Rhetorical Questions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Samurai Guy
Post them here!

How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?

lil bitchiness
This is more suited for a philosophy forum smile

Samurai Guy
It was moreso meant as just post them, not discuss them. However, that is why you are a moderator! hug

Thanks, Milla.

BackFire
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Agent Elrond
If a tree fell in a forest, and no one's around, does it make a sound?

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

What's the sound of one hand clapping?

Arachnoidfreak
Are you gunna eat that?

DanZeke25
if u shove food up ur butt.... will u poop out of ur mouth?

WhiteEagle
I read an answer to that one recently. It stated that when the tree falls, the vibrations in the air are undoubtedly present. But there is no "sound" as such unless the vibrations make contact with an eardrum.

big grin

darth_surgent
Whether or not the sound waves make contact with an eardrum or not, they still exist.

.::Levi@than::.
He'd chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could, if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

finti
what is the difference between maybe and maybe not

Phoenix
i remember that from when I first started piano lessons! *nostalgic..*

Phoenix
and I remember that from my first guitar lessons... big grin

nemo
more like a hopeful question if it comes from my brothers

WhiteEagle
Of course. But there is no "sound" as such unless something is around to hear it. Without that, they are just vibrations traveling through the air.

Cipher
The vibrations are the sound.....

Samurai Guy

Arachnoidfreak
Not when I say it. I usually take the food whether they say they are going to eat it or not, hence, it's rhetorical.

WhiteEagle
No. The vibrations will only MAKE a sound if something is around to hear it. big grin

Samurai Guy
Sound can exist if it is not heard. The sound waves can be produced to their content, but unless somebody/something hears them it doesn't matter.

However, the sound waves are produced, but just not heard.

finti
which I hate
Hey is it you.
Are you going to a movies (inside the movie theather)

WhiteEagle
I'm suggesting that sound is a perception specific to particular species' on this planet and possibly others. Our ears perceive vibrations in the air to be sound. These are just vibrations until interpreted by some kind of listening device. Sound is not an entity but a perception of vibrations in the air. So I suppose if nothing in the universe were capable of hearing, the idea of sound or noise wouldn't exist. Sure, the vibrations would be there but there would be no sound.

Papaumau
Go here...indulge yourself and get drunk on the knowledge !

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/gradgrind.html

Mr Zero
COME ON FOLKS. If you don't know what a rhetorical question is but you cant resist a juicy thread, look it up in a dictionary first.

And specifically you two bickering about "if a tree falls and nobody..." etc. The point of the question is not to get an answer, or argue about the yay or nay. Much like the sound of one hand clapping - it's a koan, not a question, rhetorical or otherwise.

Sheesh.

finti
OK you who think you know it all I dont see you have an example of a rhetorical question

Mr Zero
Finti - Do you expect me to care what you think?

finti
I dont give a rat ass about what you care about

Mr Zero
Finti sweetheart don't have a fit - that was merely the rhetorical (ie insincere & thus in no need of an answer) question you asked for.

finti
you got a rhetorical answer cool wink and by the way it wasnt the best of examples cause questions like that will get you an answer.

WhiteEagle
I know man, doesn't mean we can't discuss the literal meaning of the phrase.

m!$hA
a wood chuck would chuck as much as he could coz a wood chuck could chuck wood smart

Samurai Guy
The man with all the answers finally decided to drop in. big grin Thank you for your most heartfelt input on the necessity of this thread.

The whole purpose behind philosophy is to DISCUSS things. I originally made this thread as a joke and posted it in the OTF anyways, but a moderator felt it would be better off here.

... roll eyes (sarcastic)

I think we all know what a Rhetorical Question is anyways....

Lord Soth
Why are we here?

Is there a higher purpose for us?

Why hasn't Dick Clark died yet?

Imperial_Samura
Why am I surrounded by these incompetent fools?

Will we ever learn the truth?

Imperial_Samura
Do you expect an answer to that?

Imperial_Samura
Where are the Snowdens of Yesteryear?

Lord Soth
Who Let the Dogs Out?

Ytaker
1. Which forest is this, that has no animals to hear?

2. The egg. The chicken was born out of the egg which had the potencial to make a chicken.

3. It's the sound when the top of one hand hits the bottom of it. If you disagree, and believe it takes two, you are an idiot. That is like asking what a two sided square looks like.

Turbo-Cajun
rhetoric questions are not meant to be answered, while you ytaker have bravely pushed forwards the envelope of knowledge and answered all these questions, you forget that rhetorical questions are supposed to only raise more questions, not provide people with answers. If you try come up with these answers you run the risk of sounding retarded.

Ytaker
Yes. But whilst questions are important, preening like a puff is more so.

I have a logical brain, and I couldn't care less about the concept of the "idea" of a chicken before the egg making it real. There's an answer by Terry Pratchet for every rhetorical question , and if i can, i quote it.
The one hand clapping, I answered with an answer to the deeper question as well.

Turbo-Cajun
apparently Terry Prachet doesn't understand what rhetorical questions purpose is either...

Ytaker
No, he just gets paid to amuse us. What is the deeper significance behind this question, what is the next conundrum in this series, out of curiosity?

Turbo-Cajun
"How many miles does a man have to walk before you can call him a man?"

There is no number of miles that determine if you are a man or not, and the question isn't really talking about walking, its about what do you have to do before you reach a level of wisdom or maturity where understand what is really happening. At least thats how I interpret that. There are different interpretations of this and if you have a well reasoned answer that makes sense to you then you are also correct.

However, if you decide that the answer is 10 you are missing the point of the question.... do you understand?

Ytaker
Wrong question. I understand that one, but I don't understand the tree one.

Turbo-Cajun
I thought we talking about lessons from rhetorical questions in general, and I believe that I proved my point concerning rhetorical questions' ability to stimulate question asking. If you want an explaination on the tree falling in a forest, I will have to think about what that question means to me for a while before I can give you an answer.

Ytaker
Any thoughts yet?

ragesRemorse
How do they get the deer to cross at the yellow crossing signs?

If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it then kitty litter?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.