The best way to tackle international terrorism ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Papaumau
Bush tried to do it with a sledgehammer cracking a wallnut but all he succeeded in doing was making the world a MUCH more dangerous place.

Now we see Al-Quaeda-connected attacks occurring all over the world with impunity......

What would YOU do to deal with this scourge ?

Paxelius
Now that we have masses of terrorists it's no easy way to get rid of them. We should have acted preemptively to make good relations instead of egotistical and vile exploitations of their culture, faith and integrity.

botankus
Send all terrorism detainees to county prisons in the following cities for one month for unsupervised detention among all of the prisoners:

Los Angeles
St. Louis
Detroit
Atlanta
Dallas

...and they will never go after anyone again. Why? Their fellow prisoners would assure that.

Paxelius
It's a tragedy! People hate each other and constantly ponder new ways of effectively killing each other. How did it start ?

Fëanor
you can attract more flies with honey than with bitter lemons...

Paxelius
Well, this is how it started:

Humans are complex yet simple creatures. We have honor, love and a strong sense of justice. If someone feels mortally threatened he will attack. We now have a large group of people who driven to the extreme is ready to do anything in their power to justify their lives.

Why did we have to drive them to the extreme ?

Linkalicious
I don't think what president Bush did made things in the world all that much worst. And I think it's kind of unfair to say such a thing...

The world has always been the same place, filled with terrorists, sickos, and ass.holes.

What's different? The media.

After watching Nick Burg get beheaded...did you think that was the first time something that bad has happened? Because it's not...it's just the first time it's been recorded on film.

30 years ago, the world didn't get to hear about every little terrorist move made in another country. Now adays we hear about everything from night clubs being bombed killing hundreds of peopl all the way to small suicide attacks that kill only one person and injure 3. We hear about EVERYTHING.

Hell...even Halloween feels the effect of the media. Why don't we see as many trick or treators anymore? It's because one year some sick son of a b!tch gave out candy with a razor blade in it. Or some kid one year got abducted. Now parents are afraid to let their kids go out trick or treating because they are afraid their kids may be hurt. Suuuure why not stop millions of children from going out and having a good time, if ONE of the millions might end up getting hurt?

The more media coverage we get....the worst this world seems....when infact, it's the same place it's always been.

naybean
I dont think we can solve it - there are always going to be people out there that will finance and participate in terrorism. I think the war on terrorism has given them just another reason to hate us.

pr1983
i'm really not trying to offend anyone here, but form what i've seen difference of religious and political and moral opinion seem to be the main contributors to terrorism as much as some nutcases who just like hurting people.

Paxelius
It's unfair to say that Bush shouldn't have gone to war ?!

Yes, the media portraits these atrocities in a modern medium, we had to be there to know the horrors in ancient times. Nothing has changed, but that mean everyting is in perfect order ?

Linkalicious
how do you solve terrorism?

You solve it by making the whole world aware of it. You solve it by sticking up for yourself instead of letting someone else stick up for you.

Everyone has to do their part, not just a team, or an army, or a single nation. Every nation has to be on the same page. The whole world needs to act out against terrism...not just those countries that feel they need to stick up for others.

THAT is why the United States doesn't get attacked as much as it seems they should. Our country is enormous....our borders are huge. There's no reason to think we shouldn't get attacked more...aside from the fact MOST of our nation feels that they need to do their part in order to stop terrorism.

why did 9/11 even happen? Because someone at an airport didn't think a terrorist would ever try to hi-jack a plane with a simple box cutter.

It only takes one slip up...then people start losing their lives. If you stay on your toes, and do your part....the world will be a safer place.

Linkalicious
i didn't say it was "unfair to say that Bush shouldn't have gone to war"

I think it's unfair to say...

because I don't think HE is responsible for making this world more dangerous, infact, i don't think the world is anymore dangerous than it ever was....it just SEEMS that way because of the media.

I wouldn't say perfect order, because we are humans beings....and human beings aren't perfect. Nor would I ever want us to be perfect.

It is our imperfections that make us who we are...and we learn through our imperfections and mistakes...
Besides...who is it that decides what perfect order is? Wouldn't a human have to define "perfect order" and since humans are imperfect...doesn't that make them incapable of such a feat?

botankus
Didn't you know, Link, that sometimes people hear (read) different things when they're hell-bent on a particular opinion? wink

Paxelius
Link:
why did 9/11 happen?

I've heard they (the arab terrorists) wanted to stop the 'world terrorist' (as they put it, and frankly: who's right or wrong here?) - USA, from gaining economic control of the whole earth and to end the desecration of their values and lifestyles.

We might be incapable of ending wars and hate against each other, but we're far below any decent standard by today.

Botankus: You presume too much if this was aimed at me. I'm rather trying to not be so fixed in my definition of the world, because I don't know all sides and the media lies.

Linkalicious
yah, i did know that.

I just said what needs to be done....not how it needs to be done.

It's a theory...not something I feel will be acted out during my time.

botankus
Eh, I'm not one for arguing politics anyways. You guys have at it. I already forsee triple-digit post counts by the end of the day.

Linkalicious
you're not getting the point of my post.

I know the Arab terrorists motives for attacking us. I was stating WHY it was a successful attack.

Would those planes have ever hit the WTC or the Pentagon (if THAT was a plane) if those Arab hijackers never got on the plane to begin with?

If they had no weapon to kill the captain and detain the passengers...what would they have done to gain control of the plane?

BackFire
I'll agree with Link on the media thing.

I'll also go ahead and say that I don't think there is any way to stop terrorist attacks. They will always be there.

Paxelius
But to think we can build a state that is immaculately clean of terrorists and safe is but an illusion, cause terrorists are ordinary people that has been wronged to the brink of madness.

Now this is a major political issue true, I've heard about the horrible Patriot Act 3, my point is that USA is obviously not doing much right in the battle against terrorism. They basically instigated this war (with Iraq) on their own egotistical accords, not paying heed of UN and most european countries which didn't support this war at all. And how can you call that War on terrorism, when the terrorists were not connected to Iraq at all ?. something smells fishy and I won't eat it.

Linkalicious
i dont' feel that you can build a state that is immaculately clean of terrorist. Because a terrorist can be created over night.

If an American soldier kills a small boy's father, then there's a good chance that boy will grow up to hate Americans. (or any country)

There's only 2 things I can think of to stop terrorism:

1.) Find a way to creat a Big Brother...like in Orwell's 1984. a creation that monitiors everyone at all times...(a ridiculous idea)

2.) prove God exsists, and that one religious groups beliefs are actually THE correct beliefs. That way there is only one God, and that one God thinks only that one way. That erases religious intolerance. Then everyone needs to keep having interracial sex so that after a couple hundred generations of mixing results in people with all the same skin color. that eliminates racism. But that still won't stop people from hating one another to the point where they will act out.

Both situations are pretty much impossible....which would make preventing terrorism pretty much....Impossible.

pr1983
i think u hit the nail on the head, its impossible to stop terrorism, we can try and fight it but in the end they'll always be there.

Linkalicious
yah...

I was just looking for an excuse to say interracial sex...on the boards. big grin

Paxelius
Link:
your 1) sounds like Patriot Act 3.
now 2) religion has alot to do with it yes. But not the real reason 9/11 happened.

I won't be that pessimistic, I think it could be solved slow and surely by restoring good relations between people of all cultures. sometimes good relation means to back off and let people do their thing.

pr1983
but letting some people doing there own thing is sometimes inhumane, look at half of africa, they stone women because they have babies out of wedlock, even when they're raped. its not all of africa, but some countries all over the world have to be stopped from oppressing people.

Paxelius
Yes, but you should not force yourself and your highborne ideals on people, educate yes, they have to discovery it for themselves to change. It's like what is happening in Iraq now, USA aimed to build a democracy there, but true democracy comes from the heart of the masses that is ready and able to uphold such ideals. Not forced upon.

pr1983
of course, but that said some people arent willing to learn

TrAnCeDuO
even if it has already been said i just want to say that it is impossible to stop terrorism...man will always fight...and man will always find a scapegoat to justify the violence...

also its morally wrong...who the hell are we to judge? our slate isnt so clean! in a different perspective maybe they are right? maybe the USA is nothing more that a modern day conquering empire? if so then who are we to stop them from justice?

or maybe they are as bad as you make them out to be...who knows? but no matter what you cant stop them...

pr1983
the u.s. is not invincible, not yet anyway

TrAnCeDuO
as i said...who are we to stop them before we enter that kind of state?

ragesRemorse
Why dont they just hold terrorist convention, and ounce they all come blow it up? I mean hasnt any one thought of this shit?

RaventheOnly
eek! and put a big sticker on the that says TERRORIST SUSPECT eek! shifty none would survive shifty

RaventheOnly
Actually... there have been less attacks in Isreal and all the activity other then in Spain and Russia have been concentrated in Iraq.... the Saudi's seem to be catching a few high rollers since we turned the heat up in the region... erm

The best ways would be spies... and special forces strikes on training camps and in big cities.

TrAnCeDuO
as i said...who are we to stop them before we enter that kind of state?

RaventheOnly
Then they shouldn't have picked a direct fight with the US ... they are going to feel our punishment with our armies.

Darth Sauron
No, sombody will feel punishment from your armies. Not necessarily the terrorists.

I dont think America knows fully what its getting into, its not just a 'A direct fight with the U.S' what they are asking for as a direct fight with anyone and everyone who disagrees with what the Koran or any other holy books say.

What people dont seem to see is that its only a few extremists doing this, im worrying about the muslims in america, england and russia because of the backlash they will suffer. Already i have heard that the majority of people searched without warrant or just randomly on the streets are arab or muslim.

In years to come, when the sept. 11, Beslan, Bali and everything going on currently, is being discussed in a history class, Muslim prejudice is going to be brought back up, look inside classrooms, When kids do world war 2 they are overcome with the thought all Germans are nazis.

The thing is though, the nazi party is gone. What about when they come out thinking 'i hate all the muslims, terrorists!'

Mulim religion will still be here, so that will grow, future youth is going to be overtaken by prejudice they will a whole culture just because of a few.

That is believe is a terrorist trait, we are, and will continue, making ourselves stoop to their level.

Its worrying to think about the future.

ragesRemorse
The muslim american way of life has not been effected from the war in Iraq. Now i know this is just the majority, of course prejudice situations occur all the time. I say this because of interviews from mike savage. He has traveld to muslim american communities, and interviewed thousands about there life in America after the war was started. They all said basically the same thing. After 9/11 people stared down at them in hate or suspicion, but now they try not to even look at them.when they do, it is eigther because they are scared for us or feel sorry for us.

There would be no more mental segragation twords the muslims than there is now. Well assuming things stay the way they are. I know this may change because a few terrorists have been found hiding out in muslim communities in America, and many more are believed to be doing so. America has become a sensative country. Everyone has to be sensative to everyone elses needs and beliefs and feelings. This is all forced upon us. I believe in ten years, the muslim population in America will have been doubled. Airports now, have been obligated to supply a bathing station for muslims. a bathing station so that they can wash their feet , it is somthing for their religoun. this is somthing that will be mandatory for all American airports. WHAT THE SHIT? that should piss you off as an american. considering what is going on now, twenty years from now when this shit is being discussed in history books it will all be twisted gibberish mirroring they way history books teach about history Now. There is no, has been none, and will not be any kind of biased backlash on the muslim community.This country is to pussified for that.

What school did you go to, where after learning about world war II that kids are thinking that germans are still all nazi's? I mean that just sounds like bad teaching to me.

Darth Sauron
Ok, the nazi germany thing was a bit...exaggerated, but its true that english people will still use the term 'nazi' to refer to Germans at times, its kinda sad, when England play Germany its all swearing at them, calling them nazis...

THere may have not been a backlash on the muslim community yet in America, who are you to say their wont be? There has been one in britain, we think we are the next in line we have temples being burnt down, we have stories of muslims being attacked in the streets.

ragesRemorse
yeah i know. I was taking into consideration that i cannot tell the future. If things were to stay the same as they are now. then there would be no racial backlash. Of course your going to have it here and there, but no where near the scale that blacks get from whites and from what whites get from blacks, or even how asians are treated in america. the Asian thing has been dieing out though. Muslim americans are very smart and hardworking people. They seem to know where to live to stay out of the way so that racism cannot be a problem. I am not being racial, but just merely giving observations of what i see.

I know there have been alot of problems in Europe. Even still with jews. i have no inkling on how it' spelt and cant be arsed to look it up, but i hear that several jewish temples have been burnt down. One of which was expressed as a jewish business when reported in America. there are muslims being attacked in europe? why, i thought Englands census on America was as a fascist terror country that is bent on making the entire world into America. this is what my girlfriend said about england. she ended up hating me because i was an American and chose to stand behind my country. I only say all of this because she said that most of England is against the war and America. So whats causing people to lash out on Muslims?

Darth Sauron
England isnt anti america or anti bush, its the press, they blow things out of proportion.
People were against the war in Iraq and suddenly the papers are saying 'ENGLAND SAYS NO TO BUSH!'

But when the war started people started paying that little bit more attention of what was happening, noticed how Iraq was and still is killing soldiers and journalists even 500 days after bush declared the war over.
They notice the terror attacks.

America and Britain went to war, Spain backed them up America has been attacked before, spain was attacked with the trains, Britain is currently very wary about the muslim culture here we feel we are next, if you could see the papers recently its all about terror swoops and how the police are finding more and more people linked with al quieda

Df02
theres not much you can do with them... they want us out of their countries, yet at the same time they want to be able to come over to the west and claim benefits and jobs.

its like all the crazy clerics in the UK, Abu Hamza and the like. they sit around claiming benefits off the government while ranting about how much they hate it and encouraging kids to become suicide bombers... but because of "freedom of speech" we have to pay for armed security to protect them while they rant - incase someone with sense decides to kick the shit out of him.

so not only are we paying to keep them here (when they should be deported with just the clothes on their backs) we're paying to protect them aswell...

and Freedom of speech doesnt work, if ne1 was to stand up and rant about how much they hated te east and its "muslim invaders" (they call the war a christian invasion, so im playing off that) theyd be stopped straight away and locked up.
protect the guilty, not the innocent in this country haha

sorry if this offends ne1, i ranted abit because its a bit of a sore spot for me... im not anti-muslim in any way, im anti-fanatic

ragesRemorse
Wow, that is terrible. how long have you had that kind of terror hysteria has it been magnified just recently? I know europe has been on terror alert since 9/11. I just meant to the level you are saying that is going onnow.

Yeah i diddnt mean to say that all of england was against america and the war. It was just to hear how some pople from England were speaking about America, when they had no knowledge whatso ever of what they were tlaking about.

Papaumau
Link'...and others...

I cannot agree that the world is the same place it was before 9/11 or before Bush sent the American/British war-machine into Iraq looking for terrorists.

Yes, there was terrorist groups like Black September and Bader Mienhoff and ETA and the PLO long before 9/11 but they were never as large, worldwide, well-organised or well financed as Al-Quaeda are today.

I blame Bush and Blair for throwing fuel onto THAT particular fire by their heavy-handed and clumsy methods to try to show their people that they were doing something - ANYTHING - to pay them back for 9/11.

The policy of taking this war to the world has come back and hit them hard and instead of reducing the international hatred towards The West it has encouraged the growth of terrorism in general and the support for Al-Quaeda in particular.

Now every Muslim is seen as a potential terrorist simply because we are now so divided apart from the Muslim world that we haven't a clue who are terrorists and who are not.

Yes, the media is much more efficient at reporting terrorist atrocities than it used to be but even if this is true this does not make international terrorism any more rife.....It just is !

NOW...The Answer:

I don't know if there is one easy answer to this increased terrorism but I do know a few things, ( some that have already been mentioned earlier ), that might help.......

1). America should be less imperialistic and they should show willing to help the cause of international peace...NOT WAR !

2). The Muslim religion should take a stand and prove to the world that all the atrocities commited under Jihad and Intefada and the name of Allah ARE NOT supported by the main Muslim religion. If all Muslim terrorists were excommunicated by their church then the rest of the world would look much more kindly towards this religion.

3). The people who are supporting and giving succour to the terrorists should be encouraged to give them up by the rest of the peace-lovers in their own countries.

4). There should be a powerfuland multi religious/ethnic think-tank convened to discover all of the ways that can be found to beat international terrorism AND the reasons behind it so that we can ALL start to do things in a different way in order to create the right conditions for total world peace. ( Maybe convened under the auspices of the United Nations ).

Of course there will always be small factions who feel that the only way forward is by terrorist means and these small groups are unlikely to change their ways of doing NO MATTER what we do. As long as terrorism is kept to a minimum I think that THAT is all we can do.

Right..I have said enough...now I will shut up and let someone else speak !

Darth Sauron
Im not sure.
There was sept 11, and after that we kinda got a bit wary
then the war in Iraq came along, we thought that being allied with america would make them target us.
Australia was attacked part of the commonwealth, us next?
Spain was attacked, two of the three main countries in the war in Iraq attacked.
Then it was in the papers that the police had stopped a group of people who had been creating a large bomb in an empty garage in the city, they said the bomb could have killed alot of people.
So now its always in the paper somewhere that sombody has been arrested and that they are linked to al queada
then we kicked Abu Hamza out of our country
then just recently a reporter proved how easy it is to do an act of terror, she purchased all the ingredients needed to make a bomb inside an airport and all of which are allowed in your hand luggage

Df02
yea we got rid of Abu Hamza, but theres still that guy who claims that killing British women and children is just, and that muslim children should become suicide bombers...

theres hundreds of them, preaching anti-west hate in our own country and we're too PC minded to do nething about it, apart from pay them to do it

Darth Sauron
We cant do anything about it.

Freedom of speech, they can whatever they like.

Df02

ladygrim
very very true ... either way you lose you keep your mouth shut you dont get newhere you say wat u feel then ur in the wrong so wat r u to do

Darth Sauron
Both good points.

Racism works both ways to some extent, but its leinient on the ethnic groups.

finti
first off, to handle the terrorist is information.
Why do people chose to become terrorists, study the subject and gain knowledge about the why`s.
The best way to fight terrorism is information

Papaumau
Yeah Finti...I agree that information is the strongest power here, but where to we get this information ?

There is such a gulf between the terrorists and the ordinary people of this world that information about them and what they are doing does NOT disseminate through to the free world.

The only way to try to get info' on the terrorist cells and what they are planning is to have spies on the inside. As all of these people know everybody else in each cell and as the cells don't often have contact with each-other to infliltrate a mole is almost impossible and is a very dangerous job to do.

Because most of these terrorists are held together by religion there is very seldom a crack in the bond that holds them together. Because of this informants from within are very very rare.

finti
not just info "we" gather, information passed out to educate in areas that are breathing grounds and recruting grounds for terrorism

Tptmanno1
I think the only way we can reduce terrorism is by stop giving them a reason to terrorize, if we act with more caution, more thought, and try not to piss as many people off, less will hate us to the extent that tey do and the problem may just solve itself.

RaventheOnly
I seriously disagree they were far better fuinanced before Sept. 11 ... there operations were so well funded that they cold operate covertly and not worry about anyone watching... or caring.... Its just that there attack was to get our attention so that there operations can truly comence... they built an infrastructure in secret so they could prepare for this mment and we are barely realizing now how exsstensive thier planning was... they never expected the allies to strike so hard.. they are use to us getting stuck in the peace process crap and now they are feeling the burn from the pressure we are exerting... there hasn't been an attack in any major allied country yet... except Spain... but even then no one expected someone to attack that particular country... Russia was not allied with us and that only proves that they were going to attack any and every major power.

1) what imperialism... we are striping countries of thier freedom or resources... our army was putting to rest a madman that has been defying the world for decades... it was UN mandate that we were to act after his final sanction expired and he refused to comply... it was the UN that did not go threw with what it said. Our intolerance for the region caused Pakastan and Saudi Arabia to help us ot start rotting out the terrorists in thier countries. erm

2) how many times do the Muslims have to denounce the attacks? they do it everytime there is one... the enemy doesn't care the Muslim extremist look is just a cover story they don't care about thier religion they just want power.

3) Pakastan and Saudi Arabia are somewhat complying but in actauality most of the enemy relies are coming from central Europe... erm

4) Aggression in the enemies eyes can only be matched by aggression they proved that with the Russian hostages... they knew the Russian's weren't going to negotiate and they purposely killed those people.

RaventheOnly
Yes Information is very important but the enemy has def ears... they are basically brainwashed into thier belief... we must knock out the media outputs that feed them thier lies and educate the Eastern community truly on the West.

The only thing that we have that can rout them out is our spies and our special forces. The cells cna be infiltrated we proved it before.

The first thing we must do is to discredit thier claims htat they fight for the Muslim belief.... the upper enchelon of thier organization are using them as puppets and its all for power.

Papaumau
We have to see what is behind the hatred for the West in general and the Americans in particular !

( If we accept that jealousy and envy for the freedom and riches of the West is at the VERY forefront of their ideology then we can move on to the rest of the reasons ).

The poorer peoples of the middle East, ( the majority ), are all immersed in their religion and it is this religion that draws them together...nothing else.

Yes the top terrorists want power in their own countries and if they do not own oil then the only way to get power is through strife or through growing and selling Opium products.

The growing hatred of anything American is fuel to this fire and these extremists and criminals, ( for that is what they would be if they did not have a cause to fight for ), know that the only way that they are going to get support for their private agendas is to make sure that the sheep are made to invoke their religion at every opportunity.

If the misuse of the Muslim religion was stopped by the moderate clerics then these terrorists would just have to go back to being drug warlords and crooks and bandits.

It is the power of the Muslim church which gives these animals the credibility that they need to wind up the rest of the breast-beating fanatics.

THIS...is the heart and soul of terrorism in the Middle East !

finti
not all terrorists are muslims

Papaumau
Of course you are right Finty...But it is the Muslim terrorists that we are talking about here I think !

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.