florida

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr. Bacon
if this next giant hurricane hits florida we may not have a florida anymore, that would make it 3 hurricanes in 4 weeks, they are just gettin there ass kicked down there sad

Mr Zero
YAY!

Agent Elrond
why "yay"?

SaTsuJiN
poor florida.. nothing they can do really except get a blowup raft and keep an umbrella handy

Mr Zero
why not?

Agent Elrond
Charley, Frances and possibly Ivan. Three big storms to hit in a short time. Florida is a mess. It';s gonna cost billions of dollars to repair it

Mr. Bacon
its alreay at like 16 billion

Nazgulinthedark
my dads friend lives in melborne, which got the worst of fraces, and they didnt leave or go to a shelter like smart people no...but theyre fine, i think ivan was going to hit the bahamas, and then fizzle out to a tropical storm before it hit the us, so it wont be as bad as frances was, but i hope disney world is ok

Mr Zero
We have abused the planets resources - america is in complete and utter denial of the effects of global warming and I'm supposed to get weepy when Mother nature rears up and bites the USA on the ass? No.

Mr. Bacon
now they say its headed for jamaica and then possibly florida on monday, its a category five now

Nazgulinthedark
its not only the us that is contributing to the whole in the ozne layer

Mr. Bacon
^ what she said

Mr Zero
Two words for you - Kyoto Agreement.

Agent Elrond
u could show some compassion. that was a very cold-hearted statement u made.

Mr Zero
Cold hearted? Me?

The USA is dumb enough to vote for and keep a president thats so in thrall to the oil based multinationals that he ignores the changes to the global climate in favour of lining the pockets of the already mega-rich ****tards that backed him.

THATS cold. I'm merely laughing to keep my spirits up as the ship goes down.

Royal Knight
I have always wanted to live through a hurricane...hearing the howling winds the pelting rain...it would be soooooo excitingbig grin

Plus if Ivan does hit Florida, then Florida will take weeks even months to get back to normal.

Also it would be a record for 3 hurricanes hitting in 3 consecutive times.

And if Ivan keeps its winds about 160+ MPH then Florida will suffersad
...again

Mr. Bacon
^ i agree, they r gonna be devastated

KidRock

Mr Zero
It's not stupidity - It's schadenfreude.

Thats a word I learned on the special bus - incidentally also where I learned that the UK doesn't have a president.

Agent Elrond
I assume ur talking about the 200 election. Guess what? More than half voted for Gore. America doesn't like Bush, but we're stuck with him. Anyway, how the f#ck did this get political. Hate our govenment, not our people, u ignorant bastard

Royal Knight
http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/09/01/20040909122709990011

Hurricane Ivan on the loose

Nazgulinthedark
ya, my mistake embarrasment, i get jamaica and the bahamas confused, cause they are both in the caribbean

Mr Zero
Can't I do both?

OK Im kidding - love you yankeeees.

It got political because it IS political.

Nazgulinthedark
i am not a yankee, i am a southerner diva stick out tongue

Royal Knight
keep on topic please

Agent Elrond
It's a powerful monster. It's now a Cat 4, but it's winds are 150mpg. It needs 155mph to be a Cat 5.

Nazgulinthedark
wasnt camille a cat 4? confused messed

Mr. Bacon
now ur a south dakotian

Royal Knight
i think it was cat 5

lil bitchiness
Please keep this on topic, and no personal insults nono

Agent Elrond
not even close, more like Cat 6. It was a huge, powerful storm with winds over 200mph

The Omega

Royal Knight
there is no cat 6 hurricanes..

there is only a scale from 1-5stick out tongue

Agent Elrond
thank u Lil B. This was beginning to get ugly, and I have no idea why. damn trolls

Royal Knight
big grin

Royal Knight
yeah getting ugly in a weather thread, now why would people want to do thatblink

Mr Zero
That would be one of those personal insults that you have just been warned NOT to make.

MC Mike
Thank you. yes

Agent Elrond
it's an exageration, clearly. Cat 5 or made up Cat 6, doesn't matter, it's gonna destory everything in it's path.

Ivan could restrenghen back to Cat 5. It'll be the first Cat 5 to hit mainland since Andrew, I think

Silver Stardust
BACK ON TOPIC.

Last I heard, which was about 6 hours ago when I had the news on, Ivan's a category 5 hurricane.

Mr Zero
I'm not sure what you mean - I think the topic is "Florida" and it seems to me that if Florida (and currently the storms caused by global worming) isn't political then nothing is.

Or did you mean "I dont like your political views - keep quiet?"

Silver Stardust
The thread title is Florida. The topic is how it's about to be hit by a third hurricane.

Mr Zero
I thought that was what i just said?

Silver Stardust
So what's so damn political about a friggin' hurricane?!

KidRock
This thread has nothing to do with politics..

Nazgulinthedark
i just turned on the weather channel and the weather guy said that ivan was headed for jamaca and then will go into the central part of the gulf, and get bits of the westen part of pensula in flordia.

orlando and tampa is getting some severe thunderstorms and they call for thunderstorms in the central pennisula

The Omega
(Hm - what ISN'T politics...?)

Mr Zero
I say again....

Global Warming and the Kyoto Agreement.

Agent Elrond
Ivan has already killed over 20 people. Do u feel a little sympathy for those lost, Mr. Zero

Mr Zero
Sympathy is reserved for the survivors - but I know what you mean (I think)

I translate my grief into rage and use that to fuel my activism. The alternative is to act like you care and do nothing. Choose a side.

Agent Elrond
global warming is not the cause of the hurricans. it would take a loong time for global warming to have any effect on hurricans. One strong year means nothing. It's all about the averages.

Silver Stardust
Hate to bust your bubble, Mr Zero, but hurricanes have happened a lot longer than global warming has been an issue.

RaventheOnly
Hurricanes have been hitting that spot since existence .... you gonna blame earthquakes on underground nuclear testing? It hasn't even been fully proven that we can pump enough chemicals to affect the earths temperature even though i assume we do but that isn't what is at stake and i doubt 4 years of pollution could make the hole any bigger then it already was .... eek! if your gonna blame the US for all pollution problems in the world maybe you should really look to strip mining coal and forests because if you learned on your special ed school bus 40+ percent of the earth still burns coal for power stations and 20% is nuclear while the other last percent is oil,hydro electric power, and solar energy eek!

How about we talk about the true purpose of this thread.... the people who may lose thier homes and lifes to a storm.

ssj4goku
see that where you are wrong it would make four
did you forget about bonnie that one hit florida first then charlie then frances and now ivan man talk about god having a serious grudge against the floridians

Arachnoidfreak
I'm way too lazy to do the first, so I opt for the second option.

ssj4goku
uh i choose to help the floridians any way i can my friend lives down there

bardock
i have one friend in florida

Arachnoidfreak
I have very close family in Florida, and I STILL choose the second option. I have my own problems to worry about, let them deal with theirs.

RaventheOnly
wow.... that sucks big time....

botankus
I'm trying to figure out how people who don't even live where Hurricanes threaten their way of life between May and November can make ANY comment whatsoever about the situation.

If you don't live in Hurricane target zones, all you can do is watch CNN a lot and say repetitive and highly intelligent comments like, "Gawd, that reporter sure is dumb fer standing out thar in that thar storm." You don't need to know any knowledge about it because you have a 0.001% chance of ever being affected by one.

However, if you DO live in Hurricane areas, watching these storms gives you further opportunity to learn about the science behind the storm, it's tendencies, safety habits, what NOT to do during a storm, how and when to evacuate if necessary, and also the feeling that someone else is about to (the wait is nerveracking) get what you've gotten before.

I don't care how light people in other areas make of the "false alarm" storms (where a ton of people are evacuated but it's "only" a Category 2 like Frances), I guarantee you being surrounded by sustained 80 mile and hour winds for five hours is no small thing.

On that note, North Carolina officially passes the title of Hurricane Alley crown to Florida. We had it for 2003 (Isabel); Florida clearly deserves it (even just with Charley) for 2004.

BackFire
Man, there's always some hurricane in Florida, I don't eve care anymore.

botankus
...And, BF, you shouldn't. Hurricanes are our problem. Like if there's an earthquake in California we read about it in the newspaper headlines and two minutes later we're off doing something else.

BackFire
Fine by me.

The Omega

Agent Elrond
The Earth goes through periods of warm and cold. We had an ice age 10k yeas ago, maybe the Earth is in a warming period. The Earth's tilt does change slightly and that effects the climate.

Florida is always at risk for hurricanes. It's in a major pathway. The best thing that can be done is to rebuild the homes to be stronger and hopefully they'll surive another storm.

Ivan is now "down" to 140, but that still a powerful Cat 4. If it hits Florida, well.........

vaya_the_elf
Or save up money and move somewhere else

Fiery Eyes
The Hurricane are horrible, it's awful that Florida is going thru all of this. My brother and dad both live there. MY dad has been by himself thru both hurricanes and now here comes the 3rd. He said he's nerves can't handle it. i can just imagine.

ragesRemorse
Man these Hurricanes this year were nothing but dissapointments. I mean what's the death toll, like 40 somthin? I dont know, what a pussy of a hurricane. why dont Hurricanes shoot for triple digets in the death toll? If were gonna get some destruction, i want some mayhem. Not a pussy ass class 2 hurricane.

Agent Elrond
hurricane warnings have become more reliable and have helped people get away from the danger areas. back 80 years ago, there were no warning and hurricanes hit cities that had no warning, with a huge lose of life

Darth Sauron
I resent that staement.

Do not use 'Brit' as an insult.

We dont have a president, hes a prime minister, and he isnt a 'lap dog' hes an ally, he goes to war because theres a nice little bit of paper somewhere that says he has to go if america go.

Dont listen to Mr Zero hes being a dick, i have some family friends in Florida and him being the arrogant person he is being in this thread is infuriating me, so please, feel free to cll him what you like.
Just dont insult britain and our prime minster when you yourself got angry at america and bush being bashed.

ragesRemorse
dude, Tony blair is the man. Blair diddnt have to go to war with America, regaurdless of the treadies. Blair would still have been the man even if he diddnt shoose to back america. i hear many people in england or atleast sheffield hate blair. Even my girlfriend (who is english) hates him, i asked why and she just gave me all of these positive actions that he did, i said well that sounds like he has done good things. She said yea,but he is just i dont know. After pausing for about ten minutes after saying i dont know, she went on some kind of spiel with him and the queen . this is when i stopped actually listening to the impressionable jibberish that came out of her head.

ladygrim
smile

Darth Sauron
People hate tony blair because of the dossier on Iraq being 'sexed up'
For setting that guy up to take the fall for it, and the guy killed himself.

Although none of it was -really- his fault

Royal Knight
Florida has not been hit by three hurricanes in a single season since 1964, and this season has been the worst in Florida since 1992. Charley, which hit Aug. 13, and Frances, which hit Sunday, caused up to $20 billion in combined damage in Florida.

Royal Knight
AT 5 p.m. EDT today--Hurricane Ivan strengthened to a rare Category 5 storm capable of catastrophic damage, leaving Jamaica and aiming for the Cayman Islands with winds reaching 165 MPH with wind gusts over 200 MPH, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said Saturday. Ivan has killed 56 people across the Caribbean so far this week, including 34 in Grenada and 11 in Jamaica.

Royal Knight
Only three Category 5 storms are known to have hit the United States. The last was Hurricane Andrew, which hit South Florida in 1992, killing 43 people and causing more than $30 billion in damage.

Maverick2364
Bacon, what if Ivan whipes out Disney World! Then we wont have our band trip to Floridasad

Tex
Yeah, I'm like SO over all these hurricanes.
Dont live in Florida if it bothers you so much!

tongue10

Royal Knight
I agree with you omega

I think global warming does affect the weather in all parts of the world
melting the polar ice caps as well

The oceans temps are affected as well..i was watching something on tv and the oceans temp was 1 degree higher then last year..that one degree can do a lot to the weather

Royal Knight
I wouldn't want to live in Florida...it is open to hurricanes

I will take the desert any day than live therebig grin

lil bitchiness
I wanted to live in America. big grin But after speaking to few people and reading few things, i dont think I want to anymore happy

Seen the thing on the news today...its terrible, but then again, storms and floods happen very very often in India and especially Bangladesh.

BackFire
You live in the UK, not much different from America to be honest. Probably the only difference is there's smarter people in the UK for the most part.

Tptmanno1
lol,

IMO Hurricanes are like earthquakes, they come with the area, I feel SOME sympaty for the people, but no more than I do for us when we get a earthquake, which we are probably due for soon. anyway, just be prepared and hope for the best.

BackFire
I agree, I tire of people whining about hurricanes when they live in florida. You know they're going to happen when you move there, just like here in California with earthquakes. Get hurrican insurance and shut up about it. Don't like it? Move.

TrAnCeDuO
not everyone's rich though Backfire

Agent Elrond
Ivan is now a Cat 4 @150mph, preparing to hit Cuba. Likely track is to gulf and could hit the Panhandle or Gulf Coast by Tues/Wed. It's gonna be one hell of a storm.

Agent Elrond
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W+GIF/122058W.gif

Make that Wed/Thur it'll hit, and cuba might be spared the full brunt of the storm. The warm Gulf Waters are a fuel source, so this storm could become bigger. that would be cool, and also suck. I love weather, esp bad storms. too bad they cause alot of suffering

botankus
And you yourself are a disappointment with your ZERO knowledge about hurricanes. And the fact that you have the grammar skills of a donkey lowers your credibility ten-fold. Who in their right mind would take comments from someone who posts like that seriously?

By the way, it's called a "Category Two" Hurricane, and even a Cat 2 would beat you to the ground if you stood in its way for five or six hours, which is what most people had to do.

Linkalicious
Who cares what it does to Cuba?

Poor Cancun, Mexico...cry

Agent Elrond
It's back up to Cat 5, with winds up to 160. It'll brush by Cuba, then enter the Gulf. After that, who knows what'll happen. It seems most of Florida will be spared, only the panhandle could get hit, but it's still early. This'll be the 4th Cat 5 storm to hit US Mainland, Andrew was the last.

A4E
I like America cry

Nazgulinthedark
they said now its going for the coast of mississippi, alabama, and louisiana, and the panhandle, and itll hit new orleans...sad all my realatives live in new orleans, or right out side of it cry

Mr. Bacon
sad

Agent Elrond
fcuk, that sucks. it may sound cruel, but I want Ivan to hit the Gulf coast, not Florida. If Ivan was to hit Florida, it would cause massive damage and set-back repairs even more. Florida needs a break. Tragically, at the expense of another state/city. I hope ur relatives will be alright

Nazgulinthedark
they probably will, theyve lived in louisiana all their lives, they can deal with huricanes, but ya, flordia has had it rough

botankus
Residents of FL and NC have the highest probability of getting direct hits from hurricanes - around 60% combined. Louisiana is way lower than this number.

Even though one of the Cat 5's that hit the mainland was Camille, which hit the Gulf Coast in the '60's.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.