Asgard Vs Olympus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Maestro
What do yah think???

The people of Odin's Dimension Vs the people of Zeus's dimension in an all out brawl.

This is on the scenario that they decided to have a war.

ScarletSpider
I would favor Asgard. Despite the fact that they're less well known, the Norse myths seem to have much more to them, and they're the gods of a warrior people, I think they would be tougher overall. Odin had to gouge out one of his own eyes and hang himself for 9 days. Zeus never had to do that. The biggest challenge he faced was skipping town every couple weeks when Hera discovered his latest infidelity.

I wish Marvel would do a bit more with the Heliopians. We've seen Khonshu, Set and Bast, but I'd like to delve more in depth with that pantheon, as has been done with the Asgardians and Olympians. We've also seen bits and pieces of American Indian gods, (Silverclaw's mom, the Thunder God that empowered Inali Redpath) which I would like to see more of, as they represent a different group of worship and stories than the usual European ones.

Maestro
Yea i would have to agree about the fact Odin and the asgards are better fighters, but i wouldn't underestimate the olympians seeing that their mythology is based around fighting and sorts, making them most probably good fighters. On the other subject of sets patheon, i would prefer to see more of him as his character is linked to black magic and sorts, and could make a good nemesis to other pantheon gods.
But seemless to say, the last i heard of set he was trapped in another dimension.

crazyspinz
asgaurd exists in the marvel universe, so the people of there universe would kick olypus's a$$

Maestro
Olympus exists in the marvel universe as well yes

crazyspinz
realy, this ididnt know embarrasment well then, thor still kicks ass

Maestro
bump

who?-kid
Hm, Asgard (worshipped by bloodthirsty vikings who drink out of the skulls of their enemies and who want to die fighting with a sword in the hand) against Olympus (nice thinking, Socrates, now let's all lie down and eat grapes).

My vote goes to Asgard. Has the best mythology also.

Krissy Von Doom
Don't the Asgardian population outnumber the Olympians by a staggering amount? Anyway, you'll have....

The two skyfathers: Odin vs Zeus + Poseidon & Hades...3 on 1?

Beyonder
Krissy Von Doom

Don't the Asgardian population outnumber the Olympians by a staggering amount? Anyway, you'll have....The two skyfathers: Odin vs Zeus + Poseidon & Hades...3 on 1?

Ah! But according to Marvel, Odin inherited the powers of both his brothers Vili and Ve. And Odin has demonstrated greater feats than Zeus to my knowledge. Thus Odin is 3X the skyfather than Zeus, Poseidon, or Hades.

However, when talking about skyfathers, I think the term refers to head/top god. Though Hades and Poseidon do rule their own realm, they are not considered top god of the Olympian pantheon. Pluto = Hela and Odin > Hela.

Joker1237
If we are useing the Real myths, I go with the greek Gods. The Norse gods can be killed, but you cant kill a Greek God.

Other thing Greek myths are not lets sit down and eat food.

How about Achilles, the warrior who can not be killed unless you hit his heel,

Or Hurc the stogset man alive

Or Theuse, slayer of the mintor.

Or Odession, hero of the Trojan war??

I going for the Greek gods and there mighty heros here.

wrathofachilles
Yes, that question should be addressed. If you're referring to Marvel versions, probably the Asgardians. If you're referring to historical counterparts, the Olympians hands down. The Asgardian gods are not invincible, they are immortal but can be killed. The Olympians *screw the Hercules tv show and that blood of the Hind crap* can only be sent to Tartaros, not killed. Zeus is unbeatable, while Odin loses in Ragnarok. Warrior people or not, the Vikings did not acknowledge the eternity of their gods, the Greeks did. And the Sockrates, grapes, and pacifist philosophical attitude of the Greeks is a stereotype, and a greatly inaccurate one at that. The Greeks fought more than even the Americans do.

Paola
Marvel versions please...

wrathofachilles
Ok, then the Asgardians. Do the Olympians even show up in Marvel comics? I know Hercules is an ally of Thor, but I've never seen the Olympians represented.

Tron
I don't know any issues, but I know they've shown up a few times. Only time I can think of is when they, Asgard, and the other gods dealt with the Celestials.

wrathofachilles
Has Zeus ever fought Odin?

ScarletSpider
Venus has also been a major Olympian god to appear in comics. I believe she had her own title for awhile, and has made several appearances.

I don't know if Zeus and Odin have ever fought. However I can help with some Olympian apperances. Zeus, Ares, Venus and more appear in the first issue of the Champions. Zeus, Athena, and possibly more appear in issue 9 I believe it is of New Warriors volume 2. There are of course others but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment. I believe when Thor first became King, he had to go through some stuff with the other elder gods, a right of ascendancy almost, and Zeus helped him out and appeared a few times. So they are around, but are just not as popular as the Norse ones when it comes to sales.

crazyspinz
isnt thor and herculies cosins in the marvel universe?

wrathofachilles
That's incredibly annoying. Venus is the Roman name for Aphrodite or Kypris, why would they call the Olympians by their Greek names *accurate* except for her? As a Classicist, I have no choice but to ***** about that. Sorry for those of you who don't get that, but it's required.

If Thor and Hercules are cousins, I'm very interested to hear how the hell they pulled that off.

who?-kid
Strictly speaking, we should talk about Heracles (true name) instead of Hercules (Roman name).

ScarletSpider
I think at some point they discussed that the gods kind of choose what name they wish to go by. They've been called several different things throughout the ages, most choose what they like best.

Hercules and Thor are not cousins, but Thor and Set from the Heliopian (Egyptian/African) pantheon are cousins.

wrathofachilles
Thor and Set? Oh Jesus...that writer needs to be shot.

PanSatyr
I think this is a hard one to compare - in the Marvel Universe, I think the Greek Gods were a lot weaker than the DC Universe. The avengers managed to zap a couple of them down in early episodes (I guess they could zap the Asgardians down too - dang plot queues!).

Marvel : Asgard > Olympians
DC : Olympians > Asgard
Myth : Olympians > Asgard.

I'd vote the Olympians in due to the fact that they all specialize in different areas - diverse attack plans, and with Athena on their side, and also - in the case of myth, they didn't have problems turning to Herc to enlist help (not too proud to use alternate plans). - Not voting for Ares to get any kills though wink. Resourcefulness over straight attacks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.