Best Westerns, Anyone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I rented a movie called The Texas Rangers over the weekend...it's got a guy from Dawson's Creek.....Van Der something....in it.
Also it's got Robert Patrick (Dogget from the X-files)
I think the movie was just alright, but the idea of a western being made in modern times is kinda odd to me....I thought that was a thing of the past confused

Augeybana
Yeah most western suck in these times.The lastest good one was The Quick And The Dead.With Gene Hackman and Sharron Stone,

Julie
I haven't see that one.....it was kinda weird recognizing some of the faces...kinda blows the whole character believeability out the window

Augeybana
It's good it even has Russel Crow in it.

Thomas H
Yound Guns is the best wester made in the 90th..

The best western is offcurce The Good Bad And The Ugly!

GordonSkywalker
The best modern western I like would be Young Guns 2. It featured an all-star cast including Emillio Estevez(Billy the Kid) Lou Diamond Philips(Chavez) Kiefer Sutherland(Doc Scurlock) and Christian Slater(Arkansas Dave Rudabough), and was the story of Billy the Kid and the remaining members of the Lincoln County Regulators(from the first film) trying to get to Old Mexico and start new lives after the Lincoln County Range War. Unfortunately a man by the name of Patrick Floyd Garrett( a former friend of Billy & co.) has been hired to track down the Kid and bring him back for hanging. A classic about pals and loyalties versus duty and perception.

Thomas H
well, number one is the best!!

GordonSkywalker
I like them both. They're cool little movies. Estevez made a fine Billy the Kid,don't you think?

finti
if you want a good western then watch Shane, modern stuff Youn Guns and TOmbstone even though the portray real persons and incidents. Dancing with wolves was cool too

Thomas H
Tombstone...was a over paid movie...but ok il guess!

finti
Wyat Earp was what you mentioned Thomas, Tombstone rocked, at least Val Kilmer

GordonSkywalker
I liked Tombstone a lot.

Julie
never saw it....but then again I hardly ever watch westerns

GordonSkywalker
Westerns-classic and new- are cool, if you see the right film. I prefer the old westerns with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.I really enjoyed The Good,The Bad and The Ugly.And all of the Duke's films are great.

Julie
What are some of their titles????...perhaps I'll find them in the rental place on day.

finti
I dont like the westerns featuring John Wayne

Thomas H
why`? In other words, you dont like one of the biggest westerns ever, Rio Bravo!?

finti
no all of John Waynes movie gets so simmilare in the way they are portraited

Thomas H
well, Rio Bravo is after the experts the third best western ever!

Dano
Here are some other great westerns to check out , Julie!:

-The Cowboys- a great John Wayne flick!! not his typical kind!

-A series of movies with Terrance Hill called "Trinity" and "My Name is Nobody" and "My name is still Nobody"

-Shane

-High Plains Drifter- Eastwood at his best!

- Outlaw Josey Whales- another great Clint pick!

-Jerimiah Johnson- great Robert Redford movie

- The Deserter- hard to find , but really great! Has many old stars in it like Chuck Conners, Richard Crenna, Woody Strode, Patrick Wayne(John's son),Richardo Montobond

_ and of course "Tombstone" - Val is awesome in it!! Doc rules.... "you're a daisy if you do"

Augeybana
I think the worst one is the western with Tom Selleck I think that was a movie but less popular I forgot the name though.

GordonSkywalker
The Sacketts. My father read the books the film was based on.

Augeybana
Was the books any good.

GordonSkywalker
My father seemed to like them.

Augeybana
Well usually the book better than the movie.

GordonSkywalker
Yeah, but then my father has a high tolerance for reading. I got my reading abilities from him.

Augeybana
True genetics are good for something I got my shortness from my father.

GordonSkywalker
I'm a bit taller than my father. I have curly hair,he has wavy hair. And my hands are like my mother's. And I got her eyes, which she says I got from my grandfather. Go figure.

Captain REX
Speakin of Billy the Kid, where is the member with that username? He's disappeared...

Also speakin of Billy, I did some research on him. He's narly.

I haven't seen many westerns. True Grit, Silverado, and Maverick are the recent ones that I've seen.

GordonSkywalker
I do not know what happened to 'our' Billy the Kid... I emailed him some time back but never heard from him again! And yes I love movies about the 'real' William H. Bonney, especially Young Guns 2! I used to collect everything I could about him !

finti
well who named them experts, its all a matter of opinion.

No one can be an expert on movie ratings. It is all up tho the single viewer to make up their minds of what they have seen regardless of those so called experts. I for one never care for what critics says

Thomas H
neither do I, critics are low life scum!!like sociallists...big grin

GordonSkywalker
Anyone hear seen American Outlaws yet? It's about Frank and Jesse James and their pals. I saw it about a year or more ago. Got the impression the writers were aiming to make the film in similiar fashion to Young Guns 2. Except instead of Billy the Kid you get a young Jesse James.

Julie
nope....sounds kinda interesting though

GordonSkywalker
Oh it was. A bit more of a happy ending than Young Guns 2, though.

Augeybana
You meanthe one with Colin Farrel

GordonSkywalker
That's the chap.

Augeybana
Yeah it wasn't too bad.

Fire
Well every now and then a director comes along and tries to make a movie in an old style
sometimes it goes right sometimes it goes wrong
looks at gladiator

GordonSkywalker
They say Gladiator did VERY well.

Dano
What was wrong with Gladiator?? I enjoyed it! Could have been better, but still a pretty good movie!

Back to westerns by the way, has anybody else seen the "Trinity" movies I mentioned??

GordonSkywalker
Not yet. Have you seen the TNT film Purgatory? One of the Wahlberg brothers was Billy the Kid in it. Not as good as in Young Guns (with Emillio Estevez) but still enjoyable. He is paired with Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp.

Dano
yeah Gordon, I actually kind of liked that movie. Pretty good for a TV movie!

GordonSkywalker
It blew me away. It was quite incredible. The whole premise was amazing for a 'modern western'. And I loved the ending.

Thomas H
For a Fistful of dollars!

GordonSkywalker
Another classic. Clint Eastwood I believe. You know your films, Thomas H.

Dano
Yeah, well how about:

-Hang em High
-Outlaw Josey Wales
-Joe Kidd
-Unforgiven-modern and good western!!

Thomas H
UNforgiven is one of the best modern westerns!

once upon a time in the west, with Charles Bronson is also superb!!!

GordonSkywalker
Hang Em High and Unforgiven are both great films.

BackFire349
i dont care much for westerns. the searches was good though

GordonSkywalker
My father is really into reading and watching westerns. That's how I got into them in the first place.

Thomas H
the same with my father!

GordonSkywalker
I wasn't into 'Modern Westerns' until I saw Young Guns 2 in the theaters. From then on it was Billy the Kid all the way! laughing

Augeybana
"Hang em High,and High Plains Drifter were good.

GordonSkywalker
I forgot that one! High Plains Drifter was pretty good.

Augeybana
Yeah Clint Eastwood is a much better western actor then he's other movies he did like that romantic movie he did.

GordonSkywalker
I just saw High Plains Drifter on AMC! It was fantastic! Clint Eastwood is the Man!

Thomas H
He has starred in a lot of great movies Augeybana.

Dirty Harry movies
In the Line of Fire

to mention a few!

GordonSkywalker
Space Cowboys is one of his more recent (and successful) efforts.

Thomas H
successful yes...good....well...that depends! he still is one of the best actors of all time...another good movie is Escape From Alcatras!

GordonSkywalker
I have seen it. Another in a long line of good films I think.

Julie
ah there are so many good films....too many...but then again a lot are awful which cuts down on the ones you want to see....and waste time with

Thomas H
like who`=?

Dano
Julie, have you seen a Clint flick called "The Beguiled" ?? Great movie!

Its about a Union soldier(in Civil War) who gets injuried and is taken in by a southern all girls school. While he is healing from his wounds , many interesting things happen(you can imagine, with Clint being the only "man" around all girls and women....) It also has a very big twist at the end!!

finti
It is kinda cool yes

Dano
finti, you following me around??

You have really seen it ? You must get alot of american tv there in norway? I think its a really good movie!

Just imagine being trapped in a all girls school, yummy!!!

finti
We got more or less what you have on tv, Letterman, Leno and so on.
Thomas is a huge CSI freek fan (go figure) so yes we have a very Americanaized tv, for better and for worse

GordonSkywalker
Young Guns I was on this weekend. Twice.

Dano
Young Guns 1 was pretty good, YG 2 started out good but went way wrong. some of the new characters were really annoying! I hate the farmer guy "Bean" something and the little street kid was a total waste of film!! Arkansas Dave was okay , fit in better than the others! Should have just stuck to the Billy - Pat G. story! That was entertaining enough!

Dano
Regulators!!!!!!!!!! Ride!!!!!!!!!!

finti
Just had both of them on tv

Thomas H
get ready to reap the wirldwind!!! (Billy The Kid)

Thomas H
Thomas is a huge CSI freek fan (go figure) so yes we have a very

hehe, and in june season to will end and we will get CSI Miami!!..now its CSI all over the year!mmmmm

Dano
"I'll make ya famous!""

GordonSkywalker
Young Guns 2 is on right now. I saw this when it came out all those summers ago. This is a true modern classic! I like most everything about it. Especially Christian Slater's performance as Arkansas Dave Rudabaugh!

Julie
Young Guns 2...I haven't even seen one

GordonSkywalker
Both are great films about the friendships of William H. Bonney and his pals who end up on the wrong side of a war with corrupt cattle barons and government officials.Great stuff.

finti
and the films does not portray the real happenings of William H Bonney though. Some of the events are there but some of the characters are fictionale

GordonSkywalker
I never said they were. I have done extensive studies on the differences between the fictional and real aspects of both films as well as Brushy Bill Roberts' claims to be Billy the Kid. Still, none of this changes the popularity of this short-lived franchise. As with most films things are added for 'dramatic purposes'. This remains a favorite and a classic, gentlemen. wink

Thomas H
Would be cool with a new western movie soon...the wawe will be back...believe me! and that is going to rock!

GordonSkywalker
Westerns are cool.

Julie
definately...though I don't watch them much

GordonSkywalker
You don't know what you're missing!

Julie
oh I think I have a vague idea....but there is so much else to do...read study, etc

GordonSkywalker
I know.

finti
I love westerns, kind of always a childhoodfantasy

Thomas H
westerns are great!

GordonSkywalker
Yes I can remember as a kid pretending I was The Lone Ranger.

Thomas H
well, as we speak..they are considering to make a remake of The Wild Bunch wich is a great western>!!!

Dano
Yes, I highly recomment this movie, see it! Very Bloody ending!

finti
They should make a new film about the life of Jesse James from his days as a confederate until the bitter end

Dano
That would be good!

finti
he was one tricky bastard, damn all this western talk makes want to go and rent some flicks

Dano
finti,Have you seen The Beguiled?? with Clint Eastwood?

finti
Yes thats the one when he is a wounded Union corporal at that southern boarding school for girls. Its been years since i have seen it though and I guess I have to order it from the dvd club if I want to see that one

Dano
Pretty good and creepy wasnt it?

Dano
I remember sneeking to watch it in my room when I was little. It had some racey scenes in it.

finti
Yes it is a good choice for my next dvd order

Julie
how many dvds do you order?

turin
excuse me if this was already brought up (i skipped to the end of the thread), but the best western movie ever made is Tombstone (in my opinion). it stared val kilmer as doc holiday and a few others but it was awesome. all the other westerns as of late kind of suck. the quick and the dead i felt was pretty dumb. especially when gene hackmen gets shot and you can see in his shadow the bullet whole, STUPID!!! young guns was good as well as unforgiven. if you dont mind old movies there are also some great clint eastwood and john wayne ones out there.

GordonSkywalker
Val Kilmer was superb in Tombstone. He did a great portrayal of Doc Holiday.

turin
ya val kilmer made the movie. because of that show he became one of my favorite actors. i really liked the ghost and the darkness as well. it wasnt a western but a great movie non the less.

GordonSkywalker
I like Val Kilmer, especially in The Saint and The Doors.

Julie
I used to know a guy who looked like Val

GordonSkywalker
Cool!

Thomas H
why?smile

GordonSkywalker
Because she likes him I guess.

Thomas H
ok...

GordonSkywalker
I was only kidding Thomas!

Thomas H
hehe...so was I!big grin

Julie
confused ok.......

GordonSkywalker
So Julie have you seen Tombstone yet?

Thomas H
probably not!

Julie
Thomas is right

finti
for the first time in his life

GordonSkywalker
Thomas is a cool guy so let's not shortchange him.

Thomas H
actually not.---I had a right answer on my history test the las day! big grin

Thanks Gordy!

GordonSkywalker
Anytime brother!

Julie
good for you thomas

GordonSkywalker
My friend Thomas is destined for great things one day.....Oh and I watched Young Guns again and think the original(the one I saw) was better storywise though there was more humour in the sequel. Thought I would post that here as part of the Modern Westerns thread.

finti
laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
anybody here like western movies? anything with clint eastwood kicks ass. the outlaw josey wales is the best western ive ever seen.

Rogue Jedi
i just finished watching tombstone. great movie.

DemonicGambit
I've watched a couple, some where good, some weren't. Although I can't remember the names of them, oh well

ChinaNiki
looking forward to Open Range, we need a good western

DemonicGambit
I've seen the commerical for that show. It looks interestin' at moments, an' then at other times I don't even want to think of that show. So I'm torn on if I want to watch it

ragesRemorse
open range? come on its kevin costner does anyone else remember his last attempt at movie making "the postman" oh my god im still having seizures from that movie YOUNG GUNS all the way hey would city slickers be sonsidered a western? lol

Rogue Jedi
bad company with jeff bridges was pretty good.

Friend44
thumb up Some ten odd years ago we had a good comeback in the genre. Sharon Stone, Clint, Gene Hackman, Kurt Russel, Val Kilmer, ect... It came in fast and left out fast. When I think of westerns I think of the 50s and 60s... John Wayne, De Forrest Kelly, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, ect...
I feel there's a void in that field right now.

Corran
THe outlas Josie Wales was good, but not as good as Tombstone, there are so may good westerns they just don't get the airing they all deserve.

Friend44
I suppose with all the cgi today, kids simply will go for lights and fx rather than heart... Not that a Star Wars cannot have heart but on a guess between a western and sci-fi, the average movie-goer will see sci-fi...

Lord_Andres
Whats your favorite western movie ever? and favorite western actor ever?, mine is The Good The Bad And The Ugly and fav western actor has to be Clint Eastwood, what about you? still there are a few westerns I still have to see, maybe I'l change my mind a bit after I've seen the westerns I'm dying to see one of'em being Once Upon A Time In The West, yes yes I know, I'm missing alot by not seing it, but I will as soon as the mounth is near end! anyway hers my top 5 western movies and western actors

1.The Good The Bad And The Ugly
2.For A Few Dollars More
3.Pale Rider
4.Unforgiven
5.Open Range or Young Guns I can't really deside

Anyway Lonesome Dove should be metioned too! It would be wrong not too, since it's one of the best mini series ever and one of the best western sages ever too! now to best western actors

1.Clint Eastwood
2.Robert Duvall
3.Charles Bronson
4.Lee Van Cleef
5.John Wayne

And could you make a list like I did? that would be great!

roundisfunny
Only if you get me those TPS reports!

1. Tombstone
2. The Magnificent Seven
3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
4. Pale Rider
5. Back to the Future III

1. John Wayne (how ironic that none of his movies made the top 5)
2. Clint Eastwood
3. Gabby Hayes
4. James Arness ("Gunsmoke"wink
5. Chuck Connors ("The Rifleman"wink

Jedi Priestess
Unforgiven
Silverado
Tombstone
Magnificient Seven

and I dont really have a favorite western actor...

trav6612
Those are great, but you are forgeting maverick

MildPossession
Once Upon A Time In The West
Ride in the Whirlwind
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
All Sergio Leone westerns actually
The Shooting
The Unforgiven
Outlaw Josey Wales

Those are a few I really love.

pr1983
three words

good bad ugly

actor clint or john wayne

Dario Argento

BloomBabyGirl
i dont really wacth westerns but i did watch the good teh bad and the ugly and from waht i remember liked it.

i like John wayne

The Redeemer
I think Clint Eastwood's westerns epitomise the entire genre. I'm a major fan of his works...so there's little surprise with most in the following list...

1 THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES
2 THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
3 HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
4 FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
5 A FISTFULL OF DOLLARS
6 UNFORGIVEN
7 THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
8 THE BEGUILED
9 SOLDIER BLUE
10 HIGH NOON

WindDancer
Oooooh one of my favorite genres. Let's see best Westerns:

Rio Bravo
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
High Noon
Django
The Great Silence
Once Upon a Time in the West
Keoma

Best Western Actors:

Gary Cooper
Clint Eastwood
Roy Rogers
John Wayne
Franco Nero

But without a doubt the best Western film of all time is Dances with Wolves.

Dario Argento
I totally forgot about High Plains Drifter and Django

Jedi Priestess
oo I forgot about High Noon.....Gary Cooper was exceptional. And Im not a fan of the spaghetti western which is why Unforgiven is the only one of CE's that I like.

roundisfunny
Whoops...I'm always doing this. I said "Pale Rider", but I MEANT "High Plains Drifter". Some fan I am.

I should also probably change number 5 to "Shane", since it's more of a Western, and less of a comedy like "BTTF3".

Myth
The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly
and Unforgiven

The Redeemer
The problem with top of your head ersatz film lists is that you've always forgotten one...

Stick the following in at No 7 and move the others down the list...HIGH NOON is, alas, out of my top ten...but not forgotten!

7 DANCES WITH WOLVES.

jakegittes
1. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
2. The Wild Bunch
3. The Searchers
4. Once Upon A Time In The West
5. Tombstone

Lonesome Dove was a great miniseries...

Dario Argento
I also like Django, Kill... If You Live, Shoot!

Mr Zero
Once upon a time in the West
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Jeremiah Johnson
Little Big Man
The Shootist

The Redeemer
HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER is criminally underrated. DJANGO's the one where the anti-hero drags a coffin around for most of the film and manages to shoot the bad guys with his smashed hands? Comic book spaghetti splatter at it's finest!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>