.

on the site goto Music > Uematsu's Music, then on the next screen, scroll down and look for a banner saying "The Black Mages", they have FF7 battletheme on there, its awesome live!

Sith Master X
I like Zelda's music the most. It has always fit perfectly with the game.

speiderman
Resident Evil

Super mario

Darth Jello
anthing with the words final fantasy, castlevania, zelda, or megaman in the title

black robb
Super Smash Bros Melee, especially The Fountain of Dreams level

linkslittlehelp
i think these

sonic adventure two
legend of zelda oot
kingdom hearts
ffx
ffl
super mario 64
and mortal kombat deception

linkslittlehelp
Originally posted by black robb
Super Smash Bros Melee, especially The Fountain of Dreams level

that is awesome soundtrack too

dark1365
I find this one very inspiring.
Earth City
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7086/Halo-2-Soundtrack-Earth-City-Theme

This 'un is good, too.
The Last Spartan
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7141/Halo-2-Soundtrack-The-Last-Spartan

gls
Jet Grind Radio (US dreamcast release)
and Re-Volt (also for DC)

AdventChild
best music for fighting games is rock and or techno in my opinion....

TheOne101
I agree techno and dance stuff that's really fast and bumbping is a good way to go. It keeps the heart rate up and keeps the adrenaline pumping.

Blue Dragon
Zelda as great music, nice music... happy

Primitive Screwhead
Burnout 3 and SSX3 have the best soundtracks ever... you would hope that would be the case with customizable soundtracks.

Beelzebuu
My favorite soundtracks are from Chrono Trigger and Cross and Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2). The cleared level theme for Dark Chronicle is very relaxing and I love Magus's boss fight music in Trigger and Zeal Theme in Trigger. The remix in Cross is the best thing in my opinion. Fighting the Fused Dragon was way cooler cause of the song.

shadow12
zelda series and metriod series

sith_darth_jay
Zelda-----who can't forget that tune
Mario---- nice but I'm sick of it now
any Tony hawk Game
Final Fantazy---- each and evryone of them
MGS and MGS2----- classics just like zalda
but the best one of all: Vice City..... (sorry, I'm an 80's Child embarrasment )

dark1365
Xbox-----Voted Halo 2 soundtrack as their choice
Nintendo---Voted SSBM as their choice
Sony------(??)

Black Waltz #3
All final fantasy series games have the best sound track but 7 is the best out of all

Lord S
Hitman 2: Silent Assassins
X-Men: COTA (Magneto's stage)
Jurassic Park (SNES) had some pretty good music as well.

ZephroCarnelian
Gran Turismo 4

- Feeder, Queens of the Stone Age, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs....

Benjio
Final Fantasy 7 IMO for a real game soundtrack (written especially), but THUG 1 was cool, and JSRF is pretty cool too

I actually think the Doom (original) soundtrack is awesome, even though its like MIDI quality, it could be class if it was re-done with guitars/drums etc.

ragesRemorse
Halo, Fable, and final fantasy have the best scores i have ever heard in a video game. Silent hill has the best ambient sound effects.

Gta3, vice city and andreas all have the best game soundtracks though.

stingray005
The Halo 2 Mjolnir mix and the earth city songs are f****** awesome.

ScarFace Clone
T.H.U.G. Vice City, San Andreas

dark1365
Earth City is by far the best instrumental classical song I've ever heard in a game.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7086/Halo-2-Soundtrack-Earth-City-Theme/

Darth Jello
wow.....ok

NES:
1. Castlevania IIIbig grinracula's Curse
2. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
3. Megaman 2
4. Faxanadu
5. Metroid

Gameboy:
1. Link's Awakening
2. Super Mario Land
3. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
4. The Castlevania Adventure
5. Super Mario Land 2

SNES:
1. Super Castlevania IV
2. Super Metroid
3. A Link to the Past
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Super Mario All-Stars
N64:
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Super Mario 64
4. Castlevania: Legacy of Evil
GBA:
1. A Link to the Past/Four Swords
2. The Minish Cap
3. Metroid: Zero Mission
4. Metroid Fusion
5. Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls

rouge24
i say sonic has the best soundtrack

and for gameboy(all of them) i always liked the pokemon music(don't kill me for saying that, just my opinion).

SaTsuJiN
Lately I like Lineage 2 soundtrack and WoW soundtrack

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Any game I can enable my custom soundtrack stick out tongue

Nah, just kidding. I would say either Fable (courtesy of Danny Elfman) or KOTOR.
An honourable mention to NFSU2.

shadow12
Originally posted by rouge24
i say sonic has the best soundtrack

and for gameboy(all of them) i always liked the pokemon music(don't kill me for saying that, just my opinion).
its alright but it gets anoying after a while

rouge24
Originally posted by shadow12
its alright but it gets anoying after a while

which one? sonic, pokemon or both?

i also think "jet set radio future" has a good soundtrack, but it gets annoying after a while too....

shadow12
pokemon but sonic songs get old quick too

Neil MeqVren
Let's see...

Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker (loved the intro)
Chrono Cross (played it so much I heard it in my sleep!!)
Final Fantasy VII (my first PSX game)
Halo 1 & 2
Lunar SSSC and EB (they both have their own sound track!)

linkslittlehelp
i like music from

1.legend of zelda
2.sonic the hedgehog
3.final fantasy

§P0oONY
Originally posted by linkslittlehelp
i like music from

1.legend of zelda
2.sonic the hedgehog
3.final fantasy

Outrun 2

Ast Rofan
I love Zelda's music, I heard Twilight Princess will be done with an orchestra.

I love alot of the Halo music as well, especially that main theme. And I have to say Mario, everyone knows the Mario theme.

Zen2nd
This was done before I thought, well anyway I like the music from Halo 2

Wolf Dog
megaman x
best video game soundtrack ever

systemshock2
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time: Hyrule symphony. Really good orchestral compositions based on the themes of the game.

Red Superfly
Zelda by far. Timeless classics. Every tune, every jingle reminds me of something fun. From the forest tune, to the Nocturne Of Shadow, to Zeldas Lullaby, and the best one of all was the amazing Gerudo Fortress tune.

One of my favourite gaming set pieces is when you stride into Gerudo Valley for the first time, on horseback, the sun shining. Then you jump over the canyon with the waterfall, to that amazing tune.

snake_eyes616
MGS series IMO

sailormoon
I like music from the Sonic games and Kingdom Hearts!!!!!! love happy

snake_eyes616
oh yeah forgot bout KH! (howd that happen?, lol)

General Zodiac
1- Sonic
2- Mario (Who doesn't know that theme song?)
3- Zelda

DarkCanadian
Halo
SSBM
WoW

Serra_Keto
I like the Advent Rising music... Nice and relaxing.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>