Is this right?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
I go to a catholic high school in a little suburb of Toronto.

So we have an enforced uniform policy in our school.
Dress pants, shirts, kilts, dress shoes, etc..
No hats are to be worn inside between 8:40 and 2:40 too.

Do you think it's right that the school put into the policy that no piercings that are un natural are allowed? I don't mean the plain ears, double holes thing, I'm talking about eyebrow, lip, nose, etc....

Do you agree or disagree with it?

Royal Knight
I agree...if it is the dress code policy then you have to obey it

silver_tears
But do you think it's alright that they are deciding what we do to ourselves?

Royal Knight
what are you saying you have to cover up the holes where the rings went?

silver_tears
No, we have to take them out, like say you had you're lip pierced, you're not allowed to walk in with a earring there.

bardock
sounds all right

I rule
Will they allow nipple peircings? no expression

lil bitchiness
Well...I didt go to Catholic school, but the piercings were still forbiden and i had to wear the uniform erm

However, when I got to senior year ( A- levels for you English people) I was allowed piercings and i wasnt obligated to a uniform.

At University, again,I can do whatever i like and wear whatever I like...one of my proffessors has piercings too stick out tongue

Im not really sure about it being wrong or right. I like the Uniform bit. I think it makes everyone look the same and the whole '' i have better shoes and better top than you'' thing is eliminated and therefore a big chunk of discrimination of those who cannot afford flashy shoes and clothes.

Gregory
As someone who was, in fact, extensively picked on because of the way he dressed, I would like to go on record as opposing dress codes. Maybe I'd have been picked on less, but the idea of that fat prick in the principle's office telling me how I could dress absolutely makes my blood boil.

In addition to my clothing, I was picked on for everything from the way I had my hair done to the length of my fingernails (really) to my accent. It seems to me that unless the school completely micromanages every facet of their student's existance, people who are inclined to bully their fellow students will always find excuses to do so, dress code or not.

BackFire
I am extremely against uniforms in school, I think that it's a huge slap in the face to everyones freedom and right to expression. Schools seem so hung up about doing every possible thing to take away a persons individuality, it's ridiculous. Schools want everyone to walk, talk, eat, drink and act the same.

As George Carlin said - "I remember seeing a video of another group of people that forced dress codes in their society, but I couldn't understand the video because it was in German".

As far as piercings, as long as they aren't distracting other students then there is no reason not to allow them.

Nazgulinthedark
thats what my school has, and they dont allow any peirsings exept one in the earlobe, and boys cant wear earings no and i thought that was ok, until they made the guy who sat next to me in science take out his earing, when it was a cross, and we went to a caholic school, that was just alittle weird in my eyes

lil bitchiness
You arent looking at this in the right way BF.

Uniforms arent invented to take away anyones individuality at school, they are invented so that differance in clothing and who can afford what kind of clothes cannot be shown and there is not gonna be a discrimination on that part.

No one will be picked on or discriminated against if he doesnt have the latest shoes or a gucci top! That is actually the reason for the uniforms in most schools.

lil bitchiness
Besides, you're in school to get educated, if you wanna wear your nice clothes, then go arround town in them.

In England, everyone wears uniforms, and we dont have nowhere as near as much bullying as you do in USA!

Gregory
Which does not, of course, demonstrate cause and effect.

Darth Revan
Lil, you have a point, but at the same time, I've never seen anybody picked on for how they dressed. I used to get bullied all the time, for every tiny little thing I did, but oddly nobody ever said anything about how I dressed. You can take away whatever discrimination there is about dress, but kids will always find something else to pick on each other about.

I think that piercing rule is stupid... If it's not distracting anybody, I don't see what the problem is.

BackFire
Then the mentallity if flawed. Whether or not the primary purpose is to take away freedom of expression and indiviuality, it still does. People have the right to wear what they want as long as it's tasteful and not distracting.

I still believe that it's purpose is to take away a persons individuality, becuause if a person feels like just another face in the crowd, and not special in any way, they will probably not act up in class and will be easier to deal with. It seems the dress code is around because of some incompetant teachers and faculty members of the schools that inforce these uniform dress codes. They want to take the easy way out when it comes to having order in their school, and they do it by taking away a very fundamental and important freedom that we have in this society.

I also do not believe that having school uniforms will eliminate discrimination, not in the least. People will just find other reasons to pick on people. Clothing and shoes aren't the only reason people get picked on or discriminated against. But just the way they act or look in general. A fat kid who gets picked on will still get picked on with a uniform, because he is still fat. An ugly kid will still get picked on in a uniform because he is still ugly in the uniform, ect.

Exterminating a childs freedom of expression is just a lazy and incorrect way of trying to deter bad behavior. And it does not work. Most of the schools that inforce a uniform are private catholic schools that not just anyone can go to. I believe this is the reason why their are less problems in those school, they aren't public schools.

lil bitchiness
Clothing and shoes are not the only reason why people are picked on, but its still one of the reasons. Besides, it is not all about being picked on, why dont you try avoided, or feeling out of place and not good enough when a bunch of people have stuff you cannot afford.

Some people dont like people who dress trendy, or goth or punk, and would not give them the time of the day...ever. This way, it is very different.

Freedom of expression does not consist only in clothes.

I can proudly say that my freedom of expression and individuality does not consist of the things i wear, it consist of the things i know, the things i say, the way i few the world, not the way i dress.

I love how you BF, go off and start a long rant about goths and the way they dress, and when someone mentiones their individuality and freedom of expression, you rant on about how its complete bullshit and they look horrible. Yet now, on this very subject you just complitely contradicted yourself....yet again.

sailormoon
I think it's wrong for them not to allow piercings, they can express that if they want. But I think the uniform bit is cool because it gives people one less thing to be picked on about. For some people who are picked on it might not matter much but it does hurt people even to something as drastic as suicide. And you still have your personalities, you still have your individuality.

wuTa
i went to public schools for 12 years and i dont ever remember a kid getting picked for the type of clothes they wear.....my brother went to a private school for 6 years with uniforms and got picked on than he spent his high school years in public school and still got picked on...people dont get picked on because of there clothes....and with uniforms people who do get pick on are less likely to make any friends because its not like they were goth clothing and can hang out with the kids wearing goth clothing...im not saying my brother was a complete outcast...he had freinds in both schools but theres salways going to be assh*oles no matter where you go...how you dress isnt going to change that

BackFire
I have never seen anyone picked on because of thier clothing. As it turns out, I went to a public high school, and there were virtually no problems. I never saw anyone picking on anyone. It was also a casual dress code, you could wear what you want. Yet no problems ever arouse. It is soley dependant on the type of kids in your school. If you went down to a bad school and forced everyone to wear uniforms all of a sudden, it would change nothing. The school would still be bad, because it's the students that cause problems, not clothing. On the same note, if you went to a good school, such as your high school, Lil, and took away the uniform policy, you would probably not see any difference. Because it was probably a good school, with good students, and it would be regaurdless of the dress code.

So what if some people don't like how another person dresses? That's life, people are always going to discriminate against other people for what they wear, and it's good to learn this in school so you can learn how to deal with it, rather then having blinders on to the real world during school and then getting out to the real world and realizing that it's not how it was in high school. It's good to start learning that stuff during your childhood, gives you more time to learn how to deal with it.

Of course freedom of expression does not consist only in clothes, but it is a big part. Sure, people like you and me found no reason to express ourselves with our clothing, but many people do. Many people don't know any other way to express themselves other then their clothing or the way they look. So it is taking away their expression. Plus, freedom to dress the way a person wants is still important, and it's still taking that away. Freedom of expression and clothing go hand in hand, especially for teenagers.

You may also be interested in hearing that despite all the times I've made fun of goths, I have NEVER said that they should not be allowed to dress that way if they want to. It's up to them, and just because I don't like it doesn't mean I think think they should have the right to dress that way taken away. That's just poor reading comprehension on your part, no contradiction anywhere.

Nazgulinthedark
the reason they have uniforms, is not because they think it will keep kids from being picked on, tho that is part of it, its because the parents dont want to spend the extra money on their kids that are trying to fit in, they have uniforms, so kids wont be late in the morning because they are hbusy picking out what to wear. theres the uniform, thats what you wear, nothing to debate about.

Gregory
I spent four years among the social rejects of my school, and let me tell you something: I never once saw anyone get picked on because of the way they dressed. Except for me, of course, but that was a special case. When you wear shorts in the middle of winter, you except it to excite comment (but I'd have burned up in a uniform; my metabolism is odd that way). But hey, I knew a gay guy who was picked on extensively; maybe he shouldn't have been allowed to express his sexual orientation? Because, you know, things like freedom of speach are less important than having the student body all get along?

There's no use saying that clothing isn't speach, because it clearly is; when someone dresses like a goth, he's sending a message.

Edited to say that--and I hope nobody will take this the wrong way--"It simplifies getting dressed in the morning" is the feeblest reason to quash free speach I have ever heard. Although I don't doubt that it is a reason.

This is a touchy topic for me ... I hope people don't think I'm being rude here.

Arachnoidfreak
My school has a uniform code, and I still don't talk to those people. And I sometimes make fun of them, but certainly not about their clothes. and I do it to their faces. Why? Because they used to do it to me. I dress differently nearly every dress down day (certain days were we wore what we liked), sometimes in all black, sometimes in all Old Navy, sometimes in all Southpole, sometimes in a mix. I never got picked on for what I was wearing, but I got picked on for nearly everything else. I always felt avoided and out of place, when I was around people who acted and thought differently than I did. Never because of clothes.

My point is, kids won't get picked on for their clothes, and people who do pick on others for their clothes will do it to someone who is smarter than they are, and they will be put in their place.

Anyway, most of the teasing I do is in good fun, and besides, if they can't take a joke, **** 'em.

mc pee pants
i went to a catholic high school myself. the same exact policy. we can't even have hair that goes past our eyebrows. white shirts, white socks, black leather shoes. i had no qualms about it. a school is an instituion of learning, not a fashion show. although we had occasions that we could wear civilian clothing.

these policies are enforced because they make the institute look organized, collected and united. i liked my high school uniform... but then again, i'm a geek geek

lil bitchiness
Gregory > I cant really argue or respond to anything you say, not to be rude, BF's responses make far more sense, since he gives some kind of view accross that doesnt involve only his expreiance.

You cannot generalise and make an asumption on something based on your experiance's alone. Research does not work that way, and if someone was doing a sociological survey on whether or not people get picked on in school because of cloathing, they certanly wouldnt say, ''no, they are not, because there are 2 incidents of that, we have found so far''

Nazgulinthedark
thanks, ill remember that. no expression

Tptmanno1
I really don't care. I go to a school that has uniforms, but wiht 6 other schools in my city that I could have gone to, I picked the only one with uniforms. Accually it makes my life easier because i can rooll outta bes and get dressed without thinking.

Gregory
Well, I understand perfectly. But--since we're being blunt in an unoffensive way--I'm not sure you've done better. You've said that England has less bullying than America, but even if that's true (I don't doubt it), it doesn't mean that it's because of the uniform (I've always thought the English were just rather better at maintaining discipline). You've said that school uniforms reduce bullying, but I'm not sure what that belief is based on, besides common sense, which is not always very reliable.

You've talked about the purpose of school uniforms. There, at least, I can give hard information. According to an NAESP survey of schools with unifrom policies, the number one reason principles give for supporting school uniforms is not that it reduced bullying or keeps students from being late--it's that they think it makes their school appear professional.

lil bitchiness
I think i have concluded that it is the fact that those people who complain about it never went to school with Uniform. I have, and if i didnt have, the id probably complain too.

I didnt mind it, like you said, i know exactly what im wearing each day, dress up each morning with out thinking big grin

Linkalicious
The reason USA has a lot more "bullying" has nothing to do with an established dress code or lack there of...

It's most commonly caused by the huge mix of nationalities that attend different schools. I'm sure that other countries are simialr to the US, but no where near on the same scale. People see the differences in other peoples cultures, and they choose to mock those individuals because of it. Racism holds more control over bullying than a dress code.

It'd be nice if kids and young adults were more mature than that. It'd be nice if all children were above such a petty thing...but generally speaking....they're not.

Who isn't guilty of saying some sort of offense slur towards another race at one point in their youth?

Gregory
Here's what two sociologists say about the effects of school uniforms. It's just an abstract, unfortunately, but the author's words are clear enough:

"Sudent uniform use was not significantly correlated with any of the school commitment variables such as absenteeism, behavior, or substance use (drugs). In addition, students wearing uniforms did not appear to have any significantly different academic preparedness, proschool attitudes, or peer group structures with proschool attitudes than other students. Moreover, the negative correlations between the attitudinal variables and the various outcomes of interest are significant; hence, the predictive analysis provides more substantive results."

Or, to put it in plain English: school uniforms aren't worth squat, except a slight improvement in standardized testing.

http://www.geocities.com/school_uniforms/abstract98.html

lil bitchiness
Im sure many people can, including myself.

Linkalicious
*coughbullsh!tcough*

Darth Revan
Link, I don't want to call you a flat out racist, but I've noticed that you make a... separation between different races. I can't remember ever making a racist remark in my life. You can't blame bullying on racism, because frankly, though there is still racial tension, most places simply don't have a lot of it anymore. I know there is still racism in some places, but up here, it's incredibly rare to hear people making racist comments.

And also, you act as if Europe and the UK don't have people from different countries and of different races. Which, from what I've heard, is completely opposite of the truth.

finti
well living in a high cost country as Norway school uniforms would be a good thing.
It creates pressure on the parents when they dont have a dress code, in that I mean it is a pressure from the kids/youths that you better wear the "right" stuff or else you are hung out. And the "right" stuff is always the expensive things.
When I went to school Levi`s denim were the thing, with the red label not the orange one. And a pair of levis was then about 600 Norwegian crowns which is around $ 80.
Dont think the disallowing piercing is the right thing though, taken the fact that you have to be 18 to be pierced in Norway if not the parents allow it. And no piercing studio will pierce anyone under 13 regardless of what parents allow it or not .
Even so i dont think it is right not to allow piercing, as long as they wear uniform, it is borderlinign to prejudice. Whats next no one with red hair is allowed in school?

Jury
I think it's right.

If anyone cannot agree and obey their rules, then I think they're free to look for some other schools which allow "piercing stuff" and allow students to wear what they want... i guess. confused

finti
rules of opression

Papaumau
At day-school - up until what we in Britain would call the higher-grade - ( 16+ ), uniformity of clothing is important so that the kids all feel part of the same large group of peers that is the school. If individuality is allowed then the pupils will form their own peer-groups where they can feel comfortable in the sameness that occurs here. This then generates a feeling of competition betwen the different sub-peer-groups where either you belong or you don't. If you don't belong then you are as a result out in the cold on your own. ( Young people don't - in the main - like that ). Some very few individuals WILL resist all efforts to make them conform to peer pressure and these individuals will be seen by the rest as weird and "out-there".

As has been said before, if all of the pupils in a school are made to dress the exact same way then their attentions are not distracted towards individuality and they will then be expected to concentrate more on their studies.

I see the times when the teachers and the school authorities try to compromise with the children by letting ear-rings be worn but not lip-rings etc' and I find this as duplicitous and dishonest as here too the authorities are showing prejudice in favour of accepted fashions as opposed to new ones.

Of course young-people should be encouraged to be individuals and to show their individuality by dressing as they like and by adorning themselves with whatever bling they like...BUT... this show of individuality might be better to be left until either after school hours or until after the time where concentration on studies is not quite so important.

I feel that these ideas do not apply in quite the same way by the time that the individual goes to university as by that time any individual jewellery or clothing style is firmly settled in the mind of the person and is unlikely to cause any upset with the other individuals at the university. In other words....by this time the person is more mature and settled in their own mind.

Linkalicious
I don't act like that in any way shape or form. You've spent absolutely ZERO time getting to know me as a person, so I really don't find how you can judge me based on what little you know about me. I'm an ass.hole....there's no point in lying about that. I'm blunt, to the point, and I tell it how it is.

You don't get picked on for the clothes you wear, you get picked on for being different....and your Race is the most noticable difference about a person. Maybe you don't actually SAY the racial slur out loud, but everyone's had those "lets mother f**k another race" thoughts go through their head. hell, just knowing the definiton of the racial slur almost ensures that you've used the term in context at one point in your life. Lying on a message board to sound like a "good little boy or girl" gets you no where. Except maybe more cyber friends.

Hi, apparently your school is spending too much time teaching you not to be a racist to teach you simple reading comprehension. Did I or Did I not say:

live in Southern California? Know anything about the diversity of races in Southern California? The millions of illegal immigrants? The Asian, Indian, and European kids that come over to get a finer education? the thousands of soon to be gangster African American kids? the "I'm too good for you" white kids who were raised that way by their parents who believe themselves to be better than every other family on the block. I'm sure everywhere in the world has their own sorts of diversity, like i said...just not on the same scale. The US isn't considered a "melting pot" for nothing...

It may sound like callous bullsh!t to you, but its a reality. I don't make the rules, i just live by them. People don't like those who are different from themselves...that isn't exactly a new idea.

On 9/11 alone, I bet 1/2 of the US was probably cursing or slurring racial comments about Arabs and Muslims under their breath. Are those people actually racist? Probably not, they just had one of those moments of rage where stupid things get said...even if they aren't well thought out.

Yes, I'm a huggge racist. roll eyes (sarcastic) I have only white friends, I would rather spit on other races than acknowledge them as my equal, and I would just assume kill one than help them out in any way, shape, or form. no

Well....THAT would be a racist. And THAT is one thing I am not. Just because I know and have said the terms....doesn't make me a racist. I have friends of all different races, and I accept anyone from any race as a friend....I'd love to "flat out" tell you what you can do with your notion of me being a racist....but to tell you the truth, i don't think it'll fit in THAT hole.

I'm an insensitive prick, that doesn't make me a racist.

Clovie
in my school they told one guy to change the hair style messed
he had dreadlocks erm

finti
did he change it?

Papaumau
What if he had been wearing a turban ?

Clovie
finti -? yeah he did, they told he's gonna get expelled from school if he doesn't sad

Pap -> no turban blink

Papaumau
Why I asked was because in British schools the wearing of the turban takes precidence over every other headgear or none !

Even our policemen who are Sikhs are allowed to wear the turban instead of a helmet. Hell...it is compulsory for all motorcyclists to wear a crash helmet but Sikh's are allowed to wear their turban instead.

I believe that dreadlocks are a compulsory religious wear for all true Rastafarians.

Let's see the school authorities get out of THAT one.

http://www.dreadlockz.net/bilder/logo_lion.jpg

Linkalicious
my school didn't allow hats or any sort of head gear with the acception of turbans as well...

Clovie
confused it is just a nice hairstyle, without any religious contests erm

naybean
My school made us wear uniforms which was kl cos it means i didnt have to bother thinkin bout what to wear all the time. And - we were allowed 2 wear our own clothes once a year for charity and on that day kids were bullied for what they were wearing - i kno kids who used 2 hate that day. Maybe that was just my school...

But my school really irritated me because white students werent allowed dreads but black students were irrespective of religious belief.

Silver Stardust
Then I'd be screwed...

I don't really care either way about uniforms. I went to a public high school, no uniforms, and frankly, with my school I almost think we would have been better off WITH uniforms. At my school we actually did have kids get picked on because of their clothing; half of the kids were from rich families and always had the nicest and most in style clothing, and the other half of us (the half I was in) were from normal families and just wore normal clothes.

But not allowing people to have piercings, that's stupid, I think.

lil bitchiness
Just because you sulred racial insults, it certainly does not mean every has. I have never argued or insulted anyone based on their race or their country of origin eek!...

If you find that hard to gasp, then thats too bad, and very very sad.

pinsleepe
i'm glad that uniforms are not very popular in poland. Lil is right. i hate stupid kid running all around the school and screaming: hey, look at my shoes/ dress/ pants!!! only cell phones, cd-players ans things like that are forbidden, everyone uses it, though.

Linkalicious
in that case....neither have I. I don't make racist comments to peoples faces.

But i do find it VERY unbelievable that you have NEVER uttered any form of insult behind closed doors in the comfort of your own house.

Even if the person wasn't there to hear it...

silver_tears
Our principal is going around measuring skirt length now roll eyes (sarcastic)
Mind you she's female stick out tongue

lil bitchiness
Since there is no such thing as ''race'' in reality, no i have not! Originating from another country myself, it would be rather hypocritical of me.

I dont like people condeming me for something I cannot change, therefore I do not condem anyone else for it.

I do condem people for ignorance and arrogance, however.

Linkalicious
Ok, so chalk one up for the Lilster. She's never had a racist thought in her entire exsistence. clap

Good to know you're not human, and that you're perfect! happy

Let me guess...

You've never J-walked either huh?

Trickster
To be frank... Bollocks. My school is a school with uniform, and I think the entire idea is just fundamentally stupid. There's no reason for it. Okay, so maybe a couple of people would get bullied for it, in maybe one or two schools. I have never been(or seen someone) insulted for what I was wearing, except by that group of people known in England as charvers/townies/pikies/scallies. But then again, those people are ****, so noone don't listen to them. If someone is insulted by friends for what they're wearing, then they should get new friends. It's easy enough. Just go to a different place at break, and you'll get some new friends.

On non-school uniform days, people are never insulted for what they wear, except maybe by friends, but that's only teasing. More often it helps people to make new friends.

This is also bollocks, no offence. IMO the uniform makes it just slightly harder to determine what kind of person someone is. If they're a skater, and you're a goth. Or they play rugby, and you play basketball, and you want to make some friends when you move to a new school, you have a big chance of sitting with the wrong 'group'. Then, the people who you actually wanted to sit with, they think you're not one of them.

I still have arguements with people I don't like, insult people that are nasty to me, and take the piss out of people. The uniform doesn't change a thing.

The Omega

Trickster
Ugh. You'll find that the girls who did that in America, the same group of girls in England would just gossip and the ask those who were listening for the answers. Happens in my school.

I also spent a day at an american school where I didn't notice any sort of bullying because of clothing. Just a lot of flirting.

WindDancer
silver tears just one question...does your school allows casual fridays? A casual friday means that you get to dress up in your own fashion and not in uniform. In my job, I have to wear a uniform. But on Fridays I could wear regular street clothes. So do you think that your school would allow a casual friday?

MC Mike
I strongly disagree with uniforms. I hate it when people blabber about "Education Only - - Education Only". I like wearing what I want and the way everyone is diffrent in my school. Picking on people? Yes, it happens, but that's because most of the time, the type of clothing equals what you are or try to be. You won't see nerds wearing Abercrombie and Fitch at our schools, and that is NOT because they aren't rich, it's just they way they choose to live life. If a girl puts on make up and doesn't learn, it's going to be bad for her in the end and she knows it, so I say, let her do it! I totally admit that I tend to stay in one group and make friends in that group, but that's not based on clothing, but as previously stated, lifestyle. In 6th grade I had a friend who'd sit in front of the computer all day and was the ultamite nerd. In 7th grade I realized his intrests were diffrent then mine and now I'm not his friend, but if he talks to me, whether it be in front of new friends or not, I'm not going to pretend I don't know him. Now THAT would be bad. erm

Gory Game Lover
I think it is wrong.People should have freedom.

silver_tears
We have civies days once a month for this

Neo_Version 7
Once a month?!

Hey, better than nothing.

Anoushka
atleast you guys have something messed

our school has that rule too - no peircings and all.shirts and blouses tucked in,school skirts can't be anything more than 2 inches sbove knee level,pants cannot be baggy,white based shoes with only black or navy blue trimmings,white ankle socks...
and they even control what kind of undergarments we can wear messed

Jury
Actually... I graduated from "public schools" Elementary and High School. School uniforms were required. When it says "uniform" it should have been UNIFORM. When the color is "blue" it should have been BLUE. No light blue, no navy blue. The shoes must be black leather shoes, no rubber shoes, no sandals.

Everyone should look neat. Uniform haircuts for the boys. No earings, no tattoos. So, every male student is physically scanned before you can get enrolled.

During college ... No uniform, you can be their student as long as you obey their Rules and Regulations ... and you pay.
_________
It's in the student's ATTITUDE that matters in adapting his school environment. So, there's no question whether the school policy regarding uniform and stuff is right or wrong. They're doing it to make a single student become a better person.

And ... I'm very proud of these schools were I came from.

finti
sounds more like institutions of brainwashing rather than a place of healthy education

Jury
In fact, we don't have any Educational Institutions like what you think, fins, in our country. smile Our government is aware of that. We excell in almost all fields - from smaller ones to higher ones. 50,000 medical professionals from our country are hired in UK every year. Thousands of Engineering workers hired in Middle east every year. Proof enough that our country deals with Healthy Education and Work Professionalism. smile

Papaumau
Trickster.....

When you say the following you are just showing your youth...nothing else :

This is also bollocks, no offence. IMO the uniform makes it just slightly harder to determine what kind of person someone is. If they're a skater, and you're a goth. Or they play rugby, and you play basketball, and you want to make some friends when you move to a new school, you have a big chance of sitting with the wrong 'group'. Then, the people who you actually wanted to sit with, they think you're not one of them.

I still have arguements with people I don't like, insult people that are nasty to me, and take the piss out of people. The uniform doesn't change a thing.

Just because you still search out your sub-group within the uniformity of the school does not mean that you are not affected by the uniform policy. You are just resisting it as most young people do.

While most young-folk don't like uniformity thrust upon them they WILL wear uniforms if they want to be a part of those sub-groups that I speak of. After all, wearing black and purple and gothic bling is just another uniform.

By making everybody look and dress the same the school is trying to steer the young-folk away from the distraction that personalised fashion in a school environment certainly is.

naybean
"IMO the uniform makes it just slightly harder to determine what kind of person someone is. If they're a skater, and you're a goth. Or they play rugby, and you play basketball, and you want to make some friends when you move to a new school, you have a big chance of sitting with the wrong 'group'."

Does that matter? Most of my friends do not share the same music and dress sense that i do. Maybe if what people wear affects your judgement of them it would be better for your school to have a uniform?

finti
and how many comes from schools that are more of bootcamps than schools.
Never disgarded twhat your contry deals with as a whole, I was merly replying to the kind of schools that smells more of a miltary acadamy than an ordinary school

females can have tattos too

Jury
Well, I came from a country who offers Healthy Education ... not "brainwashing" (like what you think) that maybe any other schools do out there.

finti
look at your own postings Jury

This aint healty, it sounds like a military acadamy

and where do you actually come from besides X-Men Supreme Universe

Phoenix
Darling, every school in England has this policy until you're at least 16. Even some sixth formers still have to wear uniform - thankfully not at my school!

Is uniform really that uncommon in America?

Phoenix
At ours, all students except sixth formers had to wear black trousers or skirt, black shoes ((with no bigger than 3 inch heel)), white shirt, marroon jumper with school crest, no visible tats and only allowed small stud earrings or one ring or one necklace max. Girls aren't even supposed to wear make-up before GCSE years - I actually got sent to wash mine off once!

Even sixthformers had rules - dress code had to be 'reasonable', and we were sent home if the teachers thought it anything but!

finti
Here in Norway we have the induvidual right to wear what you want ............as long as it is approved by the "populare" in crowd

Trickster
Maybe...
But I suppose, where I can see your arguement as reasonable, and that it is a good arguement, some of the arguements against uniform are reasonable too. Surely you can see that?

If someone wants to wear certain clothes, then fair dos, let them. But otherwise I just think people don't like being forced to wear uniform.
Probably my views will change as I get older, though I find it hard to think why now. Maybe because my school is quite lax about uniform.#

Black bottoms(not jeans), white polo-shirt and a black jumper. Apart from that we can do what we want. Doesn't mean we all get tattoos, but I know a few people with them, and a lot with a lot of earrings.

Phoenix
I think, to a certain extent, and a certain age, uniforms are actually a good idea. It makes us all equal - you don't have some children having to wear Oxfam, Car Boot and Hand-Me-Downs, while other kids get DKNY, Gap and fcuk.

Trickster
Ugh. I don't think bullying because of the clothes you wear happens. Never, in my experience. Teasing your friends maybe, but only your friends.

Phoenix
Belive me, hun, it happens!

ladygrim
agree with it ... but i dont like it i think people seem more realxed in there own clothes so they work beta ...

Trickster
Really? Phoe, what sorta school you go to? Or went to?

MC Mike
I feel sorry for all you UK people, uniforms are hell. messed

Jury
To you, it's unhealthy, fins. If it is, that school should have never been stayed up to these years... And we do not actually tolerates unhealthy schools like letting their students come inside the campus drunk, wearing two-piece and stuff... just because that's what their students want to.

The uniforms and related policies practiced by most schools in our country always have positive feedbacks from students.

That's why I said ATTITUDE and CHARACTER of the student is honed in our schools ... Not how should they wear or stuff ... Filipino students anyway know how to handle such cases. Uniforms has never been a serious problem.

We have lots of respected schools in our country that do not impose uniforms as strict compliance... students in our country have always too many options to choose from.

Education anyway, is not for fashion and trend stuff alone.

finti
Filipino, well I`m told they have really strict schools there. Have a neighbour who is a Filipino, he is just made Captain on a boat sailing for a Norwegian maritime company. He told me how school was back in were he came from. He is happy to be here and his kids attend norwegian schools cause he plans to stay and he wants his kids integrated into the Norwegian society............ohh and he doesnt wants his kids to be sailors smokin'

Jury
See how his ATTITUDE and CHARACTER brought him. smile

finti
people become things without boot camps

Jury
roll eyes (sarcastic) Just Send my best regards. smile

finti
sure will

Phoenix
grotty comprehensive wink

Jury
Thanks, fins.

Papaumau
Phoe....

You nailed it with that one !

While at some time it is a good thing to encourage young-folk to be individuals and to even make a statement with their clothes, during school hours it is not the time for this.

When some kids are from poorer backgrounds and others come from well-off families there is never a level playing field when it comes to showing off the latest designer gear. All this does is creates an underclass that is pitied by the rich elitists.

Leave that until they get into the cruel world I think !

Phoenix
*high-fives Pap*

mechmoggy
Silver Tears, in a school uniform?

I think I need pictures. wink

*coughcoughpervertcough*

furryman
eek! mech

mechmoggy
ST is used to my pervy ways.

*Pinches ST's bum* wink

furryman
i meant eek! mech, good to see you!
i've been serving brummies all summer in my new job at brean stick out tongue

i think uniforms are a good thing, but just last year they introduced blazers instead of jumpers at my school. the kids look smarter, but they're rediculous to wear - they have to keep them on 90% of the time.

mechmoggy
Oh gotcha! embarrasment

SlipknoT
I've never had to wear a uniform. And I never would.

ETK
I feel uniforms are a good idea. The rich and the poor are leveled off. Society in the USA bases how you look to more than how much you know. I was born and raised in Germany, and when I moved over here to the USA, it was a wake-up call. I was 15 at the time and people cared more about the shoes I wore and what car I Was going to drive. Silly really.

As for the piercings, as long as it's in good taste, I would not find it too offensive. (eyebrow and bellybutton piercings would not be offensive, lip and nose would be a minor distraction to the face)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.